PDA

View Full Version : Modern Day Steve Owens

TXBOOMER
11/29/2009, 03:39 PM
Toby Gerhart of Stanford. Watching Gerhart last night was like watching the highlight video of Steve Owens they showed at the game yesterday. Hitting the hole hard, side steeping with great balance and power running. I hope the dude wins the Heisman.

delhalew
11/29/2009, 03:41 PM
You are absolutely correct.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137655

the_sooners_abide
11/29/2009, 03:44 PM
Nah, he's more like the Gray Ghost from "Everybody's All-American."

TXBOOMER
11/29/2009, 03:45 PM
Woops...I agree with all my fellow Soonerfans members that have already had this discussion. Last night was the first time I have got to see the guy. He is awesome. Chase Beeler is also very good. Showed lots of grit as well.

westcoast_sooner
11/29/2009, 06:05 PM
GREAT comparison. Hadn't thought of it, but you're right. Great balance, excellent power.

Sabanball
11/29/2009, 07:08 PM
With CJ Spiller's and Mark Ingram's bad performances this weekend, I think this kid earned a lot of street cred yesterday with the Heisman voters.

Sooner04
11/29/2009, 07:42 PM
Get back to me when Gerhart has 55 carries in a game.

I'd like to see him win the Heisman too, but these things seem to be decided in September more often than not these days.

C&CDean
11/29/2009, 07:47 PM

I'd like to see him win the Heisman too, but these things seem to be decided in September more often than not these days.

No ****. I honestly haven't watched this kid run. Not a single down. Not one run ever. And I can already tell you who is gonna win the Heisman. Guess what? It ain't this boy. Unfortunately.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2009, 08:16 PM

Anyone can carry the ball 55 times if they are given the ball 55 times. By the same token, I am not necessarily impressed with a QB that throws it 55 times.

Gerhart is pretty incredible and I don't want to see us face him. At all. He is the only player in the country I can say that.

Sooner04
11/29/2009, 09:53 PM
Anyone can carry the ball 55 times if they are given the ball 55 times. By the same token, I am not necessarily impressed with a QB that throws it 55 times.
A QB who makes 55 throws does not get hit 55 times unless he's playing the '85 Bears. A RB with 55 carries is getting smacked every time.

ndpruitt03
11/29/2009, 09:56 PM
A QB who makes 55 throws does not get hit 55 times unless he's playing the '85 Bears. A RB with 55 carries is getting smacked every time.

Not if he goes the distance a lot. But you have a point

stoops the eternal pimp
11/29/2009, 10:55 PM

Gerhart is pretty incredible and I don't want to see us face him. At all. He is the only player in the country I can say that.

I dont agree with this at all....I know OU doesnt have a back who can do it

stoops the eternal pimp
11/29/2009, 10:57 PM
BTW, he compares more to former Stanford back "Touchdown" Tommy Vardell than anybody else

Leroy Lizard
11/30/2009, 12:16 AM

You misunderstand. Gerhart cannot carry it 55 times simply because he isn't going to be given the chance. For the same reason, we don't hand the Heisman trophy out to the QB who throws it the most.

badger
11/30/2009, 12:45 AM
This is a year when voters can really go with a minor candidate, a non-quarterback, a non-big conference athlete. Hell, they could even go with another defensive guy.

This isn't like last year, where you had to vote for one of three top QB's at the three top schools blah blah blah.

This year, they can think outside the ESPN box and go with a guy that would normally not be a Heisman candidate.

That said, I hope the finalists include both Gerhart and Suh.