PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Bobby B. to call it quits?

Jacie
11/29/2009, 02:24 PM
With all due respect to JoePa, who has shown everyone that an octogenarian can still hold his own amongst college football coaches, I encourage Bowden the Elder to step down now.

Earlier this year, following a loss to USF Bowden in all seriousness at the postgame press conference stated, "Man, they were a lot better than I thought they'd be!" It was like he had never coached a college game before.

Fast forward to yesterday. Seminoles were getting drubbed 30-zip on the road by the Gators. Last play of the 3rd quarter, Noles got the ball, 4th and goal at the Gator 2 yard line. He sends in the field goal unit instead of going for the touchdown.

He's lost touch with the game and not even assistants seem able to make any headway. I suppose they could let the other coaches completely take over and keep him as head coach in name only if they haven't already . . .

OUHOMER
11/29/2009, 02:28 PM
hard to give up millions fo dollars for doing nothing

delhalew
11/29/2009, 02:43 PM
WAY PAST TIME.

For crying out load, do some gardening, take up whittling, start making your own shine...do something just let go of FSU so they can be competitive again.

ouduckhunter
11/29/2009, 02:44 PM
Bobby B is a class act, and he's done a lot of good at FSU, and for college football, but it's time for him to go!

I get the fact that he loves the school, loves coaching, built the program, etc, but enough is enough! Do the right thing Bobby, show how much you love your school and team, and let them kick you upstairs to some honorary, or non coaching position!

IMHO, there isn't a school out there, including OU, that should ever allow their football program to be dragged into the ground out of loyalty to their old ball coach. The old coach needs to do the right thing and step aside and allow younger talent to take over!

Boomer!!

delhalew
11/29/2009, 02:52 PM
I have serious doubts about Bowden being a class act. Either way, he has not been getting the job done for quite some time.

sooner59
11/29/2009, 02:53 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about Bob Barry Sr.

yermom
11/29/2009, 03:33 PM
they were saying at some game this year he didn't even know the score of the game at some point

it's probably time for him to get some sort of "admin" position in the athletic department

i'm pretty sure he's been hanging on to get the wins record, but Joe Pa has kinda owned him in the last few years

the_sooners_abide
11/29/2009, 03:35 PM
Yes he should go. But FSU should have handled this with class instead of forcing out the guy that put them on the map.

delhalew
11/29/2009, 04:18 PM
Yes he should go. But FSU should have handled this with class instead of forcing out the guy that put them on the map.

They've given him several opportunities over the last few seasons.

His GIGANTIC EGO won't let him do the right thing.

ashley
11/29/2009, 08:31 PM
Stay and tell them to gf.

olevetonahill
11/29/2009, 08:32 PM
Do we really Care ?:confused:

delhalew
11/29/2009, 08:33 PM
Do we really Care ?:confused:

Not really:D

olevetonahill
11/29/2009, 08:40 PM
Not really:D

What I were thinkin
just something to talk about, Kinda like ND and Tiger.
But In the end who gives a **** ?
:pop:

delhalew
11/29/2009, 08:45 PM
Well I would like for FSU to be strong since we are starting a home and away with them. However, that series starts next year...so they will suck when we play them.

Sasakwa
11/29/2009, 10:30 PM
I care because if FSU and Miami are relevant again they can recruit some of that Florida talent that is going to the Gators. There is just too much HS talent in that state to only have one elite program. I want FSU, Miami, UCF, South Florida, etc. to steal some of those athletes from Meyer.

And yes, Bowden should go. I think he's just hangin around to get the record from JoePa.

And a double yes on Bob Barry going. Please.

bri
11/29/2009, 11:21 PM
Bowden should have left almost a decade ago. It's been like a dang ol' nightmare, or whatever it was that Coach Grandpa blurted out after we dismantled their "dynasty" in the 2001 Orange Bowl.

Sooner74
11/30/2009, 12:43 AM
I grew up a Nolie and am a Sooner,but I have to got to disagree with the person doubting Bobby Bowden as a person. Maybe he isn't what he used to be as a coach, but their is no doubt in my mind who he is as a person. He is past his prime by 3 years and I saw this coming. How demoralizing would you feel when you put 30 years into a program and to have some young gun be a "Head Coach in Waiting". The dude put FSU on the map and had top 5 rankings for 14 years straight. Ponder that record.

Wouldn't it stab you just a little to know what you worked so hard to put together fell apart like water touching paper machete? His heart, soul, and knowledge are still envied by most coaches. I am not saying he doesn't need to go because he definately does, but some degree of respect and gratitude must be directed his way because he is a living legend and needs to be treated like one.

Personally, I would let him be HC by title only and have Jimbo and the boys run the show. From the outside it would look like he is running it, but ol Jimbo would be putting the machine in motion. Honorary positions are great and all, but convince someone who has built something like FSU was to take that is a different story.

Here is to Bobby and his decision, based on logic and reasoning. The heart can really play games with people that have a passion as strong as his.

delhalew
11/30/2009, 01:04 AM
I've seen his votes in the Coaches Poll over the years. **** Bobby Bowden.

All prejudice-no reality.

westcoast_sooner
11/30/2009, 01:14 AM
Understand the sentiment 74, and agree that Bowden has been the guy who built the Noles into a power. But, IMO, FSU should face facts and find a way for him to bow out gracefully so they can move on.

boomermagic
11/30/2009, 09:38 AM
With all due respect to JoePa, who has shown everyone that an octogenarian can still hold his own amongst college football coaches, I encourage Bowden the Elder to step down now.

Earlier this year, following a loss to USF Bowden in all seriousness at the postgame press conference stated, "Man, they were a lot better than I thought they'd be!" It was like he had never coached a college game before.

Fast forward to yesterday. Seminoles were getting drubbed 30-zip on the road by the Gators. Last play of the 3rd quarter, Noles got the ball, 4th and goal at the Gator 2 yard line. He sends in the field goal unit instead of going for the touchdown.

He's lost touch with the game and not even assistants seem able to make any headway. I suppose they could let the other coaches completely take over and keep him as head coach in name only if they haven't already . . .

It's time..

stoopified
11/30/2009, 09:40 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about Bob Barry Sr.:D

Tulsa_Fireman
11/30/2009, 09:59 AM
Wouldn't it stab you just a little to know what you worked so hard to put together fell apart like water touching paper machete?

Dude, I totally want a paper machete.

Can you cut down paper reeds and vines in the paper jungle? Maybe defend yourself from a paper tiger?

StoopTroup
11/30/2009, 10:00 AM
He should stay until he dies and even then...they should probably hire a good taxidermist to keep things rolling along.

JohnnyMack
11/30/2009, 10:35 AM
I'm pretty sure he's been hanging on to get the wins record, but Joe Pa has kinda owned him in the last few years

This.

He's trying to play chicken with JoePa to see who will blink first and end up with the record.

I think at this point he's about 5 games behind JoePa, I can't see how one more season will make a difference.

soonermix
11/30/2009, 03:15 PM
bowden should be able to stay as long as he wants.
he built that program. it is his. he can do what ever he wants with it.
it was the suck before he got there it will be the suck after he leaves.