PDA

View Full Version : Cory Brandon

TXBOOMER
11/29/2009, 01:53 PM
I had no hope for him before yesterday. Now, I have high hope for Mr. Brandon. Playing left tackle yesterday, I saw him finish several blocks with pokes landing on their back sides. Maybe the left side is a more natural position for him. Maybe the opposition sucked. Whatever the case, I was thoroughly impressed with him for the first time this year. If he has a good offseason he may very well be a bright spot next year. Boomer!

IronHorseSooner
11/29/2009, 02:04 PM
As I've said before, he was recruited to play LT. He played that in high school, and he was Big Phil's understudy. When's he's been in there replacing T-Will, he has done well. When he's been on the right side, he has struggled.

delhalew
11/29/2009, 03:06 PM
Not everyone can be an Eldridge style, play any position you ask them type of guy.

IronHorseSooner
11/29/2009, 03:10 PM
Not everyone can be an Eldridge style, play any position you ask them type of guy.

No, but I am interested to see what Eric Mensik does. He played RT yesterday, but he's a natural TE. We could probably use him as an H-Back/ FB next year, as well. The thing about both of these guys is that they are going to be seniors and will be look to for leadership next year.

rawlingsHOH
12/1/2009, 07:26 PM
No, but I am interested to see what Eric Mensik does. He played RT yesterday, but he's a natural TE. We could probably use him as an H-Back/ FB next year, as well. The thing about both of these guys is that they are going to be seniors and will be look to for leadership next year.

Not really. I think he plays OL next season.

IronHorseSooner
12/1/2009, 09:19 PM
Not really. I think he plays OL next season.

If he's good, I woulf\d be all for it. Look, Chris Chester did it, and he's made himself a nice career at the next level. If he does play OL, the coaches may look to put about 15 lbs. on him.

goingoneight
12/2/2009, 03:58 PM
While the angry fan wants to fire coaches and bench starters, fact is the coaches know who the best they've got is. If CB was the best option at RT going into the year... it just meant we were in for a long year.

When you get game experience under your belt and coaches continue to push you and motivate you, one should EXPECT improvement. Cory might have seemed like the next XLK, Norman version... but he's definitely turned it around and shown positive improvement. With this year's OL, you have to be thankful for the little things like that.

Breadburner
12/2/2009, 07:27 PM
O-Line is a position that palyers can and will get better/develop at.....

TXBOOMER
12/2/2009, 07:43 PM
O-Line is a position that palyers can and will get better/develop at.....

Not all O-Lineman develop. Lots of big time programs waste skollies on OL busts.

rawlingsHOH
12/2/2009, 08:05 PM
Not all O-Lineman develop. Lots of big time programs waste skollies on OL busts.

And K and WR and LB, etc, etc, etc

Every position.

Jmorales22
12/2/2009, 10:16 PM
LT is the most important position on the line (with a right handed qb) so that's why Trent was moved there. That put Cory on the right side. It's interesting though, perhaps we would have been better off with the opposite all along. I don't think Trent has been that great at LT. Could be a valid criticism of Patton...

illinisooner
12/2/2009, 10:32 PM
Not an offensive lineman here, but is it really that difficult to play right tackle instead of left? And wouldn't left be tougher anyway? It's not like he's switching to guard or something.

rawlingsHOH
12/2/2009, 10:38 PM
Difficulties of Trent going from RT to LT...

A. learning different footwork. Not a huge deal, but takes muscle memory.
B. generally playing against a faster, more explosive, rusher.
C. your mistakes are usually exposed a little more, because often times the QB doesn't see your guy like he often would see the RT.

rawlingsHOH
12/2/2009, 10:42 PM
LT is the most important position on the line (with a right handed qb) so that's why Trent was moved there. That put Cory on the right side. It's interesting though, perhaps we would have been better off with the opposite all along. I don't think Trent has been that great at LT. Could be a valid criticism of Patton...

I think Cory is probably a more natural LT, because I think he struggles at the point of attack in the run game, and you usually want a mauler at RT. CB is a little more "finesse" than physical.