PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the world of Environmental Wackos

I Am Right
11/29/2009, 11:49 AM
Minnesota: Trees Vandalized
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: November 27, 2009

Investigators are trying to determine who drove six-inch nails into hundreds of red pine trees near Backus. They think the vandals might have thought they were saving the trees from logging; about 100 of the 600 trees were slated to be cut down and sold this month. But now the entire forest will be cut down because of safety concerns, the authorities said. Mike Diekmann of the Cass County Sheriff’s Office said that if a saw hit one of the nails, “it would explode like a gun going off” and could cause serious injury.

Only in the world of Wackos. Geees

11/29/2009, 12:00 PM
Honestly, what is it like to live in your world?

I only ask because you seemed so consumed with politics. Does it never occur to you that this obsession might be odd?

Seriously... I don't mean to offend, but seriously...

I Am Right
11/29/2009, 12:34 PM
Honestly, what is it like to live in your world?

I only ask because you seemed so consumed with politics. Does it never occur to you that this obsession might be odd?

Seriously... I don't mean to offend, but seriously...

Are you upset about something? Sooo- I guess somebody did not drive nails into the trees. Geeees

Veritas
11/29/2009, 12:56 PM
But now the entire forest will be cut down because of safety concerns, the authorities said.
That's the best part. Stupid earth-worshippers.

soonerhubs
11/29/2009, 01:29 PM
Are you upset about something? Sooo- I guess somebody did not drive nails into the trees. Geeees

That's funny. He didn't exhibit any anger. I'd suggest, in fact, that 12 is one of the most level headed people on here. He merely pointed out your obsession.

I Am Right
11/29/2009, 01:32 PM
That's funny. He didn't exhibit any anger. I'd suggest, in fact, that 12 is one of the most level headed people on here. He merely pointed out your obsession.

Then why the post, I think it is projection anyway.

I Am Right
11/29/2009, 01:33 PM

Maybe he is an osu fan?

GottaHavePride
11/29/2009, 05:52 PM
1. Clearly you don't know 12thManSoonerFan very well...

2. dude, I don't think someone has to be "projecting" to ask "why is every post you make connected to politics somehow?" I mean, even SicEm - who is without a doubt THE most politics-obsessed person I've ever seen - joins in the rest of the shenanigans around here from time to time.

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2009, 05:54 PM
"Hey, these ******rockets put spikes in these trees so nobody could cut them down safely! We could 1) not cut them down or 2) clear cut them so they don't pose a danger any longer!"

Clearly, cutting the trees down is the most reasonable solution.

Which is not to say that the initial vandalism is justified of course, though I'm sure someone will take it that way.

Boarder
11/29/2009, 06:11 PM
It should be an eye-opening experience to you if 12 finds it bad enough to comment. He's one of the nicest guys here.

And the tree-spiking is just a bit of monkeywrenching. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkey_Wrench_Gang) Environmentalists who advocate this type of action believe that a bit of vandalism is acceptable in order to conserve as much of nature as possible. It is meant to be a nonviolent means of civil disobedience (http://www.earthfirstjournal.org/subsection.php?id=2) toward inanimate objects. Tree-spiking is meant to be a deterrent. If you know there are spikes, leave the trees alone.

I don't advocate the practice, but have studied it a bit.

Fraggle145
11/29/2009, 07:28 PM
"Hey, these ******rockets put spikes in these trees so nobody could cut them down safely! We could 1) not cut them down or 2) clear cut them so they don't pose a danger any longer!"

Clearly, cutting the trees down is the most reasonable solution.

Which is not to say that the initial vandalism is justified of course, though I'm sure someone will take it that way.

The funniest part is they dont pose a danger to anyone unless you try to cut them down... So lets cut them down, just to make sure they are dangerous.

KABOOKIE
11/29/2009, 07:43 PM
This thread is political?

I Am Right
11/29/2009, 08:20 PM

2. dude, I don't think someone has to be "projecting" to ask "why is every post you make connected to politics somehow?" I mean, even SicEm - who is without a doubt THE most politics-obsessed person I've ever seen - joins in the rest of the shenanigans around here from time to time.

What the h*** does politics have to do with nails in trees. I am not the one finding ghosts under the bed.

I Am Right
11/29/2009, 08:21 PM
This thread is political?

Got me? maybe they were partisan nails?

SicEmBaylor
11/30/2009, 01:45 PM

Hell, I often am the shenanigan.

NormanPride
11/30/2009, 02:46 PM
On your good days you are the only shenanigan.

BermudaSooner
12/1/2009, 12:25 AM
It should be an eye-opening experience to you if 12 finds it bad enough to comment. He's one of the nicest guys here.

And the tree-spiking is just a bit of monkeywrenching. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkey_Wrench_Gang) Environmentalists who advocate this type of action believe that a bit of vandalism is acceptable in order to conserve as much of nature as possible. It is meant to be a nonviolent means of civil disobedience (http://www.earthfirstjournal.org/subsection.php?id=2) toward inanimate objects. Tree-spiking is meant to be a deterrent. If you know there are spikes, leave the trees alone.

I don't advocate the practice, but have studied it a bit.

Only a wacko tree hugger would put the life of a tree over a human. Disgraceful.

Boarder
12/1/2009, 12:03 PM
They don't put the life of trees over that of humans. (for the most part) It's not an either/or thing. It's a "don't cut the trees down" thing.

BermudaSooner
12/1/2009, 05:33 PM
They don't put the life of trees over that of humans. (for the most part) It's not an either/or thing. It's a "don't cut the trees down" thing.

Yea, "don't cut the trees down" cause if you do you could be killed or severely injured.

Kinda like putting land mines around the extra shipment of zhu zhu pets at the Walmart. It isn't a life of other shoppers over my desire to buy a zhu zhu pet for my kid, it is more of a "don't go near the zhu zhu pet" thing because I want it.

It is a disgraceful practice.

I Am Right
12/1/2009, 07:04 PM

Spin

SCOUT
12/1/2009, 07:14 PM

I have to admit that this doesn't really cut it (cool, a pun!) with me. In other words, if you don't agree with me and do what I oppose, you may die.

I don't really support that. The analogy could be made like this. If you want to abolish guns, I am going to shoot you. It is an either/or thing. If you don't oppose gun control, then you are safe. Probably not a good idea.

KABOOKIE
12/1/2009, 09:03 PM

I might give a **** if the hippies doing this could show me their life was free of wood products.

12/1/2009, 11:24 PM
I agree their tactics are messed up... no human out there earning his or her living should be placed in extraordinary danger for doing their job because a "cause" is against what they are doing. However, there needs to be an understanding why the cause is there in the first place.

I haven't researched the argument or this case at all... my original comment/question was very specific.

And thanks for backing me up, Boarder... 2 Nekkid Lady mudflap speck.

Fraggle145
12/1/2009, 11:55 PM
I have to admit that this doesn't really cut it (cool, a pun!) with me. In other words, if you don't agree with me and do what I oppose, you may die.

I don't really support that. The analogy could be made like this. If you want to abolish guns, I am going to shoot you. It is an either/or thing. If you don't oppose gun control, then you are safe. Probably not a good idea.

It happens all the time, just it usually happens the other way around with the people with a lot more money saying, you may die. For some reason in this country that is much more acceptable. :confused:

SCOUT
12/2/2009, 12:12 AM
It happens all the time, just it usually happens the other way around with the people with a lot more money saying, you may die. For some reason in this country that is much more acceptable. :confused:

I am confused by what seems to be circular logic. Are you saying that it is OK for people with money to endanger life and limb because of principle? If you are not, then you would have to be condemning the rich, the gun nut AND the environmentalist. Right?

Boarder
12/2/2009, 01:23 AM
Spin
It's not spin. It's a fact. That is their ideology. Not everything is to be spun one way or another. Some things just are the way they are.

Boarder
12/2/2009, 01:27 AM

The better analogy would be to say that if you don't oppose gun control and you come into my bedroom I will shoot you. You have been forewarned, don't come into my bedroom.

Boarder
12/2/2009, 01:34 AM
I might give a **** if the hippies doing this could show me their life was free of wood products.
It's not that they are against all wood products. Only the ones that are taken from current wilderness areas. If you notice, almost all spiking protests happen when a logging company wants to harvest an area that is currently protected as a National Wilderness Area or the like.

They are trying to save as much wilderness/nature as possible. Most believe that there will be an inevitable ecological holocaust. The more radical faction believes that humans won't survive and we should save enough nature that the earth can replenish itself. Kind of like avoiding the Matrix scorching the sky thing. The less radical faction (such as the current version of Earth First!) believes that humans can be educated as to what is coming and it may be prevented. If it can't be prevented, there should be a two pronged approach of saving enough nature and educating those in the know of how to survive.

Again, I don't condone these actions. I'm trying to give an explanation of their ideology.

Spin? Please.

Fraggle145
12/2/2009, 01:41 AM
I am confused by what seems to be circular logic. Are you saying that it is OK for people with money to endanger life and limb because of principle? If you are not, then you would have to be condemning the rich, the gun nut AND the environmentalist. Right?

No I wasnt saying it was okay. I dont think either side is okay. I was just pointing out that this often happens the other way around, but to me it doesnt seem that people get in nearly as big of a twist about it then. And it is kind of circular logic, basically 'what is good for the goose, is good for the gander' or something like that.

12/2/2009, 02:25 AM
Then why the post, I think it is projection anyway.

I wasn't "projecting" anything. I was merely observing.