PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Vacancies

the_sooners_abide
11/29/2009, 11:13 AM
Will any school take KW off our hands? Or any of our staff for that matter? Will BV finally get his shot? Here are some of the schools who will probably be in the market for head coaches. Most of these vacancies are only likely, not official.

2nd tier teams
-ND
-Kansas
-Illinois
-Maryland (they have a HC-designate)
-Virginia
-Washington State
-Florida State (HC-designate)
-Louisville
-NC State
-Indiana

3rd tier teams
-New Mexico
-UNLV
-North Texas
-UTEP

OUmillenium
11/29/2009, 11:15 AM
Mike Price out at UTEP?

the_sooners_abide
11/29/2009, 11:20 AM
Not official, just a strong possibility according to a few websites.

tanjou
11/29/2009, 12:17 PM
Kevin Wilson will not leave this season, and you shouldn't want him to.

He's a great OC. He was known for his schemes before Oklahoma, he's still known for them while here. Coaches from around the country look at his offense for new kinks and techniques. Anyone who wants to claim that Wilson is a poor OC must reconcile his performance last season with this one and not mention the word "injuries." Additionally, he has been interviewed for other jobs previously, but word is he is a poor interviewer. That's okay with me.

Jacie
11/29/2009, 01:42 PM
Remember when Kragthorpe was the next Big Thing among coaches? He went from hero at Tulsa to goat at Louisville in three short years.

In the modern era, Louisville has been where coaches go to add more L's than W's to their record. It should be listed under the 3rd tier category until someone proves otherwise.

Curly Bill
11/29/2009, 01:57 PM
Anyone who want's to say how good KW was last year must mention the multitude of weapons he had at his disposal. I'd love for someone to take Mr Big 10 off our hands.

IronHorseSooner
11/29/2009, 02:01 PM
-ND: They want a big name, but will likely get a second-tier guy.
-Kansas: Will always play second-fiddle to the basketball team.
-Illinois: Should do better with St. Louis and Chicago recruits right there.
-Maryland & FSU: HC-designates will get the job.
-Virginia: Groh has been an @$$hat; however, it is also a BBALL school.
-Washington State: Wolff= John Blake. They have a long way to go.
-Louisville: The talk is either Fat Phil or Charlie Strong on this one. BBALL school.
-NC State: Name coach, high hopes, incredibly disappointing season. They do have talent, though. Also a BBALL school.
-Indiana: See Kansas, UVA, NC State, and the 'Ville.
-New Mexico: Brand-new coach. Will they give him another year? Also a BBALL school.
-UNLV: See Kansas, IU, UVA, NC State, NM, and the 'Ville.
-North Texas: Todd Dodge would be better as an OC somewhere.
-UTEP: I think Mike Price's act has worn out. However, he's about as big of a name as they are going to get out there.

Of those, half are BBALL school traps. Two will be internal hires. UNT and UTEP will never get to an elite level. Wazzu is a graveyard, and that is why they have an underqualified alum running that team. Illinois and ND are about the only two places where anybody of note or high aspirations would go. ND still thinks that this is the 1940s and that they are the a football superpower, and will try to get a big name. Illinois would be the only place where one of our guys would go, and it's not a bad job. You could clean house on recruits. However, I just don't see any of OUr coordinators going anywhere. Last year- Yes. This year- No.

yermom
11/29/2009, 02:11 PM
maybe Mike Price should go back to Wazzou

IronHorseSooner
11/29/2009, 02:12 PM
maybe Mike Price should go back to Wazzou

I was just thinking that.

Jacie
11/29/2009, 02:13 PM
--North Texas: Todd Dodge would be better as an OC somewhere.

Southlake Carroll? Do highschools, even Texas highschools, have OC's?

Curly Bill
11/29/2009, 02:14 PM
Southlake Carroll? Do highschools, even Texas highschools, have OC's?

yes

EstablishedSooner1967
11/29/2009, 02:16 PM
Well, Wilson could go to any of those schools.... BV is better than all of them outside of ND..

Soonerman08
11/29/2009, 02:22 PM
Kevin Wilson will not leave this season, and you shouldn't want him to.

He's a great OC. He was known for his schemes before Oklahoma, he's still known for them while here. Coaches from around the country look at his offense for new kinks and techniques. Anyone who wants to claim that Wilson is a poor OC must reconcile his performance last season with this one and not mention the word "injuries." Additionally, he has been interviewed for other jobs previously, but word is he is a poor interviewer. That's okay with me.

He does have very good passing schemes, with that being said there are two problems with Kevin Wilson. 1. He's had quite the blunders and even admitted to them when calling plays, and often at times where we should have great opportunities to score (see Florida game, Colorado 2007, Tech, Miami 2009, etc.) 2. His running schemes suck. There is little creativity when it comes to his run plays (no true option, little to no misdirection (sorry, but the end around can't honestly be the only misdirection play in our playbook can it?).

We get extremely predictable when we line up in the I. The Wildcat formation is a good formation but only works when your line can block, and you have a lead blocker out there to guide the running back.

He just needs to throw some wrinkles into our run game.

royalfan5
11/29/2009, 02:45 PM
Marshall and Virginia are now open as well.