PDA

View Full Version : Pete Carroll move

Funky G
11/29/2009, 11:05 AM
Wow. Up 21-7 with 48 seconds left USC has the ball at midfield. UCLA calls timeout. The next play USC throws the bomb to make it 28-7. Carroll celebrates, the benches empty, and minor chaos ensues.

I am watching to see if the national media calls this clown out for this classless move.

Al Gore
11/29/2009, 11:11 AM
Yep.....he is a wanky boy....

meoveryouxinfinity
11/29/2009, 11:11 AM
I am sure there are already threads about this. but let me say, what a freaking jackass.

OUMedMan
11/29/2009, 11:16 AM
Classless move?

Why don't you add the rest of the story????

Which was -- USC was up two touchdowns, and had a first down at midfield with 54 seconds left in the freakin' game. They went into the "coverup" formation, and their quarterback took a knee.

UCLA, with three timeouts left, immediately called a timeout.

The next play, USC was in a spread formation, and UCLA rushed everyone to get the quarterback -- with the result that all he had to do was throw the ball down the middle of the field to a wide open receiver for a touchdown.

What, pray tell, should have Carroll done? USC obviously signaled to UCLA that they were willing to call the dogs off -- but UCLA turned down their gesture, and obviously was still trying to set up a situation in which they could score and win the game, however unlikely that would have been.

Maybe you think USC should have started taking a knee with five minutes to go? Perhaps purposely throw incomplete passes so UCLA wouldn't waste their timeouts?

Kudos to Carroll for what he did.

OU-HSV
11/29/2009, 11:17 AM
I'll tell you what is so damn funny about that....the fact that he had the nerve to question Stanford coach Harbaugh a few weeks ago for putting up so many points.
F*CK pete carroll

bringit
11/29/2009, 11:19 AM
Carroll finished what Neuheisel started.

1890MilesToNorman
11/29/2009, 11:20 AM
I'll tell you what is so damn funny about that....the fact that he had the nerve to question Stanford coach Harbaugh a few weeks ago for putting up so many points.
F*CK pete carroll

^^^^ This is what is special. LMAO :D

OU-HSV
11/29/2009, 11:20 AM
Classless move?

Which was -- USC was up two touchdowns, and had a first down at midfield with 54 seconds left in the freakin' game. They went into the "coverup" formation, and their quarterback took a knee.

The next play, USC was in a spread formation, and UCLA rushed everyone to get the quarterback -- with the result that all he had to do was throw the ball down the middle of the field to a wide open receiver for a touchdown.

What, pray tell, should have Carroll done? USC obviously signaled to UCLA that they were willing to call the dogs off -- but UCLA turned down their gesture, and obviously was still trying to set up a situation in which they could score and win the game, however unlikely that would have been.

Maybe you think USC should have started taking a knee with five minutes to go? Perhaps purposely throw incomplete passes so UCLA wouldn't waste their timeouts?

Here's a thought...How about they could have run the ball and been tackled like most coaches would do in that situation. That still forces the other coach to use timeouts...much more than an incomplete pass would've done. And then they can punt and hope that they're defense stops them from scoring and coming in reach of one more score of winning or tying it up or whatever it would've done. That's usually how coaches coach the end of those type of games.
Of course ucla wanted to use their timeouts. That was their only last hope of being able to win. Pete Carroll is a p.o.s.
Period.

OU-HSV
11/29/2009, 11:22 AM
^^^^ This is what is special. LMAO :D

Exactly, its like I said after that Stanford game. Sorry Pete, what comes around goes around.

And this TD pass last night will only justify future teams piling points on the scoreboard against usc when the opportunity arises again.

delhalew
11/29/2009, 11:23 AM
F*CK pete carroll

This. I'll say again. Anytime you can score do it. Don't pity me and don't pity my team.

BUT...don't bitch about the running up of a score unless you plan on laying down like a lame dog for the rest of your life.

Carrol is a C**t.

the_sooners_abide
11/29/2009, 11:29 AM
is carrol being a dildo recent news?

delhalew
11/29/2009, 11:33 AM
is carrol being a dildo recent news?

nope. It'sjust fun to say it every time the topic comes up.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/29/2009, 11:42 AM
F*CK pete carroll

THIS

and the celebrating like you won the freakin' special Olympics on the sideline was the classless part.

Dan Thompson
11/29/2009, 11:50 AM
I thought the we has set the example on the last series by running the ball.

Pete must not have been watching the game, or he was trying to improve his season.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/29/2009, 11:59 AM
Classless move?

Kudos to Carroll for what he did.You may be the only condom lurking on this board. I sure don't remember seeing very many of them around here, evar.

Jacie
11/29/2009, 12:03 PM
I was working and didn't catch anything but highlights but the one that sticks out in my mind, since the topic is P.o.S. moves, was the Florida Gator who scored a touchdown then proceeded to rear back and heave the ball into the stands.

I hope that got his team a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. IMO, he should have been ejected.

Funky G
11/29/2009, 12:25 PM
Score was 21-7 with 48 seconds left so the comment about timeouts to win the game is stupid and you are an obvious USC fan. No rationalization whatsoever can justify this classless move.

Curly Bill
11/29/2009, 02:09 PM
If the buzzer hasn't gone off you're entitled to run whatever play you want, it's the other teams job to stop you, not your job to stop yourself.

That being said, Pete should have accepted that idea against Stanford.

EstablishedSooner1967
11/29/2009, 02:18 PM
WHATS YOUR DEAL?

BoulderSooner79
11/29/2009, 02:24 PM
I think Rick got what he wanted. Maybe he didn't want the score to happen, but he probably didn't really care. He is in a similar situation with UCLA/USC as the pokes are in against us. He is trying to make the matchup a real rivalry instead of being little brother. Whether you agree with the method, he did get air-time and press out of it. Even though USC was able to prove their superiority with the TD play, Petey did let himself get drawn in. I'm still pulling for slick Rick to at least steal a few key recruits and get UCLA respectable.

Monster Zero
11/29/2009, 02:35 PM
Classless move?

No fans of Pete Carroll around here, but it does help to have the other side of the story.

Not exactly a fan of pretty-boy Neuheisel either... What did he think he was gonna do down 14 points with less than a minute to go? One would have to assume that he expected to score a TD, recover an onside kick, and then go score another TD, all in let's be generous and say 45 seconds.

Riiiight...

Rocker
11/29/2009, 03:11 PM
WHATS YOUR DEAL?

Maybe Mike Stoops will run it up on Petey next week.

soonerhubs
11/29/2009, 03:43 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0911/rare.parcells.photos/images/bill-parcells-pete-carroll.jpg

I just saw this picture in SI's vault the other day. What's a good title for it?

Class meets Trash?

meoveryouxinfinity
11/29/2009, 03:49 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0911/rare.parcells.photos/images/bill-parcells-pete-carroll.jpg

I just saw this picture in SI's vault the other day. What's a good title for it?

Class meets Trash?

1 out of every 2 coaches fail.
Pick the failure.

BoulderSooner79
11/29/2009, 03:53 PM

Class meets Trash?

Don't put your hand there until we get away from the cameras.

Sooner24
11/29/2009, 05:13 PM
I can't stand Pete Carroll or USC but given the fact they were trying to run out the clock on the play before and UCLA calls a pointless timeout then UCLA got what they deserved.

silverwheels
11/29/2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I would have done the same thing Carroll did. USC wanted to end the game and UCLA wanted it to keep going. OU fans will find any excuse to hate Carroll because he beat our asses 5 years ago.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/29/2009, 06:00 PM
Did you see us passing to the endzone on our last possession? No. Landry was still in but we handed it off to Calhoun every single freaking down. That's what you do when you KNOW (100%) you are going to win the game. If Calhoun scores, then it is great for him and the OSU defense should have caught on and been able to tackle him after running him for the nth consecutive time. It's merely to run out the game and end the game more quickly.

If Neuheisel doesn't take a timeout, UCLA fans gripe and complain that he gave up on the game. USC shouldn't have taken a knee with that much time left and UCLA having all of their timeouts left. But seriously? You throw to endzone? What point does that prove? Nothing.

silverwheels
11/29/2009, 06:03 PM
I really doubt that UCLA fans would have complained had Neuheisel not called a timeout. The game was over, and he wanted it to continue. Plus it was a rivalry game. I would do that to Texas and OSU every chance I got if I were the OU coach. It's Division 1 football. It ain't intramurals. UCLA should have sacked up and stopped them if they didn't want USC to score.

This country is turning into a bunch of pussies.

KYSooner
11/29/2009, 06:06 PM
I really doubt that UCLA fans would have complained had Neuheisel not called a timeout. The game was over, and he wanted it to continue. Plus it was a rivalry game. I would do that to Texas and OSU every chance I got if I were the OU coach. It's Division 1 football. It ain't intramurals. UCLA should have sacked up and stopped them if they didn't want USC to score.

took the words right out of my mouth.

westbrooke
11/29/2009, 06:07 PM
I think the timeout call made this fair game. The real crime is the lack of self-awareness on Pete's part; if he's going to go for a TD like that against a team he already has on the mat, regardless of whether Neuheisel was asking for it, then he can't whine about Harbaugh running it up on him.

bringit
11/29/2009, 06:28 PM
petey stuck it in neuheisel's azz. shouldn't have called TO when the other team's taking a knee to end the game.

SoonerAtKU
11/29/2009, 09:08 PM
What happened is that UCLA figured they'd take their timeouts to pretend that it was a hard-fought game right until the bitter end. Then, they forgot that you still have to play defense, even when you expect the other team to run the clock. I don't fault either one for it. They were both sending a message, and Carroll's was "if you want to play, you'd better ACTUALLY want to play".

Leroy Lizard
11/30/2009, 12:21 AM
I don't understand this point. If you are behind by two TDs and the other team has the ball, shouldn't you use up all of your timeouts? Who wants to go in the locker room as a loser without at least burning your timeouts?

I don't think calling a timeout is an invitation for the other team to run up the score. You call the timeouts so that at least it looks like you are still trying. Who wants to look like a quitter?

badger
11/30/2009, 12:41 AM
Carroll finished what Neuheisel started.

Oh, it is not even CLOSE to being finished - bitterness will continue for many, many more years, whether the weasel wins or not.

TUSooner
11/30/2009, 08:47 AM
Classless move?

THIS. THIS. Tell the whole story, Ya Buncha Wankers!

A lot of people were just wanting that game to end, but Rick Neuhisel had to waste their time with a meaningless timeout. Rick got what he deserved, and at least Petey gave the viewers some entertainment !
And since when does Rick Neuhisel get sympathy around here?!?!?
Pffft. There's notyhing to see here, folks. Everybody pick up your bogus indignation and go home.

TUSooner
11/30/2009, 08:52 AM
I don't understand this point. If you are behind by two TDs and the other team has the ball, shouldn't you use up all of your timeouts? Who wants to go in the locker room as a loser without at least burning your timeouts?

I don't think calling a timeout is an invitation for the other team to run up the score. You call the timeouts so that at least it looks like you are still trying. Who wants to look like a quitter?

Bank on this, whenever two posters agree on anything, Leroy Lizard will disagree in snarky spades. Liz, it's no wonder your dog is unhappy and your little boxes are all red.
And no, there's no reason to burn your timeouts symbolically when all is lost. And if you do that just to make the game go on, then you have no right to blame the other team for continuing to play.
You're posting just to be contrary again. BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Veritas
11/30/2009, 09:15 AM

This. If Stoops had done this to Shades McHairgel this weekend the tone would be totally different.

GrapevineSooner
11/30/2009, 09:29 AM
Did Mike Lupica whine about it on TSR Sunday morning?

GrapevineSooner
11/30/2009, 09:31 AM
Bank on this, whenever two posters agree on anything, Leroy Lizard will disagree in snarky spades. Liz, it's no wonder your dog is unhappy and your little boxes are all red.
And no, there's there's no reason to burn your timeouts symbolically when all is lost. And if you do that just to make the game go on, then you have no right to blame the other team for comntinuing to play.
You're posting just to be contrary again. BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Yep.

It's akin to fouling every chance you get when you're down double digits with less than a minute to go in a basketball game.

Just let the other team dribble the clock out. Or in this case, run the clock out.

VA Sooner
11/30/2009, 11:49 AM
Rick was an idiot... 48 seconds left and down by 14 (and should have been more). There was no way to win... all they did was **** off another coach who WAS trying to do the respectable thing.

As much as I don't like SUC, I have to admit that if I were Pete Carroll telling my team to take a knee and the other team has the audacity to call a timeout, I'd tell my QB to air it out and go for the touchdown.

But Rick Neuheisel handled it well... said that the game wasn't put away yet by two scores and that's why he called the timeout and didn't blame Carroll one bit for going for the long TD.

Just chalk it up as a rivalry brewing on the west coast and two frustrated coaches leaving it on the field... and scoreboard.

PDXsooner
11/30/2009, 11:58 AM
the same people calling carroll a jackas are the same ones defending landry jones THROWING the ball when OU was up on a&m 65-10 in the 4th quarter.

if you don't like it, stop it. sportsmanship is shaking hands and being men AFTER the game. as long as you play within the rules it's all good if you ask me.

carroll had every right to score. especially against neuheisel. when neuheisel was the head coach at colorado he ran a fake punt late in the 4th against oregon in the '96 cotton bowl up 31-6. oregon fans loathe him to this day for it. i always tell them, "why didn't you just stop the fake, then you wouldn't be so mad"?

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2009, 11:59 AM
You've all been taken in by slick Rick - just as Petey was.

MrJimBeam
11/30/2009, 12:08 PM
Who wants to look like a quitter?

With 58 seconds left UCLA quit covering receivers.

Oldnslo
11/30/2009, 12:09 PM
My continuing wish is that it burns whenever Messers Carroll and Neuheisel urinate. If they happen to be urinating on one another at the time, so much the better.

Thank you for your time and attention to this most pressing issue.

TMcGee86
11/30/2009, 12:44 PM
got no problem with it. He tried to end the game and Newy said lets keep going. Pete did, and that's all there is to it. I think calling a TO in that situation is the most bushleague move out there. Nothing pisses me off more.

Plus I can't stand the whole "run up the score" mantra. If you dont want the other team scoring, stop them. I will never fault a coach for doing what he's paid to do. As long as he's not faking a kneel down and chunking it deep ala Buddy Ryan, I got no problem with it.

PDXsooner
11/30/2009, 01:09 PM
got no problem with it. He tried to end the game and Newy said lets keep going. Pete did, and that's all there is to it. I think calling a TO in that situation is the most bushleague move out there. Nothing pisses me off more.

Plus I can't stand the whole "run up the score" mantra. If you dont want the other team scoring, stop them. I will never fault a coach for doing what he's paid to do. As long as he's not faking a kneel down and chunking it deep ala Buddy Ryan, I got no problem with it.

amen

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2009, 01:11 PM
Rick doesn't give a rats azz about that TD. He got air time on ESPN with video of UCLA & USC players taunting each other and threatening to meet at mid-field - mission accomplished. Petey would have been better served to take the knee a couple of times and then punt them to the 2, but he let him emotions get to him. You have to admit it made a boring, meaningless game more entertaining.

Leroy Lizard
11/30/2009, 03:38 PM
With 58 seconds left UCLA quit covering receivers.

But that was the players. I was always told to go all out until the final bell. It's more than symbolism; it's about attitude.

I am not harping on PC, btw. If The Weasel wants the game to continue, okay then. But I don't think calling timeouts is bush league. Being a weasel is, however, bush league.

SoonerMavrick25
11/30/2009, 03:43 PM
Did anyone catch that story about Pete Carrol and the USC program, helping that kid out with cancer on E(u)S(C)PN gameday? I hate USC as much as the next sooner.. But that was an awesome story...

Leroy Lizard
11/30/2009, 03:45 PM
What did he do?

TUSooner
11/30/2009, 05:31 PM
My continuing wish is that it burns whenever Messers Carroll and Neuheisel urinate. If they happen to be urinating on one another at the time, so much the better.

Thank you for your time and attention to this most pressing issue.

Now THAT made me laugh. :D :D :D

ocsooner
11/30/2009, 10:49 PM

Yes. You go down fighting and leave it all on the field. It shows your team that you don't give up and you don't expect them to give up either.

I am speaking in generalities, because we are talking about a sports gambler and SUC here.

bri
12/1/2009, 12:11 AM
In what parallel universe is 28-7 "running up the score"? If UCLA had a right to burn timeouts 'cause they were still in the game, then USC had the right to put them away. All you people sicken Sensei John Kreese with your post-modern, PC, "everyone gets a trophy" mewing. SWEEP THE LEG! NO MERCY!!!

It's akin to fouling every chance you get when you're down double digits with less than a minute to go in a basketball game.

Just let the other team dribble the clock out. Or in this case, run the clock out.

If a team fouls to extend a game they're not going to win, and the player they foul makes the free throws, is that "running up the score"?