PDA

View Full Version : Eric Mensik and Cory Brandon

soonerboy_odanorth
11/29/2009, 01:01 AM
Eric Mensik, recruited as a Tight End/Deep Snapper, with the thought that the more immediate playing time for the young man would be DS.

What?... You mean you weren't recruited as an emergency tackle to fill in on the right side of an unbelievably injury-depleted offensive line?

Cory Brandon, recruited as an offensive tackle, annointed by Merv Johnson as a future superstar (I bought it), and a player who in internet parlance had a season which could only charitably be described as EPIC FAIL.

What?... You mean you didn't imagine you would have to slide over to the inexplicably unfortunate bell-cow's left tackle position and keep a rookie turnover-prone QB's jersey clean all while opening hair-width thin running lanes to squeak out a semblance of a running game?

Well, hell, great job on both counts. THAT was some serious "stepping up."

But don't rest on your laurels, gentlemen. Build on it. OU is going to need some boys with some guts next year. And at least today, you showed you had 'em.

Boomer Sooner!

sooner59
11/29/2009, 01:26 AM
Yeah. What he said.

tulsaoilerfan
11/29/2009, 01:49 AM
Kudos to the entire offensive line today; great job gentlemen!!

OKC-SLC
11/29/2009, 01:52 AM
nice to see guys step up and play like they cared. i suspect the home streak has been a nice motivation for the guys.

Scott D
11/29/2009, 01:56 AM
you did remind me that I don't remember a single false start called on Cory Brandon all game.

sooner59
11/29/2009, 02:09 AM
you did remind me that I don't remember a single false start called on Cory Brandon all game.

WOW!!!!:eek:

IronHorseSooner
11/29/2009, 08:15 AM
Cory was recruited as an LT. Some guys are just better at one than the other. He looked comfortable over there. Mensik did a great job yesterday. I wouldn't see him permanently at RT, but he looks like a good candidate for the blocking TE/FB position that Brody played.

VA Sooner
11/29/2009, 08:55 AM
Mensik did a great job yesterday... most impressive for filling in... I see him exactly like Brody has played... a little bit of everything and stepping up each time!

47straight
11/29/2009, 03:44 PM
Kudos to Lepak, who the coaching staff slow-played and no-offered in lieu of future superstar Roark.

Took him a long route back home, but he played great and had a dream come true on Saturday.

westcoast_sooner
11/29/2009, 06:08 PM
Heard an interview with Mensik after yesterday's game. Basically said that the tackle position isn't that much different than TE - the zone scheme is pretty much the same and pass protection is pretty much the same, so as long as you have the technique you're pretty good.

delhalew
11/29/2009, 07:51 PM
Heard an interview with Mensik after yesterday's game. Basically said that the tackle position isn't that much different than TE - the zone scheme is pretty much the same and pass protection is pretty much the same, so as long as you have the technique you're pretty good.

Yeah,but Brandon can't go from LT to RT effectively. To me that says Mensik may be a special player...just trying to be modest.