PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame: My Take

Veritas
11/28/2009, 09:08 PM
My wife and I visited Notre Dame this year for the first time to attend the USC game.

It was in interesting experience, but unlike some cases where after you visit a school you hate them less, you leave despising them even more than you thought was possible.

This was not because of the fans; the fans were really cool. Mrs V and I were clad in our Husker regalia, so we took some good natured ribbing. We had a few old timers talk about how much the like the Husker program and Pelini.

No, I lost any interest I had in Notre Dame because it became apparent that the program is running on fading memories and weakening mystique. And let me tell you, once you go to a game, the mystique vanishes like a fart in the wind.

I keep reading thing about the facilities in South Bend being "second to none." My friends, there are high schools in Texas that put the Domer's field to shame. It's a sad joke of a field. There are two tiny scoreboards high on the ends of the stadium, and that is it.

There isn't enough room for the bands, so they end up being crammed onto the corners of the field.

The fans are faithful and dedicated, I'll give them that, but the entire thing smacks of a bush league effort.

Visiting Notre Dame was like opening up to the "Football" section in a 1951 Encyclopedia Brittannica; you smell the mildew, read the yellowed pages, and shake your head at how things have changed.

No good coach is going to go to Notre Dame. They're not going to get a Stoops, Meyer, Saban, Carroll, or even a Pelini. They're going to have to settle for another fifth or sixth choice, a coach that has a minor record of success and is looking for a good name to put on his resume before he goes to a real program.

delhalew
11/28/2009, 09:11 PM
Never visited, but you just summed up what I always suspected was true.

freshchris05
11/28/2009, 09:15 PM
yeah it's pretty sad to see their current state, as much as i despise ND.

11/28/2009, 09:22 PM
I've been to one game there and left feeling, "eh... nothing but gold spray paint."

I respect the history, bla bla bla... but at the end of the day, it is just another team. ALL the great teams have a storied past. They are no more special.

SoonerLB
11/28/2009, 09:23 PM
because it became apparent that the program is running on fading memories and weakening mystique.

No finer summation could be written, I commend you on your astute observation and concise evaluation!

fadada1
11/28/2009, 09:48 PM
went to the OU game in '99. excellent analysis. add in the ex-high school running backs (from 1923) who scored 6 touchdowns like al bundy as stadium ushers, and you got nd.

11/28/2009, 09:55 PM
Don't get me wrong... they present the history of the football program very well and it is interesting. But saying it is any more special than anything in the Switzer Center is just saying because it is older, it is better.

I respect them as a storied program. But to say they are any more storied or special than us is misguided. If they did anything more than us, it was to gain a national interest in college football. For that, I thank them.

Scott D
11/28/2009, 10:15 PM
Dear Veritittays,

You have just doomed your avatar to be the next head coach of the Fighting Irish.

Love,
Scott D.

sooner59
11/28/2009, 11:16 PM
On a side note....

Charlie Weiss just sacrificed a TD with 59 seconds left in order to save time for a drive. Lets see if it works out for him.

11/28/2009, 11:28 PM
I was "blessed" with sharing a dinner table with THE Rudy.

I'll just go with saying he was anything but inspirational. I have a full story, but I was grown saying it was better to not say anything if not kind.

He is very prowd of his signature, though.

Scott D
11/28/2009, 11:40 PM
'THE' Rudy is as unimpressive as Sean Astin, so this shouldn't be a surprise. :)

delhalew
11/28/2009, 11:47 PM
Nd fans just smell of desperation to me.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/29/2009, 12:08 AM

I'll just go with saying he was anything but inspirational. I have a full story, but I was grown saying it was better to not say anything if not kind.

I will give the guy his props for fighting his way out of poverty and getting a great education. Thats the real story

But lets not continue to be romanced by the movie into thinking the guy overcame a physical disability to achieve great things...He just sucked at football but didnt mind getting his Arse kicked every day.

Im more inspired by Calvin on Campus Corner who continues to get people to buy 3 day old newpapers every day for the last 20+ years and loving every minute of it

Scott D
11/29/2009, 01:46 AM
I will give the guy his props for fighting his way out of poverty and getting a great education. Thats the real story

But lets not continue to be romanced by the movie into thinking the guy overcame a physical disability to achieve great things...He just sucked at football but didnt mind getting his Arse kicked every day.

Im more inspired by Calvin on Campus Corner who continues to get people to buy 3 day old newpapers every day for the last 20+ years and loving every minute of it

meh, Michael Oher is more impressive imo.

AlbqSooner
11/29/2009, 09:12 AM
Michael Oher is more impressive than Rudy, but not more respect worthy than Calvin. JMO

TUSooner
11/29/2009, 09:39 AM
Visiting Notre Dame was like opening up to the "Football" section in a 1951 Encyclopedia Brittannica; you smell the mildew, read the yellowed pages, and shake your head at how things have changed.

That is one fine sentence and an excellent metaphor. You put me "there."

Scott D
11/29/2009, 09:46 AM
Michael Oher is more impressive than Rudy, but not more respect worthy than Calvin. JMO

oh I wasn't comparing to Calvin...that's a story and entity unto it self....but more an indictment of how vastly overrated the whole Rudy nonsense is.

Crucifax Autumn
11/29/2009, 09:49 AM

This is all true of him. He's not that impressive at all. He and his wife and foundation are regular customers at my old job and "meh". His wife is worse than him...Thinks since she's married to "THE" great and powerful Rudy she should have people bowing at her feet and giving her things.

And seriously? Being a midget doesn't count as a disability? :P

And yeah...I must not have been raised right because I was taught honesty is the best policy! lol

TJKDone
11/29/2009, 09:59 AM
Wonder what Jelo thinks? I bet they get a good coach.

Hook'em

StoopTroup
11/29/2009, 10:07 AM
I said hello to Calvin last night. I think he's pissed I didn't buy a newspaper though.

Veritas
11/29/2009, 01:08 PM
**** Rudy.

You know why? One of the things that has made our respective football programs great is that fact that standout athletes chose to walk on at OU or Nebraska rather than going to play D2 or JuCo ball. They realized they'd probably not see much PT, but they grew up loving their team and were willing to sacrifice to wear the colors.

Some of these players end up being starters, earning scholarships and glory. But most of them sweat and bleed in anonymity, filling the ranks of the practice squad and hoping to make special teams or get a few reps in the last seconds of a blowout.

Three of my cousins, amazing high school athletes all, gave four years to the Huskers during the '90s. None of them saw more than a handful of snaps and all of them sustained injuries, some that will last for a lifetime. Guys like them honed the starters and standouts; they stood as the foundation for the championships of that decade.

Rudy was and is nothing special and his contribution and story is about as significant as the morning news updates in Bumscrew, Arkansas.

setem
11/29/2009, 01:47 PM
I think Bob should do what's sensible, and file file for unemployment. Then go and try to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, because they've got an excellent corporate structure and they give !you! the tools to be your own boss...

IronHorseSooner
11/29/2009, 02:27 PM
I think Bob should do what's sensible, and file file for unemployment. Then go and try to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, because they've got an excellent corporate structure and they give !you! the tools to be your own boss...

Maybe he and Mark Mangino should start their own mobile DJ and entertainment conglomerate!

setem
11/29/2009, 02:46 PM
PRESTIGE WORLD WIDE WIDE WIDE WIDEWIDE!

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/29/2009, 03:55 PM
boats and hoes!!

setem
11/29/2009, 10:18 PM
THIS FORUM IS A PRISON! ON THE PLANET BULL****! IN THE GALAXY OF THIS SUCKS CAMEL DICKS!

Sasakwa
11/29/2009, 10:38 PM
No good coach is going to go to Notre Dame.

Appreciate the story, but I've got to disagree. They will get a big name coach. Now, whoever it is may not ever be successful there because of the things you mention, but I believe they will get a big time coach. We can make fun of it all we want, but its an elite job and they are paying top dollar and thats a combination that will get them a "good coach".

AzianSooner
11/29/2009, 11:57 PM
You can't be the servant of two bosses but with MONEY, ND can hire any coach in this world, including mr. Stoops.

StoopTroup
11/30/2009, 09:58 AM
You can't be the servant of two bosses but with MONEY, ND can hire any coach in this world, including mr. Stoops.

If he wanted their money and the program he would just call them. Why? He's Mr. Stoops.

SoCal
11/30/2009, 11:40 AM
My son went to the ND/USC game as well...his take...The facility that has all the memorabilia is ten times the size of Heritage Hall (USC's Switzer Center)and is really nice. The campus is clean and interesting to tour around. I'll admit the stadium is second class probably because its so old. There are not nearly enough bathrooms. If you choose to use the bathrooms in the stadium it takes 20 minutes. Also, I did notice that they just had two small scoreboards and no videoboard for replays or anything. Seating was bleacher style with not enough room. I was cramped the whole game. I'd go back in a heartbeat. The ND fans there admit they are not what they used to be and seem to be clinging to the hope they'll return to prominence. Everyone I talked to wanted ND to win but predicted USC to win handily.

VA Sooner
11/30/2009, 11:45 AM
They'll be spending more on how to get rid of an incumbent football coach with no previous head-coaching experience prior to the ND job than they will on their facilities, I suspect. $18 million would have paid for a nice weight room.

KantoSooner
11/30/2009, 11:56 AM
If ND wants a coach, they should scout New England and the North East. I don't think a hot prospect from the Sec, B12 or Pac10 would be interested. They have some national cachet left over from the leather helmet days (remember, Harvard used to be a major football power) and can recruit nationally, but are a sad echo of what they used to be.

And I laugh at them for having lost their way. If they never win another game, it will be way too soon. Weis for another ten years!

Jello Biafra
11/30/2009, 12:05 PM
THIS FORUM IS A PRISON! ON THE PLANET BULL****! IN THE GALAXY OF THIS SUCKS CAMEL DICKS!

someone left their workstation unlocked to go to the little girls room ;)

guzziguy
11/30/2009, 07:34 PM
Personally, I hope they give up football and replace it with synchronized swimming. Absent that, I hope they never win another game.

OU4LIFE
11/30/2009, 09:22 PM
we're doomed. He's gone. It's as good as done.