Sooner95
11/28/2009, 07:31 PM
Here is the order..

BCS
Cotton
Holiday
Gator (when it selects a Big 12 team)
Alamo
Sun (when the Gator does not take a Big 12 team)
Insight
Independence
Texas

And now my predictions..

BCS - Texass

Cotton - OSU

Holiday - Nebraska

Gator - They'll Pass

Alamo - Tech

Sun - OU

Insight - Mizzou

Independence - Iowa St

Texas - Tx A&M

What do you peeps think?

soonervegas
11/28/2009, 07:37 PM
Does the Alamo have to take Tech? I just don't see why they would pass on one of the few times to grab OU.....

Sooner95
11/28/2009, 07:39 PM
Well, I have wondered that as well...they may be able to sell more tickets if Tech is there though.

Mac94
11/28/2009, 07:50 PM
Why would Independence take Iowa St over Texas A&M? As for OU, it'll be interesting because Oklahoma has such name appeal .... hard for the Alamo to pass them up .... and Tech has a bad history in that bowl.

Sun bowl against the Pac-10 would be interesting, though.

Sooner95
11/28/2009, 07:53 PM
Yea the name appeal is there for sure...and of course if Tech lossses to Baylor tonight, well it's prob a lock then...

I am going with the assumption that the Ind bowl will select Iowa st..becuase they are new and the fans may be excited and travel. Texas Bowl is easy to see why they would have no issues with A&M...

Sooner95
11/28/2009, 07:54 PM
BTW, payouts between the Alamo and Sun where pretty close last yr... 1.9 million for Sun, 2.25 million for Alamo..not sure what they are this yr..

Sooner95
11/28/2009, 07:56 PM
man does this explain it well...the SEC selection process is interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_bids_to_college_bowl_games

Sooner95
11/28/2009, 08:04 PM
Honestly I hope the Alamo passes on us, otherwsie we are looking at a stellar matchup of OU vs Wisc or NW...

11/28/2009, 08:11 PM
Every time I've been to San Antonio, I've seen many people wearing Sooner gear. I don't think we'd be a bad choice for them, but that said, I'm not a huge fan of that venue.

Sun could be fun.

Sooner95
11/28/2009, 08:14 PM
Yea I don't think so either...I think i would prefer the Sun Bowl..play against a pretty good team from the Pac10 as well..3rd choice.. also CBS National Game..

AlbqSooner
11/28/2009, 08:15 PM
El Paso is currently a war zone. Juarez currently is governed only by various drug cartels. Even though the Sun Bowl is only a 4 1/2 - 5 hour drive for me, I would not make that drive at present.

okiewaker
11/28/2009, 08:26 PM
I was recently in El Paso and there was only one killing during the week I was there. A drug deal gone bad apparently is what the news said.

yermom
11/28/2009, 08:32 PM
yeah, the Riverwalk sounds a lot better than Juarez

although, crossing "Donkey Show" off my bucket list might be nice

okiewaker
11/28/2009, 08:34 PM
You could probably get that in SA, too.

Leroy Lizard
11/28/2009, 08:45 PM
The distance from Lubbock to San Antonio is about the same as from Norman. I would think OU would be a better draw.

cortezsooner
11/28/2009, 08:58 PM
yeah, the Riverwalk sounds a lot better than Juarez

although, crossing "Donkey Show" off my bucket list might be nice

Why do you need to drive that far for that? Stillwater or Austin are much closer.......

JLEW1818
11/28/2009, 09:26 PM
So ya'll are saying we are probably going Mexican

Sooner95
11/28/2009, 09:57 PM
With the tech win, I still think the Alamo will take tech..

yermom
11/28/2009, 09:59 PM
man, the Sun Bowl and Gator Bowl could be taking Big East teams instead of us... which could drop us to the Insight

WV, Rutgers and South Florida could all have better records

NorthernIowaSooner
11/28/2009, 10:05 PM
Why would Independence take Iowa St over Texas A&M?

they said during one of the games that A&M is pretty much a lock for the texas bowl, they didnt elaborate on that that i can remember but it sounds like they know where theyre going

Mac94
11/28/2009, 10:19 PM
Yeah ... I've heard that. Just not sure why a 6-6 Iowa St team is more appealing than a 6-6 A&M squad. I think we travel better and are a better TV draw than the Cyclones and we did beat them (yes, I know head to head means nothing in bowl selections). Just not sure why everyone is assuming the Independence takes ISU over us.

11/28/2009, 10:23 PM
Mac, no offense, but I think people outside the Aggie community are tired of seeing A&M lose bowl games. Texas Bowl would be perfect for A&M because the main target media areas are loaded with ring-wearing Aggies. It just isn't a game many nationally will watch.

Independence Bowl watchers are probably more the ESPN Thursday Night crowd.

Mac94
11/28/2009, 10:25 PM
Oh, no offense taken ... and we do lose bowl games quite a bit. Still ... we're talking about us versus Iowa State ... I'm not sure Iowa State has a great bowl rep either.

11/28/2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah, but they would show up in their hypnotic Ronald McDonald uniforms and people just couldn't resist.

As you know, I have a vested interest in the A&M program. That said, until it is more of a major bowl, I don't think people outside the A&M community care in the least any longer.

NorthernIowaSooner
11/28/2009, 10:29 PM
Oh, no offense taken ... and we do lose bowl games quite a bit. Still ... we're talking about us versus Iowa State ... I'm not sure Iowa State has a great bowl rep either.

and they dont travel all that well, they dont fill the high school stadium they play in at home (iowa state that is), my guess would be it has something to do with keeping them in texas for the game, shorter trip to a crappy bowl game so maybe more people will come

11/28/2009, 10:36 PM
I could see an arena full of Houston folks and students... probably around 35K or more showing up for a game in Houston.

A&M might have that many for Independence... (it isn't that much further) and they'd be able to gamble.

For TV, though, I can see them going with the ol' switcheroo for team selection just to gain some ratings up north and nationally.

After all, there is nothing I find more boring than the Motor City Bowl. Not saying I don't watch it, because I do. But I'm sick about college football like that.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/28/2009, 11:05 PM
FIVE STAR LOCK OF THE WEEK.

Big XII Champion BCS Bid - NEBRASKA

Texass gets an at large.

bluesmagoo
11/28/2009, 11:15 PM
El Paso is currently a war zone. Juarez currently is governed only by various drug cartels. Even though the Sun Bowl is only a 4 1/2 - 5 hour drive for me, I would not make that drive at present.

Actually, El Paso is the 2nd safest large city in the USA. Believe it or not. Just don't go to Juarez and lock your car. The people are friendly and good Mexican food. It's a lot safer than Albuquerque.

bluesmagoo
11/28/2009, 11:16 PM
Hey, what happened to all my green lights? Why are they red now?

meoveryouxinfinity
11/28/2009, 11:46 PM
I think bowls choosing Big XII schools have to take them in order of record. Well, this is what my aggie brother in law told me and I don't really know if I believe him or not. In that case, Texas, Neb, OSU, TT, and Missouri would all get bids above us.
I think he's just a lying aggie though.

yermom
11/28/2009, 11:49 PM
they can choose however they want

look at 2003 when the Cotton took OSU and Texas went to San Diego after we screwed them out of the BCS by losing to KState

bri
11/28/2009, 11:50 PM
aggy was wrong, 'cause that's what aggy does. Bowls can pick whoever they want and aren't beholden to the standings.

Also, FWIW, the Sun Bowl had two reps at the game today. The Independence and Alamo bowls each had one.

Boomerbrad
11/28/2009, 11:53 PM
I think bowls choosing Big XII schools have to take them in order of record. Well, this is what my aggie brother in law told me and I don't really know if I believe him or not. In that case, Texas, Neb, OSU, TT, and Missouri would all get bids above us.
I think he's just a lying aggie though.

That would be incorrect. The Bowls are ordered on which one gets to pick first, so theoretically, the Cotton could take ISU or A&M if they wanted.

yermom
11/28/2009, 11:54 PM
aggy was wrong, 'cause that's what aggy does. Bowls can pick whoever they want and aren't beholden to the standings.

Also, FWIW, the Sun Bowl had two reps at the game today. The Independence and Alamo bowls each had one.

i'd rather not make the 3 day trek to El Paso, but it would be kinda cool as i haven't spent any real time there, where i've been to Shreveport and San Antonio before

ELP Sooner
11/28/2009, 11:57 PM
Sun Bowl/Gator Bowl

FYI-

These bowls had an agreement 4 years ago that each bowl would take a big 12 team 2 times and a big east/nd team 2 times. This is the final year of the agreement and the Sun must take a big 12 team and the Gator must go Big East or ND.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/28/2009, 11:57 PM
Call it now. Channel your inner Blevins.

Odds/percentage of the Cotton telling everyone to suck a root and selecting our Sooners.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/28/2009, 11:58 PM
That would be incorrect. The Bowls are ordered on which one gets to pick first, so theoretically, the Cotton could take ISU or A&M if they wanted.

good to know. I don't trust people in orange.

in that case let's see
Fiesta- Neb
BCS at large- Texas
Cotton- Oklahoma State
Holiday- OU
Alamo- TTech
Sun- Missouri
Insight- A&M
Independence- ISU

Why? Because we're OU.

VA Sooner
11/29/2009, 12:16 AM
I'll tkae whatever bowl... go in, dominate, take the win home.

boomerborn79
11/29/2009, 12:50 AM
Sun Bowl/Gator Bowl

FYI-

These bowls had an agreement 4 years ago that each bowl would take a big 12 team 2 times and a big east/nd team 2 times. This is the final year of the agreement and the Sun must take a big 12 team and the Gator must go Big East or ND.

That's not how I read it. Were did you get this form. Here is the sun bowl website. The way I read it it's the gator bowls turn to pick from eith big 12 or big east. I read both website's The Brut Sun Bowl Selection Process and it seems like the gator could pick big 12.

[B]The Brut Sun Bowl will match up the Pac-10 Conference versus either the Big 12 Conference, the Big East Conference or the University of Notre Dame.

The Brut Sun Bowl selects the third place team from the Pac-10, who will be the visiting team in 2008.

The Brut Sun Bowl is in an agreement with the Konika Minolta Gator Bowl (www.gatorbowl.com) to alternate picks between the Big 12 and Big East Conferences with each bowl game having a one-time option to select Notre Dame.

If the Gator Bowl selects a Big East Conference school, then the Brut Sun Bowl will have the fifth pick from the Big 12 Conference. If the Gator Bowl selects a Big 12 Conference school, the Brut Sun Bowl has the second pick from the Big East Conference. If Notre Dame is not selected to participate in the Bowl Championship Series, then they would replace a Big East selection by either bowl game if bowl eligible.

In 2006, the Brut Sun Bowl selected Missouri, while the Konika Minolta Gator Bowl selected West Virginia. In 2007, the Brut Sun Bowl selected USF, while the Konika Minolta Gator Bowl selected Texas Tech.

I hope they pick us, I am in the Navy and am getting sent to a school there. I WILL get tickets if they pick OU. Also, don't see them picking a 6-6 nd team

ELP Sooner
11/29/2009, 12:56 AM
because pitt came to el paso last year...that leaves the last year of the deal with the sun getting a big 12 team.

yermom
11/29/2009, 12:58 AM
when did a Big 12 team go to the Gator?

the last 2 years... nevermind :D

2007 Tech, 2008 Nebraska

silverwheels
11/29/2009, 01:00 AM
I think we end up in El Paso or San Antonio. Hopefully the latter...we haven't played a Big Ten team under Stoops yet.

yermom
11/29/2009, 01:05 AM
that's how i'm seeing it

plus Stoops vs. Stoops might cause a rift in the space-time continuum

boomerborn79
11/29/2009, 01:05 AM
because pitt came to el paso last year...that leaves the last year of the deal with the sun getting a big 12 team.

But last year the sun bowl picked Pitt. They alternate. This year Gator bowl get's it's selection first. I didn't read anywhere that said they have to pick 2 big east, 2 big 12.I was asking where you found that.

boomerborn79
11/29/2009, 01:11 AM
Read between the line's on the Gator bowl website. Clearly not going to Gator, :( had my hopes up.

This is the last year of a four year agreement and the Gator Bowl will be selecting a team from the Big East

ELP Sooner
11/29/2009, 01:11 AM
The Gator always has first choice. The bowls are not equal. They did this as an experiment to get different teams in. The Gator picked Nebraska last year. The reason for that is they wanted to keep the possibilty of Notre Dame for this season. If the Gator had taken a Big East team last year they would be locked into the big 12 this year with no chance at ND. How do I know...I live in this garbage dump and the Sun bowl is about the biggest thing around here as far as college football goes.

ELP Sooner
11/29/2009, 01:12 AM
Ok now you got it

boomerborn79
11/29/2009, 01:13 AM
[QUOTE=ELP Sooner;2779272]The Gator always has first choice. The bowls are not equal. They did this as an experiment to get different teams in. The Gator picked Nebraska last year. The reason for that is they wanted to keep the possibilty of Notre Dame for this season. If the Gator had taken a Big East team last year ghey would be locked into the big 12 this year with no chance at ND. How do I know...I live in this garbage dump and the Sun bowl is about the biggest thing around here as far as college football goes.[/QUO

:D

boomerborn79
11/29/2009, 01:14 AM
Ok now you got it

NO you got it:D So, you should get to see the sooners play, you better get ticket's.

ELP Sooner
11/29/2009, 01:17 AM
http://elpasotimes.typepad.com/thatwilldo/2009/11/unfounded-big-12-sun-bowl-rumor-in-haiku.html

FYI

sooner59
11/29/2009, 01:56 AM
I am filling out my request Tuesday morning with a YES to Alamo and Sun Bowl. I don't have the money to go elsewhere. I will be fine with either. I went to the Big 12 CG at the Alamodome, fun times on the Riverwalk. I went through El Paso on the way to a Fiesta Bowl.....sketchy, but I would make it there. I am still excited to watch OUr boys, and I feel really positive about a bowl win this year, which is nice, considering how we have done since '02.

silverwheels
11/29/2009, 02:18 AM
I am filling out my request Tuesday morning with a YES to Alamo and Sun Bowl. I don't have the money to go elsewhere. I will be fine with either. I went to the Big 12 CG at the Alamodome, fun times on the Riverwalk. I went through El Paso on the way to a Fiesta Bowl.....sketchy, but I would make it there. I am still excited to watch OUr boys, and I feel really positive about a bowl win this year, which is nice, considering how we have done since '02.

The '05 Holiday Bowl win was not vacated, you know. ;)

yermom
11/29/2009, 02:20 AM
it's still the lone win from '03-'08 :eek:

sooner59
11/29/2009, 02:22 AM
The '05 Holiday Bowl win was not vacated, you know. ;)

I know, but it was our only bowl win since '02 so I was mainly just saying we have only won 1 bowl game since '02 and it was with our worst team (maybe other than this one) since then. I am not disregarding that great win, but just saying we haven't won much bowl-wise since '02. I just want another bowl win regardless of where or who we play.

silverwheels
11/29/2009, 02:25 AM
Yeah, I know we have struggled, but as negative as I want to be (and trust me, it comes easily for me), I'd still take our overall record over the past 6 or 7 years over anyone else in the conference for sure. I'm still not convinced that we can win whatever bowl game we get to this year, but that's mainly due to injuries. I mean, we can't lose them all, can we?

sooner59
11/29/2009, 02:31 AM
Yeah, I know we have struggled, but as negative as I want to be (and trust me, it comes easily for me), I'd still take our overall record over the past 6 or 7 years over anyone else in the conference for sure. I'm still not convinced that we can win whatever bowl game we get to this year, but that's mainly due to injuries. I mean, we can't lose them all, can we?

I hear ya. But I will take OU and the points against ANYONE Big 10 in the Alamo Bowl. If we go the Sun Bowl and take on USC or somebody like that, I would be worried. But I am still not intimidated by USC this year. A PAC 10 team better bring a solid defense, because they won't score much on this D.

silverwheels
11/29/2009, 02:35 AM
I think we're looking at Cal in the Sun Bowl if USC beats Arizona. This is assuming that the Alamo will prefer Texas Tech to us, but it would be great if they didn't.

sooner59
11/29/2009, 02:39 AM
I think we're looking at Cal in the Sun Bowl if USC beats Arizona. This is assuming that the Alamo will prefer Texas Tech to us, but it would be great if they didn't.

Agreed. And I bet the house on us in the Alamo Bowl, and I stall for 5 seconds, then bet the house on us VS. Cal.

VA Sooner
11/29/2009, 08:58 AM
Alamo Bowl vs Cal?

I'll take it.

silverwheels
11/29/2009, 05:41 PM
Alamo Bowl vs Cal?

I'll take it.

If we play Cal it would have to be in the Sun Bowl. Alamo Bowl is still a tie-in with the Big Ten for this season.

stoopified
11/29/2009, 06:40 PM
Honestly I hope the Alamo passes on us, otherwsie we are looking at a stellar matchup of OU vs Wisc or NW...You are opposed to homefeild aqdvantage and a W?I like Our chances better at the Alamo as opposed to the Sun.Besideswhich San Antonio> El Paso.

DenverSooner751
11/29/2009, 06:49 PM
You are opposed to homefeild aqdvantage and a W?I like Our chances better at the Alamo as opposed to the Sun.Besideswhich San Antonio> El Paso.

I'll take San Antonio ove El Peso anyday as well........Riverwalk is epic good times.

silverwheels
11/29/2009, 08:16 PM
Also, I'd rather play a Big Ten team than a Pac-10 team.

King Barry's Back
11/29/2009, 08:41 PM
With the season all but done, and the bids about to be offered, this may be moot.

But when looking at the bowl projections done by the media, keep in mind that their "analysis" is often very simplistic.

It is common for the media to project a team to, say, finish second in the conference and project them for the bowl picking second in that conference. Likewise for the 3rd place, fourth place, etc.

But, as stated well above, the bowls can take whoever they want from the remaining bowl eligible teams.

Unless a bowl indicates who they would prefer, or there is obviously some reason why a bowl would have a preference (say Texas Bowl preferring local aTm over Iowa State), it's hard to know which team or teams they would prefer.

The team preferences could also change based on match up. If the Sun Bowl can bring in Arizona, think they aren't going to drool at the chance to stage the first Stoops-Stoops match up? Think they might reach out to Alamo to encourage them to take Tech?

btk108
11/29/2009, 11:20 PM
My dad already has two extra tickets to Alamo Bowl......I vote SA...are you listening Bob?

Little Al
11/30/2009, 12:46 AM
Stoops vs. Stoops. I'm very interested in that one.

Sooner in Tampa
11/30/2009, 11:09 AM
It is an outside shot, but I am hoping the Gator takes us...count me in !!!

silverwheels
12/1/2009, 07:17 PM
It is an outside shot, but I am hoping the Gator takes us...count me in !!!

Gator Bowl will be ACC vs. Big East. They can't take a Big 12 team this year.

Salt City Sooner
12/1/2009, 08:40 PM
Honestly I hope the Alamo passes on us, otherwsie we are looking at a stellar matchup of OU vs Wisc or NW...

Northwestern's got triple scoreboard on us. Personally, I'd love a shot at rectifying that aberration.