PDA

View Full Version : Best Sooner defense since...

westcoast_sooner
11/28/2009, 07:00 PM
Wonder what others on this board think. 3 shut outs this season, and with the exception of last week's game in Lubbock, this has to be one of the best Sooner defense in awhile. But is this the best D since 2000? Since 2002?

Collier11
11/28/2009, 07:04 PM
Best one under Stoops perhaps, id say 01 might have been better...id have to look at the comparisons.

delhalew
11/28/2009, 07:12 PM
It would be easier to judge if they hadn't laid down for a game. Top 3 probably of Stoops tenure.

ndpruitt03
11/28/2009, 07:16 PM
03 defense was great outside of one game. 07 D was solid also.

OUHOMER
11/28/2009, 07:23 PM
Fire BV NOW!

Sooner Eclipse
11/28/2009, 08:06 PM
Best one under Stoops perhaps, id say 01 might have been better...id have to look at the comparisons.

I agree. 01 might have been better. But this ones at the top.

the_ouskull
11/28/2009, 08:08 PM
It would be easier to judge if they hadn't laid down for a game. Top 3 probably of Stoops tenure.

This guy nailed it.

I can't vote for any defense that lays down for a game, or even for part of one. There's a different between getting whipped, and giving up. Against Tech, our defense gave up. At least a handful of individual players did. I didn't need Sportscenter to point it now, but I'm glad that they did. I hope that those players see it, and I hope that future players see it too.

Accountability. They were held accountable for playing like rat *ss against Tech. They come out and shut out the otherwise-BCS-bound Aggy.

If only we had a coach with some fire. A gambler. A coach who could KEEP that fire lit under his team's *ss. We did. I hope he's back. His school needs him right now.

But, in the meantime, it's been basketball season since September when our (alleged) pre-season All-American Trent Williams let a guy break Sam's shoulder with an "ole" block.

Go Sooner hoops. Win one... eventually. Man, f*ck 2009.

the_ouskull

11/28/2009, 08:18 PM
It would be nice to be able to cherry-pick players from those top-three Stoops defenses and combine to form a super-D.

I like our guys this year. Actually, I like this team a LOT! I think they have shown character in the face of great adversity.

And to paint a silver lining on this season, at least we'll have some experienced youth returning.

westcoast_sooner
11/28/2009, 08:42 PM
I like our guys this year. Actually, I like this team a LOT! I think they have shown character in the face of great adversity.

And to paint a silver lining on this season, at least we'll have some experienced youth returning.

I like this defense a lot, too. Except for last week, the guys have played really well. And you're right. A LOT of young talent that will be back next year. I know we'll lose GM, and a couple others, but overall, I think our D returns strong for 2010.

Uncle Ernie
11/28/2009, 08:59 PM
Our D = Shock Troops today baby! OSU 's collective head is spinning and puking green pea soup. The D was a doctor. They have operated and the patient is D E A D !

okiewaker
11/28/2009, 09:02 PM
I think this D ranks up there with the 01 D.

11/28/2009, 09:13 PM
Imagine the cherry-picking I mentioned earlier... Calmus, Dusty, TRRW, Tommie Harris, Lehman, Torrance... we've had our share of beasts on the D.

ndpruitt03
11/28/2009, 09:46 PM
The 01 and 03 Ds are the top 2. The 00 defense is up there too simply because they won a lot of games. They didn't really play as well all year but near the end they basically took over. I think the D in 07 was also pretty good also, all of these teams had some bad games, the thing that hurts this defense is that this D got beat in a lot of big situations this year. That downgrades it slightly.

SoonerObsession
11/28/2009, 10:58 PM
Four first downs! Two were due to penalties. Dominant!

Collier11
11/29/2009, 12:17 AM
This guy nailed it.

I can't vote for any defense that lays down for a game, or even for part of one. There's a different between getting whipped, and giving up. Against Tech, our defense gave up. At least a handful of individual players did. I didn't need Sportscenter to point it now, but I'm glad that they did. I hope that those players see it, and I hope that future players see it too.

Accountability. They were held accountable for playing like rat *ss against Tech. They come out and shut out the otherwise-BCS-bound Aggy.

If only we had a coach with some fire. A gambler. A coach who could KEEP that fire lit under his team's *ss. We did. I hope he's back. His school needs him right now.

Epic Fail...I respect you Skull and you know it but it is posts like this that I am starting to get embarrassed by

ndpruitt03
11/29/2009, 12:38 AM
Epic Fail...I respect you Skull and you know it but it is posts like this that I am starting to get embarrassed by

Sad thing is that his post hit the nail on the head.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/29/2009, 01:23 AM
Sure did.

Curly Bill
11/29/2009, 01:26 AM
Collier is embarrassed by any of us that doesn't toe the company line.

...meaning we don't drink enough Kool Aid. :D

soonerboy_odanorth
11/29/2009, 01:51 AM
I'm out on the thin limb... I think it is the best since '87... yes, including the '00-'02 versions...

This program was off-kilter by one year...

You combine last year's offense with this year's defense? It might have been the greatest team ever. And frankly we really only needed to combine about 2/3 last-year's offense with this year's D...

Consider this: Imagine if we serve up 16 more points on this season going into the Texas Tech game... 2 v. BYU, 2 v. Miamuh, 4 v. Tejas, 8 v. NU.

By my rudimentary calculations that makes us... carry the 2... subtract 1... add 1... oh yeah... 10-0 going to Lubbock. Anybody think at 10-0 we would across the board have lost our focus and lost to those tortilla-tossers? Granted... still possible... but really? I think not. Then similar Aggie crushings to close it out, and we are gearing up to give NU another whack in the Big XII championship.

I know we make fun of them... but ladies and gents... we held a pretty danged good offense to a buck. They crossed the 50... so it wasn't Barry's shutout of Nebraska of legend. But they didn't cross the OU 45. In this day and age, with the weapons that we must acknowledge oSu has, that is simply amazing.

All of that is a long way of saying this (little twist away from thread topic)...

We were one Jermain Gresham away from still playing for an NC. I believe that to my core. If Jermaine stays 100% through the season, even if we lose Bradford... we get those first half of the season 16 points to be undefeated going into the Tech game.

Who was Bradford's indespensible outlet?

Who would have been Jones's?

Sooner70
11/29/2009, 07:48 AM
Happy for the Bedlam win, but it begs the question. What happened in Lubbock? How can OU look so strong all the way around against a highly ranked, BCS destined opponent like OSU, and the previous week suck so bad against an unranked TT.....why? how? Any of you FB technicians out there have an answer to this? Did Tech do something that other teams haven't been able to do...find a particular weakness or what? Except for TT, all of OU's losses this season have been close.

What happened in Lubbock?

11/29/2009, 08:40 AM
I think it is a matter of one coach understanding another coach's approach to a game. Leach has given us fits since his departure from OU. That said, I do think the team deflated in the Tech game. I'm just glad they got it together in one week!

StoopTroup
11/29/2009, 08:50 AM
Everyone has a bad day. Lubboch was a bad day. The worst of a season riddled with bad days. Now...if you want to chastise kids and say they were laying down. Fine. In my mind...laying down would include blowing up the very next week at Home, losing OUr Home streak and watching Seniors walk off the field with their heads down.

That didn't happen.

I am very proud of this years Team. Yesterday...they played like a Team again. They still have a bunch of problems...but not like Gumby's Team does. Seeing aggie fans beating their chest and looking at you to see if you think yesterday's game was already in the bag...all last week....Well....It damn sure wasn't in the bag and they got served a SHUTOUT by a Team riddled with bad luck....but a Team riddled with guys that have the Heart of a Champion.

Yesterday's Defense played like a Champion.

It was fun to watch.

It was great to scream again at the top of my lungs and feel like it wasn't in vain...

Thanks to all of the players...especially the Seniors.

AWESOME DAY!

OUmillenium
11/29/2009, 11:43 AM
The 01 and 03 Ds are the top 2. The 00 defense is up there too simply because they won a lot of games. They didn't really play as well all year but near the end they basically took over. I think the D in 07 was also pretty good also, all of these teams had some bad games, the thing that hurts this defense is that this D got beat in a lot of big situations this year. That downgrades it slightly.

Yeah, I've been considering that as the thread goes on. I was pretty critical early in the season when we didn't get the stop against BYU, then the same against Miami when they had the long possession and ran out the clock.

Collier11
11/29/2009, 12:16 PM
The 03 D gave up 35 to Kstate, all D's have bad games. The D this year would have been more capable of getting a big stop if the Off hadnt stranded them on the field nearly every game

ndpruitt03
11/29/2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I've been considering that as the thread goes on. I was pretty critical early in the season when we didn't get the stop against BYU, then the same against Miami when they had the long possession and ran out the clock.

Also against Texas they didn't adjust well early in the 2nd half when Texas kinda took over the game. Offense didn't help that 2nd half either. And you have 2 bad games against Kansas State and Tech.

BTW I said 07 defense I meant 06 the one that really only had one really bad against against Boise and then so-so games against Texas and Oregon, then pretty much shut everyone else down.

Collier11
11/29/2009, 08:38 PM
Not always the best measure but here are our points per game allowed under Stoops

09- 14
08- 25
07- 20
06- 17
05- 23
04- 17
03- 15
02- 15
01- 13
00- 15
99- 19