PDA

View Full Version : Stoops interested in ND?

BASSooner
11/27/2009, 08:19 PM
Notre Dame:
Sources tell FootballCoachScoop that Bob Stoops is indeed interested in the Head job for the Irish. Sources confirmed a meeting will take place.

This was dated over a week ago (November 16, do be exact)

Thoughts?

Scott D
11/27/2009, 08:20 PM
according to Spencer Tillman's sources that job should go to Brian Billick within a few days.

C&CDean
11/27/2009, 08:27 PM
Why do people start new threads on this crap?

Crucifax Autumn
11/27/2009, 09:11 PM
So you can make fun of them.

boomerinhou
11/27/2009, 09:42 PM
This was dated over a week ago (November 16, do be exact)

Thoughts?

Yes. Stoops is headed to Notre Dame. He'll be making a post-game announcement Saturday. In fact, right now, they are loading the big new house he's building, and all the land surrounding it on a big flatbed and it will be heading up I-35 in the morning. Of course, he'll be making a lot less money at Notre Dame, will have a much tougher time recruiting due to the recruiting restrictions he'll have to live with. Plus the Notre Dame nation will be far more tougher on him than he ever experienced at Oklahoma. They'll want to win a national championship during his second year. Then, they'll want him to repeat it his third, fourth and fifth year.

But that's ok...because Bob Stoops loves Notre Dame. He has always wanted to coach at Notre Name...it's in his contract, you know. So now he gets his chance.

Now, does that answer your question??

Leroy Lizard
11/27/2009, 10:09 PM
Bob told me that he likes the weather better in South Bend. You heard it here first.

Petro-Sooner
11/27/2009, 10:11 PM
Sources tell me Stoops wants an electric shaver for Christmas.

StoopTroup
11/27/2009, 10:17 PM
Sources tell me Stoops wants an electric shaver for Christmas.

What for? :pop: :hot:

Crucifax Autumn
11/27/2009, 10:19 PM
To shave his sack

Petro-Sooner
11/27/2009, 10:24 PM
I cant say the source but the paying $15 for five triple edge blades is just not economical. Plus the move will be more earth friendly.

StoopTroup
11/27/2009, 10:47 PM
Gotta lower the carbon footprint I guess.

CrimsonCommando
11/27/2009, 10:53 PM
Gotta lower the carbon footprint I guess.

In a great way

delhalew
11/27/2009, 10:56 PM
I read that time travelers from the future are credited with sabotaging the Hadron Collider to save us all from the universe folding inward on itself...really....seriously...just saying.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2009, 11:02 PM
i was just thinking we need another thread on this subject...

TJKDone
11/27/2009, 11:27 PM
Does anyone on Soonerfans give this recruitment more credibility than the other vacancy rumours? I think it is more possible than any other chance this side of when FL hired Meyer.

No offense intended but:

1) ND will pay him a chunk more than you guys.

2) He will have a better national recruiting base than you guys provide.

3) ND is one of the few places that has more "prestige" than a storied program like OU.

4) He isn't too "proud" to leave at a relatively "down" time. He has already restored OU to national title contending level.

5) He isn't as old as a guy like Mack and has said OU probably wasn't his last coaching stop.

I am definitely not saying he will go and in fact do hope he stays. If Stoops were at ND I think he would end up hurting us more than he does now in terms of recruiting the top guys in Texas. I think he makes the RRR a great thing that it wasn't prior to his arrival.

Just saying there is a bit more traction on this one than normal.

Hook'em

Crucifax Autumn
11/27/2009, 11:43 PM
I give the whole thing NO credibility at all. If he got more money it would be just a small fraction. The national recruiting base wouldn't be better at all IMO. Notre Dame's "prestige" just really isn't much and as far as that greatest programs thing they did last year OU is far more prestigious. I also think he'd be LESS likely to go on a down note.

delhalew
11/27/2009, 11:47 PM
You just had to validate this thread...you know how many of these we have here? Everybody has wanted Stoops at one time or another. I don't see it happening. All we can do is wait and see. I have more important things to think about. ND is not the job people make it out to be.

Crucifax Autumn
11/27/2009, 11:48 PM
I couldn't help but answer the stupid whorn comment!

delhalew
11/27/2009, 11:48 PM
I give the whole thing NO credibility at all. If he got more money it would be just a small fraction. The national recruiting base wouldn't be better at all IMO. Notre Dame's "prestige" just really isn't much and as far as that greatest programs thing they did last year OU is far more prestigious. I also think he'd be LESS likely to go on a down note.

great minds...ect.

boomerinhou
11/28/2009, 01:10 AM
Does anyone on Soonerfans give this recruitment more credibility than the other vacancy rumours? I think it is more possible than any other chance this side of when FL hired Meyer.

No offense intended but:

1) ND will pay him a chunk more than you guys.

2) He will have a better national recruiting base than you guys provide.

3) ND is one of the few places that has more "prestige" than a storied program like OU.

4) He isn't too "proud" to leave at a relatively "down" time. He has already restored OU to national title contending level.

5) He isn't as old as a guy like Mack and has said OU probably wasn't his last coaching stop.

I am definitely not saying he will go and in fact do hope he stays. If Stoops were at ND I think he would end up hurting us more than he does now in terms of recruiting the top guys in Texas. I think he makes the RRR a great thing that it wasn't prior to his arrival.

Hook'em

GEEZ. Please comment on topics you know a bit more about.

:pop:

Hook 'em

Scott D
11/28/2009, 01:39 AM
GEEZ. Please only comment on topics you actually know anything about.

:pop:

Hook 'em

fixed.

1890MilesToNorman
11/28/2009, 01:56 AM
I wish I could dream up **** like this, I could be the Jules Verne of today. Who's the most, what's the most, done the the most? Will this happen, will that happen?

these threads are getting very old.

See ya on the other side.

sendbaht
11/28/2009, 06:34 AM
So last week Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops called "ridiculous" rumors that he had told confidants he was interested in the Notre Dame job. But a source tells Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune that that won't deter Irish athletic director Jack Swarbrick. The source says that Stoops is at the top of Swarbrick's wish list for the next Notre Dame coach.

Hansen alluded the other day to the Irish's next coach perhaps having a defensive background, which would seem to eliminate Cincinnati's Brian Kelly. Today he gives "a snapshot of what the top of the list could look like on Black Friday." Stoops is in the catbird's seat, followed by Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp (whom Hansen first mentioned, seemingly in passing, on Wednesday), TCU coach Gary Patterson and Kelly.

Stoops has one of the plum jobs in college football but is an Ohio native and may be ready for a new challenge after 11 seasons in Norman. Muschamp is head-coach-in-waiting behind Mack Brown, but Brown is only 58 and may not retire for five or more years. His defensive turnarounds at LSU, Auburn and Texas have been impressive, but he's only 38 and has never been a head coach. Patterson would have to step into a spotlight he's not used to, but his stock may never be higher. Kelly seems to have it all, save his offensive background, but also would have to leave behind a small fiefdom of his creation.

Will one of these four men succeed Charlie Weis? Hansen writes that beyond Stoops, "the list would seem mutable as the candidates are weighed, analyzed and vetted," so ultimately these four may not even all get interviews.

VA Sooner
11/28/2009, 08:45 AM
To be the head coach at Notre Dame AND succeed, you would hope that Notre Dame has learned their lesson and would hire a coach with experience as head coach elsewhere before moving on. Will Muschamp, although a defensive genius, is not head coach material just yet. ND is learning, through a $18 million buyout/mistake, that it should have offered Urban Meyer a lot more money the first time around.

Bob would be a great candidate and I would not want to see him go. He's a great head coach with recruiting finesse and has worked with some great assistant coaches. He could boost ND back to national prominence in a few years.

But it's definitely not for the money. The money he makes at OU is tremendous when compared to other colleges... and deservedly so. With his salary and bonuses and endorsements, he's a mega-star in Oklahoma and well-respected.

As far as prestige... that's the bigger factor. And one I hope he doesn't consider to be honest. His recruiting base would be far bigger than what he has at OU right now. He would become Pete Carroll's arch nemesis with the rivalry with USC.

Too tempting... and that's what I worry about.

Notre Dame... hire Brian Kelly, the new hotshot coach at Cincy. Take Urban Meyer away from Florida who can't possibly keep this run going in the hotly-contested SEC.

But leave Stoops in Oklahoma to continue this incredible run at OU (2009 is an aberration due to injuries).

okiewaker
11/28/2009, 04:28 PM
I don't know if he is but the SA is reporting on the radio that a ND plane will landing in Norman tomorrow at 11:00 or so to have discussions with him. I know it's the SA so take it for what it's worth.

okiewaker
11/28/2009, 04:51 PM
Just reported again on SA, for what it's worth. 8yr 24mil package for Stoops. Just what I heard on SA, again, for what it's worth.

JLEW1818
11/28/2009, 08:57 PM
So bob is taking a major pay cut..

Petro-Sooner
11/28/2009, 09:00 PM
Stoops doesnt care about money. Its about championships. Something OU cant do. :rolleyes: :D

GKeeper316
11/28/2009, 09:04 PM

No offense intended but:

1) ND will pay him a chunk more than you guys. i doubt it

2) He will have a better national recruiting base than you guys provide. not with ND's admissions reqs

3) ND is one of the few places that has more "prestige" than a storied program like OU. **** off they do

4) He isn't too "proud" to leave at a relatively "down" time. He has already restored OU to national title contending level. down? because we got decimated by some injuries and had what we consider an "off" year?

5) He isn't as old as a guy like Mack and has said OU probably wasn't his last coaching stop. says who? we just gave him a bunch more money to stay

Hook'em

in conclusion... hook this, chode (ya thats right im grabbin my junk right now)

Uncle Ernie
11/28/2009, 09:04 PM
Stoops doesnt care about money. Its about championships. Something OU cant do. :rolleyes: :D

Nyuck! Nyuck!

delhalew
11/28/2009, 09:06 PM
UUHHHGGGG!!!!

Veritas
11/28/2009, 09:10 PM
I just posted a separate thread with my take, but Notre Dame is a wispy shell of a program desperately clinging to faded glory. No proven coach is going to give them a look.

JLEW1818
11/28/2009, 09:22 PM
My question,...

Can somebody please give me an example:
a coach who left an elite program, to go to another elite program, and take a pay cut. ............

NorthernIowaSooner
11/28/2009, 09:30 PM
My question,...

a coach who left an elite program, to go to another elite program, and take a pay cut. ............

i dont think that would apply here, they arent elite in my mind anymore, since lou holtz left they win less than 60% of their games, so i really dont think he takes a pay cut to go to a program that has fallen into the second tier

okiewaker
11/28/2009, 09:34 PM
My question,...

Not to mention one that needs rebuilding.

John Kochtoston
11/28/2009, 09:35 PM
Just reported again on SA, for what it's worth. 8yr 24mil package for Stoops. Just what I heard on SA, again, for what it's worth.

Depending on the season, that would be about $800,000 - $1.5 million a year LESS than he makes at OU.

JLEW1818
11/28/2009, 09:39 PM
i dont think that would apply here, they arent elite in my mind anymore, since lou holtz left they win less than 60% of their games, so i really dont think he takes a pay cut to go to a program that has fallen into the second tier

True, but they still are ND, and people get off to that.... But I'm with u tho. They have dropped big time.

fadada1
11/28/2009, 09:40 PM
shut the **** up, horn lurkers.

and as good as texas may/may not be, please answer me why mack never is in the discussion for the "nd-type" jobs... or nfl openings.

soonerinabilene
11/28/2009, 09:53 PM
shut the **** up, horn lurkers.

and as good as texas may/may not be, please answer me why mack never is in the discussion for the "nd-type" jobs... or nfl openings.

as far as nfl goes, mack doesnt fit the bill. he is an excellent college coach, but is not the type of guy it takes to be successful in the nfl. he is too much of a players coach. and after the epic failures of spurrier, saban, and petrino, along with the success of promoted nfl coordinators, i dont see college coachs making the jump straight to the head coachong position happening again for a while.

jkjsooner
11/28/2009, 09:53 PM
As far as prestige... that's the bigger factor. And one I hope he doesn't consider to be honest. His recruiting base would be far bigger than what he has at OU right now. He would become Pete Carroll's arch nemesis with the rivalry with USC.

Notre Dame hasn't been relevant since they temporarily loosened their entrance requirements under Holtz. Until ND can give their incoming coach the same sweet deal that Holtz got the job will remain a dead end.

There's a reason Notre Dame has been mediocre as of late and it has a lot more to do with the quality of the players than the quality of the coaches.

I wouldn't even leave Cincy for for ND. I'd hold out for a top job at a place where you can definitely win. Notre Dame is no longer that place.

adoniijahsooner
11/28/2009, 10:11 PM
From Dave Sittler's blog on the Tulsa World website:

Stoops Denies Notre Dame Rumors
11/28/2009 7:33:00 PM

NORMAN – Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops quickly shot down rumors that he has an interview set up with Notre Dame.

Several reports surfaced after the Sooners' 27-0 Bedlam victory over Oklahoma State that Irish officials would either fly to Norman sometime Sunday to interview Stoops or fly the OU coach to South Bend, Ind.

Asked in a text if he could confirm or deny the report, even if it was off the record, Stoops' return text to me read: "On the record, I am not (interviewing). First I've heard of this (rumor)."

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick also denied the Stoops speculation when contacted by the Chicago Tribune while he was attending the Irish's game Saturday at Stanford.

"Anything you hear about a contact with a coach is absolutely wrong," Swarbrick told the Tribune.

As of Saturday night, Notre Dame didn't have a job opening. Speculation is that Irish coach Charlie Weis could get fired as early as Sunday, but Swarbrick said the timetable for the meeting is "undetermined."

Here's one thing to remember: Stoops doesn't do interviews. He believes his track record at OU speaks volumes, and should do all the talking for him to any prospective AD.

As I've stated in recent columns, I don't think Stoops is going anywhere. And I'm not certain Notre Dame would be willing to shell out the millions it would take to even get Stoops to listen.

As competitive as Stoops is, I can't see him walking away from a school that has been extremely loyal to him after his 11th Sooner team has struggled through a mediocre 7-5 season.

Stoops strikes me as the kind of person who would like to leave a job when the cupboards are full and the team is winning big. He's obviously in the midst of a rebuilding job with the Sooners.

And then there's this: As it currently stands, OU is a better job than Notre Dame. It isn't even close. And that won't be changing anytime soon.

Perhaps Irish eyes will be shining on Stoops, but I just can't see it.

Scott D
11/28/2009, 10:13 PM
I can only hope that Spencer's source is the most credible source out there.

Squigglyline
11/28/2009, 10:16 PM
Generally speaking, where's there is smoke, there is fire... I really hope that's incorrect in this case...

Scott D
11/28/2009, 10:18 PM
Generally speaking, where's there is smoke, there is fire... I really hope that's incorrect in this case...

like the two times he was taking the Florida job?
or the two times he was taking the Chiefs job?
or the three times he was taking the Browns job?

Pricetag
11/28/2009, 10:23 PM
Asked in a text if he could confirm or deny the report, even if it was off the record, Stoops' return text to me read: "On the record, I am not (interviewing). First I've heard of this (rumor)."
I bet "(rumor)" was "****."

Squigglyline
11/28/2009, 10:24 PM
like the two times he was taking the Florida job?
or the two times he was taking the Chiefs job?
or the three times he was taking the Browns job?

Excellent points (X 3)...

Sooner Eclipse
11/28/2009, 10:27 PM
See below.... and then stop the stupidity

Irish AD says he's evaluating Weis
Associated Press

STANFORD, Calif. -- Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said he has not contacted any coaches about a potential vacancy if Charlie Weis is fired after the season.

"We haven't talked to anybody," Swarbrick said before the Fighting Irish played their regular season finale at Stanford on Saturday night.

He was asked about a report that Notre Dame would be meeting with candidates as soon as Sunday.

"We haven't authorized anybody to talk to anybody. It's simply not true. Any version of it."

Weis' job status is on shaky ground near the end of a third straight disappointing season for Notre Dame (6-5). Instead of remaining on the West Coast to recruit after the game as originally planned, Weis will fly back with the team to Indiana.

Weis said earlier in the week that he would have a hard time arguing if Swarbrick decided to fire him. The two will meet sometime after the team returns to campus.

"We'll engage in the evaluation in earnest following this game and we'll go from there," Swarbrick said.

Among the people considered possible candidates are Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly, TCU coach Gary Patterson and Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh.

Weis, who has six years left on a 10-year contract signed midway through his first season, took a 35-26 record into the game against Stanford in five years as Irish head coach. His .573 winning percentage is worse than the .583 marks that got his two predecessors, Tyrone Willingham and Bob Davie, fired.

After making it to Bowl Championship Series games his first two seasons, Weis has a losing record over his final three years. He is 16-20 heading into Saturday's game against the Cardinal since the start of the 2007 season -- the most losses ever by the Irish in a three-year span.

His only victory against a team that finished a season ranked in the Top 25 was a 41-17 win over Penn State squad, which finished the 2006 season ranked No. 24.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

boomermagic
11/29/2009, 12:11 PM
If he goes he goes.. I ain't worried either way we will be fine...

jkjsooner
11/29/2009, 12:20 PM
Someone explain to me why ND embarrassed themselves by having to to go way down on their candidate list the last two times they hired a coach yet this time they're magically going to get their choice of coaches.

Like I said before, if they promise to change entrance requirements I'll get nervous.

setem
11/29/2009, 12:39 PM
Someone explain to me why ND embarrassed themselves by having to to go way down on their candidate list the last two times they hired a coach yet this time they're magically going to get their choice of coaches.

Like I said before, if they promise to change entrance requirements I'll get nervous.

This

That is def a hamper on recruiting!

tanjou
11/29/2009, 12:43 PM
The AD has said that he hasn't even been in contact with prospective coaches yet. He said that YESTERDAY.

Additionally, coaches rarely admit to being interested in a potential job prior to actually taking it. Saban, Miles, Franchione, Petrino, etc.

So establishing that neither party will ever tip their hand, you can ignore everything you've heard.

You can, instead, go by what has come from the Notre Dame president and AD over the past year or so. That is:

1. President Jenkins and AD Swarbrick have both stated that the football program's success is first on their mind in athletics.
2. Jenkins has acknowledged the poor handling of coaching hires (not just the hires by themselves) by previous athletic directors have hurt the football program, and Swarbrick's hire was done in this context.
3. Notre Dame doesn't have a problem with money. It could be as much as 40-50 million dollars to buy out Weis' ten year contract and those of his staff.
4. Several boosters have said that the administration is after candidates with a) collegiate head coaching experience, b) proven nationwide recruiting ability, and c) national championship experience. That's not to say they will GET such a hire, but they are certainly going into this with the sky as the limit.

So, Stoops.

Those close to the program have heard for a year that Stoops was the person they were looking at. For good reason, of course. This next hire is crucial for the program, and it's too much of a gamble to hire someone who hasn't proven themselves as capable of doing what Notre Dame wants: a national championship. Another coach that eeks out 8 wins for 5 years would kill the program (no, it's not quite dead yet).

For Notre Dame, it's Meyer or Stoops. There's not a single chance in HELL anyone will get a definitive indicator that this is the case unless and until one of them sign the paper and hold a press conference saying it's done. Players won't know, staff won't know, simply because of the enormity of such a move.

All of that said, it's still very, very, unlikely that such a move would occur, by either coach, for so many reasons (family, business, etc.). But it says a lot about how badly Notre Dame wants a successful program again, and just how aware they are of their situation.

tanjou
11/29/2009, 12:55 PM
re: Notre Dame recruiting

There's no doubt that their academic standards make recruiting some players difficult, especially on defense, and other factors such as no JUCO transfers and strictness about off the field discipline are somewhat hindering. However, an excellent coach can overcome all those things. Really, you don't think there are 10 or 12 defensive players every year that are talented enough mentally and physically to hang at Notre Dame? And you don't think they would sign if they were coached by a proven leader?

The program's W/L record and performance has relegated them to irrelevance on the field the last 15 years or so. But the name and recruiting power is still there. It's more difficult to recruit and perform there, but possible, and with endless riches and fame if you do.

Now, whether or not a top tier coach believes such rewards are worth the added difficulty, that will vary. And we'll see soon which top coaches, if any, believe they are up to the challenge.

icmwhOU72
11/29/2009, 12:58 PM
I have heard an interview with stoops in the past when he talked about not being like joe pa and the like. He doesnt want to coach forever in college and would like to retire from college and coach high school ball. He grew up a catholic in ohio. ND is a childhood dream job and if he wants to take a new coaching job, then this is the time. If he stays after this, he is not going anywhere until he retires. My other thought is that this sounds a lot like the les miles deal when he was at osu. he denied rumors and at the end of the season he said see ya. I know that is not a very strong analogy, miles is a dirt bag, lsu was a step up from osu, and he was getting a pay raise. But i just dont think you guys should be too surprised if by wednesday december 2nd, stoops is gone.

setem
11/29/2009, 01:03 PM
I have heard an interview with stoops in the past when he talked about not being like joe pa and the like. He doesnt want to coach forever in college and would like to retire from college and coach high school ball. He grew up a catholic in ohio. ND is a childhood dream job and if he wants to take a new coaching job, then this is the time. If he stays after this, he is not going anywhere until he retires. My other thought is that this sounds a lot like the les miles deal when he was at osu. he denied rumors and at the end of the season he said see ya. I know that is not a very strong analogy, miles is a dirt bag, lsu was a step up from osu, and he was getting a pay raise. But i just dont think you guys should be too surprised if by wednesday december 2nd, stoops is gone.

Yeah but Lester was signing his contract at halftime of their bowl game! He screwed the pukes and didnt even kiss em!

OUinFLA
11/29/2009, 02:10 PM
Does ND have a school plane that can be tracked?
Or do they just decend from the clouds?

Mr. Nuke
11/29/2009, 04:09 PM
Does ND have a school plane that can be tracked?
Or do they just decend from the clouds?
They have the tail number blocked (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N42ND).

delhalew
11/29/2009, 04:12 PM
They have the tail number blocked (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N42ND).

They blocked that weeks ago...pretty funny.

delhalew
11/29/2009, 04:14 PM
The guy who takes Corey Wilson breakfast in the morning is just waiting to bail for Notre Dame...media=clueless

soonermagic14
11/29/2009, 05:16 PM
ND site saying that two people very close to the situation say that weis is out early this coming week and stoops will be named coach.

From the site:

"One of Bob Stoops's nephews, who I went to college with and one of my closest friends - CONFIRMS that Stoops has been offered the Head Job at Notre Dame and that Jack Swarbrick said he would be the highest paid coach in college football.

He (Stoops) will be in Youngstown this week because his grandmother (Mary Rochford -104 years old!) died. They will talk it over as a family there, but they are all big time Catholic/ND fans(with the whole Mooney connection).

I've been told that Weis will officially be dismissed Monday and Stoops, should he accept (my buddy says it's 95% that he will) will be introduced as soon as Tuesday or possibly Wednesday."

sooner59
11/29/2009, 05:23 PM
I have different sources that say Stoops is not taking the ND job. He will finally make the jump to the pros. Here is what the informant said:

"It is very likely that Jay-Z will announce early this week that the Nets are firing their coach and hiring Stoops, who has spoken with Lebron James and the Nets organization about the terms of the deal. James assured Stoops he would be coming to the Nets with Stoops in the offseason. The Nets will soar to the top of the NBA and return to prominence that has been lost for decades now."

Take that for what you will.

delhalew
11/29/2009, 05:33 PM
BLA BLA BLA ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

meoveryouxinfinity
11/29/2009, 05:36 PM
hahahhahaha

http://www.uhnd.com/bb/forum/index.php?action=display&forumid=6&msgid=224208

Jello Biafra
11/29/2009, 05:58 PM
http://www.irishroundtable.com/?p=1813

if it doesnt happen by wednesday, it wont happen at all.

FriscoTXsooner
11/29/2009, 06:04 PM
There isn't a money issue with buying out CW's contract, it isn't in the 20 million range, it may only be in the 3 million range. Buys outs are based off of base salary and not incentives, so his buy out would be is base which is about 650k per year times the years left.

I wouldn't worry though, bob isn't going anywhere, he and the Sooners will be back next year. But I predict there will be some shake up in the assistant ranks.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/29/2009, 06:10 PM
If Notre Dame offers Bob Stoops $__ million dollars, Oklahoma can counter-offer $__.01 million dollars. Money wouldn't be the reason.

MeMyself&Me
11/29/2009, 06:21 PM
Regarding the airplane thing, I looked at flightaware around 11am this morning. There were no airplanes that had gone to or were scheduled to go to or from Norman from the state of Indiana at that time. Also, there was no Oklahoma traffic to or from South Bend at that time. I'm pretty sure the site still shows hidden tail number airplanes with no tail number in the info... and there were none of those either.

They could go from South Bend to say St. Louis and then go to OUN making it harder to track though.

John Kochtoston
11/29/2009, 07:39 PM
http://www.irishroundtable.com/?p=1813

if it doesnt happen by wednesday, it wont happen at all.

Jello, all due respect, and I know you're just passing on the site, but the report is based on this:

One of Bob Stoops’s nephews, who I went to college with and one of my closest friends – CONFIRMS that Stoops has been offered the Head Job at Notre Dame and that Jack Swarbrick said he would be the highest paid coach in college football.

He (Stoops) will be in Youngstown this week because his grandmother (Mary Rochford -104 years old!) died. They will talk it over as a family there, but they are all big time Catholic/ND fans(with the whole Mooney connection).

I mean, there's better evidence connecting Stoops to the Kennedy assassination.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/29/2009, 07:47 PM
To be fair, Bob Stoops has no Alibi for Dealey Plaza

ashley
11/29/2009, 08:23 PM
It is not going to happen so please stop this.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2009, 08:27 PM
egarding the airplane thing, I looked at flightaware around 11am this morning. There were no airplanes that had gone to or were scheduled to go to or from Norman from the state of Indiana at that time. Also, there was no Oklahoma traffic to or from South Bend at that time. I'm pretty sure the site still shows hidden tail number airplanes with no tail number in the info... and there were none of those either.

Get a life.

I Am Right
11/29/2009, 08:29 PM
Why do people start new threads on this crap?

Some Blogger for Alaska said Stoops was taking the job and the internet has gone bonkers.

Mr. Nuke
11/29/2009, 08:38 PM
. I'm pretty sure the site still shows hidden tail number airplanes with no tail number in the info... and there were none of those either.

Flightaware does not show blocked traffic in any form. The entire purpose of blocking your tail number is preventing tracking on public sites such as flightaware.

soonerchris
11/29/2009, 10:14 PM
Stoops to take job at juco in kansas. Confirmed by the man that set next to the man who set next to the man that set next to the got-damned man. Know what I mean man???

soonerchris
11/29/2009, 10:17 PM
Joe c. To hire goldie hawn based on that movie where she was a football coach. If I'm lyin I'm cryin and I aint sheddin a tear

AMSooner
11/29/2009, 10:32 PM
Bob isn't in South Bend or Youngstown at the moment. I saw him three hours ago at the Thunder game chillin' in the Riverwind Casino suite with Matt McMillen and some other dude.

MR2-Sooner86
11/29/2009, 10:43 PM
Bob Stoops to Notre Dame. Sorry guys.

I heard it from a friend's cousin who's friend's friend washes his car at the same place of the guy that cuts the hair of Bob's son's best friend's dad's co-worker's old college buddy's roommate.

Sasakwa
11/29/2009, 10:47 PM
I saw him three hours ago at the Thunder game chillin' in the Riverwind Casino suite with Matt McMillen and some other dude.

Me too, but bad news, the "other dude" was Swarbrick !!! Durant to ND?

MeMyself&Me
11/30/2009, 12:22 AM
Flightaware does not show blocked traffic in any form. The entire purpose of blocking your tail number is preventing tracking on public sites such as flightaware.

Again, not sure on Flightaware, but I know at least some similar services will show there's an airplane and will even tell you the type but not the tail number or the ownership if it is set up to be hidden via ASDI vendors.

Some private FBOs will have monitors in the lobby showing airplanes inbound to the airport and you can see these airplanes... just not the personal data. This same data is provided to the other sites that the average joe accesses.

It still would not be that difficult to hide travel, just use unexpected arrival and departure airports. That combined with no personal data makes it nearly impossible unless someone at the airports says something.

They could also block data at the FAA level which would hide everything because there would be no data. However, the operator would not be able to use any flight tracking service for their own use either.

If they did meet today as reported by the SA yesterday, they're doing what's needed to hide it.

Little Al
11/30/2009, 12:54 AM
ND fans: If ifs and buts were candy and nuts,
you'd have a heck of a Christmas...

sooner59
11/30/2009, 01:25 AM
Me too, but bad news, the "other dude" was Swarbrick !!! Durant to ND?

For real? Ouch.

AMSooner
11/30/2009, 09:46 AM
For real? Ouch.

Um, no. Unless Swarbrick got hair plugs, dyed them dark brown and became 15 years younger.

StoopTroup
11/30/2009, 10:05 AM
Sasakwa Fail.

n8v_ndn
11/30/2009, 12:08 PM
I understand coach Stoops has nothing against North Dakota, but prefers to get his QBs out of South Dakota...oh wait

HBick
11/30/2009, 12:28 PM
ESPN Radio is reporting that ND offered Stoops the job yesterday afternoon. Also, this is probably completely unrelated, but we did see the OU jet flying low from the south heading toward Max Westheimer airport about 3:30pm yesterday.

I think it's unrelated because 1) ND would use their own jet, 2) Probably Capel out on the recruiting trail. Just letting those not in Norman know the rumblings. Also had class with Landry and QC this morning, I obviously didn't ask, but they were fine, a little happier than last week.

salth2o
11/30/2009, 12:48 PM
Has Weis been fired yet?

olevetonahill
11/30/2009, 01:04 PM
Has Weis been fired yet?

Nope

Jello Biafra
11/30/2009, 01:47 PM
2) Probably Capel out on the recruiting trail. .

pssst....you DO know the BB team played a tourney in A friggin LASKA this weekend? right?

goingoneight
11/30/2009, 01:54 PM
Sam Bradford addressed the Sooner fans on Saturday that this was his final game in Norman.

Bradford to Notre Dame.

You heard it here first.

StoopTroup
11/30/2009, 01:58 PM
pssst....you DO know the BB team played a tourney in A friggin LASKA this weekend? right?

Somebody just flunked the Fan Final that Jello was giving. :D

SoonerinSouthlake
11/30/2009, 02:18 PM
ITS OFFICIAL
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2009/11/30/2009-11-30_source_notre_dame_fires_head_coach_charlie_weis _.html

Let the "I saw Stoops in Southbend looking for houses" rumors begin (or grow even more common)

sooner59
11/30/2009, 02:20 PM
Yep, its about to get even more annoying.

jduggle
11/30/2009, 02:32 PM
As annoying as it is... has Stoops clearly said he is not a candidate for the ND job?

OUDoc
11/30/2009, 02:39 PM
Yes.
A couple of times.

Big D Sooner
11/30/2009, 02:48 PM
Nick Saban ruined it for everyone. Now, no matter what Stoops says to the media, people just assume that he is lying

Scott D
11/30/2009, 02:56 PM
Sam Bradford addressed the Sooner fans on Saturday that this was his final game in Norman.

Bradford to Notre Dame.

You heard it here first.

as defensive coordinator. A job as big as the fix up that Notre Dame needs can only go to one man.

Tim Tebow is to forego the SEC Championship game and subsequent Bowl appearance to become the new AD/Head Coach at Notre Dame...you'll hear that the AD is being canned tomorrow because God spoke to the University President during the coaches meeting.

badger
11/30/2009, 02:56 PM
Nick Saban ruined it for everyone.

Ruined it worse than the party crashers at the White House.

As for what Stoops has said here goes. Link No. 1... (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091129_231_B13_NORMAN255620&archive=yes)

Several reports surfaced after the Sooners’ 27-0 Bedlam victory over Oklahoma State that Irish officials would either fly to Norman sometime Sunday to interview Stoops or fly the OU coach to South Bend, Ind.

Asked in a text if he could confirm or deny the report, even if it was off the record, Stoops’ return text to me read: “On the record, I am not (interviewing). First I’ve heard of this (rumor).”

Link No. 2... (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091117_92_B5_NORMAN509705&archive=yes)

Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops seemed a bit incredulous that his name had come up as a candidate for the not-yet-vacant position at Notre Dame.

"That's ridiculous," Stoops said Monday night following the Sooners' practice.

A published report in the Chicago Sun-Times on Sunday cited a source who said "Stoops has told confidants he would be interested in talking to the Irish." The report also listed Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz as being "in the mix" to replace Weis. Stoops and Ferentz are among more than a dozen major college coaches who are represented by Cleveland-based agent Neil Cornrich. Ferentz was offensive line coach at Iowa while Stoops was an Iowa defensive back.

Stoops, though, was having none of it.

"Some confidant, huh?" Stoops said. "I have no idea what you're talking about. Notre Dame doesn't have a job (open). And I haven't spoken to any confidants about anything, outside of trying to beat Texas Tech."

jduggle
11/30/2009, 03:00 PM
Saban was keeping his options open.

Thanks for the quotes.

badger
11/30/2009, 03:06 PM
Saban was keeping his options open.

Thanks for the quotes.

Just for you a blast from Satan's past... (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2718488)

Nov. 27:
"When I was in college it was always about coming to the pros. This is the challenge I wanted. I had a good college job. Why would I have left that if I was going to be interested in other college jobs?

"I took this as a challenge. We certainly haven't seen this through and gotten where we want to go and finished the job here, so why would I be interested in something else?"

"I am completely sold on Nick Saban. I would admit we made a mistake if we did make a mistake, but I firmly believe in Nick Saban."

"I'm flattered that they may have been interested in me, but it never really progressed, because we just never let it progress."

"I guess I have to say it. I'm not going to be the Alabama coach. ... I don't control what people say. I don't control what people put on dot-com or anything else. So I'm just telling you there's no significance, in my opinion, about this, about me, about any interest that I have in anything other than being the coach here."

"I'm just making a rule to never comment on something like that again because every time you comment on it, it just makes for another story. So I'm not going to comment on it five years from now, and I'm not going to comment on it next week."

And on Jan. 4, 2007:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WCrIotSdkFA/SW4iXwOBXNI/AAAAAAAABIM/R3Kf_tBAA5Q/s400/saban+dollars.jpg
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2007/01/03/bama-large.jpg
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/1219/nfl_u_fins_fans_580.jpg

oksoonerdave
11/30/2009, 03:12 PM
Fox news just announced that Weis is out at ND.

CBUS_SOONER
11/30/2009, 03:13 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I got a bad feeling Stoops may take the job...

SUPERFAN
11/30/2009, 03:15 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/299902-scout-writer-reports-bob-stoops-will-coach-notre-dame

I agree with CBUS.....he is gone....

Soonerus
11/30/2009, 03:16 PM
You guys are nutty...

SUPERFAN
11/30/2009, 03:17 PM
You guys are nutty...

I hope you're right....

badger
11/30/2009, 03:19 PM
btw, Stoops today said he has no interest in Notre Dame.

Link. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091130_92_0_NORMAN161721)

CBUS_SOONER
11/30/2009, 03:20 PM
I hope I'm wrong... My gut says he is gone. He(Stoops) has been answering the questions different this time. ND is an average job... OU is THE job

OUDoc
11/30/2009, 03:21 PM
Stoops has never struck me as a liar.

Squigglyline
11/30/2009, 03:23 PM
a whole helluva lot of speculation as of now. I truly hope he stays BUT if he elects to go -I am thankful for his tenure at OU. He's been a great coach for us...

soonerfanatic1
11/30/2009, 03:25 PM
Stoops has never struck me as a liar.

If this is tgrue anyone think we go after Texas defensive co.

CBUS_SOONER
That link makes me feel better

Pigface1
Notre Dame is going after Tebow.

/

CBUS_SOONER
11/30/2009, 03:26 PM
Fu@# Muschump

olevetonahill
11/30/2009, 03:31 PM
Notre Dame is going after Tebow.

/

They are not
I told Yall Ive been hearing Josh

so thats who it is .

tulsaoilerfan
11/30/2009, 03:39 PM
You guys are nutty...

Ok i'm offically worried now :D

sooner59
11/30/2009, 03:45 PM
With all this recent press, Stoops is gonna win the Heisman. That's how it works, right?

HBick
11/30/2009, 06:26 PM
Okay this will be fun, since apparently Stoops is already gone according the posters above, I say we go stick to Urban and hire his D Coordinator Charlie Strong. Dude can coach, and should of gotten a job last year. I think that would be great, mainly because I don't like the idea of Venables or Wilson in charge of the teams. Just me.

UberSooner
11/30/2009, 07:28 PM
ESPN just broke in with an update and says its his if terms are worked out. Don't know what it's worth but the scales are tipping a wee bit in my mind.

bmjlr
11/30/2009, 07:35 PM
Well, if he does go, he will be back in 2011 to coach against OU. I hope it ain't so.

setem
11/30/2009, 07:44 PM
ESPN just broke in with an update and says its his if terms are worked out. Don't know what it's worth but the scales are tipping a wee bit in my mind.

He already said he is not going! Stop with the BREAKING NEWS because it is all BS!

Also if they just broke with the news send us a link!

bstuff1979
11/30/2009, 07:44 PM
I'm not one to jump on rumor bandwagons, and I certainly hope Stoops stays for another decade, but I heard something this evening that gives me some cause for concern. This sounds a little "Ferris Bueller", but here goes. A friend of mine from college has an uncle in the ND athletic dept. He's not one to make things up or hold on to nonsense, apparently. What she told me was, "the scuttlebutt around the office is that it's Stoops, they just need to finalize some things". No talk of when, details, or anything else. I know this person well enough to know that she's not blowing smoke, and she knows me well enough to know that I could very well have had a stroke when she told me this. That being said, I'm a little spooked.

kevpks
11/30/2009, 07:55 PM
Man there are a lot of well connected people on this board. Thank you for sharing all of this insider information. :rolleyes:

JLEW1818
11/30/2009, 07:55 PM
i still think he will end up at UTEP

setem
11/30/2009, 07:59 PM
i still think he will end up at UTEP

Like I said before...Bob needs to do what's sensible, File for unemployment. Then go try to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, because they have an excellent corporate structure and they give !you! the tools to be your own boss.

UberSooner
11/30/2009, 07:59 PM
He already said he is not going! Stop with the BREAKING NEWS because it is all BS!

Also if they just broke with the news send us a link!

It was on the friggin t.v. sorry, can't link it. What's with you people, i'm just postin on a fan board not sorce checking for my Phd. paper.

setem
11/30/2009, 08:02 PM
It was on the friggin t.v. sorry, can't link it. What's with you people, i'm just postin on a fan board not source checking for my Phd. paper.

SCREEN CAPS BRO SCREEN CAPS!

I think I am a little on edge...sorry! Wanna be friends?

bstuff1979
11/30/2009, 08:03 PM
Man there are a lot of well connected people on this board. Thank you for sharing all of this insider information. :rolleyes:

hey, don't kill the messenger. just telling you all what I heard, roll your eyes all you want. no need to be a jerk about it. I wouldn't have put it on the board if I didn't know it to be legit (the connection, not the rumor).

TUSooner
11/30/2009, 08:09 PM
"What I'm saying is I couldn't be more happy and pleased with what we're doing here. And again, I'm not confirming or denying anything about Notre Dame or any other job. My point is this is what I love doing right now."

When it comes to coaching changes, every coach talks like Bill Clinton.

kevpks
11/30/2009, 08:11 PM
hey, don't kill the messenger. just telling you all what I heard, roll your eyes all you want. no need to be a jerk about it. I wouldn't have put it on the board if I didn't know it to be legit (the connection, not the rumor).

I'm sorry but that post matches the formula of the BS rumors that pop up in a situation like this. "I'm not one to post rumors but..."; "This person I know says it's a done deal and he or she A) works in the office, B) is related to someone close to the situation, or C) I can't name my source . It wouldn't matter what job it was, there would be half a dozen people on here "close to the situation".

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2009, 08:14 PM
When it comes to coaching changes, every coach talks like Bill Clinton.

And they have to. I mean, what are they going to say? "I'm negotiating for this new job and with the right terms, I'm gone. But if I get short sheeted, I'm staying right here. Check my facebook page for the latest developments".

bstuff1979
11/30/2009, 08:34 PM
I'm sorry but that post matches the formula of the BS rumors that pop up in a situation like this. "I'm not one to post rumors but..."; "This person I know says it's a done deal and he or she A) works in the office, B) is related to someone close to the situation, or C) I can't name my source . It wouldn't matter what job it was, there would be half a dozen people on here "close to the situation".

Fair enough, but understand if I'm a not all that geeked up over someone calling me out. I don't know the guy, never met him (though he did get me tickets to the Bush-push game), but I do know his niece. She's not one to pull a stunt like this if there wasn't anything to it. All I'm relaying is that the folks in the athletic dept up there, from what she told me, think it's likely a go. They don't know if it is or not, but I've been given the impression that there's an awful lot of talk that indicates that there's more to the Stoops-to-ND thing than just rumors. The "the scuttlebutt around the office..." is coming from a recruiting evaluator whom I've never met, so take it how you will. I get why folks would think that this is more of the same "I know this guy..." stuff, but I'm just telling you what I've heard. Personally, I find it hard to come up with a rational to move from OU to ND if you're Stoops and I'd be shocked if he did. Just saying that I wasn't expecting to be worried about this ND rumor mill, but I'm a little worried.

TUSooner
11/30/2009, 08:35 PM
When it comes to coaching changes, every coach talks like Bill Clinton.And they have to. I mean, what are they going to say? "I'm negotiating for this new job and with the right terms, I'm gone. But if I get short sheeted, I'm staying right here. Check my facebook page for the latest developments".

EXACTLY. Unless they flat-out lie, they neither confirm or deny negotiations, especially if there's a third-party buffer. And they can say, truthfully, "I like it here. I'm happy here. I intend to stay here" - by which they might mean just what you said: "I'm negotiating for this new job and with the right terms, I'm gone. But if I get short sheeted, I'm staying right here." They "plan to stay" at the instant they are speaking, but something might come up in, say, the next 30 seconds or so.

OKLA21FAN
11/30/2009, 08:36 PM
I'm not one to jump on rumor bandwagons, and I certainly hope Stoops stays for another decade, but I heard something this evening that gives me some cause for concern. This sounds a little "Ferris Bueller", but here goes. A friend of mine from college has an uncle in the ND athletic dept. He's not one to make things up or hold on to nonsense, apparently. What she told me was, "the scuttlebutt around the office is that it's Stoops, they just need to finalize some things". No talk of when, details, or anything else. I know this person well enough to know that she's not blowing smoke, and she knows me well enough to know that I could very well have had a stroke when she told me this. That being said, I'm a little spooked.

Thanks Simone

delhalew
11/30/2009, 08:36 PM
"And I will have you know, that my dog is always with me! RUFF"

MichiganSooner
11/30/2009, 08:38 PM
Stoops IS interested in Notre Dame....interested in kicking their butt when OU plays them.

bstuff1979
11/30/2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks Simone

No problem whatsoever.

S008NER
11/30/2009, 09:11 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4701759&categoryid=2378529

Not sure how much espn knows perhaps where there is smoke there is fire. If he does decide to leave, we thank him for his service and move on.

SoCal
11/30/2009, 09:17 PM
I how those jerks at ESPN are wrong!

BigRedTradition
11/30/2009, 09:21 PM
As a Husker fan, I would be a little down if he left.

I was really looking forward to many years of Stoops vs Pelini. It just seems 'right'.

If it's true, sorry guys. That sucks...but you'll find someone as great or greater.

Best of luck either way. :)

bstuff1979
11/30/2009, 09:24 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4701759&categoryid=2378529

Not sure how much espn knows perhaps where there is smoke there is fire. If he does decide to leave, we thank him for his service and move on.

I don't really believe what ESPN is saying, in total, for a moment, much less the Chicago blogger. I've gone from 100% sure Stoops is staying this afternoon to up in the air, but with ESPN I get the feeling that they're hyping as much as they're going with solid info. I don't think Stoops is going anywhere, but there's just a little too much going around not to think that something's going on. I think it's just some ND people getting ahead of themselves, but I'm still knocking on wood.

OU4LIFE
11/30/2009, 09:25 PM
we're doomed. It's over man. Game over. Pack it up.

CBUS_SOONER
11/30/2009, 09:27 PM
I'm telling ya, we are screwed

bstuff1979
11/30/2009, 09:30 PM
we're doomed. It's over man. Game over. Pack it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsmybQKpmTw

Hey, it worked for Blake against 'Cuse

setem
11/30/2009, 09:34 PM
Oh the drama! If he leaves he leaves! We will find someone who will do a fine job? If he leaves and we find number 8 in the next couple of seasons will everyone be happy he took the money and ran?

Lest we forget there is a trend with 2nd year coaches winning MNCs! Right?

olevetonahill
11/30/2009, 09:37 PM
I think some of Yall have lost yer friggin Minds :eek:

bstuff1979
11/30/2009, 09:39 PM
Oh the drama! If he leaves he leaves! We will find someone who will do a fine job? If he leaves and we find number 8 in the next couple of seasons will everyone be happy he took the money and ran?

Lest we forget there is a trend with 2nd year coaches winning MNCs! Right?

But if he leaves, and his replacement (likely) is either Venables or K. Wilson, a significant portion of the fan base would collectively go bat-stuff crazy and burn the state down. This would mean that my house would burn down, and that would really ruin my weekend.

setem
11/30/2009, 09:47 PM
We are OU we will go after another big name. Those guys will make good coaches elsewhere but not here! No worries my friends!

TMcGee86
11/30/2009, 09:49 PM
FIRE HEAD COACH VENABLES/WILSON NOW!!!!

setem
11/30/2009, 09:54 PM
The other thread says Bob just reconfirmed that he is staying here in OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKLAHOMA!

WHAT SAY YOU?

bstuff1979
11/30/2009, 10:03 PM
The other thread says Bob just reconfirmed that he is staying here in OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKLAHOMA!

WHAT SAY YOU?

Halleluja, holy shnikies, where's the tylenol? First on my agenda? Get a beer. Second? Call up my ND friend and give her some benevolent grief and then wish her luck with Brian Kelley.

OKLA21FAN
12/1/2009, 02:33 PM

ask you friend if she would like to use her mulligan now. :pop:

boomermagic
12/1/2009, 02:57 PM
Yes, I do believe he is interested in ND and I think they should offer Mike the job..

bstuff1979
12/1/2009, 03:03 PM
ask you friend if she would like to use her mulligan now. :pop:

oh, I'm looking forward to this phone call

Jacie
12/1/2009, 03:28 PM
I don't know if OUr coach is saying one thing and wanting another but as of today, the Notre Dame fan base still has their collective hearts set on hiring Bob Stoops and not so much Brian Kelly.

It has been suggested that money is not the issue since he already makes $3 million/year but admission standards (i.e. if you buy into the rumor that he is indeed talking to ND).

Is Bob Stoops coveted amongst college football programs such that the Domers would lower admission standards so he could recruit the kind of players needed to win?