PDA

View Full Version : Home Recording Software (Reaper)

Howzit
11/27/2009, 03:48 PM
Anybody know anything about home recording software? I am trying to use Reaper and not having much luck. It seems to be recording tracks, I seem to be able to "render" (whatever that means) them as wav files, when I play them the meters are moving like it is playing, but no sound comes out.

TIA

jiminy
11/27/2009, 05:30 PM
I've always used Sonar, but am getting ready to try Ardour, the free open source DAW. It's Linux and Mac only, though, I think. Your Reaper issue is probably just a matter of getting it on the right bus.

StoopTroup
11/27/2009, 05:32 PM
Hook up your speakers. :D

GottaHavePride
11/27/2009, 05:54 PM
I record with a Zoom H2 and use Nero Wave Editor to clean up the tracks. It's not very versatile software, but since I'm usually at most doing a little copy/paste work, trimming the dead air off the beginning and end, and maybe bumping the amplitude or hiss removal, it works ok.

I can't afford ProTools, and I don't have a Mac anyway.

Howzit
11/27/2009, 06:20 PM
I was looking for something where I would click record and it would spit out awesome CD's that sounded better than my playing. Reaper isn't that.

StoopTroup
11/27/2009, 06:35 PM
Maybe this...I haven't used it but I just did a quick search.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/audioeditors.shtml

OklaPony
11/27/2009, 06:53 PM
(Shameless Plug)

http://www.harmanrebates.com/HarmanHolidayRebate.pdf

The package on the bottom right comes to about $450.00 after tax and rebate and I just happen to know someone that has them in stock. (hint, hint) :)

The Zoom H2 that GHP mentioned is the bomb for simple "turn it on and record in stereo" action. Sounds shockingly good for the $$$ you spend but no multitrack input capability. It comes with the same software (Cubase LE4) as the Lexicon products but you don't get the cool Lex reverb plugin and other goodies. I just happen to know someone that has these in stock also, lol. :D

GottaHavePride
11/27/2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah, see, for a trombone what I need is the mic, not inputs. :D

OklaPony
11/28/2009, 07:54 AM
Yeah, see, for a trombone what I need is the mic, not inputs. :D
We can plug you into a Silent Brass mute if you don't mind a teeny bit of back pressure, lol.

Anyway, I thought you had a trombone-ectomy. Weren't you doing a non-playing gig in Wichita?

AggieTool
11/28/2009, 10:55 AM
I use Reaper with no problems.

Rendering just means you're condensing the tracks into a playable format.

Are you trying to make CD's?

Mixer!
11/28/2009, 11:22 AM
Do any of these programs record mp3 files? I've been needing to find either a program that works with a netbook's microphone, or a digital recording device with a USB connector that I can plug in & download into an mp3 file.

Howzit
11/28/2009, 07:19 PM
I use Reaper with no problems.

Rendering just means you're condensing the tracks into a playable format.

Are you trying to make CD's?

Yes.

It seemed like when I did that it actually created multiple files. I have started cheating by actually reading the user documentation, I'm at least creating multiple tracks, if I render the project will it combine all of the tracks into one file?

GottaHavePride
11/28/2009, 08:12 PM
We can plug you into a Silent Brass mute if you don't mind a teeny bit of back pressure, lol.

Anyway, I thought you had a trombone-ectomy. Weren't you doing a non-playing gig in Wichita?

Heh. I got one of those. It's pretty cool when you run it through a distortion pedal. ;) I left my non-playing gig because it was a non-playing gig. I'm back at OU finishing a master's in orchestral conducting, auditioned for the NY Phil on trombone last summer, about to audition for the Boston Symphony in a few months...

Do any of these programs record mp3 files? I've been needing to find either a program that works with a netbook's microphone, or a digital recording device with a USB connector that I can plug in & download into an mp3 file.

The H2 (hardward, not software) will record to WAV files with about 8 different compression and sampling-rate combinations, as well as mp3 files. Then you hook it up with a USB cable and treat it like an external drive to copy files to your computer.

Veritas
11/28/2009, 09:41 PM
Have you tried Audacity?
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

AggieTool
11/29/2009, 10:07 PM
Yes.

It seemed like when I did that it actually created multiple files. I have started cheating by actually reading the user documentation, I'm at least creating multiple tracks, if I render the project will it combine all of the tracks into one file?

Yes, that's how you do it.

I think the instructions are on page 280 or so.

You have to select each track in the browse window (ctr-x I think) and then insert markers.

Render to CD format and select burn after rendering. Make sure you have a blank CD-R ready in the writer.

Howzit
11/30/2009, 11:12 AM
Yes, that's how you do it.

I think the instructions are on page 280 or so.

You have to select each track in the browse window (ctr-x I think) and then insert markers.

Render to CD format and select burn after rendering. Make sure you have a blank CD-R ready in the writer.

Maybe that's where I've been messing up.

;)

Thanks.