PDA

View Full Version : Offensive creativity by Auburn/Malzon

OUmillenium
11/27/2009, 03:02 PM
For all the sunshine pumpers, Gus and Auburn are pulling out all the stops instead of a gushing waterfall of vanilla fail. Fun to watch, keeps defense off balance and sets up success for the basic plays.

Not saying you should overdo the trickery like the Harlem Globetrotters, but a serious diversity in offensive playcalling is needed outside of BIG 10 football, which of course is all we have seen this year.

I love Demarco in the wildcat. Would be nice to see it when the game is on the line and not just when we are up 30 points at home.

Same with reverses.

rawlingsHOH
11/27/2009, 03:44 PM
For all the sunshine pumpers, Gus and Auburn are pulling out all the stops instead of a gushing waterfall of vanilla fail. Fun to watch, keeps defense off balance and sets up success for the basic plays.

Not saying you should overdo the trickery like the Harlem Globetrotters, but a serious diversity in offensive playcalling is needed outside of BIG 10 football, which of course is all we have seen this year.

I love Demarco in the wildcat. Would be nice to see it when the game is on the line and not just when we are up 30 points at home.
Same with reverses.

You might want to review that one.

OUmillenium
11/27/2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I know. Just would like to see it more. Did we see it versus BYU, Neb, or how much?

I just flash back to the reverse to Manny then downfield pass versus Miami in 07 when we are up 30. Where is the diversity when we are on the road in a close game?

yermom
11/27/2009, 04:22 PM
how about Broyles trowing a pick out of it in the endzone when the game wasn't quite out of reach in Lubbock?

Leroy Lizard
11/27/2009, 04:28 PM
I think trick plays are mostly for the fans. Too much precious time is wasted practicing for a play that you only run once, and half the time fails.

yermom
11/27/2009, 04:31 PM
tell that to the Dolphins

or Boise :mad:

85sooners
11/27/2009, 04:36 PM
JUST SCORE

Scott D
11/27/2009, 04:39 PM
tell that to the Dolphins

or Boise :mad:

Dolphins did just fine last week without the wildcat being used as much as it had been previously.

Boise runs a more conventional offense most of the time...gimmick plays are just that, plays that you run at odd times to throw a defense off balance.

Auburn like Arkansas was when he was there is so incredibily inconsistent with Malzhan's offense it's not hard to figure out why the guy has made 3 stops in 4 years.

Although if you want to get to nuts and bolts, the main thing his offense are known for are being a hurry up offense, something that even this coaching staff at OU has been doing for the last two years no matter how 'vanilla' the plays seem.

OUTrumpet
11/27/2009, 06:04 PM
I loved that clock management at the end of the game. 4 plays run in 90 seconds.

You've been running the hurry up all game and decide to pull the meer-cat bs at the end?

VA Sooner
11/27/2009, 08:16 PM
And running up the middle, short passes up the middle, and no out-of-bounds plays.

Great clock management... I was looking for Les Miles on the sidelines to see if he was going to tell Chris Dodd to spike it every down.

Scott D
11/27/2009, 08:19 PM
And running up the middle, short passes up the middle, and no out-of-bounds plays.

Great clock management... I was looking for Les Miles on the sidelines to see if he was going to tell Chris Dodd to spike it every down.

oh wait, so you mean that Malzahn runs the same type of offense that Kevin Wilson does....I guess we don't need to worry about adding any of that Malzahn creativity then ;)

Crucifax Autumn
11/27/2009, 08:31 PM
The end of that game was just plain old stupid.

bri
11/28/2009, 01:47 AM
Auburn like Arkansas was when he was there is so incredibily inconsistent with Malzhan's offense it's not hard to figure out why the guy has made 3 stops in 4 years.

Your argument is invalid; none of his moves have been because he was fired. He left Arkiesaw for Tulsa 'cause Houston Nutt is a crazy *sshole, and he could have stayed at TU as long as he wanted. Trust me on that; we LOVE Gus.

sozo
11/28/2009, 10:29 AM
Your argument is invalid; none of his moves have been because he was fired. He left Arkiesaw for Tulsa 'cause Houston Nutt is a crazy *sshole, and he could have stayed at TU as long as he wanted. Trust me on that; we LOVE Gus.bri,you are sooooo right!

prrriiide
11/28/2009, 11:25 AM
The idea isn't to run trick plays all over the place. The idea is to run them just enough to kep the D guessing. Just like with a good gumbo, you don't want to overdo the cayenne. The rice is your running game, the meats are your passing game. The spices are the mis-directions and unexpected plays. But if the rice is sticky and the meat is overcooked, no amount of spice is going to make the gumbo good again.

Crucifax Autumn
11/28/2009, 11:32 AM
I have no idea how anyone could EVER overdo the cayenne!

OU-HSV
11/28/2009, 11:42 AM
how about Broyles trowing a pick out of it in the endzone when the game wasn't quite out of reach in Lubbock?

It was out of reach in the second quarter, I thought that was obvious. Of course I was at the game, (maybe you were too?), but I just think maybe that gave me a little different perspective on the feeling of the way the game was going.

I never understood why we wasted running that play w/Broyles. Seemed like a play we would've wanted to keep for a game like today. Seemed like a dumb time to run it at that moment in Lubbock. None the less, Broyles needs to be smarter than to throw that ball...he should've tucked it and ran. It was obvious he was throwing a pick when he released it.

OUmillenium
11/28/2009, 05:11 PM
The idea isn't to run trick plays all over the place. The idea is to run them just enough to kep the D guessing. Just like with a good gumbo, you don't want to overdo the cayenne. The rice is your running game, the meats are your passing game. The spices are the mis-directions and unexpected plays. But if the rice is sticky and the meat is overcooked, no amount of spice is going to make the gumbo good again.

Yes, great analogy. My inlaws are cajuns by the way.

Don't need the Harlem Globetrotters, just some well-timed diversity.

Scott D
11/28/2009, 06:43 PM

even the trick play queens at Boise don't run more than 2-3 a game at the most. The Fiesta Bowl being the exception.

Scott D
11/28/2009, 06:44 PM
Your argument is invalid; none of his moves have been because he was fired. He left Arkiesaw for Tulsa 'cause Houston Nutt is a crazy *sshole, and he could have stayed at TU as long as he wanted. Trust me on that; we LOVE Gus.

never at any point said he got fired.....but I don't expect him to stay at Allbarn for more than 2 to 3 years at the most before he chases another offensive ambulance.