PDA

View Full Version : Does he retire this year and if he does . . .

Jacie
11/27/2009, 12:49 PM
. . . how do you think the coach-in-waiting (CIW) will do once he is handling all of the responsibility?

The potential retiree is Mack Brown and the CIW is, of course, Will Muschamp.

I realize Mack is actually enjoying himself now but even he has to be a little concerned about a drop off after Ponyboy, his BFF, the O-line, et al use up their eligibility and move on, leaving the sa*et offense but a shell of this year's version.

Win or lose the BCS this year, now is as good as it is going to get in Austin for the foresseable future.

So will Mack see the writing on the wall and retire (Aside: Does Deloss Dodds finally step down and let Mack be AD?)?

Anyway, assuming Brown retires, what will the Will Muschamp era of sa*et football be like? Watching him on the sidelines he looks like an excitable boy. That can work for an assistant coach but I think it is a bit much for a head coach. Administrators, boosters, parents of players/prospects aren't looking to meet and deal with the head cheerleader.

It is sa*et so the bloom won't fade from the rose overnight, but good, even great coordinators, don't neccessarily succeed at the top level of coaching. Is he the next big thing or is he over-hyped?

I think . . . hyped.

TJKDone
11/27/2009, 01:00 PM
It'll have to wait several more years if what most say around Texas are correct.

But in the event that it does we feel like Will will do a great job. It is sure possible that he won't, but we want to give it a shot given that we would have a lot of other options.

Hook'em

badger
11/27/2009, 01:11 PM
Speculation and rumors speculate and ruminate that ND will be seeking a defensive-minded coach to replace Failbot Charlie "Whale" Weis and that Muschump is a contender for said job.

Just sayin'... would a head-coach designate wait if a head job was for the taking? Will Muschamp does not seem like the type of person that can resist a head job and cannot wait to get a head job.

soonervegas
11/27/2009, 01:31 PM
I think if Mack wins this year he might call it a career, but my gut says he will give it 4-5 more years before handing it over. Although they will be "rebuilding" next year they will be right back in the mix in a year or two.....just like OU.

and neither Brown or Stoops replacement will do near as well.

GottaHavePride
11/27/2009, 01:57 PM
Speculation and rumors speculate and ruminate that ND will be seeking a defensive-minded coach to replace Failbot Charlie "Whale" Weis and that Muschump is a contender for said job.

Just sayin'... would a head-coach designate wait if a head job was for the taking? Will Muschamp does not seem like the type of person that can resist a head job and cannot wait to get a head job.

Heh. Say "head job" a few more times in there. It's funnay.

:)

Sooner70
11/27/2009, 02:18 PM
Mack would probably be a good AD. He has several positive traits--good recruiter, team motivator, and media man....BUT I've always questioned Mack's technical football prowness. Doesn't matter though. Long as he's good at other stuff, if the can recruit well and hire capable assistants, he's good to go. Good players make good coaches.

ouleaf
11/27/2009, 03:33 PM
That would be pretty funny if Mack pulled a Pat Riley and took on an Official Role and then stepped back in to coach only when he realized the team was good again.