PDA

View Full Version : Tackling

KantoSooner
11/25/2009, 11:37 AM
Here goes an honest question. Please note: I am not criticizing anyone. I love our team and enjoyed watching our defense play this year. I wrap myself in the flag as I wear my OU footie pajamas and watch the game. I do this while eating apple pie made by my sainted mom.

Is there a fundamental problem with our tackling? I feel like there is a lot of arm-tackling going on and that this is generating a lot of yards after first contact for the opposing offenses.

Comments from the X's and O's contributors, please.

Sooner13
11/25/2009, 11:47 AM
No doubt the tackling was very poor against Tech, but I think it's been fairly solid the rest of the season. Our linebackers must be in better position Sat. against aggie or they may run all over us.

badger
11/25/2009, 11:56 AM
I have seen a lot of bumping as opposed to tackling this season, but this seems to be a problem with all college teams, not just ours.

I think it is easier for a player to shoulder pad an opponent out of bounds than to wrap your arms around and give 'em a hug.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
11/25/2009, 12:31 PM
I thought that for the most part this is one of the better tackling teams OU has had in the last few years

madillsoonerfan5353
11/25/2009, 01:33 PM
No doubt the tackling was very poor against Tech, but I think it's been fairly solid the rest of the season. Our linebackers must be in better position Sat. against aggie or they may run all over us.

I agree the D needs to take better angles and wrap up this weekend or this game could slip away also! With the pokes you also have a qb you have to keep an eye on! Tech slashing and gashing us with run has got me worried about Saturday?

VA Sooner
11/25/2009, 01:50 PM
Trend in college is to bump, trip, slide, push, etc. and not wrap up.

This is why Gary Patterson's Defense is lethal... boys are taught to wrap up and that too many times, the ball-carrier/catcher will slip a tackle and run for a few yards more.

Wrap-up boys... take the opponent to the turf and your body slamming down on top of him for emphasis.

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/25/2009, 01:52 PM
I think we've been a great tackling team all season(minus sand aggie). The only ones I've noticed consistently arm tackling have been Clayton and Lewis.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/25/2009, 02:05 PM
I think we've been a great tackling team all season(minus sand aggie). The only ones I've noticed consistently arm tackling have been Clayton and Lewis.

I agree and Lewis seemed to be reading and attacking the wrong gaps over and over again against Tech! I think that overall this year the D has done a good job for the most part? If we and I say we that want BV to move on this will hopefully be the year?

Leroy Lizard
11/25/2009, 02:18 PM
When you're getting beat and are frustrated, you probably let the fundamentals slip. I don't think the Tech game is indicative of much.

Widescreen
11/25/2009, 03:24 PM
My only problem with the tackling this year has been at the LOS. It seems like we meet the ball-carrier at the LOS and then, rather than dragging the guy to the ground, we get pushed back 2 or 3 yards. It's happened a lot for some reason.

wishbonesooner
11/25/2009, 03:48 PM
Go to a few high school games, tackling is not being taught at that level.