PDA

View Full Version : My MP3 Collection...

Crucifax Autumn
11/25/2009, 04:05 AM
...Just hit 37,000 songs tonight.

I still have most of my physical CD collection left to rip and that's hundreds of CDs so between that and my "sources" I'm gonna be growing a lot more.

What's even more impressive (to me at least) is that virtually none of it is "popular music". My ultimate goal, which is probably half to 3 quarters done, is to have at least one full album of quality music from every nation on Earth.

Speaking of which, I probably have somewhere in the area of 200 songs that are "stand-alone". The rest of my collection is full CDs...Generally if the whole album isn't good, I don't want any of it.

Dunno why I posted other than pride, but I really am proud of my collection. And not one Nickelback song in the bunch! :P

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2009, 04:11 AM
Sadly, I have 3 Nickelback songs but no Hinder!

Crucifax Autumn
11/25/2009, 04:12 AM
I can barely tell the difference between the two.

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2009, 04:17 AM
I remember the first time I heard "How You Remind Me." It was in 2001 and I was in a Baylor van on my way to a debate tournament at UT-Dallas. I thought it was the greatest thing I'd ever heard.

The first time I heard that Hinder hit about the phone call with the guy's ex g/f with his current g/f in the other room, whatever its called, I wanted to bash my radio with a baseball bat. That's how I tell the difference. :D

Crucifax Autumn
11/25/2009, 04:33 AM
Major spek there bro, but they both suck bevo testicles.

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2009, 04:37 AM
Major spek there bro, but they both suck bevo testicles.

Yeah, I agree. My taste in music is admittedly pretty bad.

My entire collection used to be around 1,500 songs, but I realized I didn't listen to most of them, so I deleted it down to 500. I'm at about 600 right now.

Crucifax Autumn
11/25/2009, 05:15 AM
I have VERY particular tastes. I obviously lean in the prog/technical direction with a fair amount of diversity otherwise.

As for your spek question about whether my tags are accurate...I'd say maybe 90% are correct. I also try to keep VERY stringent naming conventions so it's easier to see if I accidentally double up.

I also have it WAY organized. My music folder is divided into bands/albums/songs. I always go through when I get new stuff and make sure it follows my previously established format. Anything I have is also always cross-referenced with anything I find to get the highest sound quality.

I'm a picky bastard all-around.

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2009, 05:20 AM
Yeah, I'd love for my music folder to be organized but it's totally screwed up. I bought a program a few years ago that was supposed to automatically fix ID tags but it really just made the situation worse.

I wish there was a program, sort of like midomi for the iPhone, that actually listens to a clip of the song to determine the ID tag information. It'd really make things a lot easier.

My digital movie/tv show collection was really screwed up until I got my Mac. I have everything on that front VERY organized now with a consistent naming convention so Plex can scrap the movie and tv information. It's fantastic...I'll get the music collection worked out some day I hope!

Crucifax Autumn
11/25/2009, 05:58 AM
The biggest problem with ID tags is the idiots that make the MP3 to begin with...You know...the morons that think Kingdom Come is Zep or the tards that don't know the difference between Queensryche and Creed.

In the end, no matter what you are using,m it requires some work on your part to keep it straight.

Downloading full albums actually makes it easier, even if you don't want to keep the full album. If you don't mind the concept of ripping off the artists or the FBI coming knocking, and don't want to advertise your IP to the RIAA through torrent clients, I suggest searcjing for blogger sites something like entering in Google: Blogger Rapidshare *Band Name* and exploring from there. You can also replace band name with style eg. *progressive metal* or *power pop* and get sites that specialize in what you like. Just be aware that this is generally illegal and it is in your, and the band's, best interest to buy it if you like it.

Katz.cd is a great place too, but it's kinda use at your own risk as far as safety of the sites it directs you to. Many are just forums like this one, but occasionally you get a POS trying to hit you with adware.

49r
11/25/2009, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I'd love for my music folder to be organized but it's totally screwed up. I bought a program a few years ago that was supposed to automatically fix ID tags but it really just made the situation worse.

I wish there was a program, sort of like midomi for the iPhone, that actually listens to a clip of the song to determine the ID tag information. It'd really make things a lot easier.

My digital movie/tv show collection was really screwed up until I got my Mac. I have everything on that front VERY organized now with a consistent naming convention so Plex can scrap the movie and tv information. It's fantastic...I'll get the music collection worked out some day I hope!

Picard Tagger (http://musicbrainz.org/doc/PicardTagger) does exactly that. It "listens" to songs and matches them with metadata in its database.

YWIA.

yermom
11/25/2009, 11:08 AM
ooh.

my crap is pretty disorganized. i used to like iTunes for ripping CDs, but it doesn't really play nice at times

i think i have like 6,000 songs, maybe more. the bulk of them now are from ripped CDs, but a lot of them are one-offs from back in the days of Napster and passing around zip disks in the late 90's.

i still have some mp2s ;)