PDA

View Full Version : Is Stoops making excuses, or keeping it real?

adoniijahsooner
11/24/2009, 07:14 PM
I am asking this question based off of the following qoutes.

"You know, for 11 seasons . . . all but three of 'em, I think eight other seasons, we're all in the last game with an opportunity to play for the Big 12 championship," Stoops said. "So this is different. But there's been a lot of unusual circumstances around this year."

The Sooners conclude their regular season on Saturday when they host No. 11-ranked Oklahoma State. Stoops said the season has been "frustrating" but said he's not inclined to panic.

"I'm not a knee-jerk guy. And I'm not gonna overreact to it," he said. "In the end, I understand what we've had to deal with the whole year, and to think that with the strength of schedule, along with all the different players that we've played without, to think it's just gonna be the same, it's just not realistic."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091124_92_0_NORMAN670859

JLEW1818
11/24/2009, 07:34 PM
keeping it real!

SoonerBacker
11/24/2009, 07:39 PM
Kind of hard to argue with what he said. I'd have to say he's keeping it real!

OUHOMER
11/24/2009, 07:40 PM
Kind of hard to argue with what he said. I'd have to say he's keeping it real!

^ this

stoops the eternal pimp
11/24/2009, 07:44 PM
kizzle it rizzle

http://www.sockmoose.com/0308/keepin%20it%20real.jpg

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2009, 07:47 PM
I don't see anything that isn't true. Every season requires a concluding evaluation from all angles and I am confident that will happen.

setem
11/24/2009, 07:50 PM
WU-TANG!

hgarmorer
11/24/2009, 07:51 PM
"WHEN KEEPING IT REAL GOES WRONG"

Just kidding. Seriously though, he has to keep it real. He's never made excuses or whined about things in the past. Why would he start now? There have been some unusual things happen this year and next year, I look forward to our team climbing the ranks and surprising the hell out of a lot of teams like earlier this decade

Jello Biafra
11/24/2009, 08:22 PM
anyone wonder why there were no questions today about the possible Nd vacancy?

soonervegas
11/24/2009, 08:27 PM
That is very factual. The question the coaching staff needs to ask themselves is will the current set up lead to MORE than just title game appearances going forward? I have no doubt this staff has more Big 12 and BCS Title game appearances in them, but do they have the steup to get over the BIG hump? I think that is where each of us as fans differ.

MamaMia
11/24/2009, 08:50 PM
Hes keeping it real. That being said, I am disappointed that we were not able to overcome our problems in a less embarrassing way. The product we put out on the field was not Sooner Caliber enough to feed the monster. Hopefully next year that will change. I have faith. :)

TUSooner
11/24/2009, 08:50 PM
Real. And its good.

As long as a coach keeps it real, there's great hope. When they stop (like Leslie Edwin Miles?) trouble's a brewin"

Collier11
11/24/2009, 09:13 PM
What he is saying is that sometimes things happen out of your control that affect how good or bad you are. He is saying that anyone that knows how many starters, really good starters we have lost to injury this year and still expects to win 10 or 11 games, youre probably not being very honest without yourself.

Collier11
11/24/2009, 09:16 PM
I think he is also saying for anyone who is doubting this staff and thinking that all of the sudden they cant coach and we arent gonna win big after this year, look at their track record, it is overwhelmingly really good

Crucifax Autumn
11/24/2009, 10:36 PM
I think he's trying to let us all know that that last Star Trek movie was pretty good stuff.

Okie35
11/24/2009, 10:54 PM
He's being real there's nothing you can do really under unfortunate circumstances like the ones that happened throughout the year.

adoniijahsooner
11/25/2009, 01:28 AM
I think he's trying to let us all know that that last Star Trek movie was pretty good stuff.

I didnt like the fact that Spock was hitting the Sister. From the previews I thought James T. Kirk was going to be pushing up on that. I'm against mixed species :D

adoniijahsooner
11/25/2009, 01:35 AM
I agree we were not going to be National Champs with Sam and Gresh out, But injuries don't correlate to personal fouls after 15 yards gains, numerous holding penalties, and receivers dropping passes that hit you right in the hands.

I think even the most critical expected a 9-3 or 8-4 season after the injuries.

MamaMia
11/25/2009, 02:23 AM
Real. And its good.

As long as a coach keeps it real, there's great hope. When they stop (like Leslie Edwin Miles?) trouble's a brewin"...or Gibbs, who asked us to pray for a win, like God loved us more. That was freaky. :D

Soonerborn03
11/25/2009, 02:31 AM
I agree we were not going to be National Champs with Sam and Gresh out, But injuries don't correlate to personal fouls after 15 yards gains, numerous holding penalties, and receivers dropping passes that hit you right in the hands.
This.

Crucifax Autumn
11/25/2009, 05:05 AM
I didnt like the fact that Spock was hitting the Sister. From the previews I thought James T. Kirk was going to be pushing up on that. I'm against mixed species :D

They ran a train later.

wishbonesooner
11/25/2009, 07:28 AM
He's telling it like it is. I think reality has hit home, still, injury and inexperience don't excuse the lack of discipline and focus this team has showed this year.of By the 10th game of the year, you cant write off the false starts and missed assignments as easily as you could at the start. Bob has major work to get done.

SoonerBacker
11/25/2009, 08:00 AM
He's telling it like it is. I think reality has hit home, still, injury and inexperience don't excuse the lack of discipline and focus this team has showed this year.of By the 10th game of the year, you cant write off the false starts and missed assignments as easily as you could at the start. Bob has major work to get done.

I might agree on the flase starts if not for the fact that the O-line has had how many different starting combinations throughout the year? It seems as though every game, someone else has gone down with an injury. Ask any coach and they will tell you that an O-line has to develop a chemistry as they work together. When you are mixing things up as much as they have had to do this season due to injuries, I think you might still be having problems with false starts at this point in the season.

Is it frustrating? Definately! But it is a possible result of the number of O-line injuries.

Peeb
11/25/2009, 08:25 AM
xxxx

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2009, 09:27 AM
Well.. if Mack had used those exact words... the wailing and gnashing of tooth on here exclaiming, "SEE!!!! Texcuses, Texcuses." would be universal in nature.

tanjou
11/25/2009, 09:43 AM
It's difficult to get a hold on what any coach thinks. They usually do not mention, "Yeah, I think this season is telling, I may fire a few people in January."

So it's hard to tell if he actually believes what he's saying, or simply saying the right thing but believes changes need to be made.

Stoops' feelings on this season and what, if anything, he thinks could have been done to prevent it and what he thinks can be done, if anything, to prevent in the future will become clear by his actions in the off-season.

For those of you reading that thinking "Well crap, same old ****," don't get too worried. But at the same time don't get too excited.

SoonerBacker
11/25/2009, 09:45 AM
Well.. if Mack had used those exact words... the wailing and gnashing of tooth on here exclaiming, "SEE!!!! Texcuses, Texcuses." would be universal in nature.

Mack didn't use those sorts of words when he was talking about INJURIES! He made his f'in texcuses when Chrissy Simms would throw an interception or when trying to justify having Chrissy take a knee at midfield at the end of the first half after the SOONERS had just scored a TD/2 point conversion to take all momentum away from his Whorns.

tanjou
11/25/2009, 09:47 AM
But injuries don't correlate to personal fouls after 15 yards gains, numerous holding penalties, and receivers dropping passes that hit you right in the hands.
This is what we should all be most concerned about. Is the season going to be forgiven in Stoops' mind because of the injuries, or will he not accept any excuses?

Previous behavior and performance indicates for the former, but we all hope for the latter.

SoonerBacker
11/25/2009, 09:59 AM
This is what we should all be most concerned about. Is the season going to be forgiven in Stoops' mind because of the injuries, or will he not accept any excuses?

Previous behavior and performance indicates for the former, but we all hope for the latter.

Wow! For a minute I thought Lid had posted again.

I agree that the personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct penalities are a problem. Then again, could it be that some of those players are feeling some of the same frustrations that we, as fans are feeling? Sit back on your couch and say that it's "unexcusable" and shows a "lack of discipline." I agree to a point. But it's not as though Stoops pats them on the back as they walk off the field and tells them it will be ok. He gets in their face and let's 'em have it. What do you want him to do? Bench their a$$? If so, who would he put on the field? The injuries have already forced him to putting players on the field that wouldn't normaly be playing this year.

I'd also bet that given the level of frustration I see on this board, a lot of you would probably find yourselves picking up some of those "stupid fristration penalties" if you were on that field. And anyone who is arguing that injuries don't correlate to "numerous holding penalties" just isn't thinking straight. Every time we have to throw an new O-line together due to injuries, it affects the blocking schemes and often results in holding penalties.

SoonerAtKU
11/25/2009, 10:02 AM
But injuries don't correlate to personal fouls after 15 yards gains, numerous holding penalties, and receivers dropping passes that hit you right in the hands.

This is so very wrong. What happens when you take a proven player out and then throw in a freshman or someone who hasn't seen any significant PT before? Not to mention he hasn't been getting reps in practice because of the player in front of him. Then, after those players don't perform as well as the vets, the remaining vets then have to overextend to compensate, putting them outside of their ability/position.

There's no reason Ryan Broyles should have the number of catches, TDs, etc. that he has this season. He's great, and a great weapon, but his catches should be split between 2 or 3 other WRs and Gresham. Do you think he knows he's the go-to guy because the other WRs have a case of skillet hands? He's not a moron.

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2009, 10:10 AM
I was surprised Stoops said anything at all on the subject right now. It shows he is acknowledging the season is almost over, but the points he made are a broad brush of things that are obvious to everyone. He can't go into details because he still has a team to coach and a season to finish. I'm going to take it as a signal that there will be a thorough evaluation of the program until proven otherwise.

westbrooke
11/25/2009, 10:19 AM
Let's not get too carried away in charging that Stoops is chalking up every problem we've had to injuries. I agree that injuries have had an impact on the discipline penalties, and I also agree that even without the injuries we'd still be having some problems with this (whether we're winning more games or not).

But to the point of the original post, I don't think you can infer Stoops is using the injuries as a blanket excuse. His language is pretty reserved, actually. All he said is that there have been "unusual circumstances" (true) and that it's "not realistic" to believe this team could replicate past years' results under those circumstances (despite the protests of some of the more extreme posters on this board, also true). Keeping it real.

wishbonesooner
11/25/2009, 10:54 AM
You could make the case that Bob is at a crossroad in his career at OU. How he handles all this and what, if anything, changes in the offseason will be interesting. My gut tells me he makes no changes in his staff.

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/25/2009, 11:01 AM
Someone HIRE KW and Venables???

Johnny Utah
11/25/2009, 12:20 PM
I was surprised Stoops said anything at all on the subject right now. It shows he is acknowledging the season is almost over, but the points he made are a broad brush of things that are obvious to everyone. He can't go into details because he still has a team to coach and a season to finish.

^^^this^^^

SoonerMavrick25
11/25/2009, 12:29 PM
kizzle it rizzle

http://www.sockmoose.com/0308/keepin%20it%20real.jpg

Pick made me spit out my drink.... CLASSIC..

And yeah he is keeping it real... but not as real as the "b-boy" stance and Ice cream on a stick. or is that a shovel... Would be cooler if it was ice cream.

VA Sooner
11/25/2009, 01:51 PM
Nightmare season cursed by the Football Gods.

Beat the Pokes, win the bowl game and call it a season.

Get healthy for next year, recruit hard and make them compete for positions, and win the Big 12 next year.

Curly Bill
11/25/2009, 02:01 PM
You could make the case that Bob is at a crossroad in his career at OU. How he handles all this and what, if anything, changes in the offseason will be interesting. My gut tells me he makes no changes in his staff.

Yup, I'm in agreement.

Collier11
11/25/2009, 02:14 PM
I wouldnt call this a crossroads, now if we go 8-4 next year and continue to struggle on the O-line or something like that, I would def call that a crossroads. One bad year where you are decimated by really big injuries is not yet a crossroads

Curly Bill
11/25/2009, 02:20 PM
One bad year where you are decimated by really big injuries is not yet a crossroads

He gets a pass this year because of the injuries, but he needs to point the car down the right path and get things headed back in the right direction.

Collier11
11/25/2009, 02:36 PM
I agree, we agree, holy sh*t!

Curly Bill
11/25/2009, 02:38 PM
I agree, we agree, holy sh*t!

You're still a no good sunshine pumper! :P

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2009, 02:42 PM
You're still a no good sunshine pumper! :P

Now we agree on something. ;)

Curly Bill
11/25/2009, 02:42 PM
OK, this is getting crazy! People, quit agreeing with me!!! :mad:

:D

madillsoonerfan5353
11/25/2009, 02:48 PM
OK, this is getting crazy! People, quit agreeing with me!!! :mad:

:D

I agree with yOU most of the time just like now? :D

madillsoonerfan5353
11/25/2009, 02:49 PM

^^^^ THIS

Collier11
11/25/2009, 02:49 PM
If you look up the def of a sunshine pumper, I am far from it. I am what they call a realist who gives Stoops the benefit of doubt that he has earned, not a blank check but def the benefit of doubt.

When Stoops was hired, if you were told that we would win 6 conf titles and play for 4 natl titles in his first 11 years, all of you woulda jizzed your pants right there. :D

Collier11
11/25/2009, 02:51 PM
Instead of realist I would say im a glass half full while you are a glass completely empty, Curly :D

Curly Bill
11/25/2009, 02:52 PM
When Stoops was hired, if you were told that we would win 6 conf titles and play for 4 natl titles in his first 11 years, all of you woulda jizzed your pants right there. :D

Just imagine what he could have done with good assistants! ;) :D

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2009, 02:53 PM
Just imagine what he could have done with good assistants! ;) :D

I would have run out of pants.

Collier11
11/25/2009, 02:56 PM
I hate those assistants who have Top 10-15 defenses, win the Broyles awards, lead our offenses to national scoring records, etc, etc... Dang the luck :D

Curly Bill
11/25/2009, 03:08 PM
I hate those assistants who have Top 10-15 defenses, win the Broyles awards, lead our offenses to national scoring records, etc, etc... Dang the luck :D

Let me clarify for you: top 10-15 defenses while having top 5-10 talent. :P

...and let's not kid ourselves: Sam, JG and a big ol offensive line had more to do with that scoring title than Mr Big 10 did.

adoniijahsooner
11/25/2009, 03:26 PM
Let me clarify for you: top 10-15 defenses while having top 5-10 talent. :P

...and let's not kid ourselves Sam, JG and a big ol offensive line had more to do with that scoring title than Mr Big 10 did.

Yep, because if it was the genius of the coaches then we would be a little better this year. I remember when denver would lose a rb, and the next one they plugged in would rush for a 1000 yards. I watched the KW interview and that guy was sounding so confused it's made my head spin. Saying that the strength of the team changed when sam went down, so now they have to pass 60% of the time. What? A heisman winning qb and AA TE get injured and you need to pass more? That seems backwards to me, but he is a Broyles Award winner so what do I know?

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/09-10/video/m-footbl/11nov/20091124_wilson_presser-1.wmv&school=okla&

wishbonesooner
11/25/2009, 03:47 PM
I've wondered if our staff is great when they have AA players all over the field. When they don't, maybe not so great. Imagine if Leach and Mangino and Spurrier Jr, and Mike had stayed.

Curly Bill
11/25/2009, 03:50 PM
I've wondered if our staff is great when they have AA players all over the field. When they don't, maybe not so great. Imagine if Leach and Mangino and Spurrier Jr, and Mike had stayed.

We'd have at least one more NC, maybe two.

cvsooner
11/25/2009, 04:52 PM
I watched the KW interview and that guy was sounding so confused it's made my head spin. Saying that the strength of the team changed when sam went down, so now they have to pass 60% of the time. What? A heisman winning qb and AA TE get injured and you need to pass more? That seems backwards to me, but he is a Broyles Award winner so what do I know?

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/09-10/video/m-footbl/11nov/20091124_wilson_presser-1.wmv&school=okla&

I think you misunderstand. What I got out of it was the loss of Gresham was the big factor, in that the double tight end set and a fullback ahead of two 1,000 yard running backs meant we were planning to be more of a power-running team...which would be due to the lack of experience and depth on the offensive line and a shaky receiver corps. Teams that tried to fill the box would get trashed by Bradford's accuracy. Plus defenses would have to account for Gresham at all times. Imagine a defensive coordinator who has to worry about Gresham, Murray and Broyles all on the field at the same time. Man...

All that went out the window when Gresham was lost, and Eldridge had to shift over to play center/guard.

It would have been a completely different season otherwise. Losing Sam on top of that meant now your RS frosh QB who isn't nearly as accurate as Bradford (but who is?) is throwing the ball behind an inexperienced line to guys who, for whatever reasons, haven't exactly been money when it comes to receptions. And, considering all that, if Patrick O'Hara had emerged back around Sept. 1, we might still be lamenting only one loss.

Considering all the injuries, it's remarkable we haven't lost more. The biggest problem with this season is it's just been very disappointing to have had such high expectations and almost all your best toys on offense are broken and at the repair shop.

Jdog
11/25/2009, 09:49 PM
pay a man enough money and he becomes realllllllllll.

11/25/2009, 10:54 PM
ughhhh....

pay isn't the issue. he's a great coach. he's as good as any in the country. yes, he is being "real" by saying we aren't going to win the damned thing every year.

11/25/2009, 10:59 PM
and really... keep it "real" yourself by realizing him winning it all every year is not realistic.

Winning it all is very uncommon, at least.

He has put us in position to win it all so many times we have nothing but respect to give him. Yes, we've lost to unlikely opponents, but that's just the sort of crap that is going to happen.

I'd say USC was our most unlikely loss... it was ugly. Just take it and move on. That's why they call it a game.

Collier11
11/25/2009, 11:38 PM
If it was that easy then the most all time natl titles by one school would be more than 8 in over 100 years of playing

11/26/2009, 07:33 PM
Good point.

It is easy for a team to be in position to win the national championship. I stand corrected.