PDA

View Full Version : Clausen punched by irate fan

sendbaht
11/24/2009, 09:26 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4684326

Now this is over the top and very cold!!!!!!

Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen was punched in the face by an irate fan outside a South Bend restaurant early Sunday morning and has a swollen eye, a person briefed on the incident said on Monday.

That person said Clausen was "sucker-punched" by a fan as he left an establishment after having dinner with his parents.

The fan allegedly said something to Clausen and/or a female acquaintance.

A South Bend police spokesman said that no police reports were filed over the weekend involving Clausen, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The newspaper also reported that the name of the bar was CJ's and that a bartender at the establishment said that Clausen had been there with family members and other Irish upperclassmen after Notre Dame's loss to Connecticut on Senior Day.

The source told ESPN.com that the injury is not expected to keep Clausen from playing this weekend against Stanford.

SGT Park3R
11/24/2009, 09:29 AM
Wow. I remember Clausen's stat line pretty good for that game.

Boomer.....
11/24/2009, 09:34 AM
As much as I don't like him, that is way over the top. Charges should be filed.

rawlingsHOH
11/24/2009, 09:41 AM
That oughta do wonders for recruiting!

badger
11/24/2009, 09:45 AM
Notre Dame hate aside, poor Jimmy. He had the expectations of winning more championships at ND like he did back in high school and being the Heisman contender this season. As it turned out, none of that happened, and while irate fans can punch and blame him, the blame goes to the walrus.

TUSooner
11/24/2009, 09:49 AM
****charges should be filed.

They need to get the dip**** who did that and make an example of his stupidity. They ought to let the rest of the team have him alone for 20 minutes. I "hate" Notre Dame, but it's not real hate. Anybody that would sucker punch a player is seriously effed up.

King Barry's Back
11/24/2009, 09:58 AM
Notre Dame hate aside, poor Jimmy. He had the expectations of winning more championships at ND like he did back in high school and being the Heisman contender this season. As it turned out, none of that happened, and while irate fans can punch and blame him, the blame goes to the walrus.

Blame goes higher than the walrus.

Notre Dame like all football schools is subject to certain conditions. But, ND's powers that be think that ND is special, that their "program" is so powerful that they can do self-limiting things because "We are Notre Dame."

Same process that OU went through after Switzer. Same thing that Nebraska is still going through.

They are going to have to stop doing things the "Notre Dame way" and start doing thing the way that will them football games.

Or, just accept that they are going to have some 10-win seasons, and they're going to have some 6 win seasons.

TXBOOMER
11/24/2009, 10:00 AM
Let's not make judgement until we hear both sides of the story. :)

OUDoc
11/24/2009, 10:12 AM
Clausen should punch Weis.

badger
11/24/2009, 10:23 AM
Weis sure relied a lot on Clausen to succeed, replacing a QB right away and throwing a true froshie out there to get sacked a lot.

Brady Quinn got him his fat contract extension, complete with golden parachute buyout clause. Weis depending on Clausen to lead to Quinn-like BCS season results that got Weis his fat contract will be what causes Weis to lose it.

I think that private schools can still succeed while maintaining higher academic standards and character standards that ND demands... I just don't see them doing that under Weis.

pac10SUX
11/24/2009, 10:53 AM
With fans like that, they'll have to change their name to the Fighting Aggies? ;)

Veritas
11/24/2009, 11:26 AM
You stay classy, Notre Dame fans.

I feel damn bad for that kid.

TUSooner
11/24/2009, 11:48 AM
Clausen should punch Weis.

WINNER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Frozen Sooner
11/24/2009, 11:58 AM
Oh, c'mon. Like you can't see that nozzle's face and NOT want to punch him.

Seriously, that's lame.

NormanPride
11/24/2009, 12:17 PM
Sure it was a fan? Not just some random dude that thought he needed a good punch?

I hope recruits pay a lot of attention to this. ND fans suck and are crazy.

TXBOOMER
11/24/2009, 12:21 PM
Oh, c'mon. Like you can't see that nozzle's face and NOT want to punch him.

Seriously, that's lame.

Since the dude didn't get hurt and I don't know the whole story I admit I think it is funny, he is the cockiest I've ever seen. I'm surprised whoever did it didn't get a beatdown.

OUmillenium
11/24/2009, 12:25 PM
That's totally unacceptable and embarassing behavior from a "fan".

I would never punch Landry for how he played football or for what the team's record was/is.

Denton_Sooner
11/24/2009, 12:34 PM
Apparently, during the scuffle Clausen threw two punches at his assailant. The first was too high, and the second was intercepted...

Frozen Sooner
11/24/2009, 12:36 PM
Apparently, during the scuffle Clausen threw two punches at his assailant. The first was too high, and the second was intercepted...

:D

SoonerLB
11/24/2009, 12:59 PM
Nozzle face, BWAAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!
"The first was too high, and the second was intercepted...",
even more BWAAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!

Hate to laugh, but after all, we're talkin' Jimmy Clausen and Notre Dame, which makes this entire incident PRICELESS!!!

Collier11
11/24/2009, 01:05 PM
Shows how knowledgeable their fans are, Clausen is one of a few guys on that team who is playing well, he has repeatedly brought that team back from deficits only to have the D blow a lead

Blues1
11/24/2009, 01:12 PM
ND came VERY Close to a BIG Winning Season -- I never saw so Many Late games on the Line in the *last minute* this year as I saw with ND in 2009 -

To tell the Truth I feel Sorry for Charlie Weis - I hate ND, But when I saw those tears in CW eye's on the last ND home game I truly believe he Loves his players and any coach that cares that much is OK by me.....

Give The Man one more year.....jmho...!

TUSooner
11/24/2009, 01:13 PM
Shows how knowledgeable their fans are, Clausen is one of a few guys on that team who is playing well, he has repeatedly brought that team back from deficits only to have the D blow a lead

Yeahbut... some of those defensive guys are really big!

Crucifax Autumn
11/24/2009, 01:19 PM
And I thought some of our fans were morons...

SoonerLB
11/24/2009, 01:26 PM
ND came VERY Close to a BIG Winning Season -- I never saw so Many Late games on the Line in the *last minute* this year as I saw with ND in 2009 -

To tell the Truth I feel Sorry for Charlie Weis - I hate ND, But when I saw those tears in CW eye's on the last ND home game I truly believe he Loves his players and any coach that cares that much is OK by me.....

I'm with you on this one. Never have understood why so many people hate CW, other than the fact that he coaches at ND. The whole thing, in my opinion, comes down to diabolical wavering between sanctity and winning at all costs. And in the case of Notre Dame, the costs are mounting up!

TXBOOMER
11/24/2009, 01:39 PM

It was actually three punches the third was intercepted by a passer by.:D

ouduckhunter
11/24/2009, 01:41 PM
Where is LeGarrette Blount when you need him??? :eek:

TUSooner
11/24/2009, 02:06 PM

Yep. It's a cruel world, especially if you listen to us internet keyboard jockeys. I say I "hate" ND and "hate" LSU, but that's not real hate. I sure don't want to see their team die in a plane crash. It's just sports talk -- or it should be.
When we start really hating people just because of where they happen to play or work or go to school, we're straying into danger. We forget that we are usually talking about kids, 18-20 years old, or about guys trying to make a living and usually doing the best they can. So it's good to see a post like Blues1's to lend some perspective to the whole college football scene. Still, it's a tough business: When you win, you get adulation that's just as irrational as the hate you get when you lose. So anybody in the arena needs to be pretty tough-minded.

Why want Weis fired? Good question. I suppose it would be a tangible sign of ND's continuing failure. But he does seem like a guy who genuinely cares about his players. And maybe ND will fail even better if he stays! :rolleyes: :D Maybe I don't really care.