PDA

View Full Version : 04's Attempt: OU vs. Virginia Commonwealth Recap

Sooner04
11/23/2009, 06:43 PM
The Stuart Siegel Center in Richmond, Virginia, is a testament to everything the Lloyd Noble Center is not. Parking is non-existant. Intimacy is prevalent and acoustics is a polite way of saying, “Damn! It’s loud in here.” As I drove down Broad Street the first seeds of worry began to grow in my brain. From every direction poured people. Gobs of people. Mobs of people dressed in yellow and black. Had they worn gray I’d sworn I was looking at the Army of Northern Virginia. Once inside the yells were not of the rebel variety, but they pierced me just the same. Their call was a simple one, “Where is Capel? [clap] [clap] [clap-clap-clap]

Now the seeds of worry turned into giant oaks of concern. I put on an the aura of non-chalance for my wife (kind of like the one Stoops puts on when his team is getting its butt handed back to them), but the fingernail-massacre going on in front of her told her everything she needed to know: this was a trap.

If the citizens of Richmond had shown this much moxie in the face of superiority as the Civil War wound down the conflict may have lasted a few more years. This was no Appomattox Courthouse; this was Fredericksburg! Our defense was subjected to more deep artillery than the defenders of Fort Sumter. VCU’s got a guy with a wingspan as wide as Manute Bol is tall. Did you know he could shoot threes? Me neither! Here’s comes some clown they just signed up from Virginia Commonwealth-Staunton’s campus. He can shoot too? You bet.

Over and over this played out. Our defense was so rattled by the first TV timeout that any hope of cohesion was lost. But we hung around, and I’ve seen enough double-digit leads evaporate to know that we still had a decent chance. I put on my professor’s cap and explained to my wife that being down by 10 at the end of the first half wasn’t all bad. They’ve shot their wad, I said. They’ve played the best ball they could possibly play. They should be killing us, mauling us! We should look like that lady who got her limbs torn off by that chimp, I said. But we’re only down 10! Look for us to come out in the second half and roll these clowns.

Two minutes into the second half, and about two seconds after the Rams bumped the lead back up to 14, my wife decided to twist the knife in my side.

Mrs. 04: What say you now, oh wise one who sees all?

04: My dear, we’re screwed.

I left the Siegel Center with fire in my eyes, bile in my esophagus and a smile on my face. Why the smile? Because we’re young, we’re inexperienced and we have much to learn. It was said many times after that first game that this team will both electrify us and drive us nuts, sometimes in the same week, sometimes in the same game, sometimes in the same possession. If I were coaching I’d have this game tape heaved from the plane somewhere above the Blue Ridge Mountains, but we’ve got Jeff Capel manning this ship, and he’ll have much ammunition to pepper his troops with in the practices leading up to our trip north to Alaska.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:

1st – 18 [manatee droppings]
2nd – 16 [dysentery]
3rd – 17 [scurvy]
4th – 18 [yellow mother custard]

LEADING SCORERS:
19 – Tony Crocker
15 – Tiny Gallon
11 – Steven Pledger
10 – Tommy Mason-Griffin

LEADING REBOUNDERS:
11 – Tiny Gallon
7 – Tommy Mason-Griffin (<------ What?)
6 – Tony Crocker
5 – Ryan Wright

PLUSES:
1. Tony Crocker – The Crock Pot was the only reason the Ram Student Section didn’t rush the floor at halftime. God only knows what the score would’ve been if Tony hadn’t tried his best to take the game over. 13 hard-earned points in the first half and 19 for the game, otherwise we’re on the receiving end of an unholy thumping.

2. Tiny Gallon – Dude was completely shell-shocked early on, but he manned up and played well for us later in the game. His defense? Like Lee after Pickett’s Charge…..no comment.

MINUSES:
1. Defense – At the age of 5, Helen Keller was better at defensive communication than these guys are. I won’t harp on it because college basketball isn’t a set of one-game must haves. You get your butt kicked, you lick your wounds and you fight another day. I doubt we’ll ever see defense again from this group as bad as what we saw Saturday. They must communicate better. It’s been said that defense travels, and I think that’s true. But these guys let the world crashing down around them on offense affect how they played defense. Big mistake.

2. Outside shooting – Were we so freaked out by Garry Shandling, I mean Larry Sanders, that we decided we’d live and die by the outside shot? I sure hope not. They were open, and I guess that’s a plus, but it was the Sally Struthers Brick-a-Thon for the most part. Cash for Clangers would’ve made us all rich men.

3. The Contract – VCU, the squirmy devils! Putting this return clause in Capel’s original contract was a stroke of brilliance. I’m not sure a soul dressed in crimson wanted any part of this game, and it showed. Chalk it up to experience, but pass the white out.

It was a maddening game for sure. We’d go from down 15 to down eight to down 15 and back again. We could never get that stop to get us a little over the hump. We could never hit the big shot to make them sweat. It’s not a season killer. Hell, we may be all dancing to “Feels so Good” if we roll through the West Klondike and bring home the Great Alaska Shootout. I doubt we’re that good, but I know we’re nowhere near as bad as we were Saturday night.

Let VCU have their fun. They wanted this game so much, and they were busting at the seams before tip-off. That’s fine, good for them. We’ll be in the NCAAs come March and they’ll be at home watching it on TV. Perspective is always key in the down times, and one must always remind his or her self that things could always be worse.

Remember, our point guard may have a mustache, but his name isn’t Landry Jones.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/KingpinPadre/P1010726-1-1.jpg
Here I am in a heated debate with Thomas Jefferson of Virginia, who made the ludicrous claim that Ralph Sampson was a better collegiate player than Wayman Tisdale. Much like his views on the powers of the states, he found himself on the wrong side of the issue here as well.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/KingpinPadre/P1010618-1-1.jpg
Honest Abe of Illinois wanted to know how in the world our '88 team lost to Kansas in the finals. I countered with wondering how in the wide world his '89 Flying Illini lost to Michigan in the national semifinals. Neither of us had an answer, and neither of us is over the outcome of either game.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/KingpinPadre/P1010822-1-1.jpg
And here I am in Richmond, striking a pose very similar to the one General George Armstrong Custer struck before he rode his horse into Medicine Tail Coulee.

Thank you for your time.

bri
11/23/2009, 06:50 PM
Jeez, I think McCasland is bigger than their gym. And I knew this was a trap of epic proportions all along as well.

OSUAggie
11/23/2009, 07:43 PM
Looks like the Broken Arrow Tigers packed the place.

That was a no-win situation anyway for Capel and Co. OSU has lost that game hundreds of times. Probably do it a couple of times this year (in Connecticut vs. Rhode Island and at the Reynolds Center come to mind).

stoops the eternal pimp
11/23/2009, 07:48 PM
Can I go on record as saying I don't get the mad all-american love for Willie Warren....Not saying he isn't a good player but one of the top in the country?....I haven't seen anything that warrants that kind of love

tommieharris91
11/23/2009, 08:03 PM
You should have put Tiny Gallon in the minus column. Dude had a triple-double: points, rebounds, and turnovers.

Sooner04
11/23/2009, 09:07 PM
STEP, Willie's a phenomenal offensive player, but he just tried to do WAY too much Saturday night. I think he was one of the players spooked by their big condor down low.

TH91, I think you're adding some of Cutler's turnovers in with Tiny's. Gallon only had four. :)

stoops the eternal pimp
11/23/2009, 09:10 PM
Again, no doubt, that he is a good basketball player...But I'm waiting for those consistent performances that merit the pre-season all american hype..

Sooner04
11/23/2009, 09:13 PM
Again, no doubt, that he is a good basketball player...But I'm waiting for those consistent performances that merit the pre-season all american hype..
He started much the same way last season. Didn't make a trey until his third game of the season. Started pouring it in after that.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/23/2009, 09:17 PM
Yeah, your right...This year's team can't afford to not have him night in and night out playing well....Maybe by conference time, I'll be sold

tommieharris91
11/23/2009, 09:34 PM
STEP, Willie's a phenomenal offensive player, but he just tried to do WAY too much Saturday night. I think he was one of the players spooked by their big condor down low.

TH91, I think you're adding some of Cutler's turnovers in with Tiny's. Gallon only had four. :)

Meh, I swear I saw someone somewhere say Tiny had 10 turnovers. On that same note, Willie's 6 TO's make his night that much worse.

And yea, Cutler sux and the Bears will never have a good QB.

Sooner24
11/23/2009, 10:23 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/KingpinPadre/P1010822-1-1.jpg
And here I am in Richmond, striking a pose very similar to the one General George Armstrong Custer struck before he rode his horse into Medicine Tail Coulee.

Looks like they have retired more jerseys than we have.

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 10:24 PM
DC is a great place. I went then with family a few months back and we didn't get to see half of what we wanted but we had a good time.

As far as the basketball team we are going to see a lot of this team having to rely on WW a little too much. If Willie doesn't play well our team won't play well. We'll get better at defense and have our young guys step up more and more but with so much lost from last season and a tough start to the schedule it'll be a rough start. But I think we'll hit our stride by conference play. I wouldn't be shocked if we go into conference play with at least 3 or 4 losses, maybe even close to .500 record. But I think we can see 12 or so wins in conference play.

picasso
11/23/2009, 11:35 PM
Brando, can we get a pic of that swath flappin' in the breeze?

And there isn't anything like visiting DC in November.

Collier11
11/24/2009, 02:29 AM
Cut that hair Fabio

NormanPride
11/24/2009, 10:56 AM
This one hurt, but hopefully the guys learn from it.

badger
11/24/2009, 12:00 PM
Enjoy the recaps. Please continue them throughout the season!

I'm sure a lot of this loss had to do with the fact that they're young and they were on the road... I hope an Anchorage road trip this week is more forgiving than a VCU one last week.

the_ouskull
11/25/2009, 02:52 PM
It's about the learning curve. If they come out in the G.A.S. and prove that they learned some painful lessons about pulling feet out of their *ss, then take the lumps, learn the lesson, move on. If they come out, and still look like sh*t, then we need to start the worry bus.

the_ouskull

bri
11/28/2009, 01:49 AM
Meh, even with the struggles in Alaska, I can't bring myself to hit the eject button three weeks into a 30-game season. They'll figure it out.

NormanPride
11/30/2009, 11:45 AM
Word.

Collier11
11/30/2009, 12:02 PM
Thats why I mentioned in one of the game threads that this is a young team, they will take their lumps and be better for it. We have some big games coming up at home and if we can win those we are right back on track

badger
11/30/2009, 12:14 PM
Quitting after three losses is soooooooooo football season, not basketball season.

Get it together, guys!