PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything to look forward to next year???

THEE12NV
11/23/2009, 12:25 PM
In the past under Stoops, there always seems to be hope and anticipation for next year. I'm really having a hard time getting excited about next year's team. The QB situation is up in the air, the offensive line hasn't shown much improvement throughout this year, the OU defense will probably be weaker next year, and I believe we play at Cincinnati early in the year. OUCH! Could be ugly.

TUSooner
11/23/2009, 12:36 PM
There WILL be Sooner football !

That's all the sunshine I can pump just now. :D

batonrougesooner
11/23/2009, 12:38 PM
I'm hopeful for a nice seating upgrade.

delhalew
11/23/2009, 12:40 PM
You can pretend this season never happened.

TUSooner
11/23/2009, 12:41 PM
We probably won't be overrated?

setem
11/23/2009, 12:44 PM
Could be ugly! Will it be? Who knows? Next season hangs on whether or not Bob makes the right changes to fix the problems. I think we are gonna need some top juco guys to fix that oline and the wideouts are gonna have to sure up their catching skills. I think Landry can only get better but if he does not have a oline he can trust to not get him killed he will be the same. Comfort builds a solid QB.

The d will be ok. We have never had a problem replacing the guys up front so why would there be issues now. I know we use some DB's but guys have seen significant time this year in back up rolls and we have done pretty darn good except for this huge turd we laid in Lubbock.

O'hara will be out place kicker as long as he keep booting the bloody **** out of the ball.

But all of this hangs on the changes Bob makes. Does he put the firer under his staff to help these guys or does he let them keep doing what they have done this year. I think if we can fix the oline we can go back to the kind of offense that lights up the scoreboards.

We have a D minded coach so the defense will always be solid to very good. So we can always rely on that!

the_sooners_abide
11/23/2009, 12:48 PM
We'll still have two more years to live before the world ends in 2012?

SoonerMavrick25
11/23/2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah... That this current season is history... Lets see the response as a program after getting sucker punched in the mouth by the year 2009.

TUSooner
11/23/2009, 12:52 PM
But all of this hangs on the changes Bob makes.

I foresee none whatsoever; so we'd better have some talent!

Blues1
11/23/2009, 01:02 PM
Is there anything to look forward to next year??? ~~ Not Yet....!

Still trying to find something for this Year......
If Texas Wins the BCS NC we can say we only lost to them by 3 points --- :(

Punt....!!

OPSEC
11/23/2009, 01:04 PM
Isay we will be alright. O line will need help yes. Landry will be okay. dont think the oline is the prob with Landry. Miller "could" turn into a big time wideout if he keeps his head on straight. Seems to me he is one incident away from getting gone. dont know why. D "should" be okay as long as peeps step up. People need to step up otherwise we need to stop recruiting them. Box is gonna be a good one. Needs reps and some beef. curious to see how many egos got hurt this year and how many juniors depart thinking its in their best interest....that is the bigger question.

OU4LIFE
11/23/2009, 01:14 PM
all of these spoiled ***, sky-is-falling, oh dear god what happened to us, we're Oklahoma, people just really **** me off.

srsly, take a ****ing step back and realize for just a FEW seconds how damned good we've had it.

fer****sake people, we'll be fine.

Collier11
11/23/2009, 01:29 PM
My Gawd some of you are babies, we will be fine next year. I would be realistically shocked if we didnt compete for the conf title if not the natl title next year. If we dont win atleast 10 games next year and beat Texas then you can reference this post and call me an idiot for all I care

Crucifax Autumn
11/23/2009, 01:33 PM
Jesus Christ guys....It's SOONER FOOTBALL!!!!!

OF course we have plenty to look forward to.

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 01:37 PM
In the past under Stoops, there always seems to be hope and anticipation for next year. I'm really having a hard time getting excited about next year's team. The QB situation is up in the air, the offensive line hasn't shown much improvement throughout this year, the OU defense will probably be weaker next year, and I believe we play at Cincinnati early in the year. OUCH! Could be ugly.
How can Sooner fans NOT see the similarities between 2001 and 2005. It is so flipping obvious. Inexperienced QBs and MASH unit offensive lines.

How did the following year's turn out (02, 06)? Big 12 champs.

Yes, we lose some on defense. But how about losing Rocky Calmus and Roy Williams?

Shame on you guys.

Everyone was excitied that Bomar was going to lead us into 2006. Wanna compare Landry vs 05 Bomar? Hell, wanna compare Landry vs 01 Hybl?

Get your head in the game!

GottaHavePride
11/23/2009, 01:39 PM
The o-line hasn't shown much progress perhaps because they have become increasingly more injured as the season has gone along. Tough to get better when you lose another player every other week.

StoopTroup
11/23/2009, 01:42 PM
Some folks need to grow a pair.

That is if it's possible.

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 01:43 PM
The o-line hasn't shown much progress perhaps because they have become increasingly more injured as the season has gone along. Tough to get better when you lose another player every other week.
2001, check. 2005, check. Same EXACT thing was happening.

The difference I see is Duncan and Hartley made a few more FGs here and there.

rainiersooner
11/23/2009, 04:04 PM

Great point - anyone with time on their hands done research to see whether or not (or how many times) the same O Line unit has started? My guess is that it's been a different configuration each game.

King Barry's Back
11/23/2009, 04:18 PM
OPTIMISTIC SCENARIO:

Paddy continues kicking the leather off the ball, accurately

We sign three JUCO all-american-type Oline men.

Tennell graduates. Ryan Broyles comes back strong. We sign a couple of top JUCO receivers. A coule of this year's WR crop finally steps up -- maybe Jaz Reynolds? Maybe DeJuan Miller?

Those steps, and I'm not saying they will be easy, would go a long way to solving the problems of this year.

We could quickly be back solidly in the top 10.

What still worries me is 1) lack of improvement; 2) zombie-like lack of emotion on the road

Pricetag
11/23/2009, 04:24 PM
We probably won't be overrated?
This right here. A definite positive going into 2010.

Widescreen
11/23/2009, 04:26 PM
If we dont win atleast 10 games next year and beat Texas then you can reference this post and call me an idiot for all I care

Can I go ahead and call you an idiot now to beat the rush? ;)

Collier11
11/23/2009, 04:27 PM
Let me ask you this, have Stoops players and teams not always came back strong? Do any of you really think this will linger? If you answer yes to that then you might as well say Stoops isnt a good coach anymore. Our WRs have gotten a ton better outside of Tennell who is still not that good at catching the ball. We will 3 really good RBs next year, 3 good QBs to choose from and about 8 O-lineman who have started at some point this year.

What I want to see most of all is the coaches picking an Oline by the time spring ball is over and sticking with it so they can gel together. All this shuffling throughout the fall practices cant help with continuity and you need that on the Oline.

On top of that we will return 7-9 Def starters as well as a good Punter and a kicker who thus far has been good. As I have said in several threads, if we lose to texas again next year I will be worried considering what they lose, if we dont win 10 games and compete for the conf next year I will be extremely worried. But im not worried cus I am positive that those things will happen

Sirus
11/23/2009, 04:29 PM
Maybe the tickets will be less expensive?

JLEW1818
11/23/2009, 04:30 PM
Play @ Cincy, but they will have lost, QB Pike, and WR Gilyard

we get Air Force, Florida State, and Utah State at home.. gotta like home games

@ Missouri
@Aggies
@Baylor
@Poke State

of course texas

Collier11
11/23/2009, 04:33 PM
Can I go ahead and call you an idiot now to beat the rush? ;)

:gary:

tommieharris91
11/23/2009, 04:34 PM
All of the injuries have made us pretty young. How many starters will we lose overall? 7? 8?

Collier11
11/23/2009, 04:38 PM
We lose Eldridge, English, Bradford, Mccoy, Gresham, Williams, Simmons, Mccoy(likely), Clayton, Jackson, Brown, Tennell
of the ones who play alot

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 04:38 PM
Here's the spots I see open

QB is open. Landry is probably a slight leader but his bad road play hurts him.

Backup RB spot is up for grabs since Wilson likes to play 2 guys.

FB spot is wide open. But we may use a TE here.

Top 2 WRs are filled but the other WR spots are open. I do like some of the things I've seen from Jaz Reynolds though

TE is wide open, but I'm not sure we'll ever use one again, just like when Trent Smith left, this position pretty much won't exist except as an extra blocker.

OL everything but center should be open if Habern is healthy.

DL-depends on if Beal comes back. We may have new ends next year. McCoy is gone. Our young DTs will get their first real experience, but Taylor will start

LB should be pretty set here. But this is a spot where the 2 deep is pretty set right now. Lewis, Box, Reynolds, R. Lewis, Iboloye, should be the main guys here. The LBs are a pretty bright spot.

DBs-Franks and the safeties will be back. We could see Nelson start at Jackson's spot or one of the young to be sophomores.

The offense has a chance to be worse than this year. Defense looks pretty good. We could see more the same next year.

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 04:39 PM

@ Missouri
@Aggies
@Baylor
@Poke State

of course texas

Have you seen their backup QB? He is at least as good as Pike, maybe better because he can really run. Cincy could lose their coach to ND though.

tommieharris91
11/23/2009, 04:48 PM
We lose Eldridge, English, Bradford, Mccoy, Gresham, Williams, Simmons, Mccoy(likely), Clayton, Jackson, Brown, Tennell

Eldridge's backups got starts this season.

English's backup got starts this season.

Bradford, well everybody knows about him.

McCoy, yea, that's a big spot to fill.

Gresham never played this season. We've already lost him.

Williams, same with McCoy.

Simmons backup got a few starts this season.

Clayton, we gotta find a good replacement for him.

Ditto Jackson, Brown, and Tennell.

So, overall, we have 6 spots that will definitely be open next season. This isn't to say that there will be other new faces, but the team won't be green next season. Plenty of players will have game experience from this season.

Collier11
11/23/2009, 04:51 PM
We will return about 25-30 guys who played alot this year, that is a very good thing. Now they need to take a week or so after the season to pout a little, get it out of their system then get to work. We will know how hard they worked this offseason very early next year

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 04:51 PM

So, overall, we have 6 spots that will definitely be open next season. This isn't to say that there will be other new faces, but the team won't be green next season. Plenty of players will have game experience from this season.

What I'm disappointed about with our TE is that we have never really even tried to use one at all for the most part. We've basically made our TEs extra blockers again. I don't think it'll really matter who the TEs are next year they'll just be in there as extra offensive linemen.

Crucifax Autumn
11/23/2009, 04:52 PM
I have this wild theory we oughtta worry about Saturday and some shatty bowl game first though.

Collier11
11/23/2009, 04:58 PM

To look at this from the opposite direction, we return the following players who started or played alot at some point this season

Offense:

Landry, Demarco, Calhoun, Justin Miller, Rattertree, Habern, Good, Jeffries, Jarvis Jones, Evans, Lepak, Vinson, Brandon, Mensick, Hannah, Dejauan Miller, Cam Kenney, Broyles, Caleb, Madu, Jazz Reynolds, Crow

Defense:

Washington, Mcfarland, Beal(maybe), David King, Frank Alexander, Adrian Taylor, Casey Walker, Travis Lewis(probably), Reynolds, Box, Ibiloye, Ronnell Lewis, Franks(probably), Fleming, Hurst, Proctor, Nelson, Quinton Carter, Trice, and both kickers

when you view it like that, things arent so bad as long as they develop

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 05:00 PM
I predict OU wins the Big 12 in 2010.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/23/2009, 05:03 PM

I'm worried that Beal and Lewis will split too? Beal has had a great year and it has been on here before that Lewis could enter the Draft because of family problems?? :O

OUstud
11/23/2009, 05:06 PM
I predict OU wins the Big 12 in 2010.

In.

tommieharris91
11/23/2009, 05:07 PM
I'm worried that Beal and Lewis will split too? Beal has had a great year and it has been on here before that Lewis could enter the Draft because of family problems?? :O

I'm Ron Burgundy?

tulsaoilerfan
11/23/2009, 05:09 PM
How can Sooner fans NOT see the similarities between 2001 and 2005. It is so flipping obvious. Inexperienced QBs and MASH unit offensive lines.

Yes, we lose some on defense. But how about losing Rocky Calmus and Roy Williams?

Shame on you guys.

Everyone was excitied that Bomar was going to lead us into 2006. Wanna compare Landry vs 05 Bomar? Hell, wanna compare Landry vs 01 Hybl?

The line in 2005 wasn't a mash unit it was composed mostly of Freshmen having to be thrust into the action before they were really ready; by the end of the season they at least showed some promise

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 05:14 PM
The line in 2005 wasn't a mash unit it was composed mostly of Freshmen having to be thrust into the action before they were really ready; by the end of the season they at least showed some promise

Depends, we had 3 or 4 seniors that year and 2 that started in the NFL the next year(Chester and Joseph). One that hung around on an NFL practice squad a year or two(Chiasson). Bush was the other senior but he was hurt. That line had injury issues and got better as the year went on. We also had guys playing in the wrong spot on the line like Joseph.

IronHorseSooner
11/23/2009, 05:18 PM

That's been speculated for a while. The fact that Wort or R. Lewis would take his position softens the blow a good bit.

We also have darn near recruited an entire team next year, including return men. From the guys we have returning and what we have coming in, I think we have a puncher's chance in the Big XII next year. Even though they have talent, UTerus and OSU both lose people at the exact same place we lost in the past couple of years. A&M and Baylor are young, and Tech is at home next year. Mizzou is basically in the same situation that we are in now, ISU and CU are both at home. We get FSU, USU, and USAFA at home as well. Find a way to beat Cincy up there, and it might not be as bad as some would believe. Because of the proposed rookie salary cap, look for there not to be a dominant team out there next year.

KantoSooner
11/23/2009, 05:18 PM
One big ole key will be getting Landry to throw to the receivers the nine million times or so it takes for a qb and a receiver to get tuned into each other. Sam got those reps during spring and summer this year, not Landry.

I predict Jones will be a big time qb for us. Criticize me if you will, but he has been that far off this year. And he has a rifle of an arm.

Collier11
11/23/2009, 05:26 PM

Guys on here who know about the draft process have said Beal is too slow but if he gets a gauranteed early rd pick he might be gone. Lewis has stated himself that he has alot to work on, I hope he does

goingoneight
11/23/2009, 05:28 PM
The core of next year's team may not look so hot in 2009, but they're gaining something extremely valuable in playing this year. Even when you're out there stinking it up, you get a chance in full-pads, live-action, crowd experience against a team gunning for you. You also get film to review, conditioning gets better with time and dedication... some players know exactly what their weakness is and can focus in the off-season on improving that. Familiarity with your teammates, coaches and game-like experience can't be simulated amongst 100 young guys. In the off-season you have time to breathe and heal up, go back to work and re-dedicate yourself.

Remember how awful PT looked in the TCU game? He had but 30 days to prepare for being the starter in 2006. Imagine what a guy like Landry, who is in many ways already better than PT-- in an off-season.

Assuming everyone's healed up:

We have a center who started 10 games. Lepak will have the OSU and Bowl game to learn on the fly.

Guards this year may have been ugly, but an off-season with Schmidt and Patton does wonders for young O-linemen. Just ask Duke Robinson.

Landry and Drew will only be better in the system based on experience. Stats may not show it, as stats have to do with all 11 guys doing their part... but another year in a proven system is only a positive. I feel much better about Landry and Drew than I did about Bomar and Halzle. Even though Sam really shocked the world, try and remember how much people worried about him going into 2007. This was before we ever really saw DeMarco, Broyles, or Gresham really get out there and do anything besides a block here and there.

Offense *should be* better. 60 ppg? No... I think it will be a LONG TIME before ANYONE can do that again. But experienced enough to get over the one-point hump vs BYU, Miami? Yes. Better prepared for a QB change vs Texas? Yes. Why? Because the surrounding parts are a year better for the most part.

Negatives:
If we had a TE who was worth his salt, he'd be out there doing more than just seal-blocking right now. Hopefully Gabe Ikard and Austin Haywood prove me DEAD wrong. Still, Hanna and the two walk-ons will again be a year more experienced if anything else.

Defense depends on who leaves. We don't know that we won't lose Jeremy Beal, Dom Franks and Travis Lewis to tempting millions. Honestly, do you see ANYONE saying to themselves in the off-season... "I think I'll be okay coming back... not worried about injuries." Add in Jackson, Clayton, McCoy and you're returning:

Inexperienced sophomore RJ Washington
Adrian Taylor is not proven without GK commanding a double-team
One injury on the DL and we could be in deep shat.

LB corps: Maybe Reynolds comes back... but who knows yet. Ibiloye has looked good, but he hasn't truly slid down to OLB yet. He's played nickel and free safety. Box and Wort are bright spots when healthy.

Two new corners and two safeties routinely beaten over the middle.

TXBOOMER
11/23/2009, 05:32 PM
We may have enough improvement next year to crack the top 25. I'm hopeful we can get back on the level of Mississippi, Cal, Houston, BYU, Oregon State etc.

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 05:33 PM
Oh no, dude. There were about 20 games lost to injury that year. Braxton, Chiasson, Bush, Chester, Cooper, Joseph. I think Messner was the only guy who didn't get hurt. They had 4 senior starters when healthy; Jospeh, Chaisson, Bush, Chester. Injuries is what got those freshman (Coop, Duke, Quinn, Brax) playing time.

Braxton, achillies.
Chester, knee
Bush, broken hand.
Joseph, neck.
Coop, leg.

I think we played 4 different centers that season!

Collier11
11/23/2009, 05:34 PM
Proctor and Carter return at Safety gauranteed, Franks is almost a gaurantee , our secondary and linebackers return 5 out of 7 but we also have Hurst who has looked good and Box, Lewis, and Wort at LB as well

Collier11
11/23/2009, 05:35 PM
We may have enough improvement next year to crack the top 25. I'm hopeful we can get back on the level of Mississippi, Cal, Houston, BYU, Oregon State etc.

If thats all the faith you have in this coaching staff then we need to make a friendly bet. Let me know if you want to take it, ill take Top 15 or under, you take 16 or over at the end of the year?

VA Sooner
11/23/2009, 05:36 PM
Young team this year means experienced and hopefully more mature next.

Tough season with all of the injuries... Losing 9 starters would have made other teams ineligible for bowls... we're still going.

Just need to win this game Saturday and get this team back on course heading into the bowl game and put the season to rest.

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 05:38 PM
LOL

TXBOOMER
11/23/2009, 05:40 PM
If thats all the faith you have in this coaching staff then we need to make a friendly bet. Let me know if you want to take it, ill take Top 15 or under, you take 16 or over at the end of the year?

I never bet against Bob. For all I know we might win #8 next year. I'm just trying to adjust my expectations.:)

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2009, 05:47 PM

One thing I noticed this year that I haven't had to recently: being ranked is not easy! Once you get by the top 5 teams, the next 20 can all beat each other on any given Saturday. Some teams have gone from single digit rankings to unranked after a tough couple of games. Stanford leaped up to 12 after crushing Oregon and USC and are now unranked after losing to Cal.

Moral: stay in the top 5 :)

TAFBSooner
11/23/2009, 06:12 PM
Does anyone have any successful strategies for getting better tickets? I always get the "low, low turnover" excuse when I put an improvement request on the donation form.

Other than donating Boone-like amounts of cash, that is. :O

TXBOOMER
11/23/2009, 07:00 PM

@ Missouri
@Aggies
@Baylor
@Poke State

of course texas

I'm not sure Pike's replacement isn't better. I hope their coach goes somewhere.

tulsaoilerfan
11/23/2009, 10:35 PM
Oh no, dude. There were about 20 games lost to injury that year. Braxton, Chiasson, Bush, Chester, Cooper, Joseph. I think Messner was the only guy who didn't get hurt. They had 4 senior starters when healthy; Jospeh, Chaisson, Bush, Chester. Injuries is what got those freshman (Coop, Duke, Quinn, Brax) playing time.

Braxton, achillies.
Chester, knee
Bush, broken hand.
Joseph, neck.
Coop, leg.

I think we played 4 different centers that season!

Honestly don't recall the injuries being that bad, but it's been 4 years ago; i do remember Cooper breaking his leg in the Tech game and don't recall Quinn ever playing(although he may have), but i do recall the young guys showing some promise before the year was over and actually getting better; haven't seen that really from any of the guys on the line this year.

Of course it might help if the supposed best lineman Wilson had ever coached was playing worth a damn

sooner rick
11/23/2009, 10:43 PM
all of these spoiled ***, sky-is-falling, oh dear god what happened to us, we're Oklahoma, people just really **** me off.

srsly, take a ****ing step back and realize for just a FEW seconds how damned good we've had it.

fer****sake people, we'll be fine.

Amen brother!

FaninAma
11/23/2009, 10:51 PM
If the CCG is in KC OU will be in it.......
Guaranteed.

JLEW1818
11/23/2009, 10:55 PM
If the CCG is in KC OU will be in it.......
Guaranteed.

back in Arlington again

Boomer Mooner
11/23/2009, 11:03 PM

I'm looking forward to fewer whiney assed crybabies on this board.

Collier11
11/23/2009, 11:36 PM
dont count on it

Funky G
11/24/2009, 01:06 AM

Shame on you guys.

Landry is very similar to Hybl. OL depth will remain a problem. But, the injuries will be gone, so clean slate. OU will win at home, struggle on the road, and get mashed in the bowl game. Only glimmer of hope is the Texas is losing their OL core and QB.

tommieharris91
11/24/2009, 01:22 AM
Landry is very similar to Hybl. OL depth will remain a problem. But, the injuries will be gone, so clean slate. OU will win at home, struggle on the road, and get mashed in the bowl game. Only glimmer of hope is the Texas is losing their OL core and QB.

I'm gonna guess that they will lose a few guys on D, too.