PDA

View Full Version : Should OU decline any bowl invitation?

CU Sooner
11/23/2009, 08:22 AM
I think it would be a great move if Bob told Castiglione that this team doesn't deserve to go to a bowl. Even after the win this Saturday, a 7-5 season is not what this program is about and if a player comes to OU for that then they need to go north to school. I would rather see OU stay home than go to the Texas bowl or frankly anything less than Cotton. Just my 2 cents.

OUHOMER
11/23/2009, 08:25 AM
wrong, the Seniors deserve to play. Extra practice, etc

Spray
11/23/2009, 08:30 AM
No.

TUSooner
11/23/2009, 08:33 AM
No. But you are welcome not to go or watch.

Breadburner
11/23/2009, 08:34 AM
Jesus....!

OU4LIFE
11/23/2009, 08:41 AM
Sure thing man, YOU go in there and tell those seniors that, even though they've laid it all out there for the last 4-5 years, bled on the field, suffered through moronic fans, and given more to the program than 95% of people on this board, that they don't deserve to go to a bowl game.

riiiight.

w0lfe
11/23/2009, 08:42 AM
I think it would be a great move if Bob told Castiglione that this team doesn't deserve to go to a bowl. Even after the win this Saturday, a 7-5 season is not what this program is about and if a player comes to OU for that then they need to go north to school. I would rather see OU stay home than go to the Texas bowl or frankly anything less than Cotton. Just my 2 cents.

Wow, since they dont already have enough to deal with with the injuries and fans like you

gaylordfan1
11/23/2009, 08:42 AM
Crazy to turn down a bowl. I agree the Sr's deserve it, and bowl prep will help the underclassmen to get ready for years to come.

SoonerMavrick25
11/23/2009, 09:10 AM
Keep your two cents.

Widescreen
11/23/2009, 09:12 AM
I read somewhere that, by conference rule, teams are not allowed to turn down bowl invitations. That would reduce the conference's income, so I can see why that might be the case.

TUSooner
11/23/2009, 09:18 AM
The more I think about the original post, the more incredibly "stupider" it gets.

You wanna screw the players because some spoiled fans are having a hissy fit?
NO. WAY.
Your post is greatly overpriced at two cents.

John Kochtoston
11/23/2009, 09:20 AM
Yep. OU can't turn down bowl invites, barring extraordinary circumstances. The Sun Bowl, Insight Bowl, etc. don't sign up for the left overs of the Big 12 without knowing those leftovers, on occassion, will include OU, Texas, Nebraska, etc.

Plus, we really, really need the practice.

setem
11/23/2009, 09:25 AM
Besides the fact the school and the conference will get a nice chunk of change for playing in ANY bowl game. It would be just asinine to turn down a bowl bid! Don't you think you are being just a tad ridiculous? No one really cares what your standards are, so go right ahead and stay home! Also...what kid is going to come to OU and say..."Coach I sure do hope we go 7-5 this year, that would be just swell" These kids have high standards or they wouldn't be D-1 caliber athletes. Even PUKE recruits go their hoping to win the MNC!

Grow up Peter Pan!

flopshotjoe99
11/23/2009, 09:30 AM
all I can say is WOW.:rolleyes:

setem
11/23/2009, 09:32 AM
I am guessing by your standards we shouldn't even play this weekend?

badger
11/23/2009, 09:34 AM
It's not that our team isn't trying hard or isn't good enough to be called "Sooners," we're just suffering a lot of injuries.

As such, please lock this thread before any pokes get ahold of it :(

IslandSooner
11/23/2009, 09:35 AM
Absolutely not. They have played their butts off and they deserve the bowl experience, even if it is El Paso or Shreveport, or where ever. It can still be a great time. We are still the Sooners, we don't pass on Bowl games........

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 09:43 AM

We don't win a national title in 2000 if we don't go to the weed eater bowl in 1999.

SteelClip49
11/23/2009, 09:51 AM
This has been a fun season for the most part thanks to the defense showing up except for one game. Offense has been dealt with injuries as has the defense but overall, despite the 6-5 record right now, we can still go into the offseason with some smiles and get excited for next year.

Oklahoma State is playing for the Fiesta Bowl on saturday and I say let's spoil it for them and end the regular season 7-5.

Now I would hate to wind up in the damn TEXAS Bowl....anything with the name Texas in it just blows chunks but I wouldn't mind one bit if the Sun Bowl picked us to play in their game. The Sun Bowl is the second oldest bowl game and it's never a bad destination. I would be very very excited if we wound up in the Sun Bowl and perhaps played USC.

To the OP....go back to bed.

King Barry's Back
11/23/2009, 09:56 AM
You guys are being a little hard on CU Sooner.

I don't agree with him, and it doesn't matter if anybody else does, cuz we have to accept a bowl bid -- as stated above.

BUT, to correct the record:

Island Sooners says "We are still the Sooners, we don't pass on bowl games."

That is not completely accurate.

In 1983, the Sooners finished the regular season at 8-4, and the final game was played at Hawaii in December. Coach Switzer announced that the Sooners would say "No" to any bowl that was not prestigous enough, and recognized that their four losses would keep them out of an exciting bowl, so he just viewed Hawaii as their bowl game that year.

Too much effort for the Gator Bowl or whoever, so I guess he just didn't want to mess with it.

kustang619
11/23/2009, 10:02 AM

......RIDICULOUS!

Flagstaffsooner
11/23/2009, 10:29 AM
nm

Jacie
11/23/2009, 10:31 AM
The reasons for a 7-5 or 6-6 team to accept a bowl bid far outweigh those to refuse.

The extra practice time is the biggest benefit to the (future) team and #1 among the coaches.

Every player deserves the reward of a post season trip and whatever goodies are given to them by the bowl sponsors. These vary greatly from bowl to bowl (Sooners & Gators found a pair of Crocs in their bag last year!), though the upper limit is $500 retail value. There is no lower limit (One bowl gave souvenir watches and 2-piece leather travel sets . . . that was all).

Dedicated fans can follow the team to a new stadium, sometimes in places they actually want to visit (The Motor City Bowl? We're going to Detroit!)

One reason that is not valid, at least for many of the non-BCS bowls, is that the game is a moneymaker for the participants. Though many bowl payouts are in 7 figures a few are under half a million dollars. Last year one team's take was so low, they could not afford to take the band with them lest they lose money.

Sooner fans may dread seeing OUr guys play another road game but there is always the possibility that they will win!

Sabanball
11/23/2009, 10:41 AM
And turn down the bowl revenue and extra practice for the players? I think not......

You're just spoiled.;-)

Scott D
actually Jacie it's not the Motor City Bowl anymore, it's the Little Caesars Bowl.

setem
The reasons for a 7-5 or 6-6 team to accept a bowl bid far outweigh those to refuse.

The extra practice time is the biggest benefit to the (future) team and #1 among the coaches.

Every player deserves the reward of a post season trip and whatever goodies are given to them by the bowl sponsors. These vary greatly from bowl to bowl (Sooners & Gators found a pair of Crocs in their bag last year!), though the upper limit is $500 retail value. There is no lower limit (One bowl gave souvenir watches and 2-piece leather travel sets . . . that was all).

Dedicated fans can follow the team to a new stadium, sometimes in places they actually want to visit (The Motor City Bowl? We're going to Detroit!)

One reason that is not valid, at least for many of the non-BCS bowls, is that the game is a moneymaker for the participants. Though many bowl payouts are in 7 figures a few are under half a million dollars. Last year one team's take was so low, they could not afford to take the band with them lest they lose money.

Sooner fans may dread seeing OUr guys play another road game but there is always the possibility that they will win!

All they got were Crocs last year? I heard they got some expensive watches. The year before in the Fiesta they got TV's and a ipod. Oh and Granger got a leather jacket!

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2009, 11:51 AM
We don't win a national title in 2000 if we don't go to the weed eater bowl in 1999.

Not a provable statement, but probably true. If you look back on any teams title year, there are a few critical plays that have to go their way or they don't win it. The extra practice may well have sharpened Torrence Marshall's coverage skills during the '99 bowl prep. Or maybe the exposure got D. Strait to sign that letter of intent.

Jacie
11/23/2009, 11:54 AM
All they got were Crocs last year? I heard they got some expensive watches. The year before in the Fiesta they got TV's and a ipod. Oh and Granger got a leather jacket!

I pointed out the Crocs (Orange wasn't the only bowl to give those out, btw) to illustrate how lame are some of the items in the goodie bags (Can you see OUr McCoy wearing Crocs?). Of the stuff below, the only thing worth mentioning is the first one and I hope there was something decent in that suite for the kids to select.

The complete list:

$300 Sony Gifting Suite
New Era fitted hat
Torneau watch
Championship Crocs
Ogio backpack
Luggage tags

TXBOOMER
11/23/2009, 12:06 PM
We need the practice. If we lose to OSU Saturday, It is a good thing we played Big Sky Conference Tator State for that 6th win. I think Home OU is gonna put an arse whipping on Okie Lite though.

stoopified
11/23/2009, 12:13 PM
wrong, the Seniors deserve to play. Extra practice, etcExactly.The extra prectice time is used as an extra spring practice to get young players ready for next season.I recall hearing stories ofhow well Sam played in practice before the bowl game when he was redshirting,worked out pretty well for him.I will say this,I think with a 12 game slate you SHOULD have to win 7 games to be bowl eligible,I don't think being .500 is worthy of a bowl game.

badger
11/23/2009, 12:16 PM

If you visit the Barry Switzer Center, you can see examples of what OU players have received as bowl gifts recently.

The Rose Bowl in 2002 was the PS2 Rose Bowl... guess what they got.

The Nokia Sugar Bowl just introduced their little "taco phone" called the N-Gage... I heard most of them ended up on eBay shortly after the players got them :D

My guess is they got more than crocs... you can get more than one gift, you know :D

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2009, 12:18 PM
Exactly.The extra prectice time is used as an extra spring practice to get young players ready for next season.I recall hearing stories ofhow well Sam played in practice before the bowl game when he was redshirting,worked out pretty well for him.I will say this,I think with a 12 game slate you SHOULD have to win 7 games to be bowl eligible,I don't think being .500 is worthy of a bowl game.

I was surprised the requirement didn't go to 7 wins to get to a bowl when they went to a 12 game season. But there are so many bowls, I see that the big12 won't fulfill their bowl obligations if the pokes go to the fiesta bowl. So I guess we'll be doing the big12 a favor by sending OSU to another bowl :)

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 12:42 PM

That was a program that was going up. This one isn't going up. I think not going to a bowl may be a better motivator than going to a meaningless bowl and losing it.

setem
11/23/2009, 12:47 PM
That was a program that was going up. This one isn't going up. I think not going to a bowl may be a better motivator than going to a meaningless bowl and losing it.

...and that is why I thank the 8lb 6oz beautiful baby Jesus you have no say in what this team does!

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 12:49 PM
If anyone could prove to me that bowl games matter than I would agree. Bowl games only make the regular season meaningless. 5 loss teams should never go to a bowl game.

setem
11/23/2009, 12:51 PM
So you will be happy with the season ending saturday? I don't know about you but I love watching the sooners play football win or lose even if it is in a scrimmage. I go to scrimmages sometimes because I love this team. Maybe that makes me lame but the season ending saturday win or lose is a bummer. ONE MORE GAME is always a plus!

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2009, 12:53 PM

It doesn't matter if this team is going up; we're talking about the impact on next year's team. Their will be quite a few different players on the 2 deep next year and most of them will be practicing for this years bowl. And motivation isn't the question, it's mastery of their respective positions and ability to work together as a team. If the motivation to win doesn't exist, then we're hosed regardless.

OPSEC
11/23/2009, 12:58 PM
turning down bowl games make you look arrogant. Almost like you had a bad season but YOU think you deserved better. What if Texarse turns down their bowl last year because they felt like they got hosed? Pony boy would not be in the running for the Heisman this year. It counts as one of the wins of his last 43.

setem
11/23/2009, 01:06 PM
We didn't get our way so we are gonna take our toys and go home!

If you honestly think we should end the season this way you guy nuts. What about momentum? I know it sounds weird but winning your bowl game seems to give teams a boost heading into the next year. You think recruits are gonna wanna come here if we turn down bowl games. They will laugh in our damn faces.

What if I had a baseball player I wanted to come play for me but my team was not playing well so I said; "Guys you don't deserve to play in playoffs even though your earned the right to get there." ?That player would think I am joke. Acting like that is not setting any kind of example it is just laying down and giving up. End your season as best you can if you lose you it up and do it again. If you win the celebrate the victory and remember the season.

OU4LIFE
11/23/2009, 01:10 PM
actually Jacie it's not the Motor City Bowl anymore, it's the Little Caesars Bowl.

why? cause you can get as many tickets as you want for five dollars each?

Soonrboy
11/23/2009, 01:14 PM
I select you to go tell Gerald McCoy he is not going to a bowl game because the team didn't win enough. Go ahead.

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 01:21 PM
It doesn't matter if this team is going up; we're talking about the impact on next year's team. Their will be quite a few different players on the 2 deep next year and most of them will be practicing for this years bowl. And motivation isn't the question, it's mastery of their respective positions and ability to work together as a team. If the motivation to win doesn't exist, then we're hosed regardless.

They'll be practicing with our without a bowl. I don't know what difference a bowl makes other than an extra game that means nothing and if we lose we may have a losing record this year which just leaves the seniors with an even more sour taste.

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 01:24 PM
I select you to go tell Gerald McCoy he is not going to a bowl game because the team didn't win enough. Go ahead.

Not going to a bowl would fire up the young guys for next year. Obvious GMK is going pro, but to me the players this year have shamed the program. There's no reason to reward a season like this with a bowl.

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 01:29 PM
They'll be practicing with our without a bowl. I don't know what difference a bowl makes other than an extra game that means nothing and if we lose we may have a losing record this year which just leaves the seniors with an even more sour taste.

You might want to research that.

Sooner98
11/23/2009, 01:32 PM
I don't think we should turn down a bowl invitation. Why deprive the players of the opportunity to party hard until the wee hours, the night before the bowl game (as seems to happen every year)? Plus, another humiliating bowl loss to an "inferior" opponent will give the coaches plenty to think about over the off-season.

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 01:34 PM
You might want to research that.

Football is pretty much a year round thing. Even though there won't be coaches around, players will still be working together practicing almost year round.

Rhino
11/23/2009, 01:34 PM
No - ad infinitum.

Rhino
11/23/2009, 01:36 PM
Football is pretty much a year round thing. Even though there won't be coaches around, players will still be working together practicing almost year round. Practice is a very loose term in that regard.

You can't put a price on the value extra practices in December give your program. You should never turn down a bowl game.

sooner59
11/23/2009, 01:40 PM
Not going to a bowl would fire up the young guys for next year. Obvious GMK is going pro, but to me the players this year have shamed the program. There's no reason to reward a season like this with a bowl.

I can't believe Sam Bradford and Jermaine Gresham shamed the program by being injured and having surgery. I can't believe the defense shamed our program by playing lights outs up until Tech. Geez. Get a clue. Fans like this are what shames the program, not the players who are busting their ***. :mad:

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 01:43 PM
I can't believe Sam Bradford and Jermaine Gresham shamed the program by being injured and having surgery. I can't believe the defense shamed our program by playing lights outs up until Tech. Geez. Get a clue. Fans like this are what shames the program, not the players who are busting their ***. :mad:

I'm sorry but if you look at the play on the field this year, you would think that John Blake was coaching the team not Bob Stoops. This is one of the worst coached OU teams I can remember that includes the Howie and Blake years. And it'll probably have something like 8 guys drafted off this team not counting Bradford and Gresham. And even more if you count the guys staying that will be drafted. There could be around 20 NFL guys on this roster. At least Blake's teams had the excuse of not having a ton of NFL talent.

Crucifax Autumn
11/23/2009, 01:44 PM
This is the single worst thread ever with one of the most uniformed posters I've ever seen.

sooner59
11/23/2009, 01:46 PM
This is the single worst thread ever with one of the most uniformed posters I've ever seen.

Agreed. I made my one appearance and now I'm done with it.

boomermagic
11/23/2009, 01:47 PM

Do like Barry did and let the team vote on it and decide.. He did that one year.. I think they should stay home...

ouduckhunter
11/23/2009, 01:50 PM
Good lord no!!

Espin pundits, other teams, coaches, the entire world, blah blah blah already loves to bash us, and hate on us! I can only imagine what would happen if we turned a bowl invite down. It wouldn't matter what our reason or rationale was, we'd be toast! We'd never hear the end of how Oklahoma thinks that they are too good to play in a minor bowl, too demoralized, too scared, etc.

Whatever bowl we get invited to, let's put our helmets on, fans included, and go out and beat the $hit out of the other team! We are Sooners, and we are proud! Let's go out and show the world who we are, and lets get some spek!!!!

Boomer!!

tommieharris91
11/23/2009, 01:50 PM

This.

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 02:02 PM
Do like Barry did and let the team vote on it and decide.. He did that one year.. I think they should stay home...

Of couse! LOL

freakhorn
11/23/2009, 02:07 PM
after the win this Saturday? 6-6 toliet bowl bound.

King Barry's Back
11/23/2009, 04:37 PM
;)
after the win this Saturday? 6-6 toliet bowl bound.

I don't know. Right now I'm feeling like we will win.

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 04:46 PM
I pretty much know we will win and that we will go to the bowl game. I'm just sick of watching crappy football just like I was tired of it in 1997 when Blake really should have been fired.

Hella Sideburns
11/23/2009, 04:55 PM
let me get this straight: You want to deny all of the freshmen, sophs and juniors an extra month of practice leading into next year, because you're upset with our record?

great idea, moron

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2009, 05:01 PM
If I were the big12 commissioner, I would raise hell with any team that turned down a bowl bid. It had better be a dang good reason and "we are punishing ourselves for a bad season" or "our school is too proud to go to that puny bowl" wouldn't cut it.

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 05:06 PM
let me get this straight: You want to deny all of the freshmen, sophs and juniors an extra month of practice leading into next year, because you're upset with our record?

great idea, moron

The way it's going right now we probably get about 2 or 3 weeks of extra practice not the full month. But it's not like the players really stop practicing anyway.

DMAFB_Sooner08
11/23/2009, 05:10 PM
...and that is why I thank the 8lb 6oz beautiful baby Jesus you have no say in what this team does!

HE WAS A MAN :D

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 05:20 PM
The way it's going right now we probably get about 2 or 3 weeks of extra practice not the full month. But it's not like the players really stop practicing anyway.
Yes they certainly do!

OUMedMan
11/23/2009, 05:41 PM

Okay, I'm trying to visualize this. The Just North of Juarez Sun Bowl proudly invites the renowned OU Sooners to play. . . .the University of Southern California Trojans, who have already accepted the invitation.

And OU says. . . . .nope, we don't want to play them there condoms. . . . .

Wow. . . .talk about having to live down 55-19. . . . . .that would probably be talked about for 100 years, and not in a good sense.

soonerborn45
11/23/2009, 06:20 PM

Your an idiot I hope you know that. You do know that Gresham and McCoy both committed to OU after a 8-4 season. That's not much better than 7-5. Players are going to come to OU for the fact that it is OU. Just because the team is having a down year isn't going to effect recruiting. Keep your 2 cents Kevin Ogle.

TAFBSooner
11/23/2009, 06:24 PM

We won't be playing the Big XII champ, the Big XII South champ, or the 17th and 19th ranked teams in the country in whatever bowl we go to. I think there's a very reasonable chance we can win our bowl. (Do we still have a shot at the Alamo Bowl? I would be pumped about going to the Alamodome again, because of my days as KAFBSooner.)

Plus, once more with feeling, We Need the Practice!

MyT Oklahoma
11/23/2009, 07:14 PM
Sure thing man, YOU go in there and tell those seniors that, even though they've laid it all out there for the last 4-5 years, bled on the field, suffered through moronic fans, and given more to the program than 95% of people on this board, that they don't deserve to go to a bowl game.

riiiight.

^^ This. At first (after last Saturday's loss) I kind of felt the same way about not going to any bowl game but the fact is that is simply not fair to our players.

Besides our seniors have never won a bowl game. Let them go and then let's cheer them on. I want their last memories as Sooners to be positive ones.

Scott D
11/23/2009, 07:28 PM
why? cause you can get as many tickets as you want for five dollars each?

hah, no because the sponsorship was open after as part of the bailout and restructurings with the auto makers they cut ties with the bowl. Being the local guy he is Mike Ilitch stepped forward and bought the sponsorship rights....plus it was a dig at the Papa John's guy.

dongill
11/23/2009, 07:50 PM
The Sooners will lose to OSU. SIX LOSSES.......perhaps, the Peanut Bowl!

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 10:11 PM
I have a problem with the entire bowl system we have right now and how it makes college football mean nothing. I remember when 4 and 5 loss teams didn't go to bowl games because they weren't good enough. You have to actually earn a bowl. Now you don't have to. It's stupid to play bad and get a bowl game. You should earn a bowl. 4 and 5 loss teams don't earn bowl games.

CU Sooner
11/23/2009, 10:22 PM
WOW! much different thought than I imagined. To settle a few things, first my first Sooner memory is OU/Michigan Orange Bowl. I have followed this team since i can remember and shed more tears broken more objects than anyone i know. I understand what OU FOOTBALL is, I too remember 83 and The King saying they would not go to a bowl. I do realize they went to Hawaii but the point was made that OU Football expects to play at a higher level.
I am also a fan who said every year during the 90's that this is the year for #7. You can call me names all you want but one thing i am not is spoiled. Spoiled are the posters who want a new coach at every different position when things don't go according to plan. Spoiled are posters who want to bench freshmen who make mistakes. I have not said that, but evaluating the season as a whole is not great. Some compare this team to 2005, sorry that team lost games early and got better as the year went on and should have been 9-3. No comparison.
Ridicule me all you want but I believe the year would be better ended after the win this saturday and would send a positive message that we are "THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA!"

Crucifax Autumn
11/23/2009, 10:23 PM
This thread:

http://www.stereotruth.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/bucket-o-fail.jpg

bluedogok
11/23/2009, 10:35 PM
In 1983, the Sooners finished the regular season at 8-4, and the final game was played at Hawaii in December. Coach Switzer announced that the Sooners would say "No" to any bowl that was not prestigous enough, and recognized that their four losses would keep them out of an exciting bowl, so he just viewed Hawaii as their bowl game that year.

Too much effort for the Gator Bowl or whoever, so I guess he just didn't want to mess with it.
It's not 1983 anymore, if you get invited, you go, there is too much money involved. I guess they could raise ticket prices another $50 a game instead of getting bowl revenues from the conference.

That would be an NCAA violation.

I pretty much know we will win and that we will go to the bowl game. I'm just sick of watching crappy football just like I was tired of it in 1997 when Blake really should have been fired.
Then don't watch, no one forces you to...there is always room on the Florida or Whorn bandwagons...:rolleyes:

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 11:14 PM
Then don't watch, no one forces you to...there is always room on the Florida or Whorn bandwagons...:rolleyes:
Why would I change from being an OU fan just because we suck that is just stupid

The 80s were a different time, and our coaches adjusted to our talent back then. Heck in midseason in 85 we went from the I formation to triple option in midseason won a national title. That doesn't happen these days. You rarely see teams change their offense midseason and adjust to what they have.

setem
11/23/2009, 11:23 PM
Why would I change from being an OU fan just because we suck that is just stupid

The 80s were a different time, and our coaches adjusted to our talent back then. Heck in midseason in 85 we went from the I formation to triple option in midseason won a national title. That doesn't happen these days. You rarely see teams change their offense midseason and adjust to what they have.

I agree that teams do not change schemes in the middle of the season but I dont think they really can. The kinds of offenses that colleges run these days are pretty complex some more so than pro teams. So to learn a new scheme in week would be damn near impossible. Teams do add new wrinkles to keep up with D's but I cant remember a midseason change. Landry is not the same QB Sam is and next year I am sure the O will be tailored to fit him or Blake Bell...maybe both. Not many teams have the luxary TT has where you could put your place kicker at QB and rack up points hand over fist.

ndpruitt03
11/23/2009, 11:30 PM
I agree that teams do not change schemes in the middle of the season but I dont think they really can. The kinds of offenses that colleges run these days are pretty complex some more so than pro teams. So to learn a new scheme in week would be damn near impossible. Teams do add new wrinkles to keep up with D's but I cant remember a midseason change. Landry is not the same QB Sam is and next year I am sure the O will be tailored to fit him or Blake Bell...maybe both. Not many teams have the luxary TT has where you could put your place kicker at QB and rack up points hand over fist.
I'm not saying completely change the offense because that's not what OU even really did under Switzer but they adjusted to what the talent can do. OU tried to do that some games but not consistently. Landry is not really good at throwing the ball down field he just can't read the field that well so why not keep with the short passing game? Against Nebraska we never really tried to do anything short and we kept getting picked off on a lot of downfield passes. Why keep throwing the ball downfield when it just doesn't work? We had no chance to win that game the way it was called. Same thing with the Texas game and a few other games.

setem
11/23/2009, 11:43 PM
I'm not saying completely change the offense because that's not what OU even really did under Switzer but they adjusted to what the talent can do. OU tried to do that some games but not consistently. Landry is not really good at throwing the ball down field he just can't read the field that well so why not keep with the short passing game? Against Nebraska we never really tried to do anything short and we kept getting picked off on a lot of downfield passes. Why keep throwing the ball downfield when it just doesn't work? We had no chance to win that game the way it was called. Same thing with the Texas game and a few other games.

I agree Landry is not a great QB but he has shown signs he can be very good. I also agree that the short game would be suit him. That kind of scheme worked against us in the Miami game. That Miami QB was not very good at throwing the ball down field but he hit the underneath guys and they made us pay. To be honest though Landry has no time, even for a short game. Part of what helped Miami was the fact that those underneath guys had enough time to get a step on our guys or they were legally screened off by our own guys. Can you think of any time this year Landry has had enough time for a play to develop like that? Idaho State does not count and they even got to him in that game. For ANY team to be successful there has to be a oline that can block. They do not have to be stellar but they have to do well enough to make sure the backs can hit the holes and not have them collapse before they get there or one them(happened to us all year) and enough time for the QB to see the play. We have not had that all damn year! I never really thought about the oline that much because they are not a glamor position but that are the most important part of the team and this team made me wise to that fact!

ndpruitt03
11/24/2009, 01:45 AM
I agree Landry is not a great QB but he has shown signs he can be very good. I also agree that the short game would be suit him. That kind of scheme worked against us in the Miami game. That Miami QB was not very good at throwing the ball down field but he hit the underneath guys and they made us pay. To be honest though Landry has no time, even for a short game. Part of what helped Miami was the fact that those underneath guys had enough time to get a step on our guys or they were legally screened off by our own guys. Can you think of any time this year Landry has had enough time for a play to develop like that? Idaho State does not count and they even got to him in that game. For ANY team to be successful there has to be a oline that can block. They do not have to be stellar but they have to do well enough to make sure the backs can hit the holes and not have them collapse before they get there or one them(happened to us all year) and enough time for the QB to see the play. We have not had that all damn year! I never really thought about the oline that much because they are not a glamor position but that are the most important part of the team and this team made me wise to that fact!

Actually Landry has had time to throw the ball all year. Even with the injuries. He just doesn't make good throws down the field. His best passes are short ones. That's why I doubt he starts next year. It's the same reason why OU didn't want to go with Paul Thompson in 05 instead of Bomar. Bomar wasn't ready to play at the college level, hell he couldn't take snaps at the college level at first. He should have sat that year there's no doubt about it. But we wanted to have an offense that threw the ball down the field more, and Thompson has his strong points but he's not a deep ball passer. So we went with the young guy that wasn't ready he fumbled about 12 times or whatever and couldn't read coverages well but threw some good deep balls. Got better as the year went on. Landry can't throw the ball down the field but we never stayed with a short passing game long enough to get us a consistent offense on the season. We never stuck to a game plan especially outside of Owen Field and that killed his confidence. Maybe we are better off next year with Allen or Bell but the single mindedness of our coaches in not adjusting to what we have will get us beat again and again and again.

olevetonahill
11/24/2009, 01:48 AM
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-58429541199777_2078_9595288

SicEmBaylor
11/24/2009, 01:50 AM

I'm probably going to be negged for chiming in here, but declining a bowl bid is just about the most classless *** thing you could possibly do.

Seriously? You have a down season so you want Stoops to just take his ball and go home? There are a lot of teams around the country that rarely make it to bowls that would love an invite to even a lower-tiered bowl game. As much as I love OU (which is a lot), I'd like to think that OU hasn't become "too good" for anything but a top-tier/BCS bowl game.

This is just a horrible, stupid, and classless idea. It almost infuriates me.

Be thankful that your team has the opportunity to play in the post-season, support them, and demand better results next season. But refusing a bowl invitation because the bowl isn't good enough? Please...

Okie35
11/24/2009, 03:34 AM
Yep. OU can't turn down bowl invites, barring extraordinary circumstances. The Sun Bowl, Insight Bowl, etc. don't sign up for the left overs of the Big 12 without knowing those leftovers, on occassion, will include OU, Texas, Nebraska, etc.

Plus, we really, really need the practice.

That plus like someone said the seniors can go out on a little high note not as big as expected. Also, for me I don't back the conference during bowl season. I'd rather like to see other teams from the conference lose well at least the Whorns and the Pokes. Even if we ended up playing a crappy Big 10 team (http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls/projections)and win, a bowl win is still a bowl win. If the others lose and we win ours, despite our final record, I'll still talk trash to the losers. I'm petty I'll admit it.:D

olevetonahill
11/24/2009, 03:38 AM

Were you old enough to watch Football in 97 ?

King Barry's Back
11/24/2009, 03:46 AM
If anyone could prove to me that bowl games matter than I would agree. Bowl games only make the regular season meaningless. 5 loss teams should never go to a bowl game.

How are they going to fill up all those bowl games? Or do we just cut a few games this year, because you don't like 7-5 teams playing in a bowl game?

Have you thought about how ridiculous that is?

King Barry's Back
11/24/2009, 05:29 AM
The 80s were a different time, and our coaches adjusted to our talent back then. Heck in midseason in 85 we went from the I formation to triple option in midseason won a national title.

No, we freaking did not. We ran the I-formation in 1983 when we had Marcus Dupree. After he quit the team, Coach Switzer decided to switch back to the offense he loves, the 'bone.

If I recall, the switch was made before spring ball in 1984, however for sure, we ran nothing but the bone in 1985.

The "switch" you are referring to is that Troy Aikman had a season ending injury and a wishbone wizard came in off the bench. We didn't change offenses mid-stream and win the national title.

That would be almost impossible. Nobody would even know what to do. It would take time for them to learn their roles.

Teams that switch in the middle of the season are basically writing off championship hopes, normally because they are already losing and decided to start building to next year.

King Barry's Back
11/24/2009, 06:10 AM
That plus like someone said the seniors can go out on a little high note not as big as expected. Also, for me I don't back the conference during bowl season. I'd rather like to see other teams from the conference lose well at least the Whorns and the Pokes. Even if we ended up playing a crappy Big 10 team (http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls/projections)and win, a bowl win is still a bowl win. If the others lose and we win ours, despite our final record, I'll still talk trash to the losers. I'm petty I'll admit it.:D

Yeah, The Insight Bowl against Minnesota! That's the ticket. That's just the kind of match up we need.

Far better than USC. Far. Far. Better.

MamaMia
11/24/2009, 07:15 AM
I've read none of the above posts yet but I'd just like to say that I don't believe we should ever decline a Bowl offer, however humble the bowl. We could use the bucks and the players like to play. It gives the new players some added experience on the field and any kind of exposure could help our recruiting effort. Those trophies, no matter where they come from, look mighty good showcased in the Switzer Center.

adoniijahsooner
11/24/2009, 07:58 AM
I think the only time a bowl should be declined, is when you have an incident like South Carolina and Clemson a few years back.

CU Sooner
11/24/2009, 09:01 AM
Now I know what it takes to receive a nuclear neg bomb.:O

NorthernIowaSooner
11/24/2009, 09:24 AM
I have a problem with the entire bowl system we have right now and how it makes college football mean nothing. I remember when 4 and 5 loss teams didn't go to bowl games because they weren't good enough. You have to actually earn a bowl. Now you don't have to. It's stupid to play bad and get a bowl game. You should earn a bowl. 4 and 5 loss teams don't earn bowl games.

i volunteer you to go tell ryan reynolds, who gave 5 years and both his knees to this program and has to miss senior night with an injury, that he doesnt get to play in a bowl game because they didnt "earn" a bowl in your opinion.

SGT Park3R
11/24/2009, 09:26 AM

I'm so glad you posted this before 2010 came around.

It can officically contend for the 'stupidest post of 2009 award'.

Great job.:mad:

soonerhubs
11/24/2009, 09:44 AM
Does anyone still have that picture of NickZeppelin that said, "Stop Feeding the Troll."?
It feels like he's come back with a vengeance in this thread.

OU4LIFE
11/24/2009, 11:10 AM
If i'm a recruit looking at coming to OU, and they decline a bowl invite.....I'm certainly not thinking 'Wow, now there's a program that respects itself and demands more from it's players'.

I'm thinking 'wow, that team had countless injuries and the players played their hearts out every chance they could, and they are being penalized for it? Florida, here I come'

ndpruitt03
11/24/2009, 11:13 AM
i volunteer you to go tell ryan reynolds, who gave 5 years and both his knees to this program and has to miss senior night with an injury, that he doesnt get to play in a bowl game because they didnt "earn" a bowl in your opinion.

I'm for the regular season meaning more so Bowl games shouldn't be given out to 5 loss teams. That shows you there are far to many bowls. There should be about 20 bowls max not about 30 like there are this year. 20 is probably way too many also. There really needs to be about 15 bowls. You can't tell me that bowls make the regular season matter more than a playoff and then having 30 bowls making that point pretty much muted. The college football regular season means nothing because of the bowls now.

setem
11/24/2009, 11:45 AM
ND,

You honestly think Landry was able to put everything he had into the games he played? By saying Landry had plenty of time is pretty much saying the o-line has done its job this year and you cant honestly say they did anything that might resemble blocking. I do not know what games you were watching this year but Landry could not find any comfort behind that oline and that is why he made the majority of the mistakes he has. Besides that fact you want to give up on a bowl game I was starting agree with some of the things you said but you are crazy if you think Landry was put in a situation that would allow for him to succeed. Sam was doing to same things against BYU and it was because he had no time to think of get set to make his reads.

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2009, 12:47 PM
... The college football regular season means nothing because of the bowls now.

College football is an entertainment product and "meaning" is defined by those being entertained. Clearly, you are not entertained but there is obviously a large audience that disagrees.

rawlingsHOH
11/24/2009, 12:53 PM
I'm for the regular season meaning more so Bowl games shouldn't be given out to 5 loss teams. That shows you there are far to many bowls. There should be about 20 bowls max not about 30 like there are this year. 20 is probably way too many also. There really needs to be about 15 bowls. You can't tell me that bowls make the regular season matter more than a playoff and then having 30 bowls making that point pretty much muted. The college football regular season means nothing because of the bowls now.

That's a new one.

Crucifax Autumn
11/24/2009, 01:30 PM
It's opposite day!

soonerborn45
11/24/2009, 01:55 PM

You got it totally backa$$wards. With the bowl system it makes every game matter. The more wins you have the better bowl game you get to go to. In a playoff you would have teams not playing their hardest late in the season because they are trying to avoid injuries. Look at the NFL, when a team has a guranteed spot and they have say homefield advantage for the playoffs then they don't play their best players to avoid getting them hurt. There are 30 bowls because there are 120 teams that are eligible to play for them.

ndpruitt03
11/24/2009, 02:06 PM
You got it totally backa$$wards. With the bowl system it makes every game matter. The more wins you have the better bowl game you get to go to. In a playoff you would have teams not playing their hardest late in the season because they are trying to avoid injuries. Look at the NFL, when a team has a guranteed spot and they have say homefield advantage for the playoffs then they don't play their best players to avoid getting them hurt. There are 30 bowls because there are 120 teams that are eligible to play for them.

The problem is that too many teams have bowls now. There are really only 5 bowl games that matter the rest are the same as far as I'm concerned. There's no real difference between the Cotton Bowl and the Weedeater Bowl, they all mean nothing. If there were about 15 or 20 bowls where only good teams go to bowls and then there's a difference in the top 5 or 6 bowls then it matters. Now there's meaningless bowl January Bowl games like the Humanitarian Bowl. It wasn't long ago where only the top bowl games were played in January now that's not even true anymore. We need to go back to having about 20 bowls where you have the 11 or 12 conference champs and then the other 28 spots go to the highest ranked at large teams.

What other college sport has 50% of all their teams playing in the post season? College Basketball doesn't, neither does college baseball.

TUSooner
11/24/2009, 02:15 PM
Tell me what game has any "meaning" in any cosmic sense, like, compared to seeing your mom dying in a hospital. Tell me how any game can NOT have meaning if someone wants to watch it or play it or enjoy.
What does a game "mean" anyway? To me, Game 7 of an NBA Final has less meaning than a regular seasn high school soccer game between rivals. Yeah I know that meanig is a flexible term and things are all relative. But meaning is external, not intrinsic. It's something we place on things. So I object on philosophical grounds when people call games meaningless.

WTF did I just say? :confused: :eek: :confused:

Carry on; I'm going back to my meaningful work and away from this meaningless innerweb blathering, :D

King Barry's Back
11/24/2009, 02:21 PM
This guy is clearly somebody's troll, but he keeps at it and has brought up some very well thought out ridiculous arguments, so I'll give him two thumbs up!

And, just for the record, you DO NOT decline a bowl bid. That would be rude and create a mess for the bowl that picked you because it would be too late to choose somebody else and they'd be stuck with Northern Illinois or something.

What you do is, in advance of bowl selection day, you let it be known that your team won't be accepting any bowl bids this year. Then none are offered, and nobody has to say no or be embarrassed.

ndpruitt03
11/24/2009, 02:21 PM
Tell me what game has any "meaning" in any cosmic sense, like, compared to seeing your mom dying in a hospital. Tell me how any game can NOT have meaning if someone wants to watch it or play it or enjoy.
What does a game "mean" anyway? To me, Game 7 of an NBA Final has less meaning than a regular seasn high school soccer game between rivals. Yeah I know that meanig is a flexible term and things are all relative. But meaning is external, not intrinsic. It's something we place on things. So I object on philosophical grounds when people call games meaningless.

Carry on; I'm going back to my meaningful work and away from this meaningless innerweb blathering, :D

Look how OU's played in some of the BCS games like it didn't matter and that's the top teir bowl games. You think there's really a difference from say the Holliday Bowl to the Little Cesar's bowl?

fadada1
11/24/2009, 02:22 PM
turning down a bowl game makes about as much sense as a football bat.

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2009, 02:32 PM

Me thinks you are way over his head. Reminds me of the board room in "The Meaning of Life" where the discussion is about the meaning of life, but the executive wants to go back to the subject of why people are not buying enough hats.

soonerborn45
11/24/2009, 05:05 PM
The problem is that too many teams have bowls now. There are really only 5 bowl games that matter the rest are the same as far as I'm concerned. There's no real difference between the Cotton Bowl and the Weedeater Bowl, they all mean nothing. If there were about 15 or 20 bowls where only good teams go to bowls and then there's a difference in the top 5 or 6 bowls then it matters. Now there's meaningless bowl January Bowl games like the Humanitarian Bowl. It wasn't long ago where only the top bowl games were played in January now that's not even true anymore. We need to go back to having about 20 bowls where you have the 11 or 12 conference champs and then the other 28 spots go to the highest ranked at large teams.

What other college sport has 50% of all their teams playing in the post season? College Basketball doesn't, neither does college baseball.

You just don't get it do you? Football is the highest grossing revenue for the NCAA. They have that many bowls now because of the amazing cash flow the schools, conferences, and the NCAA get for putting them on. If you went down to 20 bowls all that is doing is losing money. By having 30 you are expanding and generating more money. So what if most bowls don't have the prestige of the Rose, Orange, Sugar, or Fiesta bowls. It's all about the $$$$$$$$. You mean to tell me that you want OU to turn down say a Sun Bowl appearance just because it's not a BCS bowl. Do you know that the Sun Bowl has been around before the Sugar bowl and has almost a 2 million dollar payout? Oh yeah college sports do have lower number of teams in the post season. Baseball has about a fourth and basketball has about a third, but pro postseasons dont they all have almost half of their teams going to the post season as well.

ndpruitt03
11/24/2009, 05:10 PM
You just don't get it do you? Football is the highest grossing revenue for the NCAA. They have that many bowls now because of the amazing cash flow the schools, conferences, and the NCAA get for putting them on. If you went down to 20 bowls all that is doing is losing money. By having 30 you are expanding and generating more money. So what if most bowls don't have the prestige of the Rose, Orange, Sugar, or Fiesta bowls. It's all about the $$$$$$$$. You mean to tell me that you want OU to turn down say a Sun Bowl appearance just because it's not a BCS bowl. Do you know that the Sun Bowl has been around before the Sugar bowl and has almost a 2 million dollar payout?
Who says get rid of the Sun Bowl? I think we should get rid of the Bowl, the Humanitarian Bowl, New Mexico Bowl, St Pete Bowl, Poinsetta Bowl, Las Vegas Bowl, etc, etc. There's no reason for a conference to have 8 bowl tie ins when that conference shouldn't have more than 4 or 5 teams. Make the bowls mean more and the regular season means a lot more. For OU right now this game against OSU means nothing. They still go to a bowl game about the same level win or lose.

soonerborn45
11/24/2009, 05:17 PM
Who says get rid of the Sun Bowl? I think we should get rid of the Bowl, the Humanitarian Bowl, New Mexico Bowl, St Pete Bowl, Poinsetta Bowl, Las Vegas Bowl, etc, etc. There's no reason for a conference to have 8 bowl tie ins when that conference shouldn't have more than 4 or 5 teams. Make the bowls mean more and the regular season means a lot more. For OU right now this game against OSU means nothing. They still go to a bowl game about the same level win or lose.

No they don't. Win still an outside shot at the Holiday bowl but probably sun Bowl. Lose insight bowl, independence bowl, or texas bowl. There is a huge difference betweent those games. You just don't like the bowls because of the names huh. It's like i said earlier, its all about the MONEY!!!!

Scott D
11/24/2009, 05:20 PM
I wonder how many times and new names a person has to come back under before they finally get a message that they aren't wanted around.

I can't believe there are still people arguing for turning down a bowl bid.

soonerborn45
11/24/2009, 05:22 PM
the guys a jacka$$ what do you expect. He wants to do away with the bowls because the names aren't up to his liking

ndpruitt03
11/24/2009, 05:30 PM
the guys a jacka$$ what do you expect. He wants to do away with the bowls because the names aren't up to his liking

I want to do away with bowls for one reason. There are 120 teams in Div 1a

60 teams go to a bowl game. That's 50% of all teams playing college football. I'm sorry but half the teams in college football shouldn't go to a bowl game. That's too many. You can schedule 3 bad teams and win 3 games in conference and go to a bowl game if you are a big 12 team. Iowa State is bowl eligible right now. They did beat Nebraska, but their other wins are against Army, Baylor, Colorado, North Dakota State, and Kent State. Do they really deserve to go to a bowl just because they won one freakish game?

Scott D
11/24/2009, 05:31 PM
I think your posts are terrible, and I think you should accept a bid to no longer post to message boards.

ndpruitt03
11/24/2009, 05:44 PM
No they don't. Win still an outside shot at the Holiday bowl but probably sun Bowl. Lose insight bowl, independence bowl, or texas bowl. There is a huge difference betweent those games. You just don't like the bowls because of the names huh. It's like i said earlier, its all about the MONEY!!!!

If there were less bowls then it would be win and they get money lose and they get none that would mean a lot more than winning 1 million vs 2 million, or whatever the actual prices are, which we split with the rest of the conference if I'm not mistaken.

soonerborn45
11/24/2009, 05:56 PM
No if texas wins a bowl we dont get a share, the conference itself gets the share of the money. Look if you haven't noticed your the only idiot on this board saying that OU shouldn't accept a bowl just because they lost 5 games. Iowa State has played a long season just like everyone else in the country. No matter who you play the season is long and if you win 6 games and get selected to go play a bowl game it is a reward for a long hard season. You honestly want to take away the experience of a bowl game from the players just because you think there are too many bowls. Get a life. If you are a true fan you will be happy with whatever bowl OU gets because of a season like this it will be nice to be rewarded. Jacka$$

adoniijahsooner
11/24/2009, 06:28 PM
Wow! You guys are really coming down hard on him for something that has been done before in college football, including Barry Switzer. I remember Notre Dame turned down a bowl game when they had a mediocre season.

I think we should go, but I also understand the perspective that you shouldnt pass with 50 or 60 percent. We live in a world where you cant grade a child's homework in red ink, because their confidence may be destroyed.

Scott D
11/24/2009, 07:11 PM
In the current shape that Notre Dame is in, they shouldn't even turn down a bid from the Nissan.com Japan Bowl played in Kyoto, Japan against a Division 3 opponent.

BTW, right now I hear ND is only favored by 2.5 in that matchup.

If you want to compare things to ND, I'm willing. They're likely losing their NBC contract soon (because of Comcast), Despite their delusions that they can still be an elite program as things stand at the current time, they'll be forced to join a conference for survival purposes soon.

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2009, 08:04 PM
Going to a bowl is also a conference obligation under the current system. The conference provides a format such that the winner gets a BCS bid and possible title bid. If you don't win, but are bowl eligible it's like being on kitchen duty if it's a really minor bowl. If you're willing to accept the rewards of winning the conference, then you sign up for kitchen duty if you don't. If you don't like that system, then don't join a conference. You can argue there are too many bowls, but that is not a knob you control.