PDA

View Full Version : 11/20 was Kick a Ginger Day . . . who is responsible?

Jacie
11/23/2009, 08:09 AM
In 2005, there was an episode of South Park titled, "Ginger Kids." If you haven't seen it, Cartman, the fat one, gives a report at school that outlines how red-haired, freckled kids are inferior to others. The show has been cited as inspiring a Vancouver teenager to put up a page on Facebook proclaiming November 20 as "Kick a Ginger Day." Across Canada and the U.S., dozens of assaults on red-haired kids occurred that day. Though the teen said it was just a joke, the RCMP take cyber bullying seriously and are investigating.

Should the creators of South Park be held responsible in any way for the events of November 20th? What if this thing takes on a life of it's own and is observed every year? South Park isn't the first television show to push the First Amendment to the limit but does anyone feel they went too far or perhaps should pull this episode from being shown in reruns (I saw it just this week)?

OUHOMER
11/23/2009, 08:34 AM
So, if i start a facebook page and tell 5000 people to jump off a cliff, 30 of them do it and get killed or injured. Should I go to jail?

PhilTLL
11/23/2009, 10:38 AM
So, if i start a facebook page and tell 5000 people to jump off a cliff, 30 of them do it and get killed or injured. Should I go to jail?

Actually, in those exact circumstances I would say yes, there's a decent chance you should/would go to prison. Then again, if Trey Parker & Matt Stone had actually started this facebook group, I would say the same thing. They merely fell victim to the satirist's scourge--misguided audience member takes work literally. This is like blaming Jonathan Swift for a baby-eating incident.

soonerboomer93
11/23/2009, 06:29 PM
so what you're saying is, we missed the chance to beat on someone like they're a red headed step child?

SicEmBaylor
11/23/2009, 06:33 PM
I love the red headed wimmins. The guys...ehh not so much.

Viking Kitten
11/23/2009, 06:41 PM
Should the Beatles have been held responsible for Charles Manson killing a bunch of people after listening to Helter Skelter?

royalfan5
11/23/2009, 06:42 PM
I think it's pretty obvious the Gingers are responsible for this.

Frozen Sooner
11/23/2009, 06:46 PM
In 2005, there was an episode of South Park titled, "Ginger Kids." If you haven't seen it, Cartman, the fat one, gives a report at school that outlines how red-haired, freckled kids are inferior to others. The show has been cited as inspiring a Vancouver teenager to put up a page on Facebook proclaiming November 20 as "Kick a Ginger Day." Across Canada and the U.S., dozens of assaults on red-haired kids occurred that day. Though the teen said it was just a joke, the RCMP take cyber bullying seriously and are investigating.

Should the creators of South Park be held responsible in any way for the events of November 20th? What if this thing takes on a life of it's own and is observed every year? South Park isn't the first television show to push the First Amendment to the limit but does anyone feel they went too far or perhaps should pull this episode from being shown in reruns (I saw it just this week)?

Haven't seen the episode. Did Parker and Stone actively incite people to assault people with red hair or simply depict people doing so?

No civil or criminal liability attaches for copycat crimes as a general rule.

Crucifax Autumn
11/23/2009, 07:13 PM
I personally don't think it's anyone's fault but the morons that would actually follow a directive from some moron on Facebook.

Anyone dumb enough to go out and assault random redheads has no one to blame but themselves.

StoopTroup
11/23/2009, 07:44 PM
The redheads had it comin?

dIm1UQy_Mg8

StoopTroup
11/23/2009, 07:47 PM
Should Blondes sue for being stereotyped as stupid and being a easy lay?

btk108
11/23/2009, 07:52 PM

ohhhhh..yer in trouble now...I see mrs ST sneaking up behind you

StoopTroup
11/23/2009, 08:05 PM
:D

She was using whiteout on a word document the other day. I need to clean my monitor.

btk108
11/23/2009, 08:09 PM
*LOL*

crawfish
11/24/2009, 11:01 AM
I love the red headed wimmins. The guys...ehh not so much.

Personally, I feel that way regardless of hair color. ;)

soonerbrat
11/25/2009, 09:59 AM

:mad:

badger
11/25/2009, 12:45 PM
For you Harry Potter fans out there...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n4yvY6vqFO0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n4yvY6vqFO0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

King Barry's Back
11/26/2009, 07:42 AM
Legal liability is one thing, and I don't think the South Park should have any. As stated above, they didn't designate 20 Nov as a day to beat up "ginger kids," some internet freak did. He's the responsible party.

But moral responsibility is something else. It would depend on the episode, which I haven't seen.

Alright, Cartmen endorses abusing/blaiming "gingers." What happens the rest of the way? Did the plot of the episode appear to imply that this was a rational and sound course of action endorsed by the show's producers, or were people holding that view kind of ridiculed because it's stupid?

It's like if you make a show about Nazis being clumsy, stupid oafs, you don't really carry much responsibility for some sub-zeros being inspired to join the NeoNazis.

At least in my view.

King Crimson
11/26/2009, 07:57 AM
it's always easier to just blame the media or TV. in a nation that prides itself on individual liberty and personal choice....it's always deeply ironic to see the awesome powers ascribed to whatever is on TV to *determine* behaviors and automatically produce deviance. the so called magic bullet theory. tell them to buy peanut butter, they buy peanut butter.

done the red head thing. good while it lasted, but gal was vain as the day is long.

StoopTroup
11/26/2009, 09:11 AM
I blame the last person that kicked a Ginger.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2009, 09:36 AM
Legal liability is one thing, and I don't think the South Park should have any. As stated above, they didn't designate 20 Nov as a day to beat up "ginger kids," some internet freak did. He's the responsible party.

But moral responsibility is something else. It would depend on the episode, which I haven't seen.

Alright, Cartmen endorses abusing/blaiming "gingers." What happens the rest of the way? Did the plot of the episode appear to imply that this was a rational and sound course of action endorsed by the show's producers, or were people holding that view kind of ridiculed because it's stupid?

It's like if you make a show about Nazis being clumsy, stupid oafs, you don't really carry much responsibility for some sub-zeros being inspired to join the NeoNazis.

At least in my view.

I just watched the episode.

Cartman (as always) was portrayed as a hypocritical idiot for his racist/hairist/whatever views. Anyone with two neurons to rub together would understand they weren't endorsing Cartman's behavior.

StoopTroup
11/26/2009, 09:38 AM
Yep...but maybe not anyone....most people though. Aggies are probably gonna try and kick us Gingers Saturday. We should probably sue them. :D

btk108
11/26/2009, 09:40 AM
ST....you first thought they said LICK a Ginger, didnt'you?

StoopTroup
11/26/2009, 09:42 AM
Only if I had Dick Quiche.

GottaHavePride
11/26/2009, 02:57 PM
I blame 04.

:D