PDA

View Full Version : I think given the fact Landry was thrust into playing as a freshman...

Soonerus
11/22/2009, 11:42 PM
he has performed pretty well and could be a very good QB at OU...

Sasakwa
11/22/2009, 11:57 PM
I think that given the fact that he has had to deal with all the OL issues, he's performed pretty well and could be good if he gets some consistent help from the OL.

Soonerus
11/22/2009, 11:59 PM
Could also be good if he learns not to lock on one receiver and places the ball more receiver friendly...

SoonerPr8r
11/23/2009, 12:02 AM
^this

GKeeper316
11/23/2009, 12:17 AM
na screw that. all these ****ers should know this is oklahoma. you get a chance to play, you play your heart out or get the **** off the field so someone else will.

we give up on the road when we're down.

it shouldn't matter if we lose a guy before the season even starts, or 2 or even 4 like we did this year. it shouldn't matter if we lose a heisman trophy winning qb in the first half of our first game.

the guy sitting on the bench should be approaching every single day trying to outperform the guy ahead of him on the depth chart... cuz then HE'S the guy all the fans and media talk, post and blog about.

Collier11
11/23/2009, 12:20 AM
Considering the circumstances, Landry has done really well. We were all spoiled by how well Sam played as a fresh, if Landry had that O-line he likely would be playin alot better.

nighttrain12
11/23/2009, 12:21 AM
His record in games that he took the majority of snaps is 5-5. That is never acceptable at OU. The QB spot should have a wide open competition for next season.

Soonerus
11/23/2009, 12:24 AM
His record in games that he took the majority of snaps is 5-5. That is never acceptable at OU. The QB spot should have a wide open competition for next season.

State the obvious...like Landry's performances have locked down the QB position for the next 3 years...

Collier11
11/23/2009, 12:25 AM
and it will be, Stoops has already said so. Thats not the point of the thread if you would read it

King Barry's Back
11/23/2009, 01:26 AM
Yeah, as a fan, I've been pretty frustrated with LJ's play. Then I thought about Troy Aikman.

His true freshman season, he was thrown into a game at Kansas. He wasn't ready, the coaching staff implemented a very conservative game plan, he looked bad, and we lost.

He went on to be a pretty good college QB, dontcha think?

His first year in Dallas, his team went 1-15, and he didn't play in the one game that the Cowboys won.

He had some bad fumbles, threw few TDs and a lot of picks.

He turned out to be a pretty good NFL QB, dontcha think?

Point is, jury is still out on Landry Jones. He's shown some flashes of talent in between running for his life. He'll get better. Let's give him a chance.

Soonerus
11/23/2009, 02:00 AM
Yeah, as a fan, I've been pretty frustrated with LJ's play. Then I thought about Troy Aikman.

His true freshman season, he was thrown into a game at Kansas. He wasn't ready, the coaching staff implemented a very conservative game plan, he looked bad, and we lost.

He went on to be a pretty good college QB, dontcha think?

His first year in Dallas, his team went 1-15, and he didn't play in the one game that the Cowboys won.

He had some bad fumbles, threw few TDs and a lot of picks.

He turned out to be a pretty good NFL QB, dontcha think?

Point is, jury is still out on Landry Jones. He's shown some flashes of talent in between running for his life. He'll get better. Let's give him a chance.

Aikman went 0-13 in the game at Kansas.....

btk108
11/23/2009, 02:17 AM
I think Landry has done ok, but has a long way to go. I do remember another freshman who was thrust into THE game in 01 and stepped up. That's the kind of guy we need as a backup.

pappy
11/23/2009, 04:16 AM

Every position should have a wide open competition, every year.

Crucifax Autumn
11/23/2009, 05:14 AM
I completely agree with that. It makes whoever does end up in the backup role more prepared if something happens and also makes them hungry for playing time.

That said, if someone beats out Landry this Spring that means we'll have one hell of a backup ready to step in for the first time in a long time.

zeke
11/23/2009, 06:33 AM
Considering the O-line and the dropped balls Landry has been pretty good.

Obviously Sam would have done better, but with the team that is on the field now his numbers would pale in comparison to last year. IMO

swardboy
11/23/2009, 08:54 AM
Such a different scenario this year: In spring practice LJ "knew" he would be the backup QB this fall. While he's aware that Sam could go down anytime in the violent sport called football, he's still "backup" in his mind. This spring he's the "2nd year starter"...in his mind. I think the upgrade in performance from year one to year two will be phenomenal, as is usually the case for QB's.

Any push he gets from competition only helps...

Collier11
11/23/2009, 09:42 AM
That said, if someone beats out Landry this Spring that means we'll have one hell of a backup ready to step in for the first time in a long time.

THIS

Considering the O-line and the dropped balls Landry has been pretty good.

Obviously Sam would have done better, but with the team that is on the field now his numbers would pale in comparison to last year. IMO

and THIS

Such a different scenario this year: In spring practice LJ "knew" he would be the backup QB this fall. While he's aware that Sam could go down anytime in the violent sport called football, he's still "backup" in his mind. This spring he's the "2nd year starter"...in his mind. I think the upgrade in performance from year one to year two will be phenomenal, as is usually the case for QB's.

Any push he gets from competition only helps...

and especially THIS

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 09:45 AM
Landry has done fine.

Collier11
11/23/2009, 09:47 AM
Leads the league in TDs, near 60% completion % despite a bunch of drops and a patch work O-line, id say he is alright. He obviously needs to get better but he will be fine

kustang619
11/23/2009, 09:52 AM
Landry has player really well in Norman, but has struggled on the road. I'm not going to bash him because I could do NO better...There are a couple of things that frustrate me though...I don't understand why he stares down every reciever...I wish that he would go through more of his reads...I also get tired of the ball being thrown behind the recievers...I know that a lot of time he has to get rid of the ball earlier than he would like because of that fabulous O line that we have...But when he HAS TIME, he needs to step up in the pocket and make an accurate throw...This has to be a great learning experience for him and I hope he grows from this and develops more this spring...

setem
11/23/2009, 09:53 AM
You guys also have to take in account that even though he may not be pressured 100% of the time he still have a lot going against him. I don't think anyone can play very well when you can't ever get comfortable. Sam had it easy(not taking anything away from him) but he was able to find some comfort behind a OK line. Landry has never had any comfy days. He was even pressured against Idaho State. Would you be able to play well if you constantly thought you were 1 play away from being in a sling?

We all saw how well Sam did against BYU, he wasn't exactly lighting up the scoreboard. So the expect Landry to be top flight playing behind that POS is asking just a bit to much!

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 09:56 AM
Landry has player really well in Norman, but has struggled on the road.
Apples to oranges here, on multiple levels, but our 2007 road games; Colorado, Iowa State, Texas Tech.

OU4LIFE
11/23/2009, 10:08 AM
Would we be better if Sam was still behind center, sure.

Would we be better if Sam had to spend the season behind 4 new starters and a walk-on at center?

doubt it.

Landry has been great considering his lack of experience. Looks very similar to Sam in his first outings. Took Sam a while to develop his touch too.

Collier11
11/23/2009, 10:11 AM
He doesnt go through his reads and he often throws behind or over receivers for a couple of reasons, 1) The oline has made him gun shy 2) He is a Freshman

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 10:24 AM
Would we be better if Sam was still behind center, sure.

Would we be better if Sam had to spend the season behind 4 new starters and a walk-on at center?

doubt it.

Landry has been great considering his lack of experience. Looks very similar to Sam in his first outings. Took Sam a while to develop his touch too.

I think or W/L record would be a LOT better (Sam probably turns some of those close losses into wins), but in actuality I think we'd be a similar team. Just with a prettier record.

Collier11
11/23/2009, 10:29 AM
we would probably be 8-3 or 9-2 but you are right, we wouldnt look that good doing it