PDA

View Full Version : JUCO OL HELP

TXBOOMER
11/22/2009, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know if we have offers out to any, if so how many? I saw some of you guys talking about some kids from Blinn. Does anyone know their status or any others. Thanks!

Soonerus
11/22/2009, 11:40 PM
don't know...

Collier11
11/23/2009, 10:46 AM
I know that one of the big time Juco recruits is seriously looking at us, I cant remember his name right now though

TXBOOMER
11/23/2009, 01:09 PM
Roszell Gayden 6-7 310 OT College of the Sequoises.
Doesn't sound like he is overwhelmed with our offer from the stuff Scout has.
I just don't see how we make any big improvement in this line without JUCO help. Not to mention total lack of depth. Frustrating.

Collier11
11/23/2009, 01:24 PM
well keep in mind a bunch of guys that have played this year, Good, Jeffries, Habern, Evans,etc... are really young. You have to think they will get better, hopefully

TXBOOMER
11/23/2009, 02:04 PM
You are right and I'm right there with you as far as being hopefule they get better. They are young, it just seemed to me in the past our young OL have made noticable improvements throughout the year. I have not seen that this year. That probably has a lot to do with the injuries and inexperience at the skill positions. But that makes too much sense :)

Collier11
11/23/2009, 02:07 PM
this is the only season under Stoops where we havent gotten better, that is why it is so hard to swallow for so many fans

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2009, 04:17 PM
this is the only season under Stoops where we havent gotten better, that is why it is so hard to swallow for so many fans

I agree, but the injury situation is not like any other year under Stoops. We all get tired of hearing about it, but that doesn't make it less true. Of all the units on a football team, it seems the O-line play as one is the most important. We haven't had an O-line lineup to even point at this year for any significant time. It doesn't mean they would have been good if the same 5 guys started all year, it just means we don't know. But we recruited all these guys, so my bet is they would have gotten much better.

My surprise has been the disappointing performance of the receivers. I understand young guys missing assignments sometimes or having trouble getting separation against a good CB. I just don't understand dropping the ball when you are open and the QB makes a good throw.

Collier11
11/23/2009, 04:24 PM
Oh I agree, ive been one of the few trying to be realistic through all the crazies running around, it has been a tough year on several different aspects

Its like some of the fans dont think that Stoops isnt going to closely examine all of the issues that we are having from dropped passed to injuries to run blocking and on down the line

boomersooner28
11/23/2009, 07:11 PM
It's kinda scary for these kids to think about coming to OU because with the way things are going it seems like if you put on an OU jersey your leg falls off immediately. :(

goingoneight
11/24/2009, 05:39 PM
Receivers and line play can generally be blamed for Sam's injury and a few of the stinkers Landry's thrown out there.

Think about this for a minute:
Young, inexperienced line we all heard and knew would have to catch a lot of breaks to get better. Instead, they've suffered injuries to every lineman out there. That hinders improvement when you're never playing 100% healthy.

The projected lineup every week has been different out of necessity, rather than just because it's open competition. Had we still a 100% healthy Williams, Simmons, Habern, Good and Jones all season long with a couple top reserves, Nebraska and Tech might have been a far different story.

Returning for sure in 2010 will be (hopefully) a hungry, healthy and improved:

Jeff Vinson (redshirting)
Donald Stephenson (suspended by Stoops)
Habern (Back, leg)
Evans (ankle)
Jones (knee)
Jeffries (2nd-year JUCO guy)

If anything, the off-season will be a period of re-focusing and improving, whilst healing as well. We'll also see Aledanoye, possibly Bronson Irwin and the young guys will ust have to know definitively that we need them to grow up early. I agree that JUCO help will address the losses of Kooke, Alex Williams, Jason Hannan and the departing seniors. Will it solve the problem? Not likely. Can we be much worse returning all of this experience? Doubtedly. 60ppg? Be realistic. Moving the chains and protecting the QB is where you start.

Also agreed on the WR corps being the biggest disappointment. We knew the O-Line had issues... the WRs should have been better by now. Especially Tennell.

WR corps returns:
(hopefully) Ryan Broyles... but I think by watching him, his mannerisms and his skill that he's NFL-bound, ala Reggie Smith.

DeJuan Miller has been VERY close to emerging as a primary receiver. OUr OL and QB issues have hindered his development.

Jameel Owens... will he stick around with Tennell gone and Caleb proving to be inconsistent? He's a guy that with an off-season of work has all the tools to turn it around. Much like a Quentin Chaney or DJ Wolfe.

Jaz Reynolds I honestly feel like he's gonna be a good target and is still getting a feel for the game much like Iglesias and Manny Johnson in 2005. His best may be yet to come when he catches on.

Darius White, can you hear this?

Collier11
11/24/2009, 05:48 PM
Quick correction, Caleb was our 2nd best receiver before he got hurt, he hasnt been inconsistent, he just hasnt been playing

sooner59
11/25/2009, 02:55 AM
I see great things ahead for Miller. I am very hopeful for Jaz. Not that excited about Caleb. On the edge of my seat with this White deal.

Times like these make me feel even worse for Corey Wilson. The poor guy had his legs taken from him. And he would be getting his chance right now. I still pray for the guy.

IronHorseSooner
11/25/2009, 10:03 AM
Times like these make me feel even worse for Corey Wilson. The poor guy had his legs taken from him. And he would be getting his chance right now. I still pray for the guy.

The WR corps and the OL, more than anywhere else on the field, have been dessimated by injuries, transfers, and guys just missing. Some often forget that Corey Wilson was going to be a good receiver, and then he unfortunately had the accident. Add Owens's lack of focus and Jarboe getting canned, and there goes that recruiting class of receivers. The other guys (Miller, Kenney, and Jaz) are still learning. Caleb was never really recruited to be a go-to guy. I doubt that Broyles goes pro; he's just as frustrated as anyone else. He will need another year without injury.

The same can be said of the OL. Three transfers (Kooke, Hannan, A. Williams), two with off-the-field issues (Stephenson, Jeffries), three are playing injured (Habern, Evans, T-Will), three are out for the year (Jones, Simmons, and Eldridge), two more were redshirted to get into shape (Vinson and Alandoye), one more playing out of position (Brandon was recruited as a LT prospect), and Lepak is an undersized transfer. The rest are walk ons.

There is no wonder the WR and OL positions are a mess. However, the type of physical training that these guys get needs to be evaluated. Too many guys are getting injured while they are here, and even when they leave here for the NFL. Just look at how many of these guys are injured, or who have had shortened careers due to injury. Again, I'm no expert, but it does warrant research.

SOONER STEAKER
11/26/2009, 11:02 AM
I understand everyone's frustration with the young players and the mistakes they are making on the field. Growing pains are tough, and seeing our team struggle is even worse but from time to time all teams struggle.

I know the staff will work these kids into the type of players we are used to seeing at OU. I can only imagine that spring practice will be very exciting and competitive.

Happy Turkey day to all!!

Sooner Gobbles to All.

Let's kick some AGGIE but and send them boys back to Stillwater with a "LOSS"

Big D Sooner
12/16/2009, 06:29 PM
Roszell Gayden picks Auburn... damn again.

soonerguild
12/17/2009, 09:32 AM
I really don't see why a juco OL or WR doesn't want to come here. We have enough talent that will less bad luck than last year( there is no way it could ever be worse) and a few pieces here and there we can compete for a NC.

Go to auburn and be middle of the sec

Come to OU with almost guanenteed playing time and compete for CC and NC

Good choice Gayden, good luck sir.

Widescreen
12/17/2009, 10:30 AM
I really think a lot of it may have to do with Schmitty's reputation. You get even one guy on the team saying anything negative about Schmitty and it's going to give an OL some concerns. Could be wrong, but I think that's a factor.

goingoneight
12/17/2009, 05:56 PM
^^^ Then we don't want the kids who expect to loaf around. Great prospects are few and far between. I'd rather he have a reputation as a drill instructor than a hugs and handshaker.

jdsooner
1/2/2010, 01:59 AM
What is the word on John Cullen out of Fullerton, California?

soonermagic14
1/2/2010, 09:15 AM
Yes, Cullen is the junior college guy i was trying to think of. He's trying to decide between us, tennessee and a few other schools. he is something like a 4 star tackle 6'6 275 lb guy.

soonermagic14
1/2/2010, 11:01 AM
the # 1 rated high school recruit is an OL from Minnesota...Seantrel Henderson, 6'9 300 lbs and plays basketball too. He is looking at OU- he has to see that he could come in and have a really good chance to play as a freshmen...maybe even start.

stoopified
1/7/2010, 03:40 PM
this is the only season under Stoops where we havent gotten better, that is why it is so hard to swallow for so many fansI completely disagree.How can you say we didn't get better when we beat TWO TOP 20 teams in our last two games?

Collier11
1/7/2010, 03:59 PM
Umm, did you not notice that my quote was from before the Osu game?

IronHorseSooner
1/10/2010, 11:24 AM
Yes, Cullen is the junior college guy i was trying to think of. He's trying to decide between us, tennessee and a few other schools. he is something like a 4 star tackle 6'6 275 lb guy.

Any more word on him?

soonerboy_odanorth
1/12/2010, 02:30 PM
Brice Schwab is a newer name that has popped up from Rivals- 6-8, 320 OT from Palomar CC.

BoomerSooner88
1/13/2010, 11:57 AM
With Tennessee in shambles i would venture to say it will come down to us and Auburn for John Cullen.

Collier11
1/13/2010, 02:55 PM
With Tennessee in shambles i would venture to say it will come down to us and Auburn for John Cullen.

well we are 0-1 going against Auburn so im not too confident

BoomerSooner88
1/14/2010, 12:56 AM
Yeah thats what concerns me.. I dont see how some of these recruits can overlook our o-line situation, and pass up an opportunity to compete for a starting job...especially a juco lineman like Cullen...

OU44life
1/14/2010, 09:40 AM
Yeah thats what concerns me.. I dont see how some of these recruits can overlook our o-line situation, and pass up an opportunity to compete for a starting job...especially a juco lineman like Cullen...

Sounds pretty good here.

JOHN CULLEN, OT, 6’6, 285, 5.0, FULLERTON JC, CALIFORNIA

“Yeah it is the same thing because Coach Patton has been there for a while and he has sent guys to the NFL. Again the O-line coach is the coach that I will be closer to and I am glad Coach Patton is going to be at OU.”

IronHorseSooner
1/14/2010, 12:48 PM
That's great to hear! I would bet that he would be a RT versus an LT. Cory Brandon is MUCH better on the left side.

Widescreen
1/14/2010, 02:12 PM
Yep. His false starts are much prettier on that side.

;)

KantoSooner
1/14/2010, 03:02 PM
5.0 is his 40 speed? I don't carry those stats in my brain, but isn't that pretty quick for an OL?

Collier11
1/14/2010, 03:05 PM
not too shabby

NOVSooner
1/14/2010, 03:31 PM
Yep. His false starts are much prettier on that side.

;)

that's funny right there!

SCxxSOONER
1/14/2010, 04:51 PM
dont these Juco kids enroll this semester? If so schwab and cullen will be deciding really soon i am guessing.