PDA

View Full Version : Worst road team I've ever seen

Soonermagik
11/22/2009, 10:26 AM
I'm not here to bash, but just try to understand why this team struggles on the road. Even when we play on a neutral field they just struggle.

I don't know how to correct it, but it does account for a few national title losses, IMHO. The only time they seem to play on the road decent are in the big 12 title games. Other than that, they just seem lost when away from Norman.

Maybe we can refuse to play on the road and host the title game in Norman. :texan: ;)

IronHorseSooner
11/22/2009, 11:57 AM
I would say arrogance and complacency have a good bit to do with it. When you aren't motivated or don't respect your opponent, then you lose. One needs to look no further than the performances by our sports teams (both bball teams and football) the past week to see that.

westcoast_sooner
11/22/2009, 12:10 PM
What is really surprising is that so many times OU can look invincible at home, and look completely ordinary outside Norman.

GottaHavePride
11/22/2009, 12:11 PM
Well, THIS season I think our troubles are mainly due to an O-line that has had a different starting lineup every game and is now on their 5th-string center, a freshman QB who wasn't expecting to start even a single game this season, and a WR corps that just isn't quite mature yet.

Soonerus
11/22/2009, 12:21 PM
I think it has its base in immaturity...

Blues1
11/22/2009, 12:39 PM
I think it has its base in immaturity...

I agree immaturity plays a role - But When I see other teams with Freshmen and Red shirt Freshmen still lighting up the score board I gotta believe there is more to the story than just plain youth....

Once again Jmho - But Our *Offense System* is plainly "Not Working" -- Why ...? - Jmho - We need a QB that can Run & Pass If we are going to Win all those close games We Lost......

BYU
Miami
Texas
Nebraska

A QB with some Speed and Guts could have Won those games......

Still R'

King Barry's Back
11/22/2009, 01:00 PM
I would say arrogance and complacency have a good bit to do with it. When you aren't motivated or don't respect your opponent, then you lose. One needs to look no further than the performances by our sports teams (both bball teams and football) the past week to see that.

You think they didn't respect USC? Well, for sure, USC didn't respect them, at least after it was over.

I don't think the problem is OU's lack of respect for opponents, it's OU's lack of caring/effort.

OUTrumpet
11/22/2009, 01:05 PM
I agree immaturity plays a role - But When I see other teams with Freshmen and Red shirt Freshmen still lighting up the score board I gotta believe there is more to the story than just plain youth....

Once again Jmho - But Our *Offense System* is plainly "Not Working" -- Why ...? - Jmho - We need a QB that can Run & Pass If we are going to Win all those close games We Lost......

BYU
Miami
Texas
Nebraska

A QB with some Speed and Guts could have Won those games......

Still R'

A running qb could help take some pressure off the o-line, but a scrambling qb could get destroyed because of our inexperience at the tackle position (either have to get them really far outside or keep them contained in the box). A rollout or a scramble outside without that experience can easily let a DE or LB crush the qb.

And last year, didn't we put up record numbers with a pocket-passer?

Blues1
11/22/2009, 01:15 PM
A running qb could help take some pressure off the o-line, but a scrambling qb could get destroyed because of our inexperience at the tackle position (either have to get them really far outside or keep them contained in the box). A rollout or a scramble outside without that experience can easily let a DE or LB crush the qb.

And last year, didn't we put up record numbers with a pocket-passer?

Amen ~ My point is ~ We didn't have the Right Personal this year to Run Last years Offense -- We recruited a Sam Bradford look a like in LJ and hoped he could carry on...- Why Not also find a QB that has blazing speed just in case we needed him ~

Troy Akins goes down and Who comes in ~~~~~ :)
Get My Point ~~~ :)

IronHorseSooner
11/22/2009, 01:38 PM
You think they didn't respect USC? Well, for sure, USC didn't respect them, at least after it was over.

I don't think the problem is OU's lack of respect for opponents, it's OU's lack of caring/effort.

Just ask Larry Birdine. His comment about SUC being a 1 1/2 man team didn't exactly help matters. Neither did Dom's comments about Timmah last year that he would be the 4th best QB if he played in the Big XII. Check out Malcolm Kelly's comments before the WVU game about how we should've been playing in the MNC instead of the Fiesta Bowl. It took the team about a half to get into the Boise game. The 2003 KSTATE game smacked of arrogance, especially after Kejuan scored that first TD. The CU game in 2007 was a textbook example of how to give away game on the road, and even Trent Smith commented how the team looked blase (call it complacency or uninspired, it's all the same). The ISU game in 2007 SMACKED of both arrogance and complacency, and it took a game effort by DJ Wolfe to seal that one up.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2009, 03:31 PM
With all the problems we have had on the road, you can bet the team takes road opponents seriously. You would have to be psycho not to.

Players make arrogant comments before playing big games on the road all the time. But only OU seems to have this much trouble translating the comments into wins. It isn't arrogance.

We run pretty much the same offense no matter where we go, and it shouldn't mater. If play X works in Norman, play X should work in Lincoln. So it has nothing to do with schemes.

I think it boils down to confidence. I think the team goes into a "Oh no! Not another road loss!" funk whenever the game turns tight on the road. The opposing crowd gets into it, and the team's psche drops. Soon, they are running themselves out of plays, missing tackles, dropping passes. It's normal human behavior, just not desirable.

We just need to win a couple of big games on the road to clear it up.

I don't think there is much the coaching staff can do about it.

tulsaoilerfan
11/22/2009, 03:35 PM
With all the problems we have had on the road, you can bet the team takes road opponents seriously. You would have to be psycho not to.

Players make arrogant comments before playing big games on the road all the time. But only OU seems to have this much trouble translating the comments into wins. It isn't arrogance.

We run pretty much the same offense no matter where we go, and it shouldn't mater. If play X works in Norman, play X should work in Lincoln. So it has nothing to do with schemes.

I think it boils down to confidence. I think the team goes into a "Oh no! Not another road loss!" funk whenever the game turns tight on the road. The opposing crowd gets into it, and the team's psche drops. Soon, they are running themselves out of plays, missing tackles, dropping passes. It's normal human behavior, just not desirable.

We just need to win a couple of big games on the road to clear it up.

I don't think there is much the coaching staff can do about it.

If the coaches can't fix it then they are the problem

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2009, 04:16 PM
No coach can fix it. Coaches are not omnipotent beings. Sometimes players just have to work things out for themselves.

And they will.

tulsaoilerfan
11/22/2009, 08:04 PM
No coach can fix it. Coaches are not omnipotent beings. Sometimes players just have to work things out for themselves.

And they will.

I wish i shared your confidence, but this has been a problem for about 5 seasons now

StoopTroup
11/22/2009, 08:07 PM
We should quit giving the players KFC on the bus when we lose. Stop and get em some Popeye's. That'll teach em.

okiedokie
11/22/2009, 08:48 PM
I think it also starts with the play calling...sometimes very predictable

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2009, 09:45 PM
I think it also starts with the play calling...sometimes very predictable

That's total bs

Sasakwa
11/22/2009, 11:54 PM
Baylor has more road wins than us, and they're playing without their starting QB as well.

But just look at the schedule, BYU, Miami, Texas, Nebraska and Tech are better teams than Idaho, Tulsa, Baylor, K-State and aTm. The toughest games have been the roadies. Just makes sense that we're more likely to lose those.