PDA

View Full Version : We are bowl eligible, right?

OKC-SLC
11/22/2009, 01:05 AM
We're 6-5, but one win was against a I-AA (FCS, whatever) opponent. Is that rule still in effect--that you can only count a win vs. I-AA every other year to get you bowl eligible? Or have they made those wins not count at all?

Soonerus
11/22/2009, 01:06 AM
We are already bowl eligible...

VA Sooner
11/22/2009, 01:24 AM
Thank God. Please give us a very, very, very weak opponent and we can finish this nightmare of a season over with and get our players healed again for next year.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2009, 01:32 AM
I say we run up the score in our bowl game. We need to go back to everyone hating us.

En_Fuego
11/22/2009, 01:37 AM
I say we run up the score in our bowl game. We need to go back to everyone hating us.

Run up the score ?......They might get blown out the way they are playing.

nighttrain12
11/22/2009, 01:54 AM
There is no guarantee a 6-6 OU team would get picked though. Right now, the best record of a team we have beat is 6-5.

OKC-SLC
11/22/2009, 01:58 AM
There is no guarantee a 6-6 OU team would get picked though. Right now, the best record of a team we have beat is 6-5.

I'm not worried about that--there are tons of bowls that would jizz their pants to get OU in their bowl. Especially if they get to play their highlights of OU losing to an underdog for the next decade like the fiesta bowl has gotten to do.

nighttrain12
11/22/2009, 03:29 AM
Yes, they probably will pick us anyway at 6-6 though we would probably be an underdog in that bowl game against a team with a slightly better record. I just hope that it is a moot question by us going 7-5 instead. Beating a really good OSU team would be the highlight of our year though over an bowl game.

sooner59
11/22/2009, 03:54 AM
At 6-6, there would be multiple bowls trying to pick us up. The bowls may suck, but they are out there wanting a big name. Its all about big names and ratings and smaller bowls cream themselves over the chance at a team like OU.

MamaMia
11/22/2009, 03:59 AM
America likes to laugh at us, so they'll probably pair us up with a lesser division team who's better than we are so sponsors can sell jock itch cream on the backs of our suckness. :O

sooner59
11/22/2009, 04:02 AM
America likes to laugh at us, so they'll probably pair us up with a lesser division team who's better than we are so sponsors can sell jock itch cream on the backs of our suckness. :O

We get blown out by Stanford in the Sun Bowl? Ah crap...:(

King Barry's Back
11/22/2009, 05:08 AM
We get blown out by Stanford in the Sun Bowl? Ah crap...:(

Yeah, there are some good teams out there that we could meet in a bowl game.

I'm starting to hope for Shreveport -- might be the only bowl we could win. Though we have to accept that even Shreveport could be an ugly loss for this team.

Monster Zero
11/22/2009, 09:28 AM
I say screw it. Let's finish this season next Saturday, let it be known that we ain't going bowling, and let the recriminations begin.

AlbqSooner
11/22/2009, 10:16 AM
The money associated with even a lesser bowl is difficult for a team to turn down. Factor in getting the conference pressure to go for the money, and letting it be know that we aren't going bowling is not likely.

schlanker
11/22/2009, 10:27 AM
I want to play notre dame in el paso. That would be a coupe for the sun bowl.

TXBOOMER
11/22/2009, 10:37 AM
OU will picked people. Sooners like to go places and party. I'm in.

okiedokie
11/22/2009, 10:41 AM
Give me USC...please!!!!

Lawtonsoonerfan01
11/22/2009, 10:49 AM
If we beat OSU we're pretty much a lock for either Alamo or Holiday....if not, we're probably lookinng at Independence.

cherokeebrewer
11/22/2009, 10:51 AM
What I saw from the defense yesterday is not acceptable. This team doesn't deserve to play in a bowl game...I just want this season over & done with.

cobrapilot
11/22/2009, 10:58 AM
I say skip the bowl

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2009, 11:03 AM
Skip the bowl and you skip weeks of practice for returning players and there is not a coach that will say that is not critical. Yes, get this season over but not at the expense of starting next season in the hole.

GottaHavePride
11/22/2009, 12:06 PM
What I saw from the defense yesterday is not acceptable. This team doesn't deserve to play in a bowl game...I just want this season over & done with.

The DEFENSE? Your complaint after yesterday was the DEFENSE?

Sweet bejeezus.

Sure, they gave up more points than usual - they played 3/4 of the game due to the offense going 3 and out on every damn series.

cherokeebrewer
11/22/2009, 12:26 PM
The DEFENSE? Your complaint after yesterday was the DEFENSE?

Well, when Tech gets the ball on their own 9 yard line, throws a pitch & catch for 40 yards..yep the defense was horrible. The offense wasn't much better. So make that two compaints.

Normally I am not a complainer, but what happened yesterday is not acceptable. If you like it...good for you.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2009, 12:29 PM
Well, when Tech gets the ball on their own 9 yard line, throws a pitch & catch for 40 yards..yep the defense was horrible. The offense wasn't much better. So make that two compaints.

Normally I am not a complainer, but what happened yesterday is not acceptable. If you like it...good for you.

If it's not acceptable, what are you going to do about it?

King Barry's Back
11/22/2009, 12:31 PM
If it's not acceptable, what are you going to do about it?

This season has sucked for everybody. Let's try not to turn on each other.

Think of the children!:D

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2009, 12:37 PM
This season has sucked for everybody. Let's try not to turn on each other.

Think of the children!:D

Sorry, I guess that was too sarcastic. I just keep seeing that "not acceptable" phrase and I don't understand. I see little control that most people have. I guess a few may have the millions to donate in order to buy out the coaches and hire new ones. The next group are season ticket holders who could stop buying them and the rest can do nothing but whine about it (or **** into the wind). I'm in the last group and really don't want urine in my face, so I'm forced to accept whatever drama unfolds.

bluedogok
11/22/2009, 12:37 PM
We're 6-5, but one win was against a I-AA (FCS, whatever) opponent. Is that rule still in effect--that you can only count a win vs. I-AA every other year to get you bowl eligible? Or have they made those wins not count at all?
When the schedule was expanded to 12 regular season games the rule was modified. You can count only 1 win against a DI-AA opponent in the minimum win category for bowl games every season, if you play more than that the wins do not count towards bowl eligibility. The old rule was 1 win every other season. With the expanded schedule it made scheduling the extra game more difficult so that is why they opened it up, I think it was mainly to get more "payday games" for DI-AA schools.

yermom
11/22/2009, 12:40 PM
i think you can only count one 1-AA win for bowl eligibility per year (KState is screwed)

the rule changed when we went to 12 games per season, i believe

it wasn't an issue last year anyway since we won 12 games

sooner94
11/22/2009, 01:39 PM
Skip the bowl and you skip weeks of practice for returning players and there is not a coach that will say that is not critical. Yes, get this season over but not at the expense of starting next season in the hole.

Exactly. We need a bowl game for the extra practices for our young guys.

We really need the extra reps to get ready for next year.

cherokeebrewer
11/22/2009, 01:40 PM
Sorry, I guess that was too sarcastic. I just keep seeing that "not acceptable" phrase and I don't understand.

I suppose I could use one of the regular message board phrases, but that's not my style.

As for the Tech game, it's the coaches job to prepare them to play, not mine or any other fan. We were not prepared to play that game. The offense was enept, the defense looked slow & the players were out of postition all day long.

I'm not a fair weather fan and don't normally complain, and yes, I can deal with reality. We got whupped...out played & out coached. I hope that's not acceptable to the coaches or the players.

btk108
11/22/2009, 01:41 PM
i think you can only count one 1-AA win for bowl eligibility per year (KState is screwed)

the rule changed when we went to 12 games per season, i believe

it wasn't an issue last year anyway since we won 12 games

How was the trip?

IronHorseSooner
11/22/2009, 01:49 PM
Beating OSU this week would definitely be the highlight of the season. That would still leave UTerus, OSU, Nebbish, and Tech with better bowl resumes than us.

UTerus- MNC
OSU- Cotton (If we beat them, if not, the Fiesta)
Nebbish- Holiday
Tech- Alamo
OU- Sun (I think)

After that, ISU, A&M, and Mizzou also get bids. KU would need to beat Mizzou next week in KC. KSTATE is out due to not enough FBS wins. CU and Baylor bring up the rear.

westcoast_sooner
11/22/2009, 05:18 PM
Was watching (I can't remember which one for sure through the Corona induced haze) some game last night and they were talking about bowls. The commentators were exactly right on the money. What they said was that bowls don't pick teams because they want a particular match-up. The bowls are a BUSINESS. They pick teams because they know a particular program's fans travel well, fill up their town's hotels, eat in the town's restaurants and buy drinks in their town's bars. Sooner fans do that. And I'll tell you, if OU were to go to the Holiday, I'd head to San Diego to the game, even though my son (who lives in SD) is gonna be up here during that time.

Just sayin.

OUMedMan
11/22/2009, 06:28 PM
I think there's a reasonable chance to play USC in the Sun Bowl.

I don't know if that would be good or bad -- but it would certainly attract interest.

Curly Bill
11/22/2009, 06:37 PM
I think there's a reasonable chance to play USC in the Sun Bowl.

I don't know if that would be good or bad -- but it would certainly attract interest.

I think it would be a 2-3 (maybe more) touchdown USuC victory -- that would be bad.

rawlingsHOH
11/22/2009, 06:59 PM

It doesn't matter what the record of the best team we've beaten is. OU will be selected because it's OU.

StoopTroup
11/22/2009, 07:05 PM
It doesn't matter what the record of the best team we've beaten is. OU will be selected because it's OU.

This is a good point.

Folks need to understand the thought process of the small Bowl Committee.

I can bring in a Team that has a better record and 5000 of their fans....or I can bring in Oklahoma and 20000-30000 of their fans.

I will agree that it remains to be seen just how many OU Fans would show up to a small Bowl that was hard to get to or a long drive...however...we are known for having a large fan base that travels.

We'll be at a Bowl more than likely.