PDA

View Full Version : Lubbock experience...

jumperstop
11/21/2009, 09:14 PM
I was at the game today and had a good time supporting my team. At dinner on Friday I met a really nice fan and the day of the game nobody said anything during pregame. But during and after the game was another experience. After Tech would score, their fans would instantly start the OU sucks chant instead of cheering for their team. They seemed more concerned with mocking the OU fans than what was going on in the game. After the game I was told to go back to Norman and OU sucks from multiple people. One I told good game and that he was not very nice, the next person I reminded them of the number of CC they have. I didn't want to get my *** kicked. What I'm wondering is it just me or does Tech have the rudest fans ever? I got the same reception two years ago too. I never jeer other fans, maybe a little to texas, but if someone is willing to come to Norman to see a game I'm not going to tell them to go back to wherever or their team sucks. Maybe I'm just a nicer person than most. Probably never going back to Lubbock, even the Fla fans last year didn't talk as much **** after the game.

JLEW1818
11/21/2009, 09:16 PM
they do suck... even aggies know that tech sucks !

Okie35
11/21/2009, 09:18 PM
As I said earlier its ok let them enjoy this right now. Next year we'll absolutely crush them. Its a never-ending story. Then we'll play the jump around remix.

delhalew
11/21/2009, 09:20 PM
You are still dealing with Texans.

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2009, 09:20 PM
I actually really like Tech fans and students. They're obnoxious when it comes to football, but if we're honest with ourselves nearly every team's fans can be obnoxious.

I can honestly say I've never met someone from Tech that I didn't like...A&M on the other hand is a whole other story. D-bags...the whole lot of them.

KingWKB
11/21/2009, 09:21 PM
Oh my I don't know how you survived that. I mean if I had been there and heard the OU sucks chant I would never go back there either. And the nerve of that Tech fan to till you to go back to Norman! That must have been an awful experience.

Soonerus
11/21/2009, 09:22 PM
They are just isolated and basically reprobates...

Okie35
11/21/2009, 09:25 PM
I actually really like Tech fans and students. They're obnoxious when it comes to football, but if we're honest with ourselves nearly every team's fans can be obnoxious.

I can honestly say I've never met someone from Tech that I didn't like...A&M on the other hand is a whole other story. D-bags...the whole lot of them.

So I guess you've never seen the Tech fans throw batteries ehh?

S008NER
11/21/2009, 09:46 PM
It sounds like they went easy on you. Ten years ago they tried to sodomize Aggie fans in the stands with the goal post.

SWFloridaSooner
11/21/2009, 09:55 PM
Having been to Lubbock a time or two, I can only feel sorry for them. That, and NOBODY is worse than Miami in my book.

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2009, 10:15 PM
So I guess you've never seen the Tech fans throw batteries ehh?

Like I said, everyone has obnoxious fans.

jumperstop
11/21/2009, 11:04 PM
Oh my I don't know how you survived that. I mean if I had been there and heard the OU sucks chant I would never go back there either. And the nerve of that Tech fan to till you to go back to Norman! That must have been an awful experience.

F you noob...I'm not saying it was hard, but definately not enjoyable. This is pretty much the same experience I had two years ago. I have never heard **** talking from fans from visiting thier campus and stadium, except at tech. I always had enjoyable visiting experiences thats all I was saying. It's probably not that bad to you beacause you are just like them, mocking other fans who come too Norman. Then again, have you ever been to a game in Norman? dumbass

Soonerus
11/21/2009, 11:07 PM
I have been to Tech, they are just not classy at all and don't care...

tommieharris91
11/21/2009, 11:10 PM
Are there any screencaps of their fans in dOUshe shirts or the fans with the Oklahoma University: A Bad Idea sign (with Obama's campaign symbol inside the O)?

ELP Sooner
11/21/2009, 11:19 PM
Jumper,

I was in LBB in 2007 with my son. It was awful. I will not go back for a football game there. I am going to give hoops a shot and make the trip to LBB for the guys and gals in January. Maybe that will be better. Truth is that I guess the days of finding good fans are over. I will not see OU football play outside of Norman again. I went to Norman this year and just loved the whole deal and decided that is as good as it gets. In fact I liked OKC so much I hope to be able to move there in a few years.

rainiersooner
11/21/2009, 11:47 PM
I wasn't there, but from the vantage point of my television, I was particularly impressed with this dry-eraser board sign:

Hey OU - Where's Bradford?

Pure class.

mehip
11/22/2009, 12:17 AM
A&M on the other hand is a whole other story. D-bags...the whole lot of them.

Truth. I first discovered this when doing my undergrad work at CalTech and I ran into one who told me "Why waste your time there, everyone knows that A&M is the most awesome school for science." Then, when I started my company here in DFW I made the mistake of hiring one once, never again.

John Kochtoston
11/22/2009, 12:29 AM
As I said earlier its ok let them enjoy this right now. Next year we'll absolutely crush them. Its a never-ending story. Then we'll play the jump around remix.

A little laid back for football, I think.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3p14a_house-of-pain-jump-around-pete-rock_music

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/22/2009, 12:37 AM
they do suck... even aggies know that tech sucks !If you lived in Lubbock, or pretended to like Lubbock, or claimed that Tech was your favorite team, then you would secretly know that you suck, and would tell everyone else they suck, because you would suck so bad.

Flagstaffsooner
11/22/2009, 12:39 AM
Like I said, everyone has obnoxious fans.I resemble that remark.:D

MamaMia
11/22/2009, 12:40 AM
Like I said, everyone has obnoxious fans. Oh good grief. Don't paint us with your broad brush. Some have more than others; a lot more in some cases. I cant expect you to know what its like to be despised by others who act upon their jealousy of ones tradition and success because your football program is unlike ours in that respect, but you have to at least know that every fan base is not alike.

Some fan bases are worse than others. For example, LSU fans are worse than Texas Tech fans. I would say however, that Ref Raider fans as a whole are tacky and rude and very well known for telling people to "Go home." I've very seldom heard a Sooner fan say anything rude to a visiting fan, other than maybe a poke. Thats why we, along with the Crimson Tide fans have many times been selected as the greatest fans by many unbiased sports personalities.

Soonerus
11/22/2009, 12:40 AM
If you lived in Lubbock, or pretended to like Lubbock, or claimed that Tech was your favorite team, then you would secretly know that you suck, and would tell everyone else they suck, because you would suck so bad.

exactly...

11/22/2009, 12:43 AM
Ahhhh, drunk students. I've tried to reason with them in the past.

There is no reasoning.

11/22/2009, 01:03 AM
You know, this is a strange topic. I've been to The Holy Land in Norman so many times growing up as a Sooner. I was Sooner born, and you know the rest. Wonderful experience witnessing some amazing games at Owen.

That said, it is interesting to go there as a member of the Texas A&M staff. As a Sooner fan, there is nothing like standing on that sideline and soaking in the game. As an A&M employee, I notice a few disturbing rednecks shoutting how much A&M sucks.

I guess it is just their mission.

I've seen it in Austin, Stillwater, Bolder... even Lincoln.

My first answer is, "Well, DUH!"

I'm sure it happens everwhere, every week. Tech fans just manage to throw an extra scoop of a55hole gravy on top.

spatton713
11/22/2009, 01:14 AM
Having been to Lubbock a time or two, I can only feel sorry for them. That, and NOBODY is worse than Miami in my book.

agreed been to lubbock in 05 and 07..miami this year blew them all away

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2009, 01:15 AM
Oh good grief. Don't paint us with your broad brush. Some have more than others; a lot more in some cases. I cant expect you to know what its like to be despised by others who act upon their jealousy of ones tradition and success because your football program is unlike ours in that respect, but you have to at least know that every fan base is not alike.

Some fan bases are worse than others. For example, LSU fans are worse than Texas Tech fans. I would say however, that Ref Raider fans as a whole are tacky and rude and very well known for telling people to "Go home." I've very seldom heard a Sooner fan say anything rude to a visiting fan, other than maybe a poke. Thats why we, along with the Crimson Tide fans have many times been selected as the greatest fans by many unbiased sports personalities.

I'm not painting anyone with a broad brush and my comments weren't even directed at OU. My only point is that you can find obnoxious fans at EVERY school. Trust me, OU has plenty of obnoxious fans and so does Baylor and every other fan base. Tech, in my experience, is no better or worse than any other Big XII school with the exception of A&M.

MamaMia
11/22/2009, 02:11 AM
I'm not painting anyone with a broad brush and my comments weren't even directed at OU. My only point is that you can find obnoxious fans at EVERY school. Trust me, OU has plenty of obnoxious fans and so does Baylor and every other fan base. Tech, in my experience, is no better or worse than any other Big XII school with the exception of A&M.Well, you're wrong. Tech fans are far worse than some of the other Big XII schools, like OU and Nebraska fans for instance, and even Baylor fans. Not only that, but your opinion is skewed considering the fact that playing Baylor, whether home or away, is not like a real game with high emotions, so how on earth would you even have enough material to form a credible hypothesis? Oh I know, you have been to games that don't involve Baylor. Well, unless you actually have a dog in the fight no way would you be able to feel the heat one way or the other.

I do agree however that all schools have obnoxious fans.

11/22/2009, 02:22 AM
I'm not painting anyone with a broad brush and my comments weren't even directed at OU. My only point is that you can find obnoxious fans at EVERY school. Trust me, OU has plenty of obnoxious fans and so does Baylor and every other fan base. Tech, in my experience, is no better or worse than any other Big XII school with the exception of A&M.

I find your roll on the sooner board humorous. You are quite a character.

SoonerBorn
11/22/2009, 08:09 AM
Tech has the rudest fans, according to a highly scientific poll:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/specials/fansurvey/2009/big12.html

Other than OSU (when I was exiled to Stillwater for a few years) this is the first away game I've been to. I saw the dOUshe shirts, and in the 3rd and 4th quarters I started hearing the chants of OU Sucks Balls. When we left (after Brody's interception - I was disgusted with the call) some Tech fans yelled "Where are you going?"

The rudest thing, I thought, was them pumping loud heavy metal music over their speakers right up until we hiked the ball. Their crowd and band couldn't make enough noise, I guess. Our band there played up until they got into formation, and that's been my experience in Norman. It struck me as very unsportsmanlike to use your stadiums sound system like that to disrupt play calling.

Their version of the RufNeks are called "Saddle Tramps." No word on if they all have stamps, as well.

There was a shouting match between one OU fan and the Tech student section at one point, but our fan looked pretty lit. Not a good example for us.

The drive from Amarillo to Lubbock is great, if you like looking at flat cotton fields. Techs stadium reminded me of Jenks or Unions stadium. Lots of empty seats. They're taking a cue from OSU and expanding their stadium while they can't even sell it out.

RaiderAficionado
11/22/2009, 08:18 AM
I was at the game today and had a good time supporting my team. At dinner on Friday I met a really nice fan and the day of the game nobody said anything during pregame. But during and after the game was another experience. After Tech would score, their fans would instantly start the OU sucks chant instead of cheering for their team. They seemed more concerned with mocking the OU fans than what was going on in the game. After the game I was told to go back to Norman and OU sucks from multiple people. One I told good game and that he was not very nice, the next person I reminded them of the number of CC they have. I didn't want to get my *** kicked. What I'm wondering is it just me or does Tech have the rudest fans ever? I got the same reception two years ago too. I never jeer other fans, maybe a little to texas, but if someone is willing to come to Norman to see a game I'm not going to tell them to go back to wherever or their team sucks. Maybe I'm just a nicer person than most. Probably never going back to Lubbock, even the Fla fans last year didn't talk as much **** after the game.

Too bad I didn't run into you after the game.

I would've spit on you, punched your Grandma, gave your son a wedgie, and thrown acid on the ground you walked.

Naaaaw... j/k.

Sorry you met a few bad apples. Every OU fan I met was nice and respectful and I in turn was the same.

Sooner70
11/22/2009, 08:28 AM
It's endemic to these Texas teams, maybe Aggies & Baylor excepted. My experience and impression with the aTm fans is when it comes to OU, they're generally a respectful lot. Not the others.....particularly Texas & Tech. Rather than enjoy their own good fortune and success, they'd rather trash OU given the opportunity. My guess is that for them OU is a benchmark, target program because year in/out they're good (this year exception), they win a lot of Big 12 championships (again, this year excepted) and OU is so successful at recruiting in Texas. It's probably a jealousy/envy thing or something.

fadada1
11/22/2009, 08:47 AM
they had their chance last year... and ran into a buzzsaw. they're bitter. they must feel proud to get us while we're down. glad we got them when they were up... for one season.

Jacie
11/22/2009, 01:05 PM
The Lubbock experience has not been good for OU fans and teams alike after OUr third straight loss there. This one being a blowout loss hurt but I saw it coming. Besides OU, Tech was the only team to stay within 3 touchdowns of sa*et, losing to the whorns by 10. The Sooners have been a terrible road team this year and the TT fans were still smoldering over the humiliating depantsing their team suffered in Norman last year. It was probably just another game for Mike Leach but the sand aggie fans were hyped up and wanting a revenge game. No doubt, there must be a correction of things next year.

47straight
11/22/2009, 04:53 PM
Go back to Norman? Why, so their stadium would look even emptier?

TexasSoonerdad
11/22/2009, 10:56 PM
Sorry folks. The two worst fans of the day were the two OU fans up behind us. There always has to be a couple at every game. They were embarressing all of the folks in our area.

Soonerus
11/22/2009, 11:37 PM
It was amazing how many empty seats there were in Lubbock...

MrJimBeam
11/23/2009, 07:36 AM
You ever wonder why in 3rd world countries when the population gets pissed at the government they always burn down the marketplace, or city hall, or government palace, or thier own homes? It's because their lives suck. They live in grass huts, crap where they sleep, have a life expectancy of about 41 years, and are more than likely going to have to eat the family pet next week. This is why Tech fans hate other people, cause living in Lubbock is like living in a 3rd world country.

Lawtonsoonerfan01
11/23/2009, 11:13 AM
I saw at least two Tceh fans pointing laser pointers at Landry's eyes/

badger
11/23/2009, 11:19 AM
If Tech beat OU last year, they would have...

a) Won the Big 12 South.
b) Won the Big 12 title
c) Gone to the national championship game.

So of course, you should expect a little bit of trash talking... I mean, we ruined their dream season... it's what we're about to do to OSU.

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 11:20 AM
Were there any "ink" incidents this year. I was thinking with those pretty, new, all-whites, they'd have a field day.

03 and 05 they did. Can't remember 07.

OPSEC
11/23/2009, 01:31 PM

COP OUT! Yeah, "every team's fans can be obnoxious" but not the whole lot of them. Generally we are talking about a section or onesies or threesies, but the whole lot!!!!!! Miami and CU worst of all.

Statalyzer
11/23/2009, 05:09 PM
What I'm wondering is it just me or does Tech have the rudest fans ever? I got the same reception two years ago too. I never jeer other fans, maybe a little to texas, but if someone is willing to come to Norman to see a game I'm not going to tell them to go back to wherever or their team sucks. Maybe I'm just a nicer person than most. Probably never going back to Lubbock, even the Fla fans last year didn't talk as much **** after the game.

Tech and Colorado, IMO, have by far the worst fans in the Big XII.

I know UT and OU message boarders love to call out each other as worst fans in history, but honestly I've seen very little dumbass behavior (besides the Ruf-neks & Hellraisers) from Longhorns or Sooners at the Cotton Bowl compared to what I've seen from the Raiders and Buffaloes.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/23/2009, 10:44 PM
We can them Sand Aggies, 'nuf said...