PDA

View Full Version : Philip Fulmer or Barry Switzer

PLaw
11/21/2009, 09:06 PM
A while back I asked the question if Bob would look more like PF or The King in three years. So, what do you think?

Fulmer won a MNC early in his career and teams continued to play at a high level, but eventually the program declined and he was forced out.

King Switzer won two MNC's early (could have had 2 or 3 more in the 70's), then went through a "dry" spell in the early 80's before returning to championship level in the mid-80's.

So, will Bob's career mirror Fulmer's or King Barry's?

BOOMER

mightysooner
11/21/2009, 09:08 PM
Neither. He is a mirror image of Jim Tressel.

jumperstop
11/21/2009, 09:17 PM
Neither. He is a mirror image of Jim Tressel.

That sucks cause I hate Tressel.

Sabanball
11/21/2009, 09:18 PM
I would hope neither.

At Tennessee, Philip never really lost control of the program as much as his prowess on the recruiting trail began to wane and he began to lose out on big players. Like you guys in Oklahoma, Tennessee cannot rely heavily on in-state talent to stock their program. Once the pipeline started going dry back around 2000, that's when his decline started. Coincidentally, that just happens to be the same year that one Nicholas Saban entered the SEC and starting taking players from the i-10 corridor. Keep in mind that Philip's acendancy in the SEC back in the late 90s was the same time that LSU and Alabama were programs in turmoil.

In Barry's case, heck, I think the man could still recruit today--but he just lost control of the program in the offseason after '88, and really the college game had passed him by, what with his antiquated offense. Keep in mind though he had quite a run from 85-87, right near the end of his career--and he did it running the pure 'bone.

soonervegas
11/21/2009, 09:19 PM
I am a naysayer, but I put my money on a Barry career. (and in more ways than you mean)

Edit: Sabanball kind of beat me to it

mightysooner
11/21/2009, 09:20 PM
That sucks cause I hate Tressel.

The similarities are alarming.

Collier11
11/21/2009, 09:21 PM
how we bounce back next week and next yr will tell us a lot, im still on the Coach Stoops is a great coach wagon

rawlingsHOH
11/22/2009, 03:43 PM
A while back I asked the question if Bob would look more like PF or The King in three years. So, what do you think?

Fulmer won a MNC early in his career and teams continued to play at a high level, but eventually the program declined and he was forced out.

King Switzer won two MNC's early (could have had 2 or 3 more in the 70's), then went through a "dry" spell in the early 80's before returning to championship level in the mid-80's.

So, will Bob's career mirror Fulmer's or King Barry's?

BOOMER
OU was in the NCG last season.

StoopTroup
11/22/2009, 04:04 PM
When you're on Top of the World and as many times (4), playing for all the marbles....people are going to take pot shots at you with stuff like Plaw was asked.

It doesn't really deserve a response....a throat punch is probably more in order IMO.

King Barry's Back
11/22/2009, 06:58 PM
More like Switzer. But to me he mostly looks like Wilkinson.

Eielson
11/22/2009, 07:55 PM
It's not Stoops' fault that so many people got injured. It's Kevin Wilson's!

PLaw
11/22/2009, 10:55 PM
When you're on Top of the World and as many times (4), playing for all the marbles....people are going to take pot shots at you with stuff like Plaw was asked.

It doesn't really deserve a response....a throat punch is probably more in order IMO.

Seriously? A throat punch? No "pot shot" intended. I just want to know what people think about the legacy Bob will leave.

I'm a big Stoops supporter and I am rooting that he wins a couple more MNC's before he is done in Norman. In fact, as King Barry's Back posted, I think Bob's character and integrity are more like Wilkinsons than Switzer.

Boomer

Sasakwa
11/23/2009, 10:45 AM
He will be Fat Phil until he wins another championship, then he will be Barry. Its the nature of the beast.

Collier11
11/23/2009, 10:57 AM
If Stoops left tom his legacy would be a great coach who wasnt at the level of Bud or Barry

If he leaves in 10 years I would bet he will have atleast 1 more natl title. The thing that most OU fans, or any fan of a big time program for that matter fail to realize is how hard it is to win a natl title. The fact that we went 4 times in 10 years should be more appreciated, unfortunately it probably never will be