PDA

View Full Version : 2000 National Champions

JaxSooner
11/21/2009, 07:16 PM
Two things:

1. When we won it all in 2000, there was some talk of Stoops doing it with Blake's players. Given how things have gone since then, how much more does it seem that was the case?

2. I'm hating that since we've won our last National Championship, texas has won one and looks to have secured a spot in another. And I hate feeling like they stand a better chance of not embarrassing their fan base a la OU in any of our most recent trips to the BCS championship game.

Bah.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2009, 07:18 PM
0 injuries in 2000

JLEW1818
11/21/2009, 07:18 PM
well in 1999 we went 7-5

2000 = undefeated champs

ten years later 2009 7-5

2010 ??

heh.

StoopTroup
11/21/2009, 07:20 PM
Yeah Blake is responsible for 6 Big XII Championships and Four trips to the MNC.

Thanks John.

Also....never...ever...worry about your Team embarrassing you.

I will never understand how anyone could feel embarrassed when all you have to do is read up on the history of football in stoolwater.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2009, 07:21 PM
0 injuries

okiewaker
11/21/2009, 07:25 PM
2010 we put 8 on the shelf. IMO

Curly Bill
11/21/2009, 07:26 PM
2010 we put 8 on the shelf. IMO

8 of what? ;)

StoopTroup
11/21/2009, 07:27 PM
STEP is correct. Even though we were badly banged up when we pulled out the win in stoolwater in 2000....we didn't have any season ending injuries.

Fans really need to understand just how important that fact is. We also need to encourage the young guys on the Team as I'm sure watching this many players get hurt this year is also having an impact on morale.

I sure hope it's a sea of Crimson Saturday in Norman.

okiewaker
11/21/2009, 07:40 PM
2010 as I see it. Josh will round Landry to H-man form, like he did with White and Bradford. Offensive line will learn from this year and be more experienced, Wr's have another year under the belt, and Calhoun and Murray, if Murray comes back, will be better. The D as a total, even if only Mccoy leaves ,will be stout. Anyway, we will be fine next year.

aero
11/21/2009, 08:08 PM
I thought Josh and Torrance were brought in after Blake. I'm thinking we don't win it in 2000 without those 2.

soonervegas
11/21/2009, 08:32 PM
If a certain brother was still here I think we probably are 2-2 in the big game.....maybe, just maybe 3-1. Mike was great, great D Coonrdinator and Assistant Head Coach.

Blake has nothing to do with anything...

S008NER
11/21/2009, 08:43 PM
hate feeling like they stand a better chance of not embarrassing their fan base a la OU in any of our most recent trips to the BCS championship game.

Bah.

Based on what? Have you watched Florida or Alabama this year?

Salt City Sooner
11/21/2009, 09:24 PM
Personally, I was far from embarrassed last year. OU lost to the Gators in Florida in a very tightly played contest in which their playmaker made a couple of plays, while ours was sidelined with a knee injury. It happens.

OUHOMER
11/21/2009, 10:15 PM
well , we better get one soon. Everybody know the world ends in 2012

rainiersooner
11/21/2009, 11:56 PM
If a certain brother was still here I think we probably are 2-2 in the big game.....maybe, just maybe 3-1. Mike was great, great D Coonrdinator and Assistant Head Coach.

Blake has nothing to do with anything...

You think we lost in '03 and '08 because of our defense?

Sooner in the Bluegrass
11/21/2009, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Sooner Boy
hate feeling like they stand a better chance of not embarrassing their fan base a la OU in any of our most recent trips to the BCS championship game.

Bah.

Not that I don't share your inclination toward pessimism, but it remains to be seen what the shorthorns do or don't do in Pasadena. Don't concede superiority to 'em until they've earned it.

Based on what? Have you watched Florida or Alabama this year?

Oh, indeed. That SEC CG looks to be like the NFC Championship game circa 1990-1996.

Ground_Attack
11/22/2009, 12:37 AM
Two things:

1. When we won it all in 2000, there was some talk of Stoops doing it with Blake's players. Given how things have gone since then, how much more does it seem that was the case?

2. I'm hating that since we've won our last National Championship, texas has won one and looks to have secured a spot in another. And I hate feeling like they stand a better chance of not embarrassing their fan base a la OU in any of our most recent trips to the BCS championship game.

Bah.

I think its sad that "your" football team can embarrass you. Its a damn game. Its not like you went out there and dropped 10 passes and didn't tackle the other team. It has nothing to do with you. A lot of people need a real dose of reality.

spatton713
11/22/2009, 01:16 AM

our luck will be set to play for the 2012 championship in january 2013 against a big10 ten team and the world will end hahahaha and well never find out lol

VA Sooner
11/22/2009, 01:24 AM
Need lots of work to get number 8 next year. Too much to improve in just one spring.

Lots of injuries to overcome... need to go back out and recruit just about everything.

Except another soccer player. Good kicks!

fadada1
11/22/2009, 07:25 AM

what worries me when i read into this - it probably means osu is in a national championship game. but just to make it better, if it is all suppose to end on 12/21/12, osu won't even play in the game. that would be fitting for the pokes.

AlbqSooner
11/22/2009, 07:35 AM
Under Blake, Sam Braford would have been a cornerback.

rawlingsHOH
11/22/2009, 03:35 PM
Two things:

Bah.

LOL

OU played for the National Title last year, and two plays, or a penalty away, or a drop, from winning it.

Where were "Blake's players"?

I'll tell you.... SELLING INSURANCE!

PLaw
11/22/2009, 03:54 PM
Yeah Blake is responsible for 6 Big XII Championships and Four trips to the MNC. .

I don't give a sh*** about conference championships - at OU, these are the expected norm. To that point, we have more than 40 of these.

The "effin'" thing that matters in NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. These are the goal and these are difficult and rare. Switzer threw away at least three, maybe four. Bob has let three slip by.

Sooners expect to win the Big XII every darn year - it's news when we do not. Sooners expect to be in the NATIONAL title talk - it's news when we are not.

Get a grip Sooner Nation - mediocrity and complacency are cancers that may begin slow, but when these are allowed to incubate and are not ruthlessly extracted become destructive and lethal.

Bob and Co. need to extract this lack of intensity and sense of entitlement or we are headed straight for the 2nd tier of the Big XII.

Boomer

rawlingsHOH
11/22/2009, 04:00 PM
I don't give a sh*** about conference championships - at OU, these are the expected norm. To that point, we have more than 40 of these.

The "effin'" thing that matters in NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. These are the goal and these are difficult and rare. Switzer threw away at least three, maybe four. Bob has let three slip by.

Sooners expect to win the Big XII every darn year - it's news when we do not. Sooners expect to be in the NATIONAL title talk - it's news when we are not.

Winning the Big 12 is a lot more impressive than winning the Big 6. If you want to talk about 'more than 40'.

Get a grip Sooner Nation - mediocrity and complacency are cancers that may begin slow, but when these are allowed to incubate and are not ruthlessly extracted become destructive and lethal.

Bob and Co. need to extract this lack of intensity and sense of entitlement or we are headed straight for the 2nd tier of the Big XII.

Boomer
You are being completely irrational. Try to take your emotion out of it and look at the situation objectively. OU suffered more significant injuries than any team I've ever followed this year.

StoopTroup
11/22/2009, 04:13 PM
Plaw...

Winning the Big XII is how Bob has gotten to the MNC four times. Anyone with a brain can figure that out.

Now...

Since he's won 6 Big XII CGs...he's been to the big Game more than any Coach in the Big XII. On top of that Leach, Mangino and Pelini were all Coaches under Bob who compete with him for the title every year. They are all using us as the bar. Beat OU and you keep your job. Lose and get ready to have to answer for it.

Brown was on the chopping block when Bob had him down five in a row. They stayed with him and he delivered a MNC with Vince Young. They choked away an opportunity last year and we all had to endure the whorn whining.

This year is filled with more problems and drama than we've faced since Bob came to Norman.

What it gets down to is this. Stoops is the best thing to happen to OU since Switzer posted number 3. He's the reason you expect to win every year. He's the reason you've watched our Team play in 4 MNCs. He's the reason you'll be back next year with the same expectations.

You really ought to be kissing his *** IMO.