PDA

View Full Version : Is Landry the Answer?

westcoast_sooner
11/21/2009, 06:56 PM
This is not a thread to knock on the kid. I think Landry Jones has played well at times this season. But it does seem that he starts slow, and hasn't made some of the adjustments he needs to make to make a play. Granted his receivers could have helped him a little more. And also granted, that Landry has made some really good throws, and played very well at times, certainly given the circumstances. But the question isn't really whether Landry should be pulled, but more is he the future? Will Drew Allen (a 3 star guy like Sam) be able to beat him out during the Spring? What say you?

ouhomer123
11/21/2009, 06:58 PM
ALL I GOT TO SAY ABOUT THIS IS....LET THE BEST MAN WIN IN THE SPRING.

OK2LA
11/21/2009, 06:59 PM
What was the question?

Soonerus
11/21/2009, 06:59 PM
I hope Landry can improve but now he locks on one receiver and rarely throws the ball in the right location...

kelloggOUballa
11/21/2009, 07:01 PM
I don't think Landry has earned the job yet. Both need to get reps in the Spring, and we will see who wins. Also, I don't know if Blake Bell plans to enroll in the spring or next fall. If it's the spring, give him a cut at it too.

Curly Bill
11/21/2009, 07:03 PM
Throw the job wide open and may the best man win.

JLEW1818
11/21/2009, 07:04 PM
i think Jones moves to guard next season

Eielson
11/21/2009, 07:05 PM
When you average 1.8 yards a carry and give up 41 points the problem is usually not the quarterback. The defense has obviously played well most games, but we haven't ran well all year.

starclassic tama
right now he is because he's all we've got

Curly Bill

Dude, quit stealing my schtick! :P

JLEW1818
11/21/2009, 07:06 PM
hehe

tulsaoilerfan
I think the job should be wide open in the spring

Soonerus

Best guard in the history of OU football...

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2009, 07:07 PM
like others have posted, make it a wide open competition...

westcoast_sooner
11/21/2009, 07:08 PM
Well, he did make a block or two today. or should I say "half-hearted attempt" at a block....

StoopTroup
11/21/2009, 07:09 PM
I hope he gets it in his mind to continue to learn and be the best damn QB he can be. I hope the pressure he's under to win doesn't get to him. I hope he makes it so hard on any QB coming to Norman that for them to get the starting job....they will have to play better then Sam Bradford on his best day.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/21/2009, 07:16 PM
I hope Landry can improve but now he locks on one receiver and rarely throws the ball in the right location...

This is just wrong, Rus.

I saw Landry ripping through progressions today. Quicker than I've seen him all year. Wasn't exactly the sharpest with his throws, but in the eyes department, he's improved a ton.

Killerbees
11/21/2009, 07:26 PM
He is improving on his reads.

Okie35
11/21/2009, 07:29 PM
Throw the job wide open and may the best man win.

I agree. I mean LJ is good. He needs to work on his reads a little more. I see lots of upside though and most of his ints came from tips that the receivers don't catch.

westcoast_sooner
11/21/2009, 07:30 PM
Stoop - I'm with ya. Landry had to step in in an absolutely horrible situation. But his growth to date, hasn't been what we saw from Sam during his RS Freshman season.

westcoast_sooner
11/21/2009, 07:31 PM
IMO, he needs to make better decisions about when to step up in the pocket, and when to throw the ball away.

Jdog
11/21/2009, 07:32 PM
He is improving on his reads.

you've got to be kidding me.

Okie35
11/21/2009, 07:32 PM
IMO, he needs to make better decisions about when to step up in the pocket, and when to throw the ball away.

Sometimes he does it well sometimes he doesn't. There are times he holds the ball too much then again there are times he scrambles and finds an open receiver.

Curly Bill
11/21/2009, 07:34 PM
He's inconsistent in most every aspect of the QB game -- that should be somewhat expected in a young QB. That being said: he certainly has not (IMO) locked the job up and should have to compete for it in the Spring.

MALE918
11/21/2009, 08:33 PM
I'm saying this while i take many circumstances into consideration.
1: he has a terrible offensive line.
2: tennell couldn't catch a cold.
3: the coaches didn't establish an identity in the run game to take the game off the shoulders of a freshman qb.
4: no tight end.

but
1: when the o-line does do a good job - he hangs his tackles out by not stepping up into the pocket.
2: he has no clue how to read defenses - so he locks on one receiver until he thinks he comes open.
3: because he locks on one receiver he tends to throw into double coverage.
4: for a qb; he is not very accurate.
5: the l.j. at the end of the year is the same l.j. at the beginning of the year. very little if any development.

Sooner70
11/21/2009, 08:34 PM
Guys, even if Bradford was out there, the results would be some better, but not light years ahead of where we're at now. The supporting cast just isn't there on offense. It's a mediocre unit, at best. No consistent blocking for running game. Got some good backs, but no holes to run thru. Bradford threw to players who could make a play....catch the ball and do YAC. Not much of that here.....Broyles is good and some of the others are coming along Kenney, but some just aren't.....my gosh...Tennell is a picture of inconsistency....once in a while, he makes a good catch or throws a key block.....but a lot of time it's just drops.

MALE918
11/21/2009, 08:34 PM
oh sorry. to answer the question. wide open tryouts

mightysooner
11/21/2009, 08:35 PM
What concerns me about Landry is he demonstrates a total lack of pocket awareness. He doesn't feel pressure around him and move accordingly up in, or out of, the pocket. You can't coach that. It's something all great QB's have. He doesn't seem to have it.

His reads are also terrible because they're non existent. He bird dogs his go to receiver on every snap. I'm thinking there's a big chance he may not start at Oklahoma next season.

TXBOOMER
11/21/2009, 08:38 PM
Agreed...May the best man win the job!

Boooom!
11/21/2009, 08:39 PM
If right now was the beginning of the season with Jones starting, he would have been pulled at the half, or shortly in the 3rd, and his "competition" given a try.

Unless our other QBs throw like linemen, I'd say Jones does not get the nod next year. And boy oh boy if he does, and lays an egg in a game, whoa unto the coaches.

SWFloridaSooner
11/21/2009, 10:09 PM
Let me begin by saying that I like Landry Jones. He got shoved into the #1 position in a hurry and he had some pretty big shoes to fill. HOWEVER, imo he does lock onto one receiver and is easy to read. I always know where he is going and if I know, I guarantee the defense knows. I feel for the guy, but I don't think he lives up to what we have come to expect from an OU quarterback. I've heard rumors about Charles Thompson's son? Anyone have details?

MamaMia
11/21/2009, 10:13 PM
May each quarterback be given the same consideration, and may the best man for the job win it.

BoulderSooner79
11/21/2009, 10:14 PM
Jones certainly didn't win the starters tag going into next spring. But I don't think he'll be doubted either; I'm looking for an open competition in both spring and fall camp.

TUSooner
11/21/2009, 10:21 PM
I don't know if he locks on or goes through his progressions. But he's either telegraphing his target or choosing the wrong target, because many throws today and vs Nebbish were into good coverage. Some of those passes could have been caught -- by Randy Moss or Marques Colston -- but not by our receivers. Then there's this:

1: he has a terrible offensive line. AMEN - the #1 deficiency throughout the year
3: the coaches didn't establish an identity in the run game to take the game off the shoulders of a freshman qb. See 1, above
4: no tight end....

tulsaoilerfan
11/21/2009, 10:38 PM
Let me begin by saying that I like Landry Jones. He got shoved into the #1 position in a hurry and he had some pretty big shoes to fill. HOWEVER, imo he does lock onto one receiver and is easy to read. I always know where he is going and if I know, I guarantee the defense knows. I feel for the guy, but I don't think he lives up to what we have come to expect from an OU quarterback. I've heard rumors about Charles Thompson's son? Anyone have details?

About all i know is he's a High School Jr and he's commited to OU; never seen him play and don't know anything else about him

tulsaoilerfan
11/21/2009, 10:39 PM
I think the main reason Landry looked good the first couple of games was the D-coordinators had absolutely no film to look at; once they saw him in action they have been able to game plan against him and expose his weaknesses

StoopTroup
11/21/2009, 10:40 PM
I'll take Landry over the Car Salesman anyday.

htownsooner7
11/21/2009, 11:20 PM
No. He's okay. Probably a very good quarterback at a lesser level. let's be clear. In New Mexico, football is not that great. He then redshirted. Unfortunately, he got thrust into the big time. Its clear, 3rd and 8, he aint the guy. The o line isn't very good, I grant you that. But I can count on one hand the times he stepped up or scrambled and made a great play. He just doesn't have the "gamer" factor that you are looking for.

Soonerus
11/21/2009, 11:23 PM
He's not the guy this year...

getrdone
11/21/2009, 11:27 PM
why don't we go after a dual threat qb? what good does it to run the spread if the qb is never a threat to run? i know, i know, jason white and sam were awesome and led us to big 12 titles-but remember against florida how we had to honor qb run(can't bring myself to say his name). it makes the defense have something else to worry about-we seem to not want to do that offensively-i can't figure this out. mccoy's running hurt us the last two years-not much this year-but it hurt us-we need a qb who is a threat to run and open things up some.

as for receiver-i've been thinking about emailing every hs coach in the nation asking for film on receivers.

we have 5 ol committs coming next yr-hell all five of them may start day one-the kid from cedar hill tx is a stud-seen him in person!

UteSooner
11/21/2009, 11:48 PM
Landry will be a fine qb. O-line has to be one of the worst in the country- if there is no run game and no protection it's impossible for anyone to impress at qb, let alone a freshman. Receiver play hasn't always helped either.

Sam wasn't great in away games as a frosh either--I'd say lay off the kid. These are team losses--not Landry losses.

UteSooner
11/21/2009, 11:49 PM
Although a dual threat qb does sound nice...

MamaMia
11/21/2009, 11:54 PM
I think the main reason Landry looked good the first couple of games was the D-coordinators had absolutely no film to look at; once they saw him in action they have been able to game plan against him and expose his weaknesses
^^^^
...This

Curly Bill
11/22/2009, 12:04 AM
why don't we go after a dual threat qb? what good does it to run the spread if the qb is never a threat to run? i know, i know, jason white and sam were awesome and led us to big 12 titles-but remember against florida how we had to honor qb run(can't bring myself to say his name). it makes the defense have something else to worry about-we seem to not want to do that offensively-i can't figure this out. mccoy's running hurt us the last two years-not much this year-but it hurt us-we need a qb who is a threat to run and open things up some.

as for receiver-i've been thinking about emailing every hs coach in the nation asking for film on receivers.

we have 5 ol committs coming next yr-hell all five of them may start day one-the kid from cedar hill tx is a stud-seen him in person!

Blake Bell

getrdone
11/22/2009, 12:06 AM
um blake bell is a pro style qb according to websites i have researched him on, and they also say he is 1-2 years from taking the reins. now those experts could be wrong-but he is listed as a pro style qb.

achiro
11/22/2009, 12:09 AM
3: the coaches didn't establish an identity in the run game to take the game off the shoulders of a freshman qb.

but
1: when the o-line does do a good job - he hangs his tackles out by not stepping up into the pocket.
2: he has no clue how to read defenses - so he locks on one receiver until he thinks he comes open.
3: because he locks on one receiver he tends to throw into double coverage.
4: for a qb; he is not very accurate.
5: the l.j. at the end of the year is the same l.j. at the beginning of the year. very little if any development.
Many of the tips are because he puts it in a bad spot for the receiver. He also is putting the receivers in pretty bad spots at times, like he's lucky he hasn't gotten one killed. Hopefully he will get better but I have seen little improvement of it through pretty much an entire season now.

No. He's okay. Probably a very good quarterback at a lesser level. let's be clear. In New Mexico, football is not that great. He then redshirted. Unfortunately, he got thrust into the big time. Its clear, 3rd and 8, he aint the guy. The o line isn't very good, I grant you that. But I can count on one hand the times he stepped up or scrambled and made a great play. He just doesn't have the "gamer" factor that you are looking for.
This is my biggest concern. My hope is that because he is young and still learning that he is just thinking to much to be emotional/or a leader

westcoast_sooner
11/22/2009, 12:25 AM
Guys, even if Bradford was out there, the results would be some better, but not light years ahead of where we're at now. The supporting cast just isn't there on offense. It's a mediocre unit, at best. No consistent blocking for running game. Got some good backs, but no holes to run thru. Bradford threw to players who could make a play....catch the ball and do YAC. Not much of that here.....Broyles is good and some of the others are coming along Kenney, but some just aren't.....my gosh...Tennell is a picture of inconsistency....once in a while, he makes a good catch or throws a key block.....but a lot of time it's just drops.
Love the comment. We have some good backs. We have some good receivers. But we have inconsistency. That has to change.

westcoast_sooner
11/22/2009, 12:33 AM
Many of the tips are because he puts it in a bad spot for the receiver. He also is putting the receivers in pretty bad spots at times, like he's lucky he hasn't gotten one killed. Hopefully he will get better but I have seen little improvement of it through pretty much an entire season now.

This is my biggest concern. My hope is that because he is young and still learning that he is just thinking to much to be emotional/or a leader
The consistent inconsistency about Landry I've noticed is that he seems to throw behind his guys. I would expect that from guys who had to come in off the bench, or from a guy that is starting his first or 2nd game, but he's still doing that 11 games in.

So is Landry improving? Is he worthy of awarding him the starting job for next season automatically, or should the job be open and up for grabs based on who comes in and is better through spring and fall practice betweeen Blake Bell, Drew Allen or Landry?

Soonerus
11/22/2009, 12:38 AM
He also throws high consistently...

Blues1
11/22/2009, 12:43 AM
Is Landry the Answer?

No....

Curly Bill
11/22/2009, 12:43 AM
um blake bell is a pro style qb according to websites i have researched him on, and they also say he is 1-2 years from taking the reins. now those experts could be wrong-but he is listed as a pro style qb.

Many of these same websites had Adron Tennell as one of the top 100 prospects in the nation when he was coming out too. :O

Soonerus
11/22/2009, 12:46 AM
Tennell is a bust...

Ground_Attack
11/22/2009, 12:48 AM
you just figuring that out rus?

Curly Bill
11/22/2009, 12:49 AM
Tennell is a perfect example of a kid that had all the measurables, but just wasn't, and certainly isn't, a very good football player.

TJKDone
11/22/2009, 12:57 AM
A RFR with a very poor offensive line is going to struggle even if he is Sam Bradford. What should cause heads to roll in Sooner land is the management of OL. Some due to injuries others due to defections and improper recruiting numbers at the positions. 10-15 OL south of the RR that OU could have and develop into winners every year. No excuse for the OL management.

Landry is the positive for the season. If his confidence isn't gone he will almost certainly be stronger and probably a good bit. Blake Bell, may be great/may not, measurables don't always translate huh Bill.

Hook'em

prrriiide
11/22/2009, 01:09 AM
We'll just have to see who emerges at the end of 2-a-days next year.

That said:

People...GET A GRIP!!!

Payton Manning or Ben Roethlisberger would miss 8 out of 10 3rd and 8's with this OL and group of receivers!!! The ONLY receiver that has shown that he can CONSISTENTLY catch the ball AND do something with it after he catches it is Broyles. The "best lineman that our OC has coached at OU" is getting beaten like he owes the defensive ends money. And he's the best we have! The rest would have trouble run-blocking and pass-protecting against teams in the Missouri Valley Conference. It's not easy to get through your reads when you have less than 3 seconds to do it.

And speaking of reads, what do you expect LJ to do on his reads with this group of skillet-hands? Say Pooh is the #1 on a deep out. Well, we all know he's less than 50-50 on catching the ball. Move on to #2 expiditiously, say Kenney on a post. He's been slightly better, but not a safe bet. That moves you to #3; Broyles across the middle. If it seems like he's staring Broyles down it's because if the first two have a defender within the same zip code, it's even money they don't catch it, even if LJ has the time to set and make an accurate throw. Which happens about 3 times a game. If you know you're going to Broyles in the first place, you can't waste time you don't have by looking off to the primary and secondary receivers. By the time LJ looks off the defenders, he's picking turf out of his facemask.

And the running game...sheeeyat. This zone blocking BS is killing our running game. Fire out, and knock someone on thier arse. Open a hole. When the OL has managed to open a little crease for DM or CB, they usually have busted it for 6-10 yards or more. More often, the OL is getting shoved right back into the hole they're trying to open because they aren't firing out with a vengeance. This is a scheme/coaching problem. There is a (glaring) weakness, and the solution seems to have been to keep hitting their heads against the brick wall in hopes of finally breaking through. With DM and CB in the backfield, finding a running game should have been priority one when Sam went down vs. BYU. If it means a rugby scrum formation and 3 yards and a cloud of dust, so be it. But the coaches saw fit to force the issue onto an untried 19 year old RSFr's arm. I will never understand that aspect of this season.

C'mon, Sooner fans. We're better than this...heaping the criticism that needs to be borne by the entire squad onto one guy.

There aren't many RSFr. in the country that can or have performed at the level LJ has this season. Sure he's had his brain farts. But remember this: when a QB has a brain fart, it costs points and games. When a WR or OL has a brain fart, it costs downs and distances. But when you have enough down and distance brain farts, even the most brilliant NFL QB can't overcome it.

bpgolf82
11/22/2009, 01:15 AM
Landry sucks. You suck. I suck.

VA Sooner
11/22/2009, 01:18 AM
Well, he did make a block or two today. or should I say "half-hearted attempt" at a block....

Needed Hybl blocking. ;)

Jdog
11/22/2009, 01:21 AM
-I don't understand why he continues to throw to Tennell.
-He only throws 1 long ball a game.
-He's a back up level QB
--------
Sooners have only won 1 road game all year.

Do any of our Players have any fat little girl friends?

anyone see Nichol throw his TD pass today?

westcoast_sooner
11/22/2009, 01:27 AM
Priide - good points - too bad you waited til page 3 to voice your opinions. This is not a thread to criticize Landry, just to ask the question if he's the guy or should the coaching staff open up the competition with Bell (assuming he signs), Allen and Jones come spring.

Landry has done some good things. But is he the guy to take us to the next Sooner MNC game?

MALE918
11/22/2009, 03:33 AM

adding a 5th is a depth issue. another thing to throw on the fire. it seems almost like a lifetime ago, but remember the bomar/quinn issue. that was 06. we lost scholarships for that situation - which i think would have started in 07. there was also another lesser incident (i believe in 07). that we self reported and self punished by losses of a scholarship or 2. that would have taken effect in 08. just something else to think about. I know it was a small number (probably totaling under 8) but it seems like all the numbers are important right now.

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/22/2009, 04:13 AM
This is just wrong, Rus.

I saw Landry ripping through progressions today. Quicker than I've seen him all year. Wasn't exactly the sharpest with his throws, but in the eyes department, he's improved a ton.

what game were you watching? I rarely saw LJ go through progressions. he knew where he wanted to throw the ball when they approached the line of scrimmage, and it din't change--regardless of what the defense was showing.
he has done that all season, without improvement.

sendbaht
11/22/2009, 05:39 AM
Agreed...May the best man win the job!

But what happends if the best man is not that good just better then the other one. Was hoping to have a edge on QB over texas next year, now it looks like we have 2 rookies at the same level in the RRS. Crap o la.

IronHorseSooner
11/22/2009, 09:44 AM
I'm not an expert on QBs (I was a kicker for God's sake), or on the offense, but EVERY position next year, on O or D, needs full and open competition. In Soonerland, a season like this is NOT acceptable. If Landry is the answer at QB, so be it. If not, get Drew or Blake in there. If DM can't hit the hole, and Calhoun, Miller, Finch, or Clay can, then sit him down as well. If Broyles hotdogs it out there, then get another guy who can. I like Jaz Reynolds and DeJuan Miller, they are just young, too. No OL should consider his job safe, and that's a given. If the five guys we have coming in next year are as good as advertised, and they aren't afraid to mix it up, then let them start. Those guys are already contacting each other on what to do when they get here, from what I've seen on some recruiting sites. Even on D, if guys like RJ Washington, McFarland, Ronnell Lewis, Tom Wort, Hurst, and Trice are gamers, then they should lead the charge on that side next year. Right now, the only two guys that I would pencil in as "safe" for next year are Tress at punter and Paddy O'Hara at kicker. BTW, one of those two needs to replace Moreland. he can't even get it into the end zone with the wind at his back!

the_sooners_abide
11/22/2009, 10:15 AM
forget about just the qb's...every position on the field should be an open competition during the spring and summer. except kicker. patty o'hara is a beast. the AD of kickers.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2009, 11:13 AM
The plan was to have Jones go into open competition for the QB job next spring and I don't see that changing due to the early call of duty. The PT should be an advantage for him only if it made him better, not because he has a leg up in the coaches mind.

King Barry's Back
11/22/2009, 02:35 PM
Some of you called for a "mobile QB."

I think you are missing the point.

We've had mobile QBs. Paul Thompson was mobile enough to be a wide receiver, and Bradford has on rare occasion (Heisman moment) displayed his mobility.

The fact is that Bob Stoops himself forbids his QBs to run with the ball.

Why? Speculation, but I'd say Jason White's knees might be a factor.

Stoops has stated this publicly -- He does not want his QBs to run. He forbid Bomar to run, and then publicly called him out for doing it anyway.

He just doesn't believe the risk of injury (and certain loss) is worth the gain of running the QB.

I am not sure I agree with him, but concede that his position does sound logical to me.

Blues1
11/22/2009, 03:03 PM
"I am not sure I agree with him, but concede that his position does sound logical to me."

Sounds More Logical to win those games we lose by 7 points or less ~~` If we only did that these season we would be 10 and 1 at this point ~ Not 6 and 5 -- :(
Byu -1 point loss
miami - 1 point loss
texas - 3 point loss
nebraska - 7 point loss
Solution ~~~ Find a Running & Passing QB -- and Lets Win More games - jmho...!!

tulsaoilerfan
11/22/2009, 03:38 PM
Two of the top 3 teams in the country have QB's that are threats to run the ball; 1 has been a 4 year starter, the other started for 3 years and played a ton as a freshman; so far neither of them has missed more than 1 game during those 4 seasons despite being chased around the field every week; maybe it's time for Bob to rethink his position about letting his QB's run

rawlingsHOH
11/22/2009, 03:49 PM
Landry has been very good for a frosh QB, behind a frosh OL, throwing to frosh WRs.

He's got a bright future!

Sam was lights out in 2007, but it is a little different playing with all juniors and experienced guys.

Blues1
11/22/2009, 03:51 PM
Two of the top 3 teams in the country have QB's that are threats to run the ball; 1 has been a 4 year starter, the other started for 3 years and played a ton as a freshman; so far neither of them has missed more than 1 game during those 4 seasons despite being chased around the field every week; maybe it's time for Bob to rethink his position about letting his QB's run

And They Both Will most Likely Play for THE NATIONAL Championship.....

Maybe a Trend.....!!!

Curly Bill
11/22/2009, 03:52 PM
For a spread offense to be most effective the QB needs to be a threat to run even if he doesn't do it often.

Last year with Sam was somewhat an exception because he was so good, and had so many weapons, he didn't need to be much of a running threat.

If you handcuff yourself with a QB who can't run, or whom you won't allow to run, you are making yourself easier to defend.

TXBOOMER
11/22/2009, 03:54 PM
Landry has been very good for a frosh QB, behind a frosh OL, throwing to frosh WRs.

He's got a bright future!

Sam was lights out in 2007, but it is a little different playing with all juniors and experienced guys.

Landry is not playing with the talent Sam had. We get that. Regardless, Landry is not, nor ever will be as talented as Sam. Sam was great. It is rare to get a great QB. Hopefully Landry will be good one day. Right now he is really good against crap defenses and really bad against good defenses.

Blues1
11/22/2009, 03:58 PM
For a spread offense to be most effective the QB needs to be a threat to run even if he doesn't do it often.

Last year with Sam was somewhat an exception because he was so good, and had so many weapons, he didn't need to be much of a running threat.

If you handcuff yourself with a QB who can't run, or whom you won't allow to run, you are making yourself easier to defend.

Amen & Amen --- I know I've sounded off about this too much already -- But this is what I saw ALL season --- Landry hands off to the middle - fakes a end sweep - and IF he would have kept the ball.... ~ With a little more speed a First Down at least ....Once again jmho....

rawlingsHOH
11/22/2009, 04:02 PM
Landry is not playing with the talent Sam had. We get that. Regardless, Landry is not, nor ever will be as talented as Sam. Sam was great. It is rare to get a great QB. Hopefully Landry will be good one day. Right now he is really good against crap defenses and really bad against good defenses.

He's already a good player. I understand avg fan struggles to understand the complexity of 11 men working together on a football field. But you are only as strong as your weakest link, and that is far from Jones.

TXBOOMER
11/22/2009, 04:13 PM
He's already a good player. I understand avg fan struggles to understand the complexity of 11 men working together on a football field. But you are only as strong as your weakest link, and that is far from Jones.

LOL. Dude you refuse to admit Landry has accuracy issues. He throws it all over the place and locks in on his primary receiver. I fully understand his O L is not good. I'm not Vince Lombardi like you, but I understand football. I admit it is much more complex with the schemes than it was when I played but Landry has been very average when the heat is on. I think you played high school ball with him.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/22/2009, 08:57 PM
LOL. Dude you refuse to admit Landry has accuracy issues. He throws it all over the place and locks in on his primary receiver. I fully understand his O L is not good. I'm not Vince Lombardi like you, but I understand football. I admit it is much more complex with the schemes than it was when I played but Landry has been very average when the heat is on. I think you played high school ball with him.

Guys, seriously. Watch your film. Take a deep breath and WATCH. THE. FILM.

Multiple instances show Landry going through his post-snap checks. The times he eyes down his primary, he usually goes to his primary. Regardless of what we think through our crimson-colored glasses and the power of Josh Heupel in coaching quarterbacks, when he looks down his primary the majority of the time it's from a pre-snap check. Which in and of itself is changing the play to act as a pre-snap read which in turn changes his primary look when necessary to give that primary a better look in accordance with the coverage. So do me a favor. Watch the film. Watch him hit his checks. And pay attention to something else...

His fundamentals.

He gets in his heels, the source of his high balls. He blocks his left shoulder in, one of the sources of his being behind the receiver. He gets poor weight transfer, which keeps him in his heels and doesn't let his shoulder open, which in turn leaks tons of velocity and also affects his accuracy. He hasn't been pulling his eyes off the downfield looks on pressure lately, which is a huge step for a freshman. He CAN do all these other things correctly, and he has. When he's comfortable. When he's settled. When he's torching A&M by eleventy brazillion points and when he's getting enough time, perceived or actual, to go three deep in a progression when the progressions have GOT to be limited in and of themselves to keep the offense digestable for a redshirt freshman, ESPECIALLY when you're running your pre-snap from the pressbox.

You guys are burning him at the stake for things the kid ain't doing. In no way whatsoever am I saying it isn't the kid's fault, because he can still stand to fix a LOT of things. One of which being comfortable enough in the pocket to still play sound fundamental football whether there's pressure or not. But to burn the kid in effigy because he's supposedly not going through progressions?

That's plain and simply wrong. And if that's your argument as to the failings of Landry Jones, you need to learn some football.

okiedokie
11/22/2009, 09:02 PM
I have to say that Landry was kinda thrown to the wolves this season....

TXBOOMER
11/22/2009, 09:21 PM
Tulsa Fire...I only get the TV view. I would like to get the coach'es tape so I could see the entire defensive set and watch these WR's run the routes see what Landry reads etc. But going up to the line doing a pre-snap check of the D doesn't do a lot of good if a lineman drop back in coverage or a LB jumps into a throwing lane of a RB or WR your eyes are locked on etc. I've SEEN that on several occasions. I am the first one to admit he doesn't have time to do a lot with the ball. My point on this thread is to simply point out that I am not convinced he is the man for the future and I actually hope Blake Bell comes in here and knocks the coach'es socks off and is the next Stud QB. I would like to see a QB and offensive scheme that utilizes the zone read with a QB that is a run threat as well and with KW here I don't think that is gonna happen.

prrriiide
11/22/2009, 10:02 PM
Landry is not playing with the talent Sam had. We get that.

Apparently not, since you guys keep throwing him under the bus every time OU loses, yet fail to ask "Is Corey Brandon the answer?" Or "Is Ben Habern the answer?" Or "Is Cameron Kenney the answer?" Every player on the team shares the responsibility for a loss. Every. Single. Player. Not one of them played anywhere near a good game yesterday, but the focus is on LJ. Why is that? Because he's the QB? Guess what? When you have a young QB and he is prone to making youthful mistakes (as ALL young QBs are), it is the DUTY of every player on the team to make his life easier. To help get him into a position where mistakes can be minimized and their impact lessened. I will keep saying it: if you put Payton Manning behind our OL AND gave him Dallas Clark, he would stink it up! It simply is not possible to progress through the reads and practice good throwing mechanics when you are running for your life. When you are up to your a$$ in alligators it's hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp!

Regardless, Landry is not, nor ever will be as talented as Sam.

Maybe not. But at least 3/4 of the D1 programs out there would give a king's ransom to have him as their starter.

Sam was great. It is rare to get a great QB.

Not really. There are all kinds of great QBs out there. The problem is, some of you want him to be Sam. But he isn't. He's Landry, and as long as y'all want Sam, you're going to be disappointed. Sam had the remarkably good fortune to become a starter a year AFTER most of his OL and skill players did. Not so with LJ, and the difference is a big as the Grand Canyon. He also had the remarkably good fortune of NOT following a legend. He had the luxury of 2 years of Bomar and Thompson to get the misty-eyed Jason White lovers converted. If Sam had been the starter in 2005, people would have crucified him for not being JW. Sam still doesn't have as pretty of a deep ball as JW had. The point is, expecting LJ to come in and play at the same level as Sam did when Sam first became a starter is ludicrous, and trying to predict future talent or value to the program is, at this point, pi$$ing in the wind and categorically unfair to the kid.

Hopefully Landry will be good one day.

Sorry, he's good now. He's also a RSFr with a team around him that takes peeing down your leg to an art form. Tell ya what. Watch yesterday's game. Count LJ's mistakes. Then count everyone else's mistakes: the blown blocks, the whiffed tackles, the lazy or incorrect patterns, the horrendous gap discipline, the incorrect blocking assignements...and then tell me who might not be the answer. Some of you are expecting LJ to polish the proverbial turd that our offense is at the moment.

Right now he is really good against crap defenses and really bad against good defenses.

Hmm. Kinda like his OC and the rest of the offense.

wishbonesooner
11/22/2009, 10:17 PM
I thought he was at first, now I'm not sure. He better improve a lot in the off season.

TXBOOMER
11/22/2009, 10:17 PM
1. OL and WR's are not the answer. Severe lack of talent
2. I agree 3/4 of D 1 would give Kings Ransom for LJ. 30 teams have better QB's.
3. It is tough to follow a legend, I'm spoiled because of Josh, Jason and Sam.
4. I don't get how people give LJ all of the credit when he puts up big numbers against soft defenses, but no blame when he gets shut down.
5. Totally agree. The entire offense including the LJ is horrible against good defenses.

Scott D
11/23/2009, 10:48 AM

to be fair, one of those teams has a future Tight End playing QB even if he is allegedly the father of God.

adoniijahsooner
11/23/2009, 11:09 AM
→Will Landry Jones start at quarterback in 2010?

The complaints were not as loud as they were after scoring just three points at Nebraska, but another lackluster performance by the offense on the road, this time producing just 13 points, begged the question.

"I don’t think that’s ever been the case here, that anyone has locked up any spots,” Wilson said. "You have to earn it in practice.”

Jones will have to hold off Drew Allen, who is redshirting this season and incoming freshman Blake Bell.

"There are no guarantees. You’re going to have to earn it,” Wilson said. "QB is a position where the guys have to respect you. Just because you’ve done it in the past, there’s no guarantees.”

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/article/3419594#ixzz0XhQioMap

goingoneight
11/23/2009, 12:45 PM
"I am not sure I agree with him, but concede that his position does sound logical to me."

Sounds More Logical to win those games we lose by 7 points or less ~~` If we only did that these season we would be 10 and 1 at this point ~ Not 6 and 5 -- :(
Byu -1 point loss
miami - 1 point loss
texas - 3 point loss
nebraska - 7 point loss
Solution ~~~ Find a Running & Passing QB -- and Lets Win More games - jmho...!!

With all due respect... hitting OUr field goals wins BYU, Texas, Nebraska. 9-2 ain't enough to please any fanbases' masses, because you always want more... but Tress Way missed a game-winner versus BYU and LANDRY JONES set the field goal up.
Jimmy Stevens missed a FG vs Tejas, and we played the field position game the rest of the game because no one had confidence in Jimmy, Tress, nor Matt Moreland.
How much of those games did OU hurt badly after the loss of Sam Bradford? Did Landry stink it up? No. Did he look like a freshman in over his head? Yes. Still, he had enough "swagger," or "talent" to put us in a position to win despite the handicaps on the OL and inconsistency at WR.

Also... having Gresham is what made Sam go from "good" to "great." Think about how many times OUr average WR corps would have looked All-World had Gresham been in the game commanding a double-coverage.

Nebraska was not one of those "classic" defensive performances. It was two pathetic offenses, and the younger QB unfortunately drowned. Despite his five picks, Tress Way missed out on 9 points worth of FGs. Clearly, an average WR corps, a poor OL, no TE and a freshman QB can't get the job done on the road against a good defense. Doesn't help the team that even though we have struggles offensively, we had to shank every oppurtunity to win. Think also what making a FG means for momentum which we never secured, not once.

Last year's offense had 8 seniors. LOAD, Duke, Coop, Walker, Braxton... all solid, if not GREAT guys for at least two years a piece. Never once did we have an OL injury in 2007 or 2008 that OUr top reserves, Trent Williams and Brian Simmons couldn't fill in for with great success. Not only is that a lot of starts, that's a lot of leadership and camraderie from a corps of great players never truly appreciated until they were gone. Remember all the people ripping Loadholt? Yeah... he may win a Super Bowl in his rookie season.

That's just the OL. At TE, we had Gresham the threat, Eldridge the warrior. In 2007, we had probably the best dual-purpose TE in the Stoops era in Joe Jon Finley aiding that corps. 2009 = not one has contributed. Damn that Finley for graduating... FIRE KEVIN WILSON!!! Stupid cartilage in Gresham's knee... FIRE JAMES PATTON!!! Eldridge doing whatever's necessary to help his team... FIRE BOB STOOPS!!! WE DONE GOTS NO SWAGGER NO MORE!!! Durrrrrr!!!!111!

Oh, yeah... for all the flak Quentin Chaney got for dropping what... four passes his freshman year? Him, Iglesias and Johnson might not have been "elite" ala MK, Clayton, Broyles, etc... but they were all four year guys.

So yeah, at times the 2007 and 2008 offense was a machine. When properly executed. Your car will get you to point B so long as you don't run it off the road or stall it out, too.

Landry is by FAR better than a one Rhett Bomar, whose 10-10 ratio and an average 2 fumbles per game, only one speed on every ball he threw, etc. was considered to be a Heisman candidate before the Big Red Sports dealio. He's not Sam Bradford, yeah... but how many freshman QB's ever have stepped into an offense tailor-made for a championship run? I've watched college football all my life, and I can only think of two... Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford.

Not too long ago the Great Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah lost five games in one season, too.

I seriously doubt TRUE FRESHMAN Drew Allen has 50 TDs in him standing behind the worst OL of the Stoops era, throwing to the weakest WR corps of the Stoops era. All things considered, Landry has lots of things to work on, but so did Sam Bradford in between year one and two. He's still done about as well as you can possibly do with what he has to work with. Growing up and growing together is something every part of this offense needs to do. Look at what a difference an off-season makes...

1999 Stoops defense couldn't help but let defeat snatch victory away from us. We then went on like a four-year run of outstanding defense starting in mid-2000. 2008's kickoff coverage absolutely stunk. We can all grunt and grumble all we want to, but it is VASTLY improve in 2009. 2002's offense just barely had it in them to win games... they went on to be scary-good in 2003 and 2004.

You just can't scrap together a championship run catching all the bad breaks we've caught this year. It's impossible. Quite honestly, I expected one of these games we'd just give up. Tech was just the straw that broke the camels back, unfortunately. Hopefully the team can get that out of their system an use these next two games to sharpen up for 2010.

Sooner04
11/23/2009, 01:15 PM
2002's offense just barely had it in them to win games... they went on to be scary-good in 2003 and 2004.
Our 2002 offense never failed to score less than 26 points.

OPSEC
11/23/2009, 01:25 PM
Jones can pull it off. Yeah he needs works on his reads. The boy reads novels while staring down the 1st option for petes sake. Anyway he has better numbers than pony boy and he is supposed to win the heisman this year.....Or is it the cumulative 4 years?

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 01:28 PM
Our 2002 offense never failed to score less than 26 points.
Our 2002 offense was loaded with seniors, and experienced players.

QB- senior
RB- senior
WR- senior
WR- senior
WR- sophomore
TE- senior
OL- fairly young, but got experienced getting their teeth kicked in, in 2001.

NormanPride
11/23/2009, 01:35 PM
to be fair, one of those teams has a future Tight End playing QB even if he is allegedly the father of God.

I don't care if our QB projects as a punter at the next level, as long as he's a great QB for OU.

Here's the stats on his home vs. road performance:

Home:

Attempts - 145
Completions - 93
Yards - 1308
TDs - 18
INTs - 4

Away:

Attempts - 161
Completions - 88
Yards - 947
TDs - 4
INTs - 7

His errors come from his comfort level, which is clearly not there on the road at all. Fireman talked about all the mechanical issues when he gets jittery, but I worry about his decision-making skills as well. He's repeatedly thrown into triple coverage and tries to fit balls into places they shouldn't even be near.

Regardless, the kid has done amazingly well at home considering the tools he has, and I believe he has a bright future once he figures out the whole road game thing. OSU is his first real test at home, but he's passed all the others with flying colors.

As to the thread's question, I believe the competition should be wide open. He has the advantage, but I hope the coaches don't just go with what they know rather than try something new that may work out well...

Scott D
11/23/2009, 07:19 PM
The funny thing is that in 2007 Sam Bradford didn't light the world on fire in road games. We lost two road games we shouldn't have, and probably should have lost one of the ones we did win (Iowa State). And that was with an experienced line (Relatively speaking) and Kelly, Iglesias, Johnson...along with Finley and Gresham.

When you start a freshman, you start a freshman...you get the good and the bad that go along with it.

Sooner04
11/23/2009, 09:17 PM
Well, Sam helped us to a 24-7 lead in Boulder. Hard to blame him there. More of a Reggie Smith thing.

Sam never had a chance in Lubbock because Allen Patrick fumbled early.

I was at the Iowa State game. We won 17-7. Sam did not play well. He was also victimized by some untimely fumbles from the running backs.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/23/2009, 09:22 PM
Defense ran out of gas against colorado...RS should not have been returning punts that day....dude was absolutely winded

Sam got his face broke in Lubbock and didnt play much

Iowa St game was a clusterbomb of fail..Luckily, ISU was void of any talent

Tulsa_Fireman
11/24/2009, 12:02 AM
Also... having Gresham is what made Sam go from "good" to "great." Think about how many times OUr average WR corps would have looked All-World had Gresham been in the game commanding a double-coverage.

If this was any more true, they'd stick it in the Bible.

With Gresham? No Cover 2 Wide with bump looks on the corners at Nebraska. Safety stays over, corners give some pad, and the high percentage stuff opens right up. And as a byproduct, that skinny Cover 2 will eventually open deep as the free starts to leak up to cover the under that the LBs can't make. We're successful in the air, Landry goes for 250+ and a couple of scores, and we beat Nebraska by 14.

All just because of Mr. Gresham ripping the seam in the Cover 2.

westcoast_sooner
11/24/2009, 01:19 AM
What are the odds of getting an All-World TE before Saturday?

rawlingsHOH
11/24/2009, 09:52 AM
Well, Sam helped us to a 24-7 lead in Boulder. Hard to blame him there. More of a Reggie Smith thing.

If you are going to "blame" Landry for Tech or Miami or BYU or Texas, you damn well better look at Bradford in Colorado.

TXBOOMER
11/24/2009, 10:05 AM
If you are going to "blame" Landry for Tech or Miami or BYU or Texas, you damn well better look at Bradford in Colorado.

I thought Reggie Smith played QB in that game.

PLaw
11/24/2009, 10:09 AM
This is not a thread to knock on the kid. I think Landry Jones has played well at times this season. But it does seem that he starts slow, and hasn't made some of the adjustments he needs to make to make a play. Granted his receivers could have helped him a little more. And also granted, that Landry has made some really good throws, and played very well at times, certainly given the circumstances. But the question isn't really whether Landry should be pulled, but more is he the future? Will Drew Allen (a 3 star guy like Sam) be able to beat him out during the Spring? What say you?

Landry could be the answer - and an off-season where he has to compete to earn the job next season will benefit him, Allen, and Bell.

Getting thrown into the fray behind an O-line that allowed a Heisman QB to have a season ending injury is probably more than a little unsettling.

If the O-line doesn't get shored up and receivers don't step up, then it won't matter who Stoops puts behind center.

BOOMER

PLaw
11/24/2009, 10:13 AM
What are the odds of getting an All-World TE before Saturday?

With 7 healthy TE's on the roster, it's more than a little concerning that one of them hasn't emerged to be any kind of threat.

Boomer

TXBOOMER
11/24/2009, 10:22 AM
Landry could be the answer - and an off-season where he has to compete to earn the job next season will benefit him, Allen, and Bell.

Getting thrown into the fray behind an O-line that allowed a Heisman QB to have a season ending injury is probably more than a little unsettling.

If the O-line doesn't get shored up and receivers don't step up, then it won't matter who Stoops puts behind center.

BOOMER

We lose Williams, Simmons, Eldridge. Definately the three best OL we have. Even if we have improvement by a couple of the guys that have showed little promise I struggle to see how whats left can possibly be better that what we have this year.

FaninAma
11/24/2009, 10:24 AM

I'd take the 24 points Bradford helped produce in the Colorado game in any of our losses. I think our record would be just a wee bit better.....especially considering our defense this year is much better than the unit that trotted out on the field against Colorado.

FaninAma
11/24/2009, 10:30 AM
We lose Williams, Simmons, Eldridge. Definately the three best OL we have. Even if we have improvement by a couple of the guys that have showed little promise I struggle to see how whats left can possibly be better that what we have this year.

Ask the coaches. They are the ones who let the program get down to 12 scholarship linemen on the roster. And I agree with you. It will take abnother couple of years to dig themselves out from under this problem caused by their short-sighted planning.

rawlingsHOH
11/24/2009, 10:30 AM
After 2001, we lost Frank Romero and Howard Duncan, our 2 best linemen. The 2002 line was significantly better.

After 2005, we lost Davin Joseph, Chris Chester, Kelvin Chaisson, our 3 best linemen. The 2006 line was significantly better.

You may struggle to see, but I've already seen it. We've played a ton of freshman. Your biggest improvement (many college athletes will tell you) is often from freshman to sophomore year. The game changes.

TXBOOMER
11/24/2009, 10:35 AM
After 2001, we lost Frank Romero and Howard Duncan, our 2 best linemen. The 2002 line was significantly better.

After 2005, we lost Davin Joseph, Chris Chester, Kelvin Chaisson, our 3 best linemen. The 2006 line was significantly better.

You may struggle to see, but I've already seen it. We've played a ton of freshman. Your biggest improvement (many college athletes will tell you) is often from freshman to sophomore year. The game changes.

LOL!

rawlingsHOH
11/24/2009, 10:35 AM
I'd take the 24 points Bradford helped produce in the Colorado game in any of our losses. I think our record would be just a wee bit better.....especially considering our defense this year is much better than the unit that trotted out on the field against Colorado.

I'll play! I'll play!

I think I'd take; Loadholt and Duke and Cooper and Gresham and Iglesias and Johnson, and the rest of the offensive studs that "trotted out" on the field against Colorado, over the MASH unit we "trotted out" in 2009.

Just Sayin

FaninAma
11/24/2009, 11:19 AM
I'll play! I'll play!

I think I'd take; Loadholt and Duke and Cooper and Gresham and Iglesias and Johnson, and the rest of the offensive studs that "trotted out" on the field against Colorado, over the MASH unit we "trotted out" in 2009.

Just Sayin
So you're saying that OU had at least 2 years
where they had quality talent on the OL but
yet the coaching staff failed to recruit and retain
ANY depth or replacements? So you agree the coaching
staff failed the offense.

Good, as long as we agree.

BTW, if Jones had produced only one clanker
game on the road I would agree with your assessment.
But he has played very poorly away from Owen field
in every game.

rawlingsHOH
11/24/2009, 12:23 PM
So you're saying that OU had at least 2 years
where they had quality talent on the OL but
yet the coaching staff failed to recruit and retain
ANY depth or replacements? So you agree the coaching
staff failed the offense.
Yes, it has happened every four years now (01, 05, 09). Considering all those years came after NCG apperances, I'll call it rebuilding.

BTW, if Jones had produced only one clanker
game on the road I would agree with your assessment.
But he has played very poorly away from Owen field
in every game.
Jones hardly played poorly at Miami. He played very well at Kansas, so I'd remove "every" from that statement.

07 Bradford...
Road...
Colorado, poor
Iowa St, poor
Tech, knocked out
Neutral...
Texas, great
Mizzou, great
W Virginia, poor

It's a team game. Other than the Iowa State game, Bradford threw the ball fine. You should judge Landry by similar standards. He's not as good as Sam was, but other than the Nebraska game, he played fine.

FaninAma
11/24/2009, 01:44 PM
Yes, it has happened every four years now (01, 05, 09). Considering all those years came after NCG apperances, I'll call it rebuilding.

Jones hardly played poorly at Miami. He played very well at Kansas, so I'd remove "every" from that statement.

07 Bradford...
Road...
Colorado, poor
Iowa St, poor
Tech, knocked out
Neutral...
Texas, great
Mizzou, great
W Virginia, poor

It's a team game. Other than the Iowa State game, Bradford threw the ball fine. You should judge Landry by similar standards. He's not as good as Sam was, but other than the Nebraska game, he played fine.

I'd take a game on the road from Landry like Bradford's games at Colorado and against West Virginia in a heartbeat. Now I'll give you the Iowa State game. Sam has a bad, bad day that game.

I was willing to give Landry the benefit of the doubt until the Nebraska game. That was a total breakdown both from a mental grasp of the game as well as an execution standpoint.

The thing I don't like about Jones is the fact that he makes critical mistakes that kill the team.....letting the clock run down v.BYU, not being aware of where the blitz was coming from that caused him to fumble v. Miami, the 2 BAD interceptions against Texas, the 5 interceptions against Nebraska. I wasn't really disappointed in his TT performance because I didn't expect much from him, but it doesn't suprise me that the Sooners only scored 13 points in that game.

Sure there have been other reasons for OU meltdown this season but Landry's play on the road has to be put down in the negative column in a big way.

Landry's play on the road and the lack of preparation by the coaching staff in terms of OL depth and experience are the 2 factors that have killed this season, IMO.

rawlingsHOH
11/24/2009, 03:09 PM
He was inexcusably terrible against Nebraska, especially mentally. I can't argue that.

BYU and Texas... DAMN tough playing QB without the benefit of a practice week.

not being aware of where the blitz was coming from that caused him to fumble v. Miami
That was on the fullback who wiffed the assignment, not Jones.

murray1430
11/24/2009, 03:25 PM
Not a very good O-line, most receivers that can't catch, and little experience besides that I think he will be ok just give him some time as far as experience. Also, give him the same time in the pocket that Bradford had the last two years and no telling what he might be able to do. He has made some nice throws and we have seen him execute. He still holds a record that neither his qb coach, or the last two ou heisman winners have. I know it was set when they were not playing a stout team but the previous qb's played weak teams as well and didn't make the record.

Scott D
11/24/2009, 05:26 PM
the BYU clock thing was completely on the coaches...hell even Wilson said that was on the coaches.

The point I was making with Bradford on the road was twofold. One, Bradford had a lot better running game support with the 3 headed set he had behind him than Jones has with the 2 headed set he has behind him. DeMarco Murray shouldn't be a power back in this system, but yet he's used as such.

Secondly, he wasn't as experience handicapped around him as Jones has been this season.

Anyone who thought prior to taking his first snap that Landry Jones was going to be the second coming of Sam Bradford was sorely mistaken with their overexpectations. Did Jones even run the scout team offense last year? Wasn't that what Sam credited to his development during his redshirt year?

adoniijahsooner
11/24/2009, 06:38 PM
Landry Jones is not as good as Sam Bradford.

sooneron
11/24/2009, 10:27 PM
Everyone here needs to face it that we will probably see at LEAST two qbs starting games next fall, the way that the Oline looks going into '10.

aurorasooner
11/24/2009, 11:24 PM
Landry Jones is not as good as Sam Bradford. The trouble with this offense the way it is now with a below average OL and any decent running play design/sets is that you need a QB as good as Sam to run it each year to give it any kind of chance to be successful.
LJ is a pretty darn good QB but to me his release appears to be long and slow (sort of loops the ball way behind his head instead of releasing it from ear-level. When you add this in to him getting up to speed for the college game (between the ears), he seems to have some timing problems with his passes. Some are behind our receivers or high and outside, with a lot of passes that wobble. You couple that with our new receivers who at times couldn't catch a cold, pitiful OL play which doesn't hardly give Landry enough time to set his feet, and sub-par running play design to help a below average OL, and at least he's taken the hits and has come back for more.
Looks like to me, that with this offense which has absolutely no TE threat and no quality OL blocking either for the running game or for pass protection, it's not fair to judge Landy Jones vs last year's Sam Bradford.
Also it'll be interesting to see if Heupel tinkers with LJ's release in the spring or if Landry will even let him do it. Hopefully if he does it'll turn out better than when they tried to change Mildren's release. He was not only the best Frosh running QB (along with Hollieway) that I've ever seen at OU, but (imo) the best Frosh passing QB, until they screwed with his release.

tulsaoilerfan
11/24/2009, 11:47 PM
Although i'm not 100% sold on Landry, i think outside of the Nebraska game, he's played about as well as you could expect, giving all the problems this team has, on the road this season; we can only hope that the things he's not that good at will be better by next fall assuming he's the starter.

If not, we will struggle again next year on offense no matter what the supporting cast looks like.

soonerborn30
11/26/2009, 02:20 AM
Unless the question is "Who is the worst QB Bob Stoops has ever had?" then no. He's not. I think he's terrible. You don't get to give him credit for playing great against a defense with no pulse and then shield him from (deserved) criticism when he stinks up every field he visits outside the 405. He is playing the highest profile position at one of the highest profile football schools in America. There is going to be massive amounts of blame thrown his way when we crap the bed, and he won't even deserve some of it. But you can bet your season tickets that if he ever has another good game, he'll be reaping the benefits the position has to offer.

VA Sooner
11/26/2009, 08:52 AM
He's been thrown into a tough situation.

Watching the Spring Game the last two years, I thought he needed more snaps/playing time to get the maturity and experience needed to get this team to a Big 12 Championship. He's got that this year... we'll have to see if that translates to a better off-season and competition for the spot next year.

Open up all the positions every spring... make the kids compete. Landry is decent but he'll have two very good quarterbacks behind him competing for the position... Drew Allen and Blake Bell, each with their own style of quarterbacking.

Just like Keith Nichol, who was good, but second/third to Bradford and now second QB to Cousins at Michigan State.

Team sport... everyone has to participate. Nebraska was his off game... Texas Tech was defense's off game.

Make amends at Bedlam.

StoopTroup
11/26/2009, 08:55 AM
I'm not doing any laundry today...it's Thanksgiving.

Thanks Landry! Keep it going Man!

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2009, 11:50 AM
Jones hasn't responded well to pressure yet, but he has played well when protected. Terrible QBs are bad in both situations. Open competition in the spring and fall should reveal if he can mature.

tulsaoilerfan
11/26/2009, 05:41 PM
I would like to see us open the game with a couple of easy passes for Landry to complete; maybe a screen to the RB, a WR bubble screen, or even a shovel pass; a little confidence might do him wonders