PDA

View Full Version : Broyles Needs to Grow Up

tulsaoilerfan
11/21/2009, 04:47 PM
Strutting into the end zone when we are down 28 and playing like ****? I'm sorry, but maybe it's time to send a message and bench his *** for the next game; crap like that is uncalled for and makes it look like the inmates are running the asylum and makes it look like he's not a team player.

Uncle Ernie
11/21/2009, 04:50 PM
Maybe it was his response to the 37 personal fouls committed by TTech?

Seriously he had a hole in his marble bag on that play.

delhalew
11/21/2009, 04:54 PM
If Bob wants to bench him for the Poke game, I would not complain. This is not new for him.

boomerborn79
11/21/2009, 04:55 PM

The one time we get to cheer about something today and you guys are cryin about that to....Bit## about something else. Not our only bright spot of the day. He has swagger, wish the rest of the team new they were bad a## like him. Cry about something else.

KingWKB
11/21/2009, 04:57 PM
Maybe it's just me but I didn't feel like he did anything. Sometimes you have to high step to get away from a diving player. I thought that was a bogus flag and watching the replay I don't believe he was taunting.

bcgvh
11/21/2009, 04:57 PM
I liked it, it's the first time we've seen an OU player show some emotion since Mike Stoops left, LOL!!

tulsaoilerfan
11/21/2009, 04:58 PM
The one time we get to cheer about something today and you guys are cryin about that to....Bit## about something else. Not our only bright spot of the day. He has swagger, wish the rest of the team new they were bad a## like him. Cry about something else.

That so called swagger cost the team 15 yards

bcgvh
11/21/2009, 04:58 PM
Maybe it's just me but I didn't feel like he did anything. Sometimes you have to high step to get away from a diving player. I thought that was a bogus flag and watching the replay I don't believe he was taunting.

But actually, yeah, I think you're right. It wasn't that big of a deal at all.

jumperstop
11/21/2009, 04:59 PM

Either way this it is bs that you have to strut into the endzone when down by three td's. He is good, but unacceptable.

delhalew
11/21/2009, 05:01 PM

That may have been what he was thinking. If not, Bob needs to crawl up his @ss and set up camp. Maybe others will finally get the idea that discipline is demanded. Assuming it it.

bcgvh

Yeah, it pretty much cost us the game. Even though it didn't cost us anything at all in the end.

Petro-Sooner
It was a very aggie thing to do.

Soonerus
11/21/2009, 05:02 PM
It was a bogus call but Broyles should not put himself in a position to allow the trigger-fingered ref to make the call...

msylyn69
You want to bench the only receiver that shows any consistent instinct in going after a ball and actually fighting for extra yardage? Maybe he did a bonehead thing, I will give you that, but maybe just maybe he was excited to have the opportunity to score. YES SCORE A TOUCHDOWN! I think the a$$ chewing and other punishment he received and will receive should be enough without all of you passing down your own form of punishment.

Who is going to bench the rest of the offense for being so offensive?????

Okie35
It wasn't because of the high step it was because he was jawing during it. He was turned around and taunting him.

boomerborn79
11/21/2009, 05:03 PM

I liked it, it's the first time we've seen an OU player show some emotion since Mike Stoops left, LOL!!

^^^^^^This x 2^^^^^

boomerborn79
11/21/2009, 05:05 PM

Yes it did. witch had no effect on the game.

Okie35
11/21/2009, 05:05 PM
^^^^^^This x 2^^^^^

Yup I didn't care about the high step considering he's the only one offensively that shows up on the road when he gets the ball. The Nebraska game he barely touched the ball.

boomerborn79
11/21/2009, 05:10 PM
Yup I didn't care about the high step considering he's the only one offensively that shows up on the road when he gets the ball. The Nebraska game he barely touched the ball.

This is a sign of a bad team. Bad teams have individuals that celebrate. Good teams celebrate together. When your winning show your class. When your losing show your as@.

delhalew
11/21/2009, 05:17 PM
Even on a good day this team lacks discipline. THAT is the point. From false starts to having to keep Granger away from Burlington Coat Factory. I've seen guys roll their eyes, then turn and walk away while Coach is chewing their ***. I'd rather have a Mangino problem than see that again.

Ground_Attack
11/21/2009, 05:23 PM
I thought the call was right. 1) Act like you've been there before, 2) remember the score.

MikeInNorman
11/21/2009, 05:44 PM
Yeah that Broyles kid is terrible. No class whatsoever. Just ME ME ME. It was terrible of him to play with a BROKEN SHOULDER BLADE against Texas. What a selfish guy! ME ME ME. I also think he made himself the only receiver that can get open or catch the ball on the entire team ON PURPOSE. He probably put WD40 on Tennell's gloves! Just so HE could be the only target! ME ME ME! In retrospect, I wish he hadn't single-handedly kept the critical "answer drive" alive on 3rd and 25 against K-State. Too much glory! ME ME ME.

He should probably just transfer since he clearly doesn't live up to the high standards of our message board posters. Good riddance!!!

:rolleyes:

delhalew
11/21/2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah that Broyles kid is terrible. No class whatsoever. Just ME ME ME. It was terrible of him to play with a BROKEN SHOULDER BLADE against Texas. What a selfish guy! ME ME ME. I also think he made himself the only receiver that can get open or catch the ball on the entire team ON PURPOSE. He probably put WD40 on Tennell's gloves! Just so HE could be the only target! ME ME ME! In retrospect, I wish he hadn't single-handedly kept the critical "answer drive" alive on 3rd and 25 against K-State. Too much glory! ME ME ME.

He should probably just transfer since he clearly doesn't live up to the high standards of our message board posters. Good riddance!!!

miss the point a little bit would ya'?

Peeb
11/21/2009, 05:51 PM
xxxx

gaylordfan1
11/21/2009, 05:52 PM
Swagger.... I like it. It looked worse live... not so bad on replay. He is the heart and soul of this offense. Could you imagine what this year would look like if he didn't return from his injury. I doubt we see anymore celebrating from him after any big plays for the rest of the year. 2 back to back games in a row with a PF. He has his head on straight enough to listen to Stoops and to take it down a notch. Hell, I'd be happy to if I was the only one that could get into the endzone.

Peeb
11/21/2009, 05:53 PM
xxxx

Leroy Lizard
11/21/2009, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure if this is a defense, but players are so used to acting this way when scoring that I think it becomes a habit. We now live in an era where outright arrogance and bragging are considered acceptable. The problem is deeper than just Broyles.

How many times have you heard "It ain't bragging if he can back it up." The comment is insane on the surface of it, but fans just now accept it as truth. So players are now conditioned to show off at all times without thinking. Remember Jolly celebrating his tackle when we played ATM a few years back?

And who's to blame? We are.

MikeInNorman
11/21/2009, 05:56 PM
miss the point a little bit would ya'?

If the point is that message board posters are as moronic as sometimes alleged, I wouldn't say I missed the point at all.

josh09
11/21/2009, 06:08 PM
Are some of yall seriously complaining about this? Come on. He had a frustrating day, and was probably relieved something good happened. And as for "thats the sign of a bad team, individual celebrating", thats ridiculous. Yall are getting mad for no reason at all, give him a break.

Aries
11/21/2009, 06:41 PM
Stoops was asked about it in the post game show, and was not happy about it. Best I remember, he called it "the silliest thing I've seen in a while", considering the score.

ouhomer123
11/21/2009, 06:43 PM
It looked like something you would see from a Miami team! Disgusting

msylyn69
11/21/2009, 06:50 PM
You guys need to grow up. This has gotten a little out of hand, the kid got excited...because they had not been there all day. If he was dropping passes and missing his routes all of the time, I would say he is fair game, but this guy has been consistent. Whether you see it or not, these players are frustrated and when something good happens they get a little emotional.

It was a tough day on both sides of the ball. This team has a lot of issues and correcting those issues will be at a much higher grade of pay than any of us. Right now I am pissed at Stoops and his buddies that we call assistant coaches. Why is it that when one of his cronies lose their job at another program, we inherit them. They were let go for a reason, why would we want them? I want him to go out and find some top notch assistants. We are Oklahoma, we should be able to recruit top assistants as easily as players.

Regardless of what next week brings, I will still be a Sooner fan (as if there is another choice).

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2009, 06:50 PM
this whole offensive unit has been undisciplined all year.......that was just another sign of it

MikeInNorman
11/21/2009, 06:53 PM
Stoops was asked about it in the post game show, and was not happy about it. Best I remember, he called it "the silliest thing I've seen in a while", considering the score.

Well, that's comforting. I'm glad he's focused on the important stuff.

StoopTroup
11/21/2009, 07:06 PM
Folks....

It's called Poor Sportsmanship.

The 15 yards may not have cost us the game but Broyles is considered a Veteran now on this Team. He didn't act like one. Bench him? I wouldn't. It's up to Stoops though.

We're Oklahoma not Tech. He reacted like a Tech Player IMO.

I didn't like it.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2009, 07:09 PM
Folks....

The 15 yards may not have cost us the game but Broyles is considered a Veteran now on this Team. He didn't act like one. Bench him? I wouldn't. It's up to Stoops though.

I didn't like it.

great post

Sooner70
11/21/2009, 07:15 PM
Dang, don't bench him. He's the only receiver we have that is reliable in catching the ball. Maybe have him sit in the corner of the end zone with a dunce cap on for a quarter or something.

tulsaoilerfan
11/21/2009, 07:15 PM
This team's play reminds me of Dallas; discipline issues, porous offensive line at times, and you never know how they are going to play on the road

tulsaoilerfan
11/21/2009, 07:16 PM
Dang, don't bench him. He's the only receiver we have that is reliable in catching the ball. Maybe have him sit in the corner of the end zone with a dunce cap on for a quarter or something.

Maybe a few extra gassers at practice this week along with half the guys on defense that didn't show up today

SoonerLB
11/21/2009, 08:16 PM
Folks....

I didn't like it.

Bingo on the poor sportsmanship! And personally I wouldn't call that kind of crap 'swagger', it is more appropriate to call it 'act'in a fool'! :mad:

jumperstop
11/21/2009, 08:31 PM

If you don't remember correctly, it was Broyles who got us in the first and 45 in the first place....because of the same type of celebration, even though I didn't agree with it. I do agree with this one.

delhalew
11/21/2009, 08:33 PM
this whole offensive unit has been undisciplined all year.......that was just another sign of it

Thank you!

I'm glad somebody gets it.

delhalew
11/21/2009, 08:52 PM
From KW
"Will the coaching staff challenge the team’s pride?
We will go back and go from there, I don’t know if we will challenge their pride. We got a taunting penalty when we are getting beat bad, so I don’t know if our guys are listening anyway."

Excuse me! That is a problem.

Okie35
11/21/2009, 09:27 PM
Ryan Broyles

On his celebration penalty
I know everyone is making a big deal about me celebrating, but I’m out there playing. I feel passionate about the game. It hurts even talking about it right now. It’s a long game and things didn’t work out our way.

Biggest point he seriously was the only person playing w/ any type of passion and he does that every game.

sooner59
11/21/2009, 09:36 PM

More like the second time. Broyles was flagged for the same thing in the K-State game. Bob chewed him out then, and had to turn around and chew him out again in this game. If I were Bob he wouldn't stop running until Thanksgiving dinner was ready. I guess he thinks he doesn't have to listen to his coach. Great talent, but not much respect is what it sounds like to me.

budbarrybob
11/21/2009, 09:52 PM

and it makes what kind of difference in this game? I say whatever. It just makes him look no better than the TA&M player during the 77-0 game when he bodyslammed a OU running back that was basically going 1/4 speed and hoping up like he made a game saving tackle...

redhawk49
11/21/2009, 09:53 PM
Should the o-line run until Thanksgiving too? They obviously don't listen either.

GottaHavePride
11/21/2009, 10:51 PM
Wait wait wait... Some of you people actually think he was high-stepping in celebration and turned around jawing to the other team? Y'all need some glasses. This was a bull**** call.

Broyles had just got away from TWO tacklers and only had the ball in one hand. He turned around to see where the pursuit was, saw a guy closing in, gave himself a little kick to change direction, and stretched the ball further away from the pursuit man.

And the ******* ref gave him a bull**** unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for trying to get us a damn touchdown.

Lay off Broyles - he was trying to get us back in the game.

Soonerus
11/21/2009, 10:57 PM
Wait wait wait... Some of you people actually think he was high-stepping in celebration and turned around jawing to the other team? Y'all need some glasses. This was a bull**** call.

Broyles had just got away from TWO tacklers and only had the ball in one hand. He turned around to see where the pursuit was, saw a guy closing in, gave himself a little kick to change direction, and stretched the ball further away from the pursuit man.

And the ******* ref gave him a bull**** unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for trying to get us a damn touchdown.

Lay off Broyles - he was trying to get us back in the game.

GHP, believe it or not I totally agree with you...

htownsooner7
11/21/2009, 11:01 PM
what an idiotic thread. This is one of the true football players that we have. And I don't mean talent. He goes across the middle. He takes reverses. He takes swing passes. He takes big hits. He fields punts. Show some respect. Assclown.

GottaHavePride
11/21/2009, 11:01 PM
Rus, believe it or not, I think today you're one of the only people talking any damn sense on here. :D

Soonerus
11/21/2009, 11:04 PM
Rus, believe it or not, I think today you're one of the only people talking any damn sense on here. :D

This must truly be a weird year...;)

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/21/2009, 11:13 PM
I was at a Thanksgiving party after halftime, and while the game was on, I didn't watch it as closely as I normally do. So I didn't see this play with any clarity whatsoever.

BUT...Broyles has been flagged for high-stepping into the end zone twice this year, IIRC. I seem to remember AD high-stepping ALL THE TIME (still does with the Vikes) and not getting flagged for it. Did they change a rule or start cracking down on this more in recent years?

boomerborn79
11/22/2009, 12:20 AM
SPEC IS OVERATED.

Sasakwa
11/22/2009, 12:38 AM
It just makes him look no better than the TA&M player during the 77-0 game

Exactly what I was thinking.

MamaMia
11/22/2009, 01:04 AM
So what. What the hell difference did it make? I don't think for a minute that he would have risked doing that in a close game but in this case, he had nothing to lose, so he decided to have some fun. Big deal.

boomerborn79
11/22/2009, 01:10 AM
Xactly, Big deal he's just warming up for the pro's.

En_Fuego
11/22/2009, 01:14 AM
It was just horribly embarrassing. OU football is better than that. Again, just act like you've been there before.

He is about the only one on the team that "Has been there before"

He looks like the living playing with the DEAD

MamaMia
11/22/2009, 01:18 AM

Lay off Broyles - he was trying to get us back in the game.Great post. :)

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2009, 01:36 AM
If Broyles feels bad about doing it, then let's drop it.

MamaMia
11/22/2009, 01:57 AM
If Broyles feels bad about doing it, then let's drop it.Who made him feel bad? Come on; tell me. I'll drop him like a sand bag! :mad:

:P

nighttrain12
11/22/2009, 02:00 AM
I've watched the replays about 5 times now and I think the flag should not have been thrown. So what if he high stepped (a little bit at most). I think it was oversensitivity on the refs part.

soonerbub
11/22/2009, 02:18 AM
If we had these refs during the 70s and 80s every kickoff would've been from our 5 yard line. The big xii is turning into the no fun league. High step all you want ryan--the other 84 guys couldn't have cared less today.

sooner59
11/22/2009, 04:07 AM
I've watched the replays about 5 times now and I think the flag should not have been thrown. So what if he high stepped (a little bit at most). I think it was oversensitivity on the refs part.

Yeah, but they were probably on guard about him after the K-state game. If you are in the open field, any slowing down and looking back followed by spreading of arms and legs is going to get flagged. Sometimes its ticky tacky, but he still should have known after last time. If you break away, just run into the endzone and be happy. Don't even slow down until you score. That will solve the problem every time.

SCxxSOONER
11/22/2009, 01:20 PM
broyles is one of the best receivers in the country, i dont havea problem with it a little emotion was nice to see, shoudlnt have been a flag at all, if you bench him our offense would be REALLY stagnant next game, he is basically our offense

btk108
11/22/2009, 01:25 PM
I didn't see it as a taunt, I was just screaming at him to quit jacking around and run before he got taken down from behind.

MamaMia
11/22/2009, 01:48 PM
I think its being over exagerated. Can someone please go on STOOPTROUP and neg him for negging me because I was defending an OU player. STOOPtrp thats poor sportmanship to go around negging people because they don't agree with you. wawawa poor sportmanship. I hope Broyle's high steps all over your gay as$ cowboys next week. I am not the only one on here saying it wasn't bad. I think your acting like a sissy complaining about a player that gives his all. Were you on the board defending OU when we were scoring 60 a game last year, or were you sitting there say it's just poor sportmanship. Come on neg me for something good like this post. Sissy. I see much less on every saturday that doesn't get called. Seriously? How many times has he neg bombed you the last two days or so?

Stoop...Stop neg bombing my little buddy! :P

King Barry's Back
11/22/2009, 02:13 PM
Some of you are all over Broyles for bad sportsmanship, and some of you are defending him and saying it shouldn't even have been a flag. What do the rules say? Was it or was it not a violation?

FWIW, I don't condemn Broyles for showing off a little, but I do prefer the gentlemanly hard workers like Q. And Josh. Etc.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2009, 02:25 PM
Some of you are all over Broyles for bad sportsmanship, and some of you are defending him and saying it shouldn't even have been a flag. What do the rules say? Was it or was it not a violation?

FWIW, I don't condemn Broyles for showing off a little, but I do prefer the gentlemanly hard workers like Q. And Josh. Etc.

It's a subjective call, but a prance or unnecessary dive across the goal line will draw a flag every time (at least in the big12). Also, refs will watch certain players more closely and since Broyles did the same thing in the aTm game, I suspect he was one of those players(2 refs flagged it immediately). Sometimes, taking a flag will fire your team up and even coaches will take an unsportsmanlike flag to prove they will defend their team. This wasn't the proper time for that, but it was such a minor part of this game from a player who has shown passion and excellence the entire year, it's no big deal to me. I'd rather he hadn't done it, but if it had been say Tennell, I would have been furious.

rawlingsHOH
11/22/2009, 03:38 PM

Wow, first?

olevetonahill
11/22/2009, 04:10 PM
I think its being over exagerated. Can someone please go on STOOPTROUP and neg him for negging me because I was defending an OU player. STOOPtrp thats poor sportmanship to go around negging people because they don't agree with you. wawawa poor sportmanship. I hope Broyle's high steps all over your gay as$ cowboys next week. I am not the only one on here saying it wasn't bad. I think your acting like a sissy complaining about a player that gives his all. Were you on the board defending OU when we were scoring 60 a game last year, or were you sitting there say it's just poor sportmanship. Come on neg me for something good like this post. Sissy. I see much less on every saturday that doesn't get called.

The 1st rule of Spek :rolleyes:

SoonerMavrick25
11/23/2009, 08:46 AM
IF anyone thinks Broyles showed "swagger" on that play.. Please turn in your OU fan cards... you are no longer needed here.... I heard the "U" Likes this kind of play... And lucky for you they are looking for fans.

gaylordfan1
11/23/2009, 08:53 AM
That was soooo last week!

SoonerMavrick25
11/23/2009, 11:02 AM
http://www.jimtraber.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61819

for those that don't think this looks bad, and is glad he did it....
Also for those that didn't think it was taunting.. he started at the 10 yard line. I like Broyles. But this... OU doesn't DO this..

Lawtonsoonerfan01
11/23/2009, 11:07 AM
Personally, I prefer cocky players like OU has over the losers from saxet

boomerborn79
11/23/2009, 11:33 AM

Also for those that didn't think it was taunting.. he started at the 10 year line. I like Broyles. But this... OU doesn't DO this..

Look's like a heisman pose. :D Actually look's bad there. Live video doesn't look as bad.

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 11:33 AM
Ryan Broyles is probably the least of my concerns.

OPSEC
11/23/2009, 01:21 PM
I am going to stop reading this thread because its a no win. BUT IMO, he tried to high step away with too many high steps. Whether or not he said anything is moot as i dont know WHAT he could have said that the ref deemed flaggable let alone audible. Maybe, "scorched you, here is six". Yah that is bad. How about, "nice tackling you pukes". Yah that is bad too.

Understand the whole discipline aspect of this argument but I have seen too many games this year were I frigging scream at the tv because they, the NCAA or the refs, have taken the fun out of the game and the ruthlessness of the game. Was his extra stepping showboating? Only if he gets flagged. Was I mad he was high stepping it in no; but i didnt particularly like the half arse heisman pose. Was it classless, disrespectful, over the top? Nope.

But..
This is a sign of a bad team. Bad teams have individuals that celebrate. Good teams celebrate together. When your winning show your class. When your losing show your as@. Apparently this is the way to go. Why dont we ask Georgia how that worked out for them in the media circles? Wonder if the team would do this then when broyles scored. Just saying.

GottaHavePride
11/23/2009, 01:42 PM

Also for those that didn't think it was taunting.. he started at the 10 year line. I like Broyles. But this... OU doesn't DO this..

Still don't think it was taunting. Sure, that still frame looks like that - he was in that position for less than 1/4 of a second, though. Watch it again at full speed. I still don't get where people are talking about "high-stepping" either - he kicked his leg ONCE. Just enough to change directions away from the pursuit.

SoonerMavrick25
11/23/2009, 02:06 PM
Still don't think it was taunting. Sure, that still frame looks like that - he was in that position for less than 1/4 of a second, though. Watch it again at full speed. I still don't get where people are talking about "high-stepping" either - he kicked his leg ONCE. Just enough to change directions away from the pursuit.

Please explain to me what was the point in doing it? There was NO REASON to even attempt to high step pose or anything... If you think he was doing it to change directions from the pursuit, I'd like to know what you were drinking. There is no reason for this...

Crucifax Autumn
11/23/2009, 02:15 PM
Here's what I think is funny about this...

Apparently if you put your body in a position that is the same as the trophy for BEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER...the trophy that is the most recognized icon in college football, you are unsportsmanlike. lol

Leroy Lizard
11/23/2009, 02:22 PM
People have a strange understanding of what the Heisman pose looks like.

http://jcrue.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/heisman-trophy.jpg

Players do the supposed "Heisman pose" that looks nothing like the trophy. How did that get started?

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2009, 02:25 PM
I contend that what drew the flag was the position of his arms. Extending the ball is considered taunting. The U players used to actually extend it back into the defenders face. High-stepping near the goal line is good football technique to avoid the tackler diving for an ankle. Broyles looked over both shoulders to make sure there was only 1 guy and the guy was close enough to dive. But in a real football move, you hold the ball tight in front of you to avoid the defender swiping at the ball and Broyles held the ball out low instead. That always draws a flag. Watch Johnson's TD against TT last year for the legal method. He does the "band march" to avoid the ankle tackle, but holds the ball away and thus no flag. Broyles did what he did on purpose and it was the 2nd time for the exact some move (vs aTm also), but too much has been made of it (pro and con). It's one guy, he got his *** chewed - move on.

Jello Biafra
11/23/2009, 02:27 PM
christ
on-a-
stick....

do you guys EVER get tired of complaining about things?

*sigh* this season is not ending soon enough.

SoonerMavrick25
11/23/2009, 02:30 PM
Here's what I think is funny about this...

Apparently if you put your body in a position that is the same as the trophy for BEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER...the trophy that is the most recognized icon in college football, you are unsportsmanlike. lol

When you are down 30-6.. You score, slap hands with your team, go to the sideline.

Would everyone still have the same feelings out of this if this would have screwed us out of a possible onside kick and coming back? Because if it wasn't for his brilliant INT (also play call) in the end zone. His high stepping TD would have made it a two score game. You can argue if it should have been called all day.... The point is just get your butt to the endzone like you have done it before and this isn't even an issue.

rawlingsHOH
11/23/2009, 02:46 PM
People have a strange understanding of what the Heisman pose looks like.

http://jcrue.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/heisman-trophy.jpg

Players do the supposed "Heisman pose" that looks nothing like the trophy. How did that get started?

Desmond Howard?

MikeInNorman
11/29/2009, 10:53 AM
It's a good thing that Broyles wasn't forced to sit against Aggy due to the unforgivable sin of being happy about scoring. Like some of you wanted. On the other hand, a lesson would have been taught :rolleyes: and that's the important thing, right? :rolleyes:

Maybe the better lesson was at half against Aggy when KW told the rest of the offense they needed to "play like 85".

delhalew
11/29/2009, 11:02 AM
I don't think anyone wondering if he would get set for the game, would have claimed we could win without him.

Luckily, he didn't get set and chose to grow up.

OUmillenium
11/29/2009, 11:13 AM
Desmond Howard?

Thats what I was thinking.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2009, 01:52 PM
Desmond is the first player I recall striking the Heisman pose, but why did everyone recognize it as the Heisman pose when it clearly wasn't?

PhilTLL
11/29/2009, 03:21 PM
We now live in an era where outright arrogance and bragging are considered acceptable.

How many times have you heard "It ain't bragging if he can back it up." The comment is insane on the surface of it, but fans just now accept it as truth.

Huh? Dizzy Dean probably cribbed this quote off someone much older and that was way back in the 1930's. From his wiki entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dizzy_Dean):

Much like later sports legends Joe Namath and Reggie Jackson, Dizzy liked to brag about his prowess and make public predictions. In 1934, Dizzy predicted, "Me an' Paul are gonna win 45 games." On September 21, Diz pitched no-hit ball for eight innings against the Brooklyn Dodgers, finishing with a three-hit shutout in the first game of a doubleheader, his 27th win of the season. Paul then threw a no-hitter in the nightcap, to win his 18th, matching the 45 that Diz had predicted. "Gee, Paul," Diz was heard to say in the locker room afterward, "if I'd a-known you was gonna throw a no-hitter, I'd a-thrown one too!" He also bet he could strike out Vince DiMaggio four times in one game. He struck him out his first three at bats, but when he hit a popup behind the plate at his fourth, Dean screamed at his catcher, "Drop it!, Drop it!" The catcher did and Dean fanned DiMaggio, winning the bet. Few in the press now doubted Diz's boast, as he was also fond of saying, "It ain't braggin' if ya can back it up."

The bolded one in particular is total ******* behavior. Well, if it's not baseball apocrypha, that is. The art of the braggart is as old as mankind.