PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who want to fire everyboday and say this team has quit...

Collier11
11/21/2009, 04:29 PM
We have battled non stop this season, you say im a sunshine pumper as well as others or that ive given Stoops some blank check. That is straight BS, ill tell you a couple of things though

1: We were in the National title game last year

2: If we go 8-4 next year and our offense struggles again I will agree that something has to change, next year we return a bunch of offensive talent and should be pretty good on Off

3: Venables has been good this year, this was our D's first bad game out of 11, before you all go ripping him realize that part of our D's struggles were on the offense today, part on BV, I will give him one bad game out of 11

4: If you think this team has quit I think you are way off base, if you think players were faking injuries cus they didnt want to be out there I think you are either trying to stir the pot or you are a complete idiot plain and simple. This team has pride and I expect a great performance next week

5: Stoops has been at OU for 11 years, consistently plays good schedules, he has won 12 games 4 times, 13 once, and double digits 8 times. Does he have a blank check, no! Does he deserve the benefit of doubt that the injuries have just been too much to overcome, yes. Do I expect 10 or more wins next year and a beatdown of texas, absolutely and realistically.

6: Other than today, we havent been that far off despite all of the injuries, that should tell you something

7: Has Kevin Wilson done a great job this year, not at all. Could he have done better, absolutely. Has the injuries and inexperience dictated the conservative gameplan, absolutely. Has player execution been a huge part of the problem, if you dont think so you are blind.

8: Do I expect more creativity on offense next year, yes I do. IF we have the same conservative playcalling next year will I be upset with Wilson and wondering why he hasnt changed things, of course.

That about covers all of the points I wanted to cover, feel free to offer your opinons differing or not, just dont be an azz about it

Soonerus
11/21/2009, 04:33 PM
I hated today...

delhalew
11/21/2009, 04:33 PM
The only thing you're wrong about is the fact that some of our players did quit today. It was in the body language. In was in the lethargy and lack of execution. I don't think I've ever seen it before, like I saw it today. Not from a Sooner squad.

mightysooner
11/21/2009, 04:34 PM
Blah, blah, blah.....

They quit today. They didn't battle, they quit. I saw it. Everybody saw it.

tulsaoilerfan
11/21/2009, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure the offense will be any better next year, unfortunately

Pricetag
11/21/2009, 04:35 PM
I don't think this team has quit. I think this team quit today.

I don't think any coaches should be fired. I don't want to see anything about raises in the papers either, though.

tulsaoilerfan
11/21/2009, 04:36 PM
I will agree that the team didn't quit today but it's only because they never showed up in the first place

Funky G
11/21/2009, 04:37 PM
Record Outside Norman: 19 - 16. With that said any other team in the country would struggle with the same amount of injuries. Lost 3 All-Americans, 3OL, etc.

You still have to play with the cards you're dealt and there hasn't been much adjustment or creativity to counter the adversity this year.

Team didn't play inspired today, or so it seemed. Again, see "road" record over the last five years. The facts indicate a pattern.

Collier11
11/21/2009, 04:38 PM
There is a big diff between saying a team has quit on their coach like fanima said and saying that some of the players stopped giving maximum effort once we were getting trounced like some of you are saying

Collier11
11/21/2009, 04:39 PM
pattern on the road I agree, Stoops needs to do something about that now

mightysooner
11/21/2009, 04:42 PM
What I saw fanima say was that players stop playing through pain when they're getting trounced and start falling all over the field with injuries. I don't see the craziness in that statement. I've seen that happen every saturday and sunday I've watched football and that is what happens.

delhalew
11/21/2009, 04:44 PM
I must have missed that. I never saw anyone say Stoops has lost his team.

I will say, if Broyles thinks he can get away with being stupid because he is the only one who catch the ball, then Stoops is failing to handle this team the way he needs to.

badger
Deano needs to get the stickied "I'm banning you all" thread up again he had post-Nebraksa :D

In any event, back to vidya games. C ya

okiewaker
Blah, blah, blah.....

They quit today. They didn't battle, they quit. I saw it. Everybody saw it.

I agree. They quit playing hard. I watched, and they simply quit.

Collier11
11/21/2009, 04:45 PM
what he said "Oh BTW, IMO when you start seeing players leave with injuries like today it is a sign that they have given up and don't want to play through minor injuries any longer" implies that the players were quitting because they didnt give a sh*t anymore

MamaMia
11/21/2009, 04:46 PM
I'm disappointed that we lost another game but I didn't think we would win. I'm getting use to losing. I haven't felt this way since before Stoops was the coach.

canes4ever
A picture is worth a thousand words. Your post was close to a thousand words but the mannerisms and faces of the OU players today said something much different. The OU today was not the same team that I saw play us a short 7 weeks ago. The OU coaches have their work cut out for them.

Uncle Ernie
TTech was lookin' for payback and they found it. We sh!t canned their only national championship bid in school history last year. We didn't have much to play for and we let it get in the way of being OU. We forgot about the as* hat we handed them last year but TTech did not. They only kill their masters.

mightysooner
11/21/2009, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure the offense will be any better next year, unfortunately

I think the O will be better next year. There's nowhere to go but up from where they currently are that's for sure.

Leroy Lizard
11/21/2009, 04:48 PM
pattern on the road I agree, Stoops needs to do something about that now

I'm not sure what he can do that he wouldn't have already done.

They just need to win a few games on the road to get their confidence back.

King Barry's Back
11/21/2009, 04:49 PM
The "road problem" is just inexplicable to me -- that it could be such a glaring, sore thumb and remain unaddressed.

We've played with lethargy and resignation on the road quite a bit, and for a long time. The first game I remember seeing it was the Indy Bowl in 1999.

I've seen it many times since.

I have no idea what's causing it. I THINK that it stems from a Stoops philosophy that mistakes on the road put the fans in the game and a make a game spin out of control, therefore we tries to play conservatively and minimize mistakes until we get a lead. Then he'll open it up a little.

But that's speculation.

The point is that it's show up often enough, through enough years, and enough different players and assistants, that I think it is somewhere embedded in Stoops fundamental approach.

I hope he can figure it out.

tulsaoilerfan
11/21/2009, 04:50 PM
I saw several players on the defensive side of the ball that flat out stunk today, yet the coaches never pulled them from the field; there seems to be no accountability for poor attitudes, poor effort and poor play; hell we were done by the end of the 3rd quarter would it have hurt to play some of the young guys on defense?

richsooner
11/21/2009, 04:51 PM
I'm disappointed that we lost another game but I didn't think we would win. I'm getting use to losing. I haven't felt this way since before Stoops was the coach.

We might as well get used to it. The cupboard is bare and recruiting will drop off dramatically from the way this program will now be viewed. It will get worse b4 better. Fans,,stay the course...............the only way we get greatness is to keep demanding it...............

jdsooner
11/21/2009, 04:51 PM
Why would anyone fault our effort or have problems with the coaching staff?:rolleyes:

HHH
11/21/2009, 05:00 PM
I don't mind the loss. We didnt show up... I was watching on Fox Sports. Number 70 should walk back to Norman. He was in the background when Fox was speaking with Leach. #70 was laughing and having a good time with a Tech player. He should have been pi**ed not laughing.. That is what is wrong with this team they don't care..

Sooner98
11/21/2009, 05:00 PM

I feel much the same way now. Even before the game, I had no confidence that the team would win today, which definitely softened the blow for me. But I just can no longer accept things like going from scoring 42 at home, then 3 on the road, then 65 at home, then 13 on the road, or things like winning one out of our last ten games against ranked non-conference opponents, or losing the last six games in a row decided by 3 points or less. I'm not calling for Stoops' job yet, but I wouldn't be disappointed at all if he left.

FaninAma
11/21/2009, 05:04 PM
There is a big diff between saying a team has quit on their coach like fanima said and saying that some of the players stopped giving maximum effort once we were getting trounced like some of you are saying

Collier, I've already given it up to you for being the best OU fan evah! You don't have to prove your point anymore.

However, I will disagree with anybody who says this team didn't quit out there on the field today and when a team quits the little dings and nicks start to turn into "Coach take me out" type injuries.

We'll see how many of the injuries were serious and how many players that went off the field today will miss next week.

You could be right....I may be eating a lot of crow as several more players are listed as being out for the rest of the year.

TXBOOMER
11/21/2009, 05:06 PM
I would have no problem with promoting Josh and replacing the OL coach but that isn't going to happen. Not certain it would help considering the lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball. I have enjoyed the past seasons with Stoops. I'm sure we will rebuild and become competitive again.

toast
11/21/2009, 05:15 PM
One of the most disappointing seasons in Oklahoma Sooner history. People are naturally going to be upset and disgruntled. Whether it was injuries, replacing several starters, coaching, poor recruiting, whatever that brought the team to this point I don't know. But the previous four losses were close and the team gave strong effort - today, not so much. Maybe it was having nothing left to play for (except pride) regarding season goals.

Stoops' history is to field strong, competitive teams. Let's see what the response is next year. This year is a tough pill to swallow, but after what has happened the previous 10 years I am personally willing to wait and see.

jdsooner
11/21/2009, 05:20 PM
We gave up 32 first downs and 549 total yards. We gained 48 yards on 26 carries. Should we feel proud of that effort? This team was flat and not ready to play.

okiewaker
11/21/2009, 05:31 PM
It was all out there on the field to see. The fact is the D quit playing hard, whether for the coaches or because the O couldn't score. whatever the reason the fact is they quit playing hard. I'm not ripping on any coaches or players, but that was a pathetic performance by the D, which is the backbone of the team right now. The team knows the O is not very good and they would need to step up, yet they let the team down. IMO

soonervegas
11/21/2009, 05:37 PM
I certainly have some concerns, but I do think we give the coaching staff next year to prove the naysayers wrong. If I was a betting man I would put money on us being a very po'd fan base next year. I think we have a player problem.....and if you couple that with B- coaching

I think this coaching staff has been able to hide behind a few Texas missteps the last few years.

Big D Sooner
11/21/2009, 05:50 PM
The cupboard is far from bare. This is one of those years that a perfect storm of injuries and graduations came together to make a team look average.

Collier11
11/21/2009, 06:13 PM
Collier, I've already given it up to you for being the best OU fan evah! You don't have to prove your point anymore.

However, I will disagree with anybody who says this team didn't quit out there on the field today and when a team quits the little dings and nicks start to turn into "Coach take me out" type injuries.

We'll see how many of the injuries were serious and how many players that went off the field today will miss next week.

You could be right....I may be eating a lot of crow as several more players are listed as being out for the rest of the year.

I can recognize smart azzedness, nice try though. And for the record, Habern is out for the year, thats one so far

BoulderSooner79
11/21/2009, 06:15 PM
We gave up 32 first downs and 549 total yards. We gained 48 yards on 26 carries. Should we feel proud of that effort? This team was flat and not ready to play.

I disagree - it's simpler than that. This team is just not very good on offense and it doesn't matter if they are ready to play or not. We haven't scored or even moved the ball well against any team with a decent defense this year. I had a feeling today might be bad if our NU level offense showed up (which it did). TT is much better than NU on offense and will move the ball. If you don't at least do something, it will snowball and it did. Yeah, the D got discouraged today and I don't blame them. They could have played their best game of the year and we still would have lost.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2009, 06:18 PM
I disagree - it's simpler than that. This team is just not very good on offense and it doesn't matter if they are ready to play or not. We haven't scored or even moved the ball well against any team with a decent defense this year. I had a feeling today might be bad if our NU level offense showed up (which it did). TT is much better than NU on offense and will move the ball. If you don't at least do something, it will snowball and it did. Yeah, the D got discouraged today and I don't blame them. They could have played their best game of the year and we still would have lost.

this

okiewaker
11/21/2009, 06:26 PM
s

I disagree. The D should play hard even if the O is struggling, look at the 01 team. You have to play even better if the O is struggling, not get discouraged and give up.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2009, 06:32 PM
the 01 offense didnt have 3 and outs that lasted less than a minute over and over

FaninAma
11/21/2009, 06:34 PM
I can recognize smart azzedness, nice try though. And for the record, Habern is out for the year, thats one so far

But I'm really not trying to be a smart @$$. I am serious. Any fan that can take the type of performances this coaching staff has turned in this year without calling for some changes next year is a good loyal fan. I am not the type fan that can keep from bitching about this coaching staff. I think they deserve a lot of criticism for the lack of preparation leading into the season and the way the handled their player personnel this year as well as their game-time coaching.

The coaching staff needs some type of shakeup even if it is just to tell them that another 4 or 5 loss season will not be acceptable.

ouhomer123
11/21/2009, 06:34 PM
Landry has got to learn to start throwing the ball away instead of taking those stupid sacks all the time.

The front O line could not keep a group of jenks players off of Landry.

Our D just gave up today , you could just see it all over them. It was horrible.

BoulderSooner79
11/21/2009, 06:35 PM
I diagree. The D should play hard even if the O is struggling, look at the 01 team. You have to play even better if the O is struggling, not get discouraged and give up.

I just said I didn't blame them. They didn't get discouraged until the game was over in the 2nd half. All previous losses they played very well and the O never did their part. Now they were going against a team that was playing well and we're going to be 6-5 and the O can't even get a first down. It's not like the horn game where the conference is still on the line. Yeah, it would have been great if the D play 100% right until the last meaningless play, but I just can't blame them. I'm not going to bag on a unit that has a very good season and has shown a ton of heart.

okiewaker
11/21/2009, 06:43 PM
I don't care how many 3 and outs there are, the D should not have given up, regardless of how O is playing. IMO, they gave up. Again, not ripping any player or coach, but the fact is, for whatever reason they gave up.

Curly Bill
11/21/2009, 06:45 PM
The defense suddenly remembered they hadn't yet had one of our patented defensive meltdowns, and wallah, there it was. ;)

Sooner70
11/21/2009, 06:47 PM
I'm a Sooner Fan and usually stick to the bitter end, but I left it today with about 5 minutes left. They didn't deserve my attention. This was as sorry an excuse for an effort as I've seen since the 55-19 bowl blowout at the hands of USC a few years back. There was a total lack of focus and what effort that was there seemed misdirected many times. There were some good plays, but more bad. Undisciplined and inept. Offensively they just plain pitiful. Sad sight. What really shocked me was the inability of what I thought was a good defense. Maybe they prepared for the wrong team. I don't know what it was, but it was very ugly.

Tech played well....Torres for the Heisman. Can't take anything away from them.

I don't lay it all on Landry. My gosh, I counted at least 4 balls Tennell shoulda caught and didn't. Iglesias or Kelly woulda snagged those balls.

Both OU and ND could end up 6-6. Maybe they should play each other in the Toilet bowl. They both stink.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2009, 06:48 PM
and I say I dont blame em if they did

FaninAma
11/21/2009, 06:50 PM

Broken fibula? Seriously he went out of the game for that? He shoulda just rubbed some dirt on it and taped it up and got back out in the game.

okiewaker
11/21/2009, 06:51 PM
Okay.

westcoast_sooner
11/21/2009, 06:52 PM
Any way you slice it, the team's effort stunk today. Read someone's comment that the cupboard was bare, but I don't think so. The recruiting classes we get are as good as anyone's over Stoops tenure, with the exception of USC's. But we still have plenty of talent on the field to win. What we don't have is experience on the OL, and we don't have depth at OL, either. Read somewhere that the OL attrition at OU is 40% over the last several years. What that translates to is youth, inconsistency, inexperience and a 6-5 season, thus far.

But where do the road woes come from? WOW - I'm sure if Stoops knew, he'd plug that hole in a hurry. I just don't think it's one thing.

Today's effort was offf. From the opening kickoff until the end of the game. These guys just didn't look truly motivated to play. I'm guessing next Saturday they'll look like world beaters again, since the game is in Norman.

This is just not where we want this program to be. I don't think it's time to fire everyone, but some things will need to change. Some of that will be the maturation process of players. Stoops can coach. Maybe he just needs to figure out how to motivate the team for road games the way he does for games in Norman.

Sooner70
11/21/2009, 06:58 PM
Sooner70--you shouldn't be so negative......one potential bright spot....maybe we've finally found somebody that can kick a field goal from beyond the 25 yard line, reliably. He'll probably to the NFL after this season.

Curly Bill
11/21/2009, 06:59 PM
Sooner70--you shouldn't be so negative......one potential bright spot....maybe we've finally found somebody that can kick a field goal from beyond the 25 yard line, reliably. He'll probably to the NFL after this season.

...or we'll move him to guard. ;)

gaylordfan1
11/21/2009, 07:01 PM
So who all left the game today with injuries?

Habern
A. Taylor
Reynolds

pappy
11/21/2009, 07:26 PM
I certainly have some concerns, but I do think we give the coaching staff next year to prove the naysayers wrong. If I was a betting man I would put money on us being a very po'd fan base next year. I think we have a player problem.....and if you couple that with B- coaching

I think this coaching staff has been able to hide behind a few Texas missteps the last few years.

Head coaches are only as good as their assistants. When Bob came to norman he was surrounded by great assistants and now he has average assistants at best. Bob's assistants early on at OU helped make Bob look great and the assistants he has now help make Bob look not so great. He can brag about winning 6 conference championships, but if it wasn't were texas choking he wouldn't be able to say that.

If/When Mack wins his 2nd conference title and 2nd national championship this year...I'd rather have 2 and 2 instead of 6 conf and 1 national.

Bob has lost his mojo...it disappeared in January 2005...He needs to go find it.

nevermind he lost it in Kansas city a couple years before that...some guy name snyder stole it.

stoopified
11/21/2009, 07:33 PM
The last time I was THIS disappointed in an OU team was the GOWWDNS.

cobrapilot
11/21/2009, 07:41 PM
Fortunately Texass loses Shipley. Unfortunately Pony Boy gets replaced by a real qb that may be their equivalent to Sam. Hopefully they have a defensive dropoff and we can get back in the win column

I Am Right
11/21/2009, 07:42 PM
I guess you did not watch or attend the game, they QUIT

Okiemofo
11/21/2009, 08:05 PM
Maybe the team DID quit. Hard to blame them. Being stuck out on the field without any help from the sidelines. It was obvious by halftime that this game was over. Don't know how you could come away from this event and not wonder why certain assistants are still employed. I work for a corporation and they often endure big losses but they also know how to pinpoint the root of the losses and minimize them even if that means sending someone back to the unemployment line. Football is like a business and its success is determined by those who actively step up and take it to its highest level.

Collier11
11/21/2009, 08:49 PM
But I'm really not trying to be a smart @$$. I am serious. Any fan that can take the type of performances this coaching staff has turned in this year without calling for some changes next year is a good loyal fan. I am not the type fan that can keep from bitching about this coaching staff. I think they deserve a lot of criticism for the lack of preparation leading into the season and the way the handled their player personnel this year as well as their game-time coaching.

The coaching staff needs some type of shakeup even if it is just to tell them that another 4 or 5 loss season will not be acceptable.

and I dont like to think that im any better of a fan than the next guy, its not about that. For me I try to be realistic and for me that means realizing that inside of the sh*t filled season there are a lot of legitimate reasons why it has turned out this way. Maybe the coaches could have done a better job, I agree, but I also think it gets tough on a team when you keep losing starter after starter to keep your head up

wishbonesooner
11/21/2009, 10:45 PM
So, somebody tell me, are we seeing the end of this Sooner dynasty?

Curly Bill
11/21/2009, 10:47 PM
So, somebody tell me, are we seeing the end of this Sooner dynasty?

You're seeing the end of it for this season and likely next as well, after that...who knows.

So...yeah, I don't think we'll be much better next season.

noobalicious
11/21/2009, 10:58 PM
This was absolutely an awful performance all around. It was the worst regular season loss points-wise since October 8, 2005 when an unranked OU team fell to #2 Texas 45-12. It was possibly the most embarrassing loss since the Orange Bowl fiasco against USC (55-19) at the close of the 2004 season. And it was the worst regular season loss to an unranked team since a 34-3 drubbing by Texas in the 1998 Red River Rivalry. It was probably, without a doubt, one of the worst losses of Bob Stoops' tenure - if not the worst. --Crimson and Cream Machine

I'm sorry, but it's really hard to sugarcoat things even after all the injuries. Guys seem to have just given up. And I wouldn't care as much if I didn't see the same pattern in previous years. It seems like we just "go through the motions" or Stoops gets outcoached in a couple of games every year. And it's ALWAYS away from Norman.

Clearly SOMETHING needs to be done. I'm not advocating firing Stoops, but perhaps some parts of the coaching staff need to be shaken up.

Ignoring an obvious problem would be like a Michigan fan right now who says, "Well our win-loss record is improving under Rich Rod" even after Michigan has only won 3 conference games under Rodriguez, with only one of those coming on the road.

Coaches always have, and always will be, judged by the performance on the field. And I'm sorry, but if these results don't upset you then there's something wrong.

Soonerus
11/21/2009, 10:59 PM
It's almost like Stoops and the other coaches laid down too...

soonerchris
11/22/2009, 03:20 AM
How are we going to better next year exactly?

Collier11
11/22/2009, 03:38 AM
Well for one you fully expect Stoops do get these guys ready to play next year like he has every other year, for two you hope to God that you dont lose 9 or 10 starters to injury as we have

MamaMia
11/22/2009, 03:47 AM
Any way you slice it, the team's effort stunk today. Read someone's comment that the cupboard was bare, but I don't think so. The recruiting classes we get are as good as anyone's over Stoops tenure, with the exception of USC's. But we still have plenty of talent on the field to win. What we don't have is experience on the OL, and we don't have depth at OL, either. Read somewhere that the OL attrition at OU is 40% over the last several years. What that translates to is youth, inconsistency, inexperience and a 6-5 season, thus far.

But where do the road woes come from? WOW - I'm sure if Stoops knew, he'd plug that hole in a hurry. I just don't think it's one thing.

Today's effort was offf. From the opening kickoff until the end of the game. These guys just didn't look truly motivated to play. I'm guessing next Saturday they'll look like world beaters again, since the game is in Norman.

This is just not where we want this program to be. I don't think it's time to fire everyone, but some things will need to change. Some of that will be the maturation process of players. Stoops can coach. Maybe he just needs to figure out how to motivate the team for road games the way he does for games in Norman.
How many ways have we heard Stoops tell us how awful it is to get a win on the road? I've heard it every single year, ad nauseam. How is he going to motivate the team when he himself is intimidated by away games?

Like I've said before, Barry Switzer loved to play in hostile environments. He said that his players "feed" off of that hostility. Not saying that we cant overcome this huge problem, but how is our team ever going to successfully feed off of something that intimidates their coach? :confused:

soonerchris
11/22/2009, 03:47 AM
Here is where I hope I'm wrong. I don't know if the o gets the kw offense. We hav e freshman that were recruited that just don't seem like there far enough along at the end of the season. Then again I remember the age difference between 18 and 22 myself. Damn you collier, your making me argue with myself!! Heh

wishbonesooner
11/22/2009, 06:18 AM
I watch a lot of young, inexperienced teams every weekend. Most of them do not look like the Keystone Kops. Sometimes we do.

Since71ASooner4Life
11/22/2009, 07:45 AM

It's a little off my main point, but I'd argue that our recruiting classes (using Rivals as the measuring stick) haven't been top tier for the pasts 4 or 5 years - ever since the a$$ beating USC threw on us. Yes, recruiting has and will always be good here, but in recent years it hasn't been on par with USC, Texas, Florida, LSU, or Bama. We've had a few 5-stars, but not not many. We were fortunate that a couple of not highly heralded QBs turned out to be great. But until this year our defense has not been very good (or let's say not had it's dominating games) since 2003. With huge number of seniors on offense gone and a bunch of injuries, it's not hard to imagine that we aren't deep enough to overcome.

Back to my main point - agree with all who said today's effort was disappointing. It was, and some players did quit. I dont like to call out individual players, but it was sickening watching Quentin Carter (sorry dude the hair makes you stand out) wandering around and hardly paying attention during the PATs - was anyone else bothered by that? And seeing Cory Brandon in the background of the interview w/ Leach after the game laughing it up with a Tech player was really disappointing. The body language of the entire defense on that last scoring drive was deflating too - first time I've wanted to turn off since the USC a$$ beating.

It's all understandable I guess. Until yesterday, with some luck we could have been undefeated. Yesterday was the first all around bad game all year. The defense must be deflated from having played well all year but still losing. With all the expectations (and with good reason) coming into this year and having the bad luck we did before the season ever got started and the continual series of injuries it's all understandable how late in the season some players are feeling deflated - I am too.

And the pain isn't over - we're probably looking at Texas vs Tebow for the NC. I cant wait to hear all the Timmy & Colt feature stories. Next year will be better.

Sooner70
11/22/2009, 08:50 AM
The stats tell the story:

OU had the ball 23 minutes, TT 37 minutes. OU's D had held previous opponents to 178 yds passing per game, & TT was able to get over double that (388 yds). OU rushed a grand total of 48 yards on 26 carries.....just under 2 yds per carry....what a ground attack we have! We did manage to keep the penalties below 10, at 6 for 66 yards....that's an improvement. Tech doubled OU in first down permformance ...32 to 16. I'd say all around it was a pretty extreme butt whipping the boys took in Lubbock..Throw away the throwback unis.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/22/2009, 09:31 AM
Landry has got to learn to start throwing the ball away instead of taking those stupid sacks all the time.

The front O line could not keep a group of jenks players off of Landry.

Our D just gave up today , you could just see it all over them. It was horrible.

Hey, don't be talking bad about my alma mater (Jenks). Even though you're talking about my other alma mater (OU).:D

TUSooner
11/22/2009, 10:08 AM
Here's the pessimistic view to which I currently subscribe:

Losing top players shows you what kind of character your team really has. Strip away the raw talent of some of OUr key players, and OUr team looks undisciplined, unfocused, confused, and unsteady. When's the last time we won a game through sheer guts and determination? If it's not the responsibility of the coaching staff to develop the qualities that transcend raw talent, then why do we have millionaire coaches?

OU is looking more and more like a mirage these days. Sure, when we've been in form, we've stomped on the minnows, but we haven't been able to handle the big fish. When punched in the chops, we hit the deck. We didn't deserve even to be in at least 2 of those MNC games, LSU (because K-State exposed us) & Fla (because whiny b*tch Mack was actually right about head-to-head). But we got there because the polls somehow liked us (despite Sooner fans' knee-jerk BS about media bias). OUr BCS failures are too well-known to discuss: We manage to find our way to Carnegie Hall, sometimes with the help of strangers, and then we promptly tumble off the stage when the spotlights come on. Simply put, OUr team no longer has the character required of a champion. So when the talent falls off, we have nothing to stand on.

Stoops is like 99% of coaches who achieve some success. They start to coast (but never admit they are coasting), and they get stubborn, they refuse to change anything, and they refuse to listen to the noisy crowd outside the palace gates. It's natural, and it's happening in Norman.

I don't want Bob fired, I want him to succeed. His accomplishments can't be brushed aside, and he certainly deserves a chance to show he can accomplish more. But he can't get better results by doing the same-old thing with the same old people and by ignoring the same old flaws. Excuses don't feed the Monster.

On the other hand, it's just been a bad year, and we'll get over it. :-\

PLaw
11/22/2009, 10:40 AM
What we don't have is experience on the OL, and we don't have depth at OL, either. Read somewhere that the OL attrition at OU is 40% over the last several years. What that translates to is youth, inconsistency, inexperience and a 6-5 season, thus far.

Somewhat disagree - the Sooners started the season with 15 OL's (5 Fr; 5 Soph, 3 Jrs, 2 Srs) and 9 TE's (2 Fr; 3 Soph; 2 Jrs; and 2 Srs) on the roster. On the starting OL there were 2 SR., 1 JR, 1 Soph, 1 med RS-FR.

Injuries hit this group hard with Habern and Gresh getting dinged up before the season started. Habern was a TOP 5 center on every recruiting service and Gresh was All-World. Also, lost Simmons; Jones; and Eldridge (the best player on the team, period).

Still, Bob praised Williams as "the best OL" that OU has had in the past 10 years. Morevoer, Simmons was a 5th year player, Brandon was at TOP 25 OL, and Good a TOP 10 OL the nucleus of a solid O-line was intact. Obviously, the recruitniks had judged that the talent was in place for a championship run.

Minor injuries and poor play continued to plagued this group and there was no continuity developed on the most important unit on the team.

The injuries and slow development along the OL, plus the inability to have a TE step up to be any type of threat shipwrecked this team.

With Sam getting hurt and having to break in virtually a new receiving corps left the offense totally impotent.

Jones has played well for a RS-FR, certainly better than the center of the universe bomar did. Landry did not have the benefit that SAM had of having to compete for a starting job during the spring and summer. Landry knew he was going to be a back-up and that set him back from where SAM began during his first year as a starter.

Bottom line, too many obstacles to overcome for an inflexible O-staff. Wilson should have scrapped the 'hurry up" scheme as soon as SAM got hurt against BYU. The experienced, but unproven, immature O-line, missing the center was not capable of handling the complexity of this scheme. Instead, the challenge to man-up and just blow opposing DL's off of the line should have been issued. But, we all know the story of "ifs" and "buts".

Reality is that it will be a tough sled to keep from losing 6 games. Should make for an interesting week.

BOOMER

King Barry's Back
11/22/2009, 12:44 PM
I watch a lot of young, inexperienced teams every weekend. Most of them do not look like the Keystone Kops. Sometimes we do.

That's it. That hits the nail on the head. It's not that our guys are young, or inexperienced, or maybe that they are just not very fast/strong/agile.

Hell, our 2000 team was young and inexperienced, and it certainly was not the most talented team to win a BCS title.

There's an x factor there. They DON'T get ANY better as the season goes along, they NEVER seems to overachieve (as a unit), they appear to have NO DESIRE to win.

This has been going on for a few years now, and involved players and coaches long gone.

King Barry's Back
11/22/2009, 12:58 PM
Topic for discussion: Should Bob Stoops be feeling a little warmth in his coaching seat? Not should he be fired, of course not, but should he be thinking "Another year like this and the Regents will be at least re-reading the buy out clause in my contract"?

I say, yes he should be feeling a warmer chair. The University of Oklahoma does not hire coaches to lose 4-plus games per year. If you do that, even one time, then that's a season that you failed.

You don't get fired after one failed season, especially after the history that Bob Stoops has accumulated at OU, but you better know that it was a failed season.

If he turns in ten or eleven wins next year -- he's back on path -- but turn in an 8-4 fiasco after this season, and it's time for Mr Boren to have a face-to-face on when this turns around.

A third season of 4-plus losses, and then that warm seat turns hot.

MamaMia
11/22/2009, 02:05 PM
Topic for discussion: Should Bob Stoops be feeling a little warmth in his coaching seat? Not should he be fired, of course not, but should he be thinking "Another year like this and the Regents will be at least re-reading the buy out clause in my contract"?

I say, yes he should be feeling a warmer chair. The University of Oklahoma does not hire coaches to lose 4-plus games per year. If you do that, even one time, then that's a season that you failed.

You don't get fired after one failed season, especially after the history that Bob Stoops has accumulated at OU, but you better know that it was a failed season.

If he turns in ten or eleven wins next year -- he's back on path -- but turn in an 8-4 fiasco after this season, and it's time for Mr Boren to have a face-to-face on when this turns around.

A third season of 4-plus losses, and then that warm seat turns hot.

Hes proved himself to be a great coach. Look at all the Conference Championships we've won. I do think however that he needs to make some major changes. He needs to get to the bottom of why we can not defend against the pass on a consistent basis and he needs to get some advice from someone on how to win on the road. He needs a whole knew approach in that area.

[edit]...Maybe he and Coach Switzer could put their heads together. :D

The stats tell the story:

OU had the ball 23 minutes, TT 37 minutes. OU's D had held previous opponents to 178 yds passing per game, & TT was able to get over double that (388 yds). OU rushed a grand total of 48 yards on 26 carries.....just under 2 yds per carry....what a ground attack we have! We did manage to keep the penalties below 10, at 6 for 66 yards....that's an improvement. Tech doubled OU in first down permformance ...32 to 16. I'd say all around it was a pretty extreme butt whipping the boys took in Lubbock..Throw away the throwback unis. Like I have said for years... we can NOT defend against the pass on a consistent basis. Its embarrassing! :O

When you cant defend against the pass on a consistent basis, you can not WIN on a consistent basis, and thats what you have to do to win NATIONAL championships.

Collier11
11/22/2009, 02:58 PM
Landry Jones explained the road problems perfectly, this goes completely to coach Stoops ability to get these guys ready, he said, and im paraphrasing here, "we just dont come out with the same intensity, instead of waiting for something to happen we have to go make something happen".

Our teams are 19-16 I believe in the last 35 away from home, if a freshman QB is saying that the team isnt playing with any intensity on the road then Stoops needs to find a way to light a fire under their arse or get different guys to play

StoopTroup
11/22/2009, 03:20 PM
Back in the Day...Bob used to put big speakers out on the practice field to simulate crowd noise for the offense. I know they probably do something to teach these guys how to deal with it all better than that now...it's just an example of how they went "Out of the box" back then. It would be cool to know they are trying different techniques but in the last 8 years Bob has kept a lid on everything.

Maybe that's the key...maybe he ought to just get back to basics and quit being so paranoid.

PLaw
11/22/2009, 03:38 PM
how to win on the road. He needs a whole knew approach in that area.

[edit]...Maybe he and Coach Switzer could put their heads together. :D
Like I have said for years... we can NOT defend against the pass on a consistent basis. Its embarrassing! :O

When you cant defend against the pass on a consistent basis, you can not WIN on a consistent basis, and thats what you have to do to win NATIONAL championships.

That's laughable... totally shut down a much better tech team last year and has done as well as anybody in the high-octane offensive spread era.

FaninAma
11/22/2009, 04:05 PM
Plaw, how many of those OL were on scholarship?

I think only 12 were. OU needs 20 OL on scholarship
each and every year.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2009, 04:22 PM
They start to coast (but never admit they are coasting), and they get stubborn, they refuse to change anything, and they refuse to listen to the noisy crowd outside the palace gates. It's natural, and it's happening in Norman.

As a coach, if you start listening to the crowd you are in big trouble.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2009, 04:25 PM

It's 1982 all over again.

TUSooner
11/22/2009, 08:54 PM
As a coach, if you start listening to the crowd you are in big trouble.

In an important way, you are dead-on right. The surest way to fail is to try to please everybody. Most people, like me, don't know jack **** about Xs and Os or which players ought to play or that kind of stuff.

But, when 90% of observers see something big is wrong, you need to give it at least a thought rather than just ignore it. Pride goeth before a fall, and all that. Put another way, "the crowd" is the Monster you are supposed to feed. The minute you think you know everything, is the minute you stop getting smarter.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2009, 09:32 PM
But, when 90% of observers see something big is wrong, you need to give it at least a thought rather than just ignore it. Pride goeth before a fall, and all that. Put another way, "the crowd" is the Monster you are supposed to feed. The minute you think you know everything, is the minute you stop getting smarter.

If 90% of the fans see it, then the coach already knows about it. He has plenty of professionals around him that can see anything the fans can see and who have more credibility.

This assumes that what the fans see is really there. Often that isn't the case.

Put another way, "the crowd" is the Monster you are supposed to feed.

I think Switzer mentioned the Monster in a very derogatory fashion. The monster is there, but a coach shouldn't kowtow to it.

TUSooner
11/22/2009, 10:10 PM
If 90% of the fans see it, then the coach already knows about it. He has plenty of professionals around him that can see anything the fans can see and who have more credibility.

This assumes that what the fans see is really there. Often that isn't the case.

I think Switzer mentioned the Monster in a very derogatory fashion. The monster is there, but a coach shouldn't kowtow to it.

You're making this too complicated. If you don't win enough for the Monster, or at least give the Monster something to be happy about, you'll be fired, and it doesn't matter how right you are.

wishbonesooner
11/22/2009, 10:14 PM
Bob has a lot of work ahead of him. Is he up for it? I don't know. I sure hope so, but just leaving everything as is would be his downfall. JMO.

okiedokie
11/22/2009, 10:23 PM
Texas Tech played that Jump Around song and our players stopped to listen....they did not quit ..they just like the music... :-P

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2009, 10:26 PM
If you don't win enough for the Monster, or at least give the Monster something to be happy about, you'll be fired, and it doesn't matter how right you are.

Exactly how is a coach supposed to give something to make the Monster happy? Sacrificial lambs? Virgin sacrifice?

tulsaoilerfan
11/22/2009, 10:39 PM
Exactly how is a coach supposed to give something to make the Monster happy? Sacrificial lambs? Virgin sacrifice?

50 point wins and National Championships is what makes the monster happy

PLaw
11/22/2009, 10:46 PM
Plaw, how many of those OL were on scholarship?

I think only 12 were. OU needs 20 OL on scholarship
each and every year.

I think 12 may be a stretch and that there are only 11. You're spot on with numbers - I would at least like to see 15-18 on schloraship and another 6-8 walk-ons.

Get this, there are 18 DB's on the roster.

Hmmmm, makes you wonder who is managing this house?

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2009, 11:09 PM

Well, then why don't you call Stoops and tell him to give us some of them thar 50 point wins and national titles?

Me thinks the monster is going to need some anti-depressants for awhile.

GKeeper316
11/23/2009, 12:25 AM
In any event, back to vidya games. C ya

same...

o ya, we quit today! and down with that sort of thing and whatnot and such.

best thing we can get out of this season is beating them from up north and kill any hope they have of a bcs game.

i recall they've screwed us a couple times in the last few years...

tommieharris91
11/23/2009, 12:44 AM

I'm not even sure NCs are what keeps the monster happy anymore.

Collier11
11/23/2009, 12:50 AM
of course not, the monster is more happy when it gets to bitch and moan

Curly Bill
11/23/2009, 12:53 AM
of course not, the monster is more happy when it gets to bitch and moan

ROAR!!!!!!!

TUSooner
11/23/2009, 08:24 AM

Don't be obtuse just for the sake of arguing. :rolleyes: It's simple: Win every game, especially the big ones, and look good doing it! :D

(Realistically, if you must lose one game every 4 or 5 years, at least try to go down fighting and make the other team beat you by playing their best.)

kustang619
11/23/2009, 10:04 AM
Sometimes I wonder if there is something internal going on that we don't know about... Just curious...

Collier11
11/23/2009, 10:12 AM
yea, I ate some messican food yesterday, not good

Leroy Lizard
11/23/2009, 02:50 PM
It's simple: Win every game, especially the big ones, and look good doing it!

Remember the molecules? The Monster is composed of molecules. Coaches would be best to avoid worrying about the molecules. Do what you have to do to win and don't worry about what the molecules want.

TUSooner
11/23/2009, 03:29 PM
Remember the molecules? The Monster is composed of molecules. Coaches would be best to avoid worrying about the molecules. Do what you have to do to win and don't worry about what the molecules want.

You're really detemined to flog the s#!+ out of the little point you made, aren't you?

Crucifax Autumn
11/23/2009, 03:37 PM
http://manage.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/flogging.jpg

King Barry's Back
11/23/2009, 03:42 PM
It's 1982 all over again.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I was personally giving Stoops a pass on the first three losses, and the Nebraska game was an embarrassment but hey, you get one of those sometimes.

Then we mailed in that catastrophe in Lubbock. I'm looking for some accountability.

I mean, we've lost 5 games and the season isn't over yet.

baja okla
11/23/2009, 04:40 PM
Let's get some of the TCU assistants. They certainly get more from less. Like everyone else here, I thnk Stoops needs to change some stuff up. We were a lot more fun to watch when he was more aggressive/hungry.

Boomer Sooner