PDA

View Full Version : Blake Bell's last Bishop Carroll game

Okie35
11/20/2009, 10:34 PM
They lost in the 5A semi-finals to Hutchinson 42-21. Too bad Bishop Carroll's defense wasn't good enough to stop Hutch's Josh Smith that ran for 259 yards on 32 carries and scored 5 tds. Blake Bell looked poised but nobody really on his offense stepped up. Blake Bell scored on a 15 yard run, threw an 8 yard td pass, and then off a 1 yard run. His mobility was nice and made a lot of throws from nothing by his ability to scramble. He has a pretty strong arm and is really accurate but can improve. Hutch had a DE that is signed to KU that was all on over most of the game. So, that kind of knocked him off his stride. I can't remember Bell's stat line passing wise I think it was around 19-25 for 190+. He threw 1 int that was mostly the receivers fault because they broke the route. Bishop Carroll does seem to run the same type of spread we do. They also run no huddle and throw the same wr screens too. It shouldn't be hard for Blake to get into the swing of things w/ the offense. Anyway, I've never seen Blake Bell live but he looks pretty good. He'll redshirt next year, obviously but he'll be another great qb to add on to the legacy at OU.

GottaHavePride
11/20/2009, 11:20 PM
****in' Bishop Carroll.

I went to school at Northwest - the public high school about a mile from BC. ;)

MyT Oklahoma
11/20/2009, 11:28 PM
Hutchinson is a power in Kansas Class 5 A year after year.

However, I am looking forward to Blake Bell signing with OU and joining the Sooner family.

bmjlr
11/21/2009, 12:15 AM
Hutchinson is a power in Kansas Class 5 A year after year.

However, I am looking forward to Blake Bell signing with OU and joining the Sooner family.

Yes, Hutch is great. Blake played well, but the Oline, Defense, and WR's let him down.

The fullback for Hutch High needs to be signed by Stoops...he is a freaking beast! I am not sure where he is going, but if he is not signed, Stoops needs to jump on it. He ran for 4 TD's at least tonight and they were not at the goal line. First was 71 yards, second was 67.

Salt City Sooner
11/21/2009, 12:20 AM
Well, I just got back from the game & am typing most of this from memory, so if I miss something y'all want to know, just ask.

As for the game, with the physical dispairity I suspected beforehand, Blake needed to be the biggest star on the field in order for Carroll to have a shot. Unfortunately for BC, he got upstaged by Hutch's Man 'o War (disguised as a fullback), Josh Smith. Smith (who I'd LOVE for OU to take a chance on, he has fabulous leg strength & in addition, I have yet to see him get caught from behind) ran for over 300 yards & 5 TD's as Hutch won, 42-21.

Hutch forced a punt on BC's opening series, & proceeded to drive 80+ yds. for the TD. They went up 14-0 on a long Smith run before BC put together a nice TD drive to cut it to 14-7. Another long Smith scoring run made it 21-7 'hawks @ the half. The 2 teams traded scores in the 2nd half with yet another Smith biggie accounting for the final TD.

As for Blake himself, he accounted for all 3 BC scores, running for 2 & throwing for the other. From a scheme standpoint, BC reminded me a lot of Tech in that they threw a LOT of short stuff (the radio stats were unofficial when I was driving home, but they had him 26-36 for 226 yds & one pick in addition to that TD) which was a bit disappointing because I thought there were some shots down the field to be taken that BC didn't go for. IIRC, they threw only 2 passes longer than 15ish yards all night, hitting one of them for 30-35 yds. He did have a couple of bad reads, one of which was the aforementioned pick, & the other one he tried to jam it into bracket coverage (it should've been picked, but the LB dropped it).

Running-wise, they looked to me a bit like the old Snyder KSU teams w/ him. QB sweeps & leads, with just a bit of zone read sprinkled in (TONS of play-action off ot this, again pretty much exclusively short throws). I'm not holding my breath as I know it'd break recent tendency, but I'd love to see a bit more QB run game w/ him in Norman. No doubt in my mind that he can handle it, as he definitely has the wheels for it.

Any ?'s, just shoot.

bmjlr
11/21/2009, 12:35 AM
Well, I just got back from the game & am typing most of this from memory, so if I miss something y'all want to know, just ask.

As for the game, with the physical dispairity I suspected beforehand, Blake needed to be the biggest star on the field in order for Carroll to have a shot. Unfortunately for BC, he got upstaged by Hutch's Man 'o War (disguised as a fullback), Josh Smith. Smith (who I'd LOVE for OU to take a chance on, he has fabulous leg strength & in addition, I have yet to see him get caught from behind) ran for over 300 yards & 5 TD's as Hutch won, 42-21.

Hutch forced a punt on BC's opening series, & proceeded to drive 80+ yds. for the TD. They went up 14-0 on a long Smith run before BC put together a nice TD drive to cut it to 14-7. Another long Smith scoring run made it 21-7 'hawks @ the half. The 2 teams traded scores in the 2nd half with yet another Smith biggie accounting for the final TD.

As for Blake himself, he accounted for all 3 BC scores, running for 2 & throwing for the other. From a scheme standpoint, BC reminded me a lot of Tech in that they threw a LOT of short stuff (the radio stats were unofficial when I was driving home, but they had him 26-36 for 226 yds & one pick in addition to that TD) which was a bit disappointing because I thought there were some shots down the field to be taken that BC didn't go for. IIRC, they threw only 2 passes longer than 15ish yards all night, hitting one of them for 30-35 yds. He did have a couple of bad reads, one of which was the aforementioned pick, & the other one he tried to jam it into bracket coverage (it should've been picked, but the LB dropped it).

Running-wise, they looked to me a bit like the old Snyder KSU teams w/ him. QB sweeps & leads, with just a bit of zone read sprinkled in (TONS of play-action off ot this, again pretty much exclusively short throws). I'm not holding my breath as I know it'd break recent tendency, but I'd love to see a bit more QB run game w/ him in Norman. No doubt in my mind that he can handle it, as he definitely has the wheels for it.

Any ?'s, just shoot.

I watched it on TV and I love his passion and unfortunately for BC, he is the team. The way I see it, he has no Oline and his WR's are suspect, so he will fit right in at OU. His arm strength is great and I love his passion. His D let him down (not the case at OU). I cannot wait to see if he can take it to the next level (at OU) and be great. He is the real deal. I have a friend that is the coach at Heights here in Wichita, and he said he was the best player he has seen in a long time and he makes teams look stupid.

Blake went against a Hutch team that has won 5 straight 5A State Championships in a row, so a tough task. As for Blake, he did great. I would love to have Hutch's Smith at OU...I just don't know if he has committed anywhere. Stoops needs to take a look at him...he has super speed for a FB.

Salt City Sooner
11/21/2009, 12:59 AM
I watched it on TV and I love his passion and unfortunately for BC, he is the team. The way I see it, he has no Oline and his WR's are suspect, so he will fit right in at OU. His arm strength is great and I love his passion. His D let him down (not the case at OU). I cannot wait to see if he can take it to the next level (at OU) and be great. He is the real deal. I have a friend that is the coach at Heights here in Wichita, and he said he was the best player he has seen in a long time and he makes teams look stupid.

Blake went against a Hutch team that has won 5 straight 5A State Championships in a row, so a tough task. As for Blake, he did great. I would love to have Hutch's Smith at OU...I just don't know if he has committed anywhere. Stoops needs to take a look at him...he has super speed for a FB.

From the post-game interview:

Q: Is there a college on your radar at this point?

Smith: I've been looking around at some, but I don't have a solid choice at this point. I'd love to go to a division one school, but I don't know if anything's going to come up yet.

Sounds like a plum, ripe for the picking from where I'm standing. GO GET HIM BOB.

sooners2win
11/21/2009, 01:40 AM
I don't understand all the hype on a high school player, so many people think he is gonna waltz in here and take the job from Landry or Drew......I don't see that happening. Give the kid time and I hope he is great, but some of you have way to high expectations

IronHorseSooner
11/21/2009, 08:42 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Josh-Smith-96832

It looks like KU, KSU, Wyoming, and JUCO. It looks like his junior year he rushed for almost 2000 yards and 34 TDs! The guy also looks like a throwback FB like Riggins or Steve Owens. The guy we have now, Musil, is supposed to be a lot like this guy. He's a Kansas guy, as well. But, hey, if this guy's a beast, then I'm sure we could get him away from KU, KSU, or Wyoming, for God's sake.

Salt City Sooner
11/21/2009, 12:10 PM
I can understand why he's ranked as low as he is as at first glance, a 5'10" 215 lb. fullback doesn't raise too many eyebrows for the most part. His secret is those 2 sides of beef disguised as his upper legs. The kid's got incredible leg drive to go along with a flat out determined attitude (Hutch, for the most part, slams him up the middle time & time again & he invaribly breaks a couple of tackles almost every play), & as I mentioned, very good speed on top of it. Slap 20 lbs. on him in the weight room & you've got a two legged bowling ball that I personally wouldn't be eager to take on at all.

bmjlr
11/21/2009, 12:36 PM
I don't understand all the hype on a high school player, so many people think he is gonna waltz in here and take the job from Landry or Drew......I don't see that happening. Give the kid time and I hope he is great, but some of you have way to high expectations

He may or may not, but it is great to have talented depth at QB. The best man will start. Bell looks like a great QB...only time will tell.

Salt City Sooner
11/21/2009, 12:45 PM
Local story on the game, w/ highlights:

http://catchitkansas.com/global/story.asp?s=11549692