PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma's Governor Is A Moron

FaninAma
11/20/2009, 11:11 AM
Ada's last ob/gyn just quit his practice due to the cost of malpractice insurance. So now everybody here has to go to Norman or OKC for their obstetric care. So a town of over 20,000 has no obstretric care even in emergencies.

From what I can tell from talking to other physicians in Oklahoma the governor is also a liar since one of his campaign promises was to get tort reform passed. Not only has he not helped pass it but he and his administration have been the primary obstacle to passing it.

Oklahoma ranks at the bottom of most quality of healthcare surveys and an idiot governor catering to his trial lawyer supporters isn't helping as the loss of physicians to retirement, alternative practices and relocation to states that do have tort reform(ie Texas) accelerates.

Brad Henry....what a joke.

Okla-homey
11/20/2009, 11:19 AM
Ada's last ob/gyn just quit his practice due to the cost of malpractice insurance. So now everybody here has to go to Norman or OKC for their obstetric care. So a town of over 20,000 has no obstretric care even in emergencies.

From what I can tell from talking to other physicians in Oklahoma the governor is also a liar since one of his campaign promises was to get tort reform passed. Not only has he not helped pass it but he and his administration have been the primary obstacle to passing it.

Oklahoma ranks at the bottom of most quality of healthcare survery and an idiot governor catering to his trial lawyer supporters isn't helping as the loss of physicians to retirement, alternative practices and relocation to states that do have tort reform(ie Texas) accelerates.

Brad Henry....what a joke.

Everyone clamors for tort reform until they, or one they love, are hurt and they are denied access to the courthouse as is their Constitutional VII Amendment right because of legislative short-circuiting of same.

And just maybe, the OB's left Ada because they prefer the opportunities and life in the city over Pontotoc County. Same malpractice rules apply in Tulsa and Oklahoma County as in Pontotoc.

saucysoonergal
11/20/2009, 11:20 AM
Oklahoma has passed tort reform.

Have you been getting your info from tea parties or something?

Okla-homey
11/20/2009, 11:21 AM

He's probably mad because what passed was watered-down from what the insurance companies wanted.

FaninAma
11/20/2009, 11:35 AM
Everyone clamors for tort reform until they, or one they love, are hurt and they are denied access to the courthouse as is their Constitutional VII Amendment right because of legislative short-circuiting of same.

And just maybe, the OB's left Ada because they prefer the opportunities and life in the city over Pontotoc County. Same malpractice rules apply in Tulsa and Oklahoma County as in Pontotoc.

Spoken like a true attorney.. I practiced in Texas before and after tort reform was voted in. There is no comparison in regards to both the recruitment and retention of physicians....especially to rural areas. Texas' malpractice cases have been cut in half since tort reform. For the first time in half a century their rural counties are not losing doctors.

And I know the ob personally who just quit. He is staying in town but is now only doing minimal gynecology cases and weight reductuion and he told me personally that the change was due to the malpractice sitution. I also know his formal partner very well who also quit the practice of ob due to the malpractice situation in Oklahoma.

And if you think practicing in a more rural setting isn't riskier from a malpractice standpoint then you don't know anything about the situation. Rural areas don't have the facilities(ie neonatal intensive care units) or the staff that are trained to take care of the higher risk pregnacies and newborns that larger cities do. So the chances of getting sued are higher in smaller towns whent there is a bad outcome.

So if you have a friend or relative that goes into labor at 30 weeks gestation in Ada and has a precipitous delivery or has a placental abruption or placeta previa and is bleeding to death you're okay that all of the ob's have quit here?

Sorry to sound so harsh but your original response came off as very flippant when it is quite obvious you don't understand the implications of not having an ob doctor nearby to handle life-threatening emergencies for expectant mothers.

FaninAma
11/20/2009, 11:39 AM

You're very misinformed. There are no caps on awards. Go back and check your facts. Henry has vetoes the 2 attempts by the legislature to pass true tort reform.

http://www.tulsabeacon.com/?p=409

NormanPride
11/20/2009, 11:41 AM
Well, his wife is a nurse that I believe handles pregnancies and the like, so... Yeah I think he does. He's just not for tort reform.

BTW, I disagree with him on that.

saucysoonergal
11/20/2009, 11:42 AM
So, tort reform does pass in Oklahoma and they quit anyway? They either don't keep abreast of current issues that impact them directly which reflects poorly on their intellect or they are feeding you a line of bs because they wanted to quit for other reasons.

If doctors would actively police their own, like the legal profession does, instead of playing the good-ole boy I'll watch your back if you watch mine routine, doc's med mal rates wouldn't be such a big deal.

AND TORT REFORM DID PASS fercryingoutloud

saucysoonergal
11/20/2009, 11:43 AM
400k cap

saucysoonergal
11/20/2009, 11:47 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203585004574393060909451366.html

Here and there across America, good news does happen. Take Oklahoma, where the looming prospect of legal reform is causing a run on lawsuits.

Earlier this year the state legislature passed a reform abolishing joint and several liability and imposing a $400,000 cap on noneconomic damages, among other medical malpractice changes. The law will soon take effect, and this month one of Oklahoma's leading plaintiffs firms, Merritt and Associates, sent an all points legal email bulletin to potential clients: "DANGER! TORT REFORM LEGISLATION EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 1ST. FILE YOUR LAWSUITS NOW!"

You have to admire the subtlety of the salesmanship.

John Merritt, the founder of the firm, defended the email by telling the local press that he was only trying to defend "people who are horribly injured and have a claim of clear negligence." Then he added, "I am certainly against frivolous lawsuits."

Sure he is. But what his firm and others in Oklahoma are most against is a law that will save the Oklahoma health-care system between $50 million and $75 million a year by limiting baseless suits. The Oklahoma Chamber of Commerce estimates that nearly 50% of the cash awarded in malpractice lawsuits enrich not those "horribly injured" patients, but the lawyers.

This will also help the state keep up with neighboring Texas, which passed a major tort reform earlier this decade, causing the tort bar to target the Sooner State as its latest land of milk and settlement money. Now that tort possibility is closing, so better get your lawsuits filed now, or Mr. Merritt will have to find more productive employment.

Printed in The Wall Street Journal, page A14

http://newsok.com/revenue-shortfall-may-hurt-oklahomas-plans-for-tort-reform/article/3410974

Government might not be able to create fund to handle costs of jury awards by deadline
BY MICHAEL McNUTT Comments 13
Published: October 22, 2009

A continued revenue shortfall could affect whether the state can afford to create a fund to pay damages in physician negligence cases, a key component of the comprehensive lawsuit reform bill passed earlier this year.

Advertisement

"It can have a huge effect and it could make it where it’s not feasible to do it,” said Rep. Dan Sullivan, author of the lawsuit reform measure and co-chairman of a task force assigned to come up with ways to set up the indemnity fund.

"Until we know what the cost (of setting up the fund) is, it’s hard to say what impact it’s going to have,” he said Wednesday.

House Bill 1603 deals with how lawsuits are treated in court cases ranging from personal injury to medical malpractice. Among other things it sets a noneconomic cap of $400,000 for all negligence cases, but the cap may be lifted if a judge or jury determines there’s a permanent physical injury, some kind of catastrophic injury or gross negligence or recklessness.

In cases involving physicians, the cap will be lifted by the same criteria but has to be found "by a clear and convincing evidence,” which is a higher standard.

Plans call for the state to set up an indemnity fund that would pay jury awards above the $400,000. An annual cap would be $20 million.

Members of the task force met for the first time Wednesday and discussed the state possibly buying a $20 million insurance policy to provide money for the indemnity fund. The policy’s premiums would be paid with state general revenue funds.

But state revenues have come in about 26 percent below estimates so far this fiscal year.

If economic conditions don’t improve next year, it will be difficult to find money to pay the new expense of the insurance payment for the indemnity fund, Sullivan said. To keep the insurance premiums down, the state could put some of its own money into the fund.

Options include not setting up the fund and coming up with another method to deal with noneconomic damages, Sullivan said.

If the state’s revenues pick up in two years, when the indemnity fund is to be in place, lawmakers won’t need to look at another option, he said.

"Hopefully, we’re looking at a better situation by then,” he said.

Read more: http://newsok.com/revenue-shortfall-may-hurt-oklahomas-plans-for-tort-reform/article/3410974#ixzz0XQ2vnWKS

saucysoonergal
11/20/2009, 11:49 AM
Dang, I am so misinformed.

Viking Kitten
11/20/2009, 11:51 AM
That's strange.

Just for sh*ts and giggles I did a Google search for "Ada OB/GYN," called the Ada Women's Health Center and was told a Dr. Jordan or a Dr. Siegel would be more than happy to provide obstetric care in Ada.

saucysoonergal
11/20/2009, 11:54 AM
VKPwnd!!!

saucysoonergal
11/20/2009, 11:57 AM
And it sounds like someone besides Brad just might be a moron. ;)

NormanPride
11/20/2009, 11:58 AM
:pop:

FaninAma
11/20/2009, 12:07 PM
The May bill has no hard caps. Juries and judges can waive the caps. So essentially it is a toothless bill. It will not lower the rate of medical malpractice cases. It will not stem the rate of physicians leaving the state. It has not nor will not help lower malpractice rates.

It is a sham and the trial lawyers know that. There outrage has been non-existent because they know the bill that was passed has loopholes big enough to drive a truck through.

The GOP caved just to get something passed. They will have to go back at some point in the future and pass a bill similiar to Texas' tort reform law if they really want to improve the access of care in rural areas.....the type of tort reform bill that Henry vetoed twice.

OUDoc
11/20/2009, 12:09 PM

So, for maybe every 1 in 10,000 (?1 in 100,000, I'm guessing here) who get treated poorly by a quack physician, the rest get to suffer? Makes no sense, Homey. Lawyers are being greedy and causing people to suffer over this one. It's greed and greed alone, not what's fair.

saucysoonergal
11/20/2009, 12:09 PM
I just feel sorry for those poor pregnant ladies in Ada who have no OB/Gyn's.

A smart person would shuddup.

;)

C&CDean
11/20/2009, 12:37 PM
So I guess we have two ladies who sleep with the governor on the board. I'm cool with that...

badger
11/20/2009, 12:42 PM
If you don't like the weather in Oklahoma, wait a few minutes.

If you don't like the governor in Oklahoma, wait a few months.

Yes, that's right folks, here in Oklahoma, there are term limits on the governor and many other elected positions! In 2010, he will be voted OUT! I guaran-d@mn-tee it! There will be someone other than Henry elected next year!

If you don't like the way the governor is doing things, you can vote for change (or you can vote for a similar candidate if you like Henry) in November 2010!

And if you don't vote, please don't complain.

StoopTroup
11/20/2009, 01:54 PM
So I guess we have two ladies who sleep with the governor on the board. I'm cool with that...

http://www.candyfavorites.com/pi/1424.jpg

Sooner24
11/20/2009, 01:58 PM
If you don't like the weather in Oklahoma, wait a few minutes.

If you don't like the governor in Oklahoma, wait a few months.

Yes, that's right folks, here in Oklahoma, there are term limits on the governor and many other elected positions! In 2010, he will be voted OUT! I guaran-d@mn-tee it! There will be someone other than Henry elected next year!

If you don't like the way the governor is doing things, you can vote for change (or you can vote for a similar candidate if you like Henry) in November 2010!

And if you don't vote, please don't complain.

No he won't.

He won't be governor but it's because he has reached the end of his time in office. You're right about, he won't be governor, but not because he will be defeated at the election box.

badger
11/20/2009, 02:02 PM
No he won't.

He won't be governor but it's because he has reached the end of his time in office. You're right about, he won't be governor, but not because he will be defeated at the election box.

Your attention to detail on Friday morning is inspiring. ;)

Sooner24
11/20/2009, 02:39 PM
Your attention to detail on Friday morning is inspiring. ;)

Well it was Friday afternoon but you were close. :D

LePetomaine
11/20/2009, 02:58 PM
"Tort reform" does not solve this situation. I have yet to meet a single physician in Texas who has seen a reduction in insurance premiums since the state passed sweeping changes in '95 and again '98.

It only benefits one team . . . .

soonerhubs
11/20/2009, 03:21 PM
Not to attract any ire from either side, but are there legal means to set up mediation contracts that avoid expensive lawsuits? If so, wouldn't these help? If not, what are the pros/cons to mediation options?

I'm just asking, and, if I'm off base, I'll go to my corner.

badger
11/20/2009, 03:28 PM

Your attention to the clock this Friday afternoon is tyring.

OUMallen
11/20/2009, 03:30 PM
Did all these people quit?:

Local Obstetricians & Gynecologists
Dr. John C Siegle, MD
807 North Monte Vista Street
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Average recommendation rating*: 5 out of 5
Learn more about this doctor

Share your opinion

Dr. George F Robie, MD
1900 West 2nd Street SUITE D
Elk City, Oklahoma 73644
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Pediatrics
Patient Feedback

Average recommendation rating*: 2.5 out of 5

Share your opinion

Dr. Charles Whiting, MD
902 Arlington Center Suite 198
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Richard Mcclain, MD
1001 North Country Club Road
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Average recommendation rating*: 4 out of 5

Share your opinion

Dr. Neill Taylor, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Be the first to rate this doctor

Share your opinion

Dr. Jimmy B Wallace, MD
1414 Arlington Street Suite 1700
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

OUMallen
11/20/2009, 03:32 PM

Dr. John C Siegle, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. George F Robie, MD
Elk City, Oklahoma 73644
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Pediatrics
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Charles Whiting, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Richard Mcclain, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Neill Taylor, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Jimmy B Wallace, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

OUMallen
11/20/2009, 03:36 PM

Dr. John C Siegle, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. George F Robie, MD
Elk City, Oklahoma 73644
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Pediatrics
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Charles Whiting, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Richard Mcclain, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Neill Taylor, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Jimmy B Wallace, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

badger
11/20/2009, 03:37 PM

Your attention to the clock this Friday afternoon is inmaculate.

badger
11/20/2009, 03:40 PM

OUMallen
11/20/2009, 03:40 PM

Dr. John C Siegle, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. George F Robie, MD
Elk City, Oklahoma 73644
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Pediatrics
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Charles Whiting, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Richard Mcclain, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Neill Taylor, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Jimmy B Wallace, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

NormanPride
11/20/2009, 03:51 PM
someone done broke the board...

Partial Qualifier
11/20/2009, 03:55 PM

Dr. John C Siegle, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. George F Robie, MD
Elk City, Oklahoma 73644
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Pediatrics
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Charles Whiting, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Richard Mcclain, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Neill Taylor, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Jimmy B Wallace, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2009, 03:57 PM

Dr. John C Siegle, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. George F Robie, MD
Elk City, Oklahoma 73644
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Pediatrics
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Charles Whiting, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Richard Mcclain, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Neill Taylor, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

Dr. Jimmy B Wallace, MD
Ada, Oklahoma 74820
Specialties
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Feedback

Share your opinion

badger
11/20/2009, 04:00 PM
I breaked it. I braked da bored.

tommieharris91
11/20/2009, 04:23 PM

sooner ngintunr
11/20/2009, 04:33 PM

soonerhubs
11/20/2009, 04:45 PM
So did all those people quit? (Aside, none of the links to share my opinion worked, so the board must be done broke...)

badger
11/20/2009, 04:49 PM
So did all those people quit? (Aside, none of the links to share my opinion worked, so the board must be done broke...)

Quit people those all did? So broke down be. Must board the so worked opinion? My share to the links of none aside.

OklahomaRed
11/20/2009, 05:01 PM
Yes, they did. One quit, one left, and one works for IHS. So, here pretty soon, one OB for a town of 20,000K. Hope they can make it to Norman before they pop!! :D

Of course, if the lawyers really cared for the poor people being treated by so many BAD doctors, they would keep their take down to 10% of the settlement? :D

It's all about the money until people get pizzed off, then some freakin' heads are going to roll. :)

FaninAma
11/20/2009, 05:23 PM
You guys who support Henry can tout the bill passed in May all you want but it is not true tort reform.

All it does is shift the burden of payments from the insurance companies to the taxpayer.

First of all the non-economic cap of $400,00 dollars is a soft cap and can be waived. If it is waived then supposedly the state picks up the cost that are in excess of $400,000 dollars.

And how do they do this? Glad you asked. They do it with a tax payer funded insurance program. So actually it is the insurance companies that make out like bandits under this measure. And now there are rumblings out of the capitol that there may not be enough money in the budget to fund this program.

Additionally the insurance companies can still cancel a physicians malpractice insurance without cause so the law signed provides no support for physicians who are faced with loss of coverage.

The fact that a weak, watered down tort reform bill was finally signed into law doesn't change the fact that Henry stood in the way of tort reform for most of his tenure and has contributed significantly to the crisis going on in rural healthcare. It will take years to reverse the detrimental effects Henry's resitance to true tort reform has had on rural healthcare in Oklahoma. Henry knew that the GOP controlled legislature would pass tort reform with or without him so he stepped in and did the very best he could at preserving the interests of the trial lawyers.

jkjsooner
11/20/2009, 05:29 PM
I decided there was too much info in this post so I'm deleting it.

Summary: Stay the heck away from crappy rural doctors.

OklaPony
11/20/2009, 06:43 PM
I understand the frustration but this simply isn't accurate. Carl Albert Hospital in Ada has a 24/7 emergency entrance and definitely has ob/gyn care. There are signs all over the building that say they'll treat anybody in an emergency situation.

LilSooner
11/20/2009, 08:30 PM
So you mean to tell me that they can't go deliver at Pauls Valley, Ardmore, Mcalester, Seminole, or Shawnee. Riiiiight. The Ada hospital is now being managed by Mercy, and they are firing people right and left, and I'm sure the increased insurance rates has anything to do with the OR fire that happened last year. Because setting people on fire is something a hospital should be rewarded for...

Okla-homey
11/20/2009, 09:12 PM
400k cap

For pain and suffering damages only. As to other types of damages, including economic (med bills, future med bills, lost wages, lost of earning capacity) and punitive damages; no cap.

And pardon me, I don't know anything about this shizzle. I only practice in the area of medical malpractice defense in Oklahoma for a living.

Look, I'm proud about 95% of Okie docs are fine folks who may get sued occasionally, but those lawsuits will never see a courtroom. The other 5%, well, let's just say Saucy who stated the medical profession should do a better job policing its ranks is spot on.

As to the medical profession hating guys like me? I would remind them we had created the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution when the medical profession was still bleeding people to let out the "vile humours."

Mjcpr
11/20/2009, 09:17 PM
Sawbones vs Sheisters

Let's get it on!!!

Okla-homey
11/20/2009, 09:25 PM
It will take years to reverse the detrimental effects Henry's resitance to true tort reform has had on rural healthcare in Oklahoma. Henry knew that the GOP controlled legislature would pass tort reform with or without him so he stepped in and did the very best he could at preserving the interests of the trial lawyers.

Hey. Guess what? People have these things called automobiles now. We don't need a doctor in every one-horse town in Oklahoma anyway.

We have superb tertiary care centers in OKC and Tulsa for patients who require the skills of specialists. For routine stuff, just go the nearest town with doctors. Most likely, never more than a 30 minute drive by car.

As for sick neonates, OKC and/or Tulsa where the level IV NICU's are are obligated to come get 'em if they've got a bed. By ambulance or helo. You ain't gonna get some world-class neonatologist to practice outside OKC or T-town anyway because he/she need's a high-dollar Level IV NICU to do his/her magic.

As to level II nurseries, they're scattered around the state fairly liberally.

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2009, 09:27 PM
Homey, out of curiosity, what's the duty of care for malpractice in Oklahoma? Is it the standards of the community or the national standard?

SCOUT
11/20/2009, 10:10 PM
Homey, out of curiosity, what's the duty of care for malpractice in Oklahoma? Is it the standards of the community or the national standard?

I'll answer this one for Homey. They use the more traditional Marquess of Queensbury rules. YWIA

Okla-homey
11/21/2009, 08:10 AM

National standard as to professional negligence.

"Standards of the community" as to whether a piece of porn has crossed the line into the illegally obscene.

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2009, 08:53 AM
National standard as to professional negligence.

"Standards of the community" as to whether a piece of porn has crossed the line into the illegally obscene.

OK, wasn't sure. Some jurisdictions only look at the practices of doctors in the immediate vicinity to recognize that certain treatments and techniques aren't available in small towns. Some don't. Didn't know what OK did.

bluedogok
11/21/2009, 10:14 AM
The biggest part of the problem is people always trying to find someone else to blame for something that happens to a loved one, sometimes "things" just happen and it is beyond the control of whatever professional is attending to the matter. Not every defect or complication was caused by medical malpractice and many don't want to accept responsibility that something genetic could be the cause of the problem so they look for someone to blame. A big check isn't really going to absolve the loss of a loved one, if it does it says more about the claimant than anything else.

I know in my line of work (architecture) that professional liability insurance keeps going up at alarming rates as clients keep demanding lower and lower fees for more work, most would be shocked at how low our fees are, I know that doctors and lawyers would be. A big part of the problem is the scattergun approach of filing against everyone who could have possibly had anything to do with something in the hopes that a settlement is cheaper than litigation. The firm that I worked for in OKC had their own legal staff, he would tell attorneys looking to file that "I am a full time employee and get paid whether you sue us or not and I don't get paid to settle cases, we fight them", in many cases a suit was never filed because there was not a chance of a quick settlement.

OklahomaRed
11/23/2009, 03:18 PM
I understand the frustration but this simply isn't accurate. Carl Albert Hospital in Ada has a 24/7 emergency entrance and definitely has ob/gyn care. There are signs all over the building that say they'll treat anybody in an emergency situation.

Go attempt to be seen in the ER at Carl Albert. It's owned and operated by the Chickasaw Nation.

And to the posters who are saying, just climb in you car or call a helicopter and you can get "wonderful" care in OKC or Tulsa? Tell that to you wife when she's ready to "pop". Also, just dial up that $$$$$ helicopter ride when you could get good family care in your local town whether it's Lawton, Enid, Guymon, or Ardmore. Get real. Just because the doctor lives in OKC doesn't mean they are worth the 2 hour drive in some cases! The point is not whether or not any mid-sized Oklahoma town has "enough" doctors. The point is that excessive malpractice is driving many good doctors out of business. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Oldnslo
11/23/2009, 03:24 PM
According to the Tulsa World, exactly ZERO medmal plaintiffs prevailed in jury trial last year in Oklahoma.

Sure, there were settlements, but those all happened with the Doctor's permission. Because screw-ups happen.

if there's a villian in the story, it's the insurance company.

Okla-homey
11/24/2009, 07:45 AM
According to the Tulsa World, exactly ZERO medmal plaintiffs prevailed in jury trial last year in Oklahoma.

Sure, there were settlements, but those all happened with the Doctor's permission. Because screw-ups happen.

And among those settled-then-dismissed cases in which a plaintiff rec'd money, the circumstances generally involve a drunk/high/mentally unstable doc who cut-off, or out, the wrong body part. Or an octogenerian doc who badly blew it and really ought to hang it up.

But please, let's make it practically impossible to sue a doc. Because, well, you know, we don't want that relatively tiny number of docs with serious issues leaving Oklahoma.

I'm telling you, this "medmal reform crisis" is a fictional boogeyman. period.

Okla-homey
11/24/2009, 07:51 AM
Go attempt to be seen in the ER at Carl Albert. It's owned and operated by the Chickasaw Nation.

And to the posters who are saying, just climb in you car or call a helicopter and you can get "wonderful" care in OKC or Tulsa? Tell that to you wife when she's ready to "pop". Also, just dial up that $$$$$ helicopter ride when you could get good family care in your local town whether it's Lawton, Enid, Guymon, or Ardmore. Get real. Just because the doctor lives in OKC doesn't mean they are worth the 2 hour drive in some cases! The point is not whether or not any mid-sized Oklahoma town has "enough" doctors. The point is that excessive malpractice is driving many good doctors out of business. Wake up and smell the coffee.

I can smell the coffee. Thanks. You know what drives up a doc's medmal insurance premiums? Just like any other policy, the number of claims paid by that insurer regarding that insured. IMHO, any doctor under age 70 who has been sued for malpractice more than once by a plaintiff who actually rec'd money in a settlement, is NOT a "good doctor."

OklaPony
11/24/2009, 09:06 AM
So, you're saying they won't treat an emergency case because they're a Chickasaw Hospital?

TMcGee86
11/24/2009, 12:42 PM
I'm telling you, this "medmal reform crisis" is a fictional boogeyman. period.

ding! ding! ding! we have a winnar!

Tort reform has done exactly nothing for taxpayers in Texas. Insurance rates didn't go down, and doctor rates didn't go down. The only thing that went down was the amount of money you can get if a doctor butchers you.

Thank GAWD for tort reform! :texan:

FaninAma
11/24/2009, 01:51 PM

You have to have a CDIB card to be treated at Carl Albert. I guess the ambulance driver could show up at the Carl Albert ER with a woman in labor because she couldn't be treated at Valley View. The OB staff at CAIH are very good but they don't have the manpower to provide emergency services to the non-Indian population of Ada and the surrounding area in addition to their current duties.

mikeelikee
11/24/2009, 10:49 PM
Moron--yes, he is. I prefer to call him Governor Gump.

OklahomaRed
11/25/2009, 04:49 PM
ding! ding! ding! we have a winnar!

Tort reform has done exactly nothing for taxpayers in Texas. Insurance rates didn't go down, and doctor rates didn't go down. The only thing that went down was the amount of money you can get if a doctor butchers you.

Thank GAWD for tort reform! :texan:

Stats? Source? Link? From what I have read, and the doctors I've spoken to in Texas, Malpractice Insurance did go down. Like I said, if lawyers really cared about their clients they would reduce their fees. Stats on how many patients were butchered by doctors in Texas? The issue is that to many patients are playing the "sue someone lottery" and the lawyers have to advertise all over the TV so they can get their 50% of the final settlement claims. The US needs to go to a "loser pays" system and then we'd see the number of frivilous lawsuits go down. You can't tell me that people in the US are SUE HAPPY! :D