PDA

View Full Version : "Aaahhhh! Chomp!" - Gerald McCoy

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/19/2009, 01:46 PM
I love GK. Read on:

OU Notebook: Chicken Tech?

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer

Texas Tech fans were once infamous for throwing tortillas at games. That practice has been curbed, but a few still find their way onto the turf at Jones Stadium. This, apparently, is news to Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy.

"They throw tortillas?" McCoy said. "They better not throw me one. I'll be hungry. I'll eat it."

Actually, if Red Raider fans want to throw food, McCoy has a menu suggestion.

"They need to throw chicken," he said. "Hey, if they threw fried chicken — shoot, I'll provoke 'em on purpose. Aaahhh! Chomp!"

Getting wild: The OU offense versus Texas A&M renewed the wildcat formation, where DeMarco Murray or Ryan Broyles takes the center snap and just gets creative. Quarterback Landry Jones simply splits out wide on the play and the rest of the Sooners play 10-on-10.

"Usually I just try to get off the ball and try to get in the way of someone out there," Jones said.

Any threat of Jones running a route?

"Oh no. No, no," Jones said.

So what does he do when he splits out wide?

"Sometimes I just kind of come off the ball and get in the way of the corner," he said. "Sometimes I kind of just like to sit back and watch them run, see those guys play. Those guys are incredible."

Ever worry that the corner will take a cheap shot?

"No, I try to get out of the way of that, if that guy's coming down on me," he said. "Or I might even try to lock on to them and try to get them down."

Wild Sooner: When Darren McFadden brought the Wildcat formation in vogue at Arkansas, part of the threat was that he could throw a pass, which frequently resulted in a touchdown.

Is there any chance Murray might throw?

"I'm not sure yet," Murray said.

Is Murray a good passer?

"I'm not sure yet," Murray said.

Get the split: One thing that makes Texas Tech's offense so unique is the 2- and 3-yard splits by the offensive line. The idea is to spread a defense from sideline to sideline, which creates more space for offensive players to get free. But the Sooners have never had problems with it.

"Splits are just an illusion to our defensive line," said defensive tackle Adrian Taylor. "It doesn't really affect the way we play. It might trick a lot of other schools, but it don't fool us at all."

It's a snap: Why so many false start penalties by Oklahoma's offensive line? Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson doesn't have an answer.

"We're not trying to be cute with the snap count," Wilson said. "We don't get up there and change it a great deal. There are probably some junior high teams that could be more complicated than what we try to do. We're not trying to draw guys offside. It's not like a hard count or a bluff."

yermom
11/19/2009, 01:51 PM
as long as it's not his mama giving it to him :D

Mississippi Sooner
11/19/2009, 01:53 PM
as long as it's not his mama giving it to him :D

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT??? [hairGel]

badger
11/19/2009, 01:59 PM
Link here:
OU Notebook: Chicken Tech (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=395&articleid=20091119_92_B7_Chicke47166)

lol @ mississippi

BoulderSooner79
11/19/2009, 02:02 PM
I like Murray's answers :)

This article outlines the reason I'm not a big fan of the wildcat for all teams and in particular, Ours. For it to be a real threat, the wildcat QB needs to display multiple threats. It doesn't have to be the ability to pass, but that's a plus. It at least needs to be the ability to do a true option read and not just a set play with a fake read. McFadden was unusual in that he could really pass and run the read option (with Felix Jones, no less) and still be one of the best back in the country when he kept the ball. I've only seen set plays run by us with the normal QB split out an not involved. It's almost 11 against 10 advantage defense. Since there is no deception there, it would be better to substitute a real blocker for Landry and try to run it down their throats.

Having said all that, I do like us to run it a few times per game just to force the other team to burn practice time and as a change of pace. It's not like last year where any wildcat play was a play that Sam didn't get the ball. On average, our wildcat this year does as well as our regular offense - at least our regular running offense.

Boomer.....
11/19/2009, 02:05 PM
"They throw tortillas?" McCoy said. "They better not throw me one. I'll be hungry. I'll eat it."

:D

yermom
11/19/2009, 02:28 PM
I like Murray's answers :)

This article outlines the reason I'm not a big fan of the wildcat for all teams and in particular, Ours. For it to be a real threat, the wildcat QB needs to display multiple threats. It doesn't have to be the ability to pass, but that's a plus. It at least needs to be the ability to do a true option read and not just a set play with a fake read. McFadden was unusual in that he could really pass and run the read option (with Felix Jones, no less) and still be one of the best back in the country when he kept the ball. I've only seen set plays run by us with the normal QB split out an not involved. It's almost 11 against 10 advantage defense. Since there is no deception there, it would be better to substitute a real blocker for Landry and try to run it down their throats.

Having said all that, I do like us to run it a few times per game just to force the other team to burn practice time and as a change of pace. It's not like last year where any wildcat play was a play that Sam didn't get the ball. On average, our wildcat this year does as well as our regular offense - at least our regular running offense.

no matter what, they still have to cover Laundry. you can bet that if they give him too much space that we could take advantage of him

and i'm sure Murray or Broyles have practiced throwing passes, it's not like Bradley never threw any

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/19/2009, 02:34 PM
no matter what, they still have to cover Laundry. you can bet that if they give him too much space that we could take advantage of him

See also: Black 41 Flash Reverse Pass

gJtZYKIzzZE

yermom
11/19/2009, 02:50 PM
never link that again :mad:

the thing about that play that really boils my blood is the fact that Hybl selftackled himself out of the same play earlier in the game

then it's a Heisman highlight when they run it on us

:mad:

OK2U
11/19/2009, 03:01 PM
McCoy not a Nagurski finalist:
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/6913/suh-named-among-five-lombardi-award-finalists

BoulderSooner79
11/19/2009, 03:06 PM

and i'm sure Murray or Broyles have practiced throwing passes, it's not like Bradley never threw any

That's why I liked Murray's answer - he didn't say. But Landry pretty much said he is only a decoy or may try to get in the way of the CB. I seriously doubt we intend to actually pass, but I'd like to see it or at least some deception. The CB covering Landry will abandon his coverage in an instant if the run is coming his way and if not, he would not have been in the play anyway. I just don't see us getting any big plays out of this due to the formation. But as I said, if we can get the normal 3-5 yards and force the other team to burn valuable practice time, I'm all for it.

gaylordfan1
11/19/2009, 03:46 PM
I bet Broyles will be the passer not Murray. But thats just speculation.

CincySooner
11/20/2009, 09:17 AM
McCoy not a Nagurski finalist:
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/6913/suh-named-among-five-lombardi-award-finalists

that's not surprising. This is a really deep year for defensive players. Outside of the Iowa linebacker, who I haven't watched at all this year, it's hard to argue with the five that they picked.

Fraggle145
11/20/2009, 12:23 PM
See also: Black 41 Flash Reverse Pass

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

:mad: