PDA

View Full Version : AD in LA?

swardboy
11/18/2009, 07:00 PM
Vikings refuse to renew lease on stadium:

http://www.minnpost.com/jayweiner/2009/11/17/13538/metrodome_update_angry_vikings_blast_stadium_commi ssion_resolution

Metrodome update: Angry Vikings blast stadium commission resolution

So much for harmony.

The Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission's finance committee thought it was promoting peace and love with its last remaining tenant this morning (http://www.minnpost.com/stories/2009/11/17/13530/as_interim_solution_stadium_commission_offering_ne w_deal_to_keep_vikings_in_dome).

But its action has officially, instantly and angrily backfired.

"The lease extension issue is a non-starter," Lester Bagley, Vikings vice president for public affairs and stadium development, told me this afternoon after analyzing the five-page resolution. "Our ownership is outraged for the sports commission to advance a proposal that they know is completely unacceptable to the Vikings."

As I reported earlier today, the Sports Facilities Commission surprised Minnesota Vikings' management with a resolution seeking a lease extension in exchange for some financial considerations.

Call it extremely dead on arrival. And consider it a step backward in the already icy relationship between the agency and the Vikings ownership group led by Zygi and Mark Wilf.

For sure, a key issue to the Vikings is the post-season revenues the team generates at the Dome. Based on how well the team is doing on the field, at least one post-season game is almost assured again this season. Likely more. It could all add up to several million dollars for the team. The commission captured that revenue from the 2008 post-season.

Said a perturbed Bagley: "We've been negotiating in good faith to resolve this issue to get some short-term expense relief. Then, without the simple courtesy of a phone call or a heads-up they drop this radical proposal on us … Our owners are making significant investments in this team and building support and a winning team . . . The commission's action leaves us even more concerned about our long-term prospects here."

Bagley went on: "We're the last remaining tenant. We expect to be treated with some level of respect, and I guess we'll have to continue to wait. The Wilfs are landlords. You don't do this to a tenant whose lease is up."

The Vikings lease expires after the 2011 season.

The full Sports Facilities Commission meets Thursday when this committee resolution will be on the table for a full vote. Chairman Roy Terwilliger hinted at his discomfort at the proposal today, but he's not a member of the subcommittee, so didn't vote. It passed 3-0.

Among the members of the committee is Chuck Lutz, who is the deputy director of Community Planning and Economic Development for the city of Minneapolis, which, presumably, is eager to keep the team as happy as possible at the Dome.

Should be an interesting meeting Thursday morning — 9:30 a.m. at the Dome.

sooner59
11/18/2009, 07:35 PM
There might be something to this. L.A. is building a brand new stadium to entice a team.

But here is the big deal:

AD and Blake Griffin become buddies and Sooners take over the City of Angels.

ELP Sooner
11/18/2009, 07:40 PM
The problem is easily solved. Billionaire cheapskates can buy the land and build their own stadium with their money. Once they come crawling to the taxpayer I say to hell with them.

swardboy
11/18/2009, 07:41 PM
The problem is easily solved. Billionaire cheapskates can buy the land and build their own stadium with their money. Once they come crawling to the taxpayer I say to hell with them.

Will.Never.Happen. We likes our feetsball tooooo much.

Scott D
11/18/2009, 09:00 PM
In honesty, why should the Vikings want to stay in the Lamerdome, when both U of Minn. and the Twinkies got sweet new stadiums to play in.

Jdog
11/18/2009, 09:45 PM
Move em to OKLAHOMA.

How many butts could we put in seats at Boone or Gaylord to watch AD, Load, and Farve,(and the Bradfordmister).

auto
11/18/2009, 09:52 PM

Exactly. The dumbass citizens who vote for this shiaaaat are just as dumb as the owners are greedy.:mad:

swardboy
11/18/2009, 09:59 PM
Seems like the cities that put up-to-date sporting venues reap a economic windfall in revitalizing jobs/restaurants/businesses in these areas. Not the rule, but part of the overall benefits of the situation in most cases...imho.

ouleaf
11/19/2009, 01:16 AM
Vikings will stay in Minnesota. I don't think the NFL is going to expand, so a team will definitely move there. I'm thinking it will most likely be Jacksonville though. They can't fill their stadium whatsoever.

oksoonerdave
11/19/2009, 01:36 AM
San Antonio built the Alamo Bowl twenty years ago to entice an NFL team. Didn't happen. The Spurs helped it from becoming a total bust. Now that the Spurs have their own house, it is just plain sitting there. However, there still may be hope for it as the University of Texas San Antonio (UTSA) has plans to use it for their games.

Still, it was a big bust on the tax payers.

badger
11/19/2009, 09:33 AM

It all comes down to whether a city wants a team, because there are other cities - like LA - that can and have built stadiums for rich owners to entice teams away from their current homes.

If you say "hell with them," they'll say "hell with you" and take their team and leave.

As for the Alamodome, it hasn't been a total bust. It's hosted a few major sports events, like OU's Final Four in 2002.

My Opinion Matters
11/19/2009, 09:46 AM
This is nothing but posturing. The Vikings want a new tax-subsidized football only stadium in the Twin Cities, and they'll get it eventually. They're giving up one of the most significant homefield advantages in the league in doing so, but the NFL is a business and no one cares about things like that.

Red October
11/19/2009, 12:47 PM
It will be the Los Angeles Jaguars in 2011 anyway. First Season venues will switch between the Rose Bowl and Coliseum while the new stadium is being built in Pomona.