PDA

View Full Version : A warning to those driving to Lubbock.

SoonerInLubbock
11/18/2009, 02:33 PM
I've lived in Lubbock for a couple years now (originally from Edmond). I drive to Amarillo often for work. Well last night I received my first ticket in about ten years from a Tulia police officer. The infraction 74 in a 70. I think he was looking for drunk drivers but anyway. When he saw my OU sweatshirt his eyes lit up and actually said...and I quote "ahhh I get to give a Sooner a ticket tonight".

Now as he handed me the ticket had the nerve to say, " I should be able to get a few more Sooners by the end of the weekend" or something to that effect.

So I warn you all my Sooner brethren who will be making the trip to Lubbock. Go slow through Tulia. It's on I-27 about 40-45 mins south of Amarillo.

Boomer Sooner, ....

OUDoc
11/18/2009, 02:35 PM
" I should be able to get a few more Sooners by the end of the weekend"
He probably meant sexually.

Jello Biafra
11/18/2009, 02:49 PM
I've lived in Lubbock for a couple years now (originally from Edmond). I drive to Amarillo often for work. Well last night I received my first ticket in about ten years from a Tulia police officer. The infraction 74 in a 70. I think he was looking for drunk drivers but anyway. When he saw my OU sweatshirt his eyes lit up and actually said...and I quote "ahhh I get to give a Sooner a ticket tonight".

Now as he handed me the ticket had the nerve to say, " I should be able to get a few more Sooners by the end of the weekend" or something to that effect.

So I warn you all my Sooner brethren who will be making the trip to Lubbock. Go slow through Tulia. It's on I-27 about 40-45 mins south of Amarillo.

Boomer Sooner, ....

yeh i remember the one and only time i made the trip to lubbock. very costly for me...hit a skunk....lost a windshield....got a speeding ticket to the tune of about 275 bucks... with the cleaning of the truck and the widshield coupled with the ticket, cost me about 600 bucks without tickets to the game and gasoline.

yermom
11/18/2009, 02:53 PM
i was kinda planning on avoiding Amarillo this time

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/18/2009, 02:55 PM
I drove from Norman to Lubbock at least once a month for two year and my wife likewise and we both got pulled over in Tulia on our last trips to visit each other before we moved to Houston. She got pulled over for 80 in a 70 and I got pulled over for 75 in a 70. Luckily, both of us got warnings, but definitely don't speed through this ****-hole town.

SoonerInLubbock
11/18/2009, 02:58 PM
i was kinda planning on avoiding Amarillo this time

I have made the drive from OKC to Lubbock more times than I even want to count. I find the interstate route to be much easier. Just hit the cruise and go. Just don't expect to see much. :( lol.

JLEW1818
11/18/2009, 03:03 PM
take this way

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Norman&1s=ok&2c=Lubbock&2s=tx

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/18/2009, 03:17 PM
SIL is totally right. I lived about 30 minutes from Tulia and I'd been pulled over there at least 5 or 6 times(yea I do drive fast though). I'll be coming up from College Station to the game and anyone making the trek through the Abilene area, watch out on the interstate around Abilene and a nice little speed trap called Roscoe between Abilene and Lubbock. Besides the Tech fans being classless morons, the cops in lubbock are idiots looking to give out of towners a ticket or trip to jail.

yermom
11/18/2009, 03:32 PM
heh, Roscoe

ouduckhunter
11/18/2009, 03:48 PM
yeh i remember the one and only time i made the trip to lubbock. very costly for me...hit a skunk....lost a windshield....got a speeding ticket to the tune of about 275 bucks... with the cleaning of the truck and the widshield coupled with the ticket, cost me about 600 bucks without tickets to the game and gasoline.

Sounds like a twisted take on one of those Mastercard commercials that ends with "Priceless". Only in this case the commercial would end with Lubbock sucks!

texas bandman
11/18/2009, 04:14 PM
take this way

If you go that way after dark watch out for deer...they are plentiful and love to stand in the highway. Especially the section of highway around Seymour.

JLEW1818
11/18/2009, 04:26 PM
If you go that way after dark watch out for deer...they are plentiful and love to stand in the highway. Especially the section of highway around Seymour.

that's why you bring a 30-30

ouduckhunter
11/18/2009, 04:28 PM

LOL! I want to get in on that action!

Jello Biafra
11/18/2009, 04:32 PM
Sounds like a twisted take on one of those Mastercard commercials that ends with "Priceless". Only in this case the commercial would end with Lubbock sucks!

i was really angered to say the least...i vowed right then and there on that highway (waiting for my ticket) that i would NEVER spend another dime in that state. of course, i changed that statement to "unless there are tickets to OU-texasss involved. ;)

who knew non-engrish speaking immigrants would charge me 75 bucks to wash the skunk ****te off my truck???

what kind of luck does it take to hit a skunk, take a large rock to the middle of the windshield and get a 275 dollar ticket for speeding 7 miles over the speed limit in less than a 12 hour period?

85Sooner
11/18/2009, 05:44 PM
and cops wonder why people don't like them. They can keep their little comments to themselves unless they are willing to listen to comments directed at them.

ocsooner
11/18/2009, 05:49 PM

To the Game?? Maybe some zebra hunting??

OUMallen
11/18/2009, 06:24 PM
Tulia

The richest land. The finest people.

I've been pulled over on I-27 once going 10+ over. I make the trip about twice a month, average 5 over, and never get pulled over.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/18/2009, 06:28 PM
Are the roads paved in and around Lubbock?

ELP Sooner
11/18/2009, 07:43 PM
I hear they got an air eee oh porto. If your pilot can navigate around the crop dusters you might make it on-time.

OU-HSV
11/18/2009, 08:42 PM
take this way

I was halfway thinking about taking that route once I get into the OKC area from Broken Arrow. But today I talked myself into go through Amirillo. My wife is pregnant and I figure I-40 will be a smoother route w/more or at least better places to stop.

I heard to make better time on the route you posted that you have to speed and/or be ready to pass a bunch of people. And the last thing I want to do is get stuck behind a bunch of d-bags on a 2 lane road. Cause the way my luck goes on 2 lane roads, every pass zone I face too many oncoming cars.

Anyway, I'll watch my speed through Tulia.
I appreciate the warning SIL.

beer4me
11/18/2009, 09:02 PM
Not the same area but nearby and a true story.

2004 OU FEXUS WEEKEND (Friday) I was here in OKC at TAFB my wife was working at OST in Albuquerque NM.
I was either driving or riding my motorcycle back and forth between the OKC and Albuquerque three weekends a month for 2 years.

Came out of Armadillo on I40 just a few miles west of the feeder lot on the south side of I40.

Got pulled over fer speeding 77 mph in a 70 mph zone.

Fexus trooper came up and said in a nice voice “you know why you are being pulled over” ….me..yes I was going a bit over the limit I think.

Trooper “yes just a couple over just gonna give you warn………..”

He seen my T shirt………… had a upside down longhorn OU shirt on

Trooper “I will be right back”

5 or 6 minutes later trooper returns hands me a ticket for +5 over

$245.00

Tuck fexus

spatton713
11/19/2009, 01:19 AM

Boomer Sooner, ....

damn lol...i lived in amarillo for 21 years...im now 22 and live in fort worth....made many a drives to tulia, plainview, lubbock and yes...any of those small towns they WILL be waiting to nail you and yes i had a sooner license plate frame and i once got a ticket when i was 18 for it because it covered up the texas part barely.the cop actually said it was only because i was an ou fan....yes i did get a lawyor and get it dismissed but that was like $300 later....canyon is the worst. DO NOT SPEED THROUGH canyon- 15 min south of amarillo.

spatton713
11/19/2009, 01:24 AM
take this way

good route but def slow down in all the ****holes and watch for deer at night

also after game hit up josies off university....all night mexican food...bomb

soonerboy
11/19/2009, 02:32 AM
You know I've never been to the great city of Lubbock Texas, but it sounds dangerous

OUDoc
11/19/2009, 08:54 AM
You know I've never been to the great city of Lubbock Texas, but it sounds dangerous
If you have allergies to dust and boredom, it's the most dangerous city in America.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/19/2009, 08:59 AM
Actually, Lubbock is a pretty cool place if you know all the right spots, just getting to it is a pain in the neck.

SoonerInLubbock
11/19/2009, 06:20 PM
If you have allergies to dust and boredom, it's the most dangerous city in America.

I have to admit when I first moved here I absolutely hated it. I mean I really despised this armpit of texas with a passion. But my career has skyrocketed since moving here. So on one hand I hate the environment but on the other hand I'm living comfortably. I guess that's worth something.

OUMallen
11/19/2009, 06:53 PM
According to Google Maps, you'll save about half an hour from OKC going through Amarillo.

Lubbock isn't that bad at all. You just have to appreciate it. Better than, say, Ardmore. (And I like Ardmore just fine.)

JLEW1818
11/19/2009, 06:56 PM
the waiter at El Chico in Ardmore sucks

Flagstaffsooner
11/19/2009, 07:09 PM
I have to admit when I first moved here I absolutely hated it. I mean I really despised this armpit of texas with a passion. But my career has skyrocketed since moving here. So on one hand I hate the environment but on the other hand I'm living comfortably. I guess that's worth something.You must shovel horse-$hit for a living.:texan:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/19/2009, 07:22 PM
the waiter at El Chico in Ardmore sucksThis board won't tolerate such abuse!

bevans22
11/19/2009, 08:47 PM
I make the drive twice a month from Amarillo to Lubbock and see plenty of cops during the day. I set the cruise on 74 and go down the road without any problems. But be cautious this Friday...I bet there will be a few highway patrolmen sitting in the bar ditch just waiting to take Oklahoma money.

PLaw
11/19/2009, 09:17 PM
yep, spent 5 years of my life in the hub city. got stopped one night after a sorority party (and more than a few cold brews). Lubbock cop asked me where I was from and we began talking HS fb. he was originally from Amarillo and come to find out, he played against my dad at norman hs.

moral to the story - always be respectful and talk HS fb. i should have had a dwi that night, but all i got was "keep it on the right side of the road and get your butt straight home". yes, sir.

BOOMER

PLaw
11/19/2009, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=OUMallen;2770223]According to Google Maps, you'll save about half an hour from OKC going through Amarillo.

yeah, but you will miss Seymor and the Rock Inn cafe.

PLaw
11/19/2009, 09:21 PM
I have to admit when I first moved here I absolutely hated it. I mean I really despised this armpit of texas with a passion. But my career has skyrocketed since moving here. So on one hand I hate the environment but on the other hand I'm living comfortably. I guess that's worth something.

Your geography is a little off, the arm pit of texas is about 120 miles due south.
or

Maybe one is the left arm and the other the right arm??

Lived in both places for too long.

OUMallen
11/19/2009, 11:18 PM
The richest land. The finest people.

I've been pulled over on I-27 once going 10+ over. I make the trip about twice a month, average 5 over, and never get pulled over.

Forgot to say it was at night and I only got a warning. They're not too bad if you're not ridiculous. Oklahoma plates around Lubbock aren't completely rare since Tech is a pretty large university.

SoonerInLubbock
11/20/2009, 11:21 AM
You must shovel horse-$hit for a living.:texan:

You are incorrect sir. :confused:

CJ2608
11/20/2009, 12:37 PM
Okay - I wanted to share this with loyal OU fans. If you're driving & have an iphone take a minute & download a cool iphone app called Bedlam nation - crimson. Anyway, it's pretty sweet & it's free.

Also, I went to an OU game at Tech several years ago and was actually spit on by a Tech fan. They're pretty awful & very sore losers. Can't make it this weekend, but drive safe & have fun everyone making the trip!

BOOMER SOONER!