PDA

View Full Version : Vidya games

badger
11/18/2009, 10:09 AM
NP and I just got Left 4 Dead 2 and Assassin's Creed 2.

In L4D2, it might be because the maps aren't as straight-forward, it might be because it's our first time playing the maps, but we got lost a lot and died only a few rounds in on normal mode. We barely survived a different campaign on easy... the fourth guy who was AI didn't make it to the helicopter though, lol :D

AC2 is tons of fun already and I'm only about an hour in. The last one had a lot of repetition, but this one has something that you don't mind repeating: easy thievery. Just hold down the A button (on 360) as you walk through a crowd and see how much coinage you can pillage, lol :D

Anyone else get any games within the last month or so, or plan to soon?

Jello Biafra
11/18/2009, 11:07 AM
I was thinking about AC2.
i have never played baldurs gate until now for whatever reason. I beat the game and now im looking for another like it. I love the warcraft/EQ type games but dont know of many of them. is AC2 like this?

badger
11/18/2009, 11:10 AM
It is very similar to Prince of Persia, in that you're free running in an open environment trying to complete tasks and get to new areas. I played World of Warcraft (uggg, so many hours down the drain, hehe) and it's similar to that in that you're approached by random people or presented with random situations where you have to solve others (and your own) problems, and you usually get rewarded afterward.

Again, I'm only an hour into the game, but I played through the original AC (only a few million flags short of the rest of the achievements, argggggh) and it seems like they just expanded the gameplay in this one. It's set in Italy around the 15th century. I'm already clicking on the history lessons that are available every so often, heh. Did you know banks were disallowed from charging interest by the Catholic Church?

NormanPride
11/18/2009, 11:21 AM
If you want another like Baldur's Gate, you can try Fallout 3. It's an excellent game, and has some pretty heavy RPG elements.

GottaHavePride
11/18/2009, 11:48 AM
If you don't mind your RPGs with a touch of sci-fi, go for Mass Effect. Seriously. I just finished it and it was one of those "can't stop playing" games because I was impatient to find out what happens.

kbsooner21
11/18/2009, 11:50 AM
I'm thinking of getting Resident Evil 5, I believe is the latest one out. Anyone played it?

SoonerStud615
11/18/2009, 12:05 PM
Picked up Modern Warfare 2 last Tuesday. Short, but really fun campaign, and obviously the multiplayer is where the game shines. The XBOXLive is awesome, but the new Spec Ops mode gives you and a friend challenges to complete and is a lot of fun.

JLEW1818
11/18/2009, 12:37 PM
Badger, my buddy played it for 18 hours straight... is it really that good?

soonerinkaty
11/18/2009, 12:48 PM
Mass Effect 2 cant get here soon enough

SoonerAtKU
11/18/2009, 01:23 PM
Mass Effect is great, can't wait for 2. Also Bioshock 2 isn't far off.

Dragon Age: Origins is supposed to be sort of a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate games, but I haven't played it yet.

OUDoc
11/18/2009, 01:36 PM
Bioshock 2 is February 11 or 19 or something, isn't it?

Ardmore_Sooner
11/18/2009, 01:39 PM
AC2 FTW!

yermom
11/18/2009, 01:46 PM
anyone played that new Wii Mario game?

i've been having some Mario cravings for some reason lately

i don't even have a Wii though...

C&CDean
11/18/2009, 02:00 PM
That Pong rocks my ****ing world.

Jello Biafra
11/18/2009, 02:13 PM
That Pong rocks my ****ing world.

roflmao

defender or joust dean? seriosuly, i know YOU played one of those back in the day.

SoonerAtKU
11/18/2009, 02:16 PM
A guy I work with says that the new Mario game is better than Mario 3 or Super Mario World. Strong words. I'm intrigued.

yermom
11/18/2009, 02:22 PM
the stuff from E3 looked pretty impressive

C&CDean
11/18/2009, 02:34 PM
roflmao

defender or joust dean? seriosuly, i know YOU played one of those back in the day.

Nope. I did play a lot of Pacman, Asteroids, Tetris, and tore up several pinball machines.

I think I played some Mario Bros. game maybe 15 years ago on one of the kids' game dealios, and I did rock out to War Pigs on Guitar Hero when it first came out.

I don't really have anything against all these games - other than that they keep a lot of kids (and I guess grown-assed adults too) from being productive. They also help continue the fattening of America. All those pasty-skinned, fat little munchkins with thumbs of steel. They can't do a push up or a sit up, but they can conquer the ****ing world with their thumbs.

Fraggle145
11/18/2009, 02:43 PM
Borderlands. If you like shooters and you like rpgs then just go buy it.

I have been playing it for two weeks now. Beat it this past weekend and on my second run through. And you can play on xboxlive with 4 peeps at the same time.

Jello Biafra
11/18/2009, 03:01 PM
Nope. I did play a lot of Pacman, Asteroids, Tetris, and tore up several pinball machines.

I think I played some Mario Bros. game maybe 15 years ago on one of the kids' game dealios, and I did rock out to War Pigs on Guitar Hero when it first came out.

I don't really have anything against all these games - other than that they keep a lot of kids (and I guess grown-assed adults too) from being productive. They also help continue the fattening of America. All those pasty-skinned, fat little munchkins with thumbs of steel. They can't do a push up or a sit up, but they can conquer the ****ing world with their thumbs.

son
of
a
bish

thats it dean... its obvious by listening to this post, you and my wife have been mind melding. i smack you cross the beard with my glove. flag pole.... 3pm.

noone melds with my wif cept me. ;)

NormanPride
11/18/2009, 03:24 PM
I've heard good things about Borderlands as well. RPG + FPS has always been fun for me, ever since the Planetside stuff. MAN that game was fun.

C&CDean
11/18/2009, 03:48 PM
son
of
a
bish

thats it dean... its obvious by listening to this post, you and my wife have been mind melding. i smack you cross the beard with my glove. flag pole.... 3pm.

noone melds with my wif cept me. ;)

She called it something else. I don't remember her ever saying "meld me.":texan:

jkjsooner
11/18/2009, 04:03 PM
i have never played baldurs gate until now for whatever reason. I beat the game and now im looking for another like it. I love the warcraft/EQ type games but dont know of many of them. is AC2 like this?

Were you playing the original RPG Baldur's Gate games or the more hack-n-slash BG Dark Alliance games on the consoles?

I liked the Dark Alliance game - partially because it was 2 player and my wife and I played together. I really like Oblivion. It's only a single player but it is a great game. It's an older game so it's pretty cheap. It's made by the same people who made Fallout 3 (that someone else suggested).

I tried AC but I never really gave it a shot. I found the learning curve to be a little too high for my taste and I was in the middle of Oblivion and wasn't willing to learn the controls for a new game at the time.

badger
11/18/2009, 04:11 PM
Badger, my buddy played it for 18 hours straight... is it really that good?

If you're referring to AC2, yes. If you're referring to L4D2, I don't think I could kill zombies that long.

If you don't mind your RPGs with a touch of sci-fi, go for Mass Effect. Seriously. I just finished it and it was one of those "can't stop playing" games because I was impatient to find out what happens.
Look up Mass Effect on Youtube and you will find a really funny video about the main character acting like an @$$hole.

I'm thinking of getting Resident Evil 5, I believe is the latest one out. Anyone played it?
There should still be a free demo on XBL if you want to try before you buy.

AC2 FTW!
Oh yes, definitely FTW... based on my vast one hour of playing time ;)

A guy I work with says that the new Mario game is better than Mario 3 or Super Mario World. Strong words. I'm intrigued.
It got fairly good reviews... Nintendo obviously did not pay to get 10s like some other games that recently got the perfect score undeservingly, but it still seems like a fun game.

If you want Mario but don't have a Wii, try the DS version. It's been out for several years, but is crazy fun.

Jello Biafra
11/18/2009, 04:18 PM
Were you playing the original RPG Baldur's Gate games or the more hack-n-slash BG Dark Alliance games on the consoles?

I liked the Dark Alliance game - partially because it was 2 player and my wife and I played together. I really like Oblivion. It's only a single player but it is a great game. It's an older game so it's pretty cheap. It's made by the same people who made Fallout 3 (that someone else suggested).

I tried AC but I never really gave it a shot. I found the learning curve to be a little too high for my taste and I was in the middle of Oblivion and wasn't willing to learn the controls for a new game at the time.

dark alliance for PS2... getting a ps3 for the midget for christmas. i figured i might as well get ME a christmas present as well ;)

jkjsooner
11/18/2009, 05:01 PM
dark alliance for PS2... getting a ps3 for the midget for christmas. i figured i might as well get ME a christmas present as well ;)

Then I would definitely suggest Oblivion.

NormanPride
11/18/2009, 05:03 PM
You can mod that game to look like anything. But I have no friggin clue where to go once I get out of the sewer... Ha!

badger
11/19/2009, 09:45 AM
We all played L4D2 and AC2 last night again. We got a third guy in on the L4D2 campaign, so we didn't fail as much... but for those of you that played the series before, there is one level that is NOTHING but witches every few feet... and then a tank... and then more witches. It was on easy mode and we failed.

Anyways, the guys should be getting a fourth guy in on the campaigns soon, so they won't have to worry about me being the fourth person, heh. :D

As for AC2, in the second hour the game takes a serious turn when you start waving swords around instead of fists... but fortunately, there's Leonardo around in Italy to help you out with his inventing ways :D

OUDoc
11/19/2009, 09:48 AM

Uncharted and Uncharted 2 are excellent as well.

Collier11
11/19/2009, 10:05 AM
Are any of these not 1st person by chance? I cant do the 1st person, they make me nauseaous

Fraggle145
11/19/2009, 10:07 AM
I've heard good things about Borderlands as well. RPG + FPS has always been fun for me, ever since the Planetside stuff. MAN that game was fun.

Buy it.

GottaHavePride
11/19/2009, 10:25 AM
Are any of these not 1st person by chance? I cant do the 1st person, they make me nauseaous

In Mass Effect the camera is behind and slightly above your character.

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2009, 10:31 AM

Dragon Age: Origins...Same company, same fantasy angle...more mature and much more dialogue. I'm about halfway through and so far it rules. Other than that...Try The Witcher, Oblivion, BG2, Fallout, Mass Effect, NWN and NWN2.

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2009, 10:33 AM

Dragon Age lets you go first person or over the shoulder, but the really smart way to play is with the top-down tactical view which allows for full on turn-based play like in the BG games and is similar to the choice offered in NWN2 and even Mass Effect if I remember right.

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2009, 10:37 AM
Oh...just noticed Jello was playing on a console...**** that. For RPGs you really oughtta play on PC...particularly with the games I mentioned. I hear Dragon Age sucks on consoles and as far as I know, so does Oblivion compared to PC. And FPS on consoles are basically built for faggy teens IMO. LEarn to use a keyboard and mouce ya dooshbag kids!

OU4LIFE
11/19/2009, 10:44 AM
I wish they'd come out with a new Counter-Strike type of FPS. I still play source.

love the FPS on the pc. Especially in winter when I don't leave teh casa anyway.

Partial Qualifier
11/19/2009, 10:50 AM
I wish they'd come out with a new Counter-Strike type of FPS.

you might like Borderlands. And it's hard to beat Quakelive in the bang-for-your-buck category (i.e., it's free)

badger
11/19/2009, 02:04 PM

L4D is first person, except for certain scenes - healing yourself, getting trapped by a zombie.

AC is 3rd person.

I am pretty sure Mass Effect is 3rd person also.

Fallout is 1st person, with few exceptions - you can target certain spots on your enemies at time, which will prompt a cutscene that shows you attacking your enemy as you specified, kind of like an RPG format.

NormanPride
11/19/2009, 02:21 PM
I wish they'd come out with a new Counter-Strike type of FPS. I still play source.

love the FPS on the pc. Especially in winter when I don't leave teh casa anyway.

ArmA 2 is supposed to be the ****. I have a friend that plays in a campaign. He gets online with hundreds of others and the simulate wars and stuff. Pretty damn sweet, really.

badger
11/20/2009, 12:48 PM
Day 3 of the new vidya. NP and a (fellow OU grad) buddy took over at our house for L4D2 (you can play online with two players and no more on one Xbox... which is more than a lot of games that don't offer split-screen these days).

They, too, struggled on easy mode. It may be weeks before "normal" is attempted again. There's just too many d@mn zombies compared to the last one... not to mentioned the new infected are a pain in the arse.

(btw, while the boys played L4D2, I checked out the new Blake Griffin article in ESPN mag. Check out the basketball board for links!)

I played AC2 for about a half hour after watching Poke Luck kick in against sucky Colorado (but wow were they funny to watch fumbling everywhere). Unlike the first one, you can use the mini-blade to attack against swords... and WOW is it fun to charge at a guard and just tackle-kill with that blade! It isn't just secretive anymore - it's a full-out killin' machine you control!

So anyway, I still recommend both games highly... as well as the Blake Griffin article. I would also recommend that the Pokes choke, but there aren't many of them on this board to take that advice ;)

the_ouskull
11/22/2009, 11:55 AM
I'm down for some L4D2 just about any time. My roommate and I both play, but the X-Box is a) his, and b) in the living room, so "any time" may require some talkin'-into from time to time.

P.M. me if you're ever down...

the_ouskull

badger
11/23/2009, 03:04 PM
I'm down for some L4D2 just about any time. My roommate and I both play, but the X-Box is a) his, and b) in the living room, so "any time" may require some talkin'-into from time to time.

P.M. me if you're ever down...

the_ouskull

You're a pretty cool poster, despite you signin' your name to every post :D

I'll PM you my Xbox Live account so you can add me.

NP and I had one of our most productive weekends ever, despite lots of vidya game playin. All of the leaves from our yard are gone and in bags, waiting for trash to carry away. The big display thingie (which would go nicely with an OU All Day Fathead against that crimson wall, eh NP?) got moved down the hallway to the main room, and we even have one of those programmable thermostats for added every efficiency!

I tribute this all to football season being over (sad face) and a healthy amount of vidya to motivate. L4D2 was atrocious on Saturday night. The server is waaaaaay too bogged down with new gamers all logging in at once right about now. The lag effectively had us TKing every two seconds (every player's character was all like "Don't shoot me!" over and over).

AC2, being a single, not-online game, was a lot easier. I know have both stabbie things for the hands, a really coll dagger that NP loves to watch the assassin get vicious with, and when I'm not jumping off tall buildings without haystacks to fall into (the controls are not forgiving), it's still tons of fun. Highly recommend for fans of the Prince of Persia series or the first AC.

Crucifax Autumn
11/23/2009, 03:10 PM
I can throw some mega flashy crowd control spells and have bedded 2 different babes in Dragon Age. :eek:

Yep...I'm about 15 years old sitting in the basement playing D&D with all my nerdy friends again when it comes to these CRPGs. :D

NormanPride
11/23/2009, 03:27 PM
In these [CRPGs] you speak of, you can have sex? With women?

Crucifax Autumn
11/23/2009, 03:32 PM
In Dragon Age you can...Even on the console versions.

The Witcher also featured a lot of sex.

One of the coolest things in Dragon Age is when you finish up with a big round of melee combat, your skin, armor, and weapons are all splattered with blood. The worst thing is they were far too realistic with the "medieval" time frame and gave everyone teeth that are almost as bad as Mack Brown.

Crucifax Autumn
11/23/2009, 03:34 PM
And actually in Dragon Age there is at least one opportunity to work a character into a threesome and there are at least 2 bisexual characters. Yep...It's "M for mature" for a reason!

GottaHavePride
11/23/2009, 05:14 PM
Annoyed at Fable 2 right now. Apparently it's a fairly buggy game - tends to hang a lot. Mine in particular locks up right before you get to beat the crap out of a major bad dude. Glad I waited so long to buy it and only spent $20.

jkjsooner
11/23/2009, 05:26 PM
Dragon Age: Origins...Same company, same fantasy angle...more mature and much more dialogue. I'm about halfway through and so far it rules. Other than that...Try The Witcher, Oblivion, BG2, Fallout, Mass Effect, NWN and NWN2.

From my understand, Dragon Age is closer to the original Baldur's Gate games (more turn based RPG than action based) than the console Dark Alliance games. Is that true? That's why I suggested Oblivion.

I've never played the turn based RPG's. How are they? It seems kind of tedious to me - especially if you're controlling a full party of players.

Oh, and Oblivion allows both 1st and 3rd person although the 3rd person is more close up than in the BGDA games. Most play it 1st person but I (like others) preferred 3rd person and allowing me to do both provided a good transition to playing it in 1st person.

GottaHavePride
11/23/2009, 05:39 PM
The only problem with Oblivion is that it's such a massive game - I mean, you can play for weeks and not even advance the "main" quest at all...

Crucifax Autumn
11/23/2009, 05:46 PM
It is definitely to your advantage to play in the turn based "pause, make attacks and cast spells, unpause" manner that the Baldur's Gate games featured, but it IS possible to play in real time. It also works a lot like the NWN games in that you can scroll from the top-down isometric view to an over the shoulder view similar to the 3rd person point of view in Oblivion.

As for the "tedium" of turn-based games it's a matter of taste. It plays much more like a table top RPG and allows for more "thinking" as opposed to button slamming, which I see as the only real weakness of Oblivion and the rest of the Elder Scrolls games. Dragon Age has enough compelling plot and dialogue and enough strategic battles to overcome the possibility of getting bored with micromanaging. Also, with a full party of characters, rather than creating tedium, it makes the game more playable since there is so much to consider tactically. You CAN avoid some of it as I said before by playing real time. Each character gradually gains "tactics slots" that you can preset to certain battle situations. Kinda like "if main character is attacked <then> attack nearest enemy...if below 50% health <then> take potion...etc.

I prefer the micromanagement myself, coming from a tabletop RPG background.

Crucifax Autumn
11/23/2009, 05:50 PM
The only problem with Oblivion is that it's such a massive game - I mean, you can play for weeks and not even advance the "main" quest at all...

This is all too true. Good thing it's so nice to look at or it would get old fast. It does make it a good value "playtime-wise" though.

Dragon Age isn't as open-ended as Oblivion, but you can get well over 100 hours of playtime in one run through...Maybe 60-70 if you rush, maybe pushing 120-130 if you really try to see and do everything and exhaust all the dialogue trees. It has, if I remember what I read correctly, over 100,000 spoken dialogue parts and that's even more amazing when you consider they didn't record the main character's lines.

bonkuba
11/23/2009, 10:03 PM
roflmao

Joust!!!!! Spent many $$$$

badger
6/29/2010, 09:13 AM
So I played Little Big Planet for the first time last night. Such a charming little game. Can't believe I haven't played it till now.

I also played Katamari Forever this weekend. When my katamaris weren't big enough, they now have a minigame where the king (actually the robo-king, because the real king is missing) destroys you and you have to avoid his flaming wrath.

GottaHavePride
6/29/2010, 12:18 PM
Rented Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 last week. #1 was cool, but I got bored with it pretty quickly because of the repetitive missions. Shifted to #2 and couldn't stop playing it. Finished the game and returned it. I'll probably go ahead and buy it sometime before #3 comes out.

badger
6/29/2010, 12:21 PM
I liked both games, but as far as gameplay, the second AC is definitely better. As far as storyline, I liked the first one better, because of the whole Holy Wars setting and introducing the concept of assassins and such.

The third one is going to be more Rome, but also introducing multiplayer modes that fit the game themes well. Looking forward to it.

OUMallen
6/29/2010, 12:21 PM
I also found AC1 to be boring. God of War III was terrific, and Red Dead Redemption is great as well.

Stitch Face
6/29/2010, 12:26 PM
My boy is now hooked on Mario Galaxy. We played through Mario 64 a year or two ago (he watched me, basically) but now he's big enough to do it himself and he's hooked.

dolemitesooner
6/29/2010, 01:01 PM

All my gaming buddy's are playing it Dave. Every podcast I listen to loves it. Sony guys, X box guys, all of them.

Ign gave Mario GALAXY 2 a perfect 10

I have played it for a few minutes and it made me wanna buy a wii.

Yes its great.

DO IT

dolemitesooner
6/29/2010, 01:05 PM
Games I am playing

Monster Hunter Freedom -PSP
Demon's souls- Ps3
3d dot game Heros - Ps3
Mod nation racers - Ps3

Just finished

Heavy Rain - PS3
Metal gear Solid 2 - PS2
God of war 2 - Ps2

Have purcahsed but have not played

God of war 3
Naughty Bear

Soon will be playing
Ncaa football 11 - Ps3
Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker - psp

NormanPride
6/29/2010, 01:05 PM
Finished the second Uncharted game a few days ago, and was thoroughly impressed. Fantastic game with only a few places where I had no idea what to do. Fighting was streamlined, and the pacing was good.

Mario Galaxy 2 is Mario Galaxy 1 with different planets. Yawn.

dolemitesooner
6/29/2010, 01:07 PM
Finished the second Uncharted game a few days ago, and was thoroughly impressed. Fantastic game with only a few places where I had no idea what to do. Fighting was streamlined, and the pacing was good.

Mario Galaxy 2 is Mario Galaxy 1 with different planets. Yawn.Have you played mario galaxy 2 any length of time?

badger
6/29/2010, 01:07 PM
NP and I sold our Wii a few years ago, but might get back into it eventually. Got a 360 and PS3 now.

Played a little bit of the 4-player Mario (New Super Mario Bros Wii, i think it was called). Kind of dumb to have the third and four player be generic toadstools.

Really, really looking forward to Portal 2, but that's not out till 2011. I hear both PS3's Move and 360's Natal/Kinect will be out this holiday. Not really sure I'd be interested in either.

Stitch Face
6/29/2010, 01:18 PM
Everyone raves about Mario Galaxy 2 so there must be something to it but from what little I've seen, yeah, it looks like a track pack for Galaxy 1.

Lott's Bandana
6/29/2010, 01:28 PM
Fallout 3 continues to amaze me after over a year. Good or Evil, you decide.

Because of this thread, I'm going to try Borderlands.

Well, if it is a PS3 option.

dolemitesooner
6/29/2010, 01:52 PM
Fallout 3 continues to amaze me after over a year. Good or Evil, you decide.

Because of this thread, I'm going to try Borderlands.

Well, if it is a PS3 option.
It is a Ps3 option. I have platinium trophy in the game and have 100% on all the DLC.

The game is a very good first peron shooter with rpg elements. Tons of weapons and variation too what you do with your character. There is also a bit of humor in the game.

That being said if you have to have story elemnets in a game there are hardly any. So move along. The point of the game is to get a quest go kill things guns, guns, xp and money as a reward. Wash rinse repeat.

badger
6/29/2010, 02:03 PM
NP's really looking forward to New Vegas. I loved the retro music in Fallout 3. Hope they have a good selection for New Vegas too

Crucifax Autumn
6/29/2010, 07:08 PM
My wife and daughter are hooked on Wii Mario. I've only played a little, but it does a great job of modernizing the classic games. I like that they stuck with the old 2d environment.

Stitch Face
7/1/2010, 02:41 PM
You know who really likes to play games? REPUBLICANS! With poor people's lives!!!

btk108
7/1/2010, 04:37 PM
You know who really likes to play games? REPUBLICANS! With poor people's lives!!!

Badger....you spoke too soon...1 down, 1 to go :D

GottaHavePride
7/1/2010, 05:45 PM
So, is Fallout 3 worth giving a shot?

Frozen Sooner
7/1/2010, 05:47 PM
Red Dead Redemption is pretty badass. Grand Theft Auto in a wild west setting? Yes, please.

GottaHavePride
7/1/2010, 05:56 PM
Hmmmm. I was never a fan of the GTA games, though.

Frozen Sooner
7/1/2010, 06:01 PM
Probably because you're some kind of commie freak.

HBick
7/1/2010, 07:21 PM
NP's really looking forward to New Vegas. I loved the retro music in Fallout 3. Hope they have a good selection for New Vegas too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-x-1fm2cq8 Trailer for New Vegas with Retro Music. This is by far my most anticipated game of the fall. Well September I guess.

But I had a 360 and sold that since I only really need one.

But as it looks now, I'll pick up NCAA 11, Madden 11 to play with the roommates, Fallout and I think I might give Mafia II a whirl

badger
7/1/2010, 07:26 PM
I'm probably gonna rent a few sports games this summer... the new Tiger game or the MLB game from EA.

Lott's Bandana
7/3/2010, 08:41 AM
So, is Fallout 3 worth giving a shot?

Yes. The storyline buildup is a bit tedious if it is your second or more time through (you can play good or evil character so doing it twice is definitely an option).

I just loved having a world to explore and tasks that adapt to which way you decide to go in that world, not just tasks that sit there until you get around to them.

OUthunder
7/3/2010, 08:50 AM

Super Mario Galaxy? My kids like it but it seems kind of dumb to me. So, that must mean it's pretty good. I prefer Super Mario Brothers 2. I like the Punchout game personally but don't have a lot of time to play these days. I wish the Wii would come out with a NCAA College football game. That would be sweet.

delhalew
7/3/2010, 11:38 AM
Red Dead Redemption is pretty badass. Grand Theft Auto in a wild west setting? Yes, please.

This is the one I want.

HBick
7/3/2010, 12:16 PM
This is the one I want.

I have it, it's fun. I beat it in like a week and haven't really played it since. Red Dead is great though, I like hunting grizzlie's, it's fun when like 4 or 5 chase you and you survive

I still need to finish the Ballad of Gay Tony on GTA4, maybe I'll finish it today since the rain is depressing me

Crucifax Autumn
7/3/2010, 05:50 PM
Super Mario Galaxy? My kids like it but it seems kind of dumb to me. So, that must mean it's pretty good. I prefer Super Mario Brothers 2. I like the Punchout game personally but don't have a lot of time to play these days. I wish the Wii would come out with a NCAA College football game. That would be sweet.

Huh? I play mine all the time.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/ncaafootball09/index.html

Unfortunately EA decided after that to give the Wii the same treatment they did the PC and not release the game on that system.

badger
7/16/2010, 12:11 PM

I told myself that I wasn't going to get a new game till I ran a 10-minute mile.

Well, hit 9:58 yesterday (which I know really, really sucks, but it's a milestone for me nonetheless) so I got RDR.

I've seen multiplayer. Anything I should know bout the game that I killed myself on the treadmill to get? :D

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2010, 12:29 PM
I told myself that I wasn't going to get a new game till I ran a 10-minute mile.

Well, hit 9:58 yesterday (which I know really, really sucks, but it's a milestone for me nonetheless) so I got RDR.

I've seen multiplayer. Anything I should know bout the game that I killed myself on the treadmill to get? :D

Yes. Bear packs suck.

badger
7/16/2010, 02:18 PM
mkay, kill da bears. Gotcha. I say the same thing during the NFL season, and not just cuz they're probably gonna cut Tommie and be a Sooner-free team soon ;)

OUTrumpet
7/16/2010, 04:18 PM
mkay, kill da bears. Gotcha. I say the same thing during the NFL season, and not just cuz they're probably gonna cut Tommie and be a Sooner-free team soon ;)

No. Not kill bears. Run from bear pack. On your horse.

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2010, 04:19 PM
No. Not kill bears. Run from bear pack. On your horse.

Yes. Many times.

Bear pack bad.

Oh, also, something that's cool: if you buy a horse, even if that particular horse dies you can use the title to get a new one.

Collier11
7/16/2010, 04:40 PM
Soon as I buy a PS3 I am getting Red Dead Redemption and UFC...probably this fall

badger
7/16/2010, 04:45 PM
Soon as I buy a PS3 I am getting Red Dead Redemption and UFC...probably this fall

Unless you are desperate wait till Black Friday. Even if you don't wanna get up at the crack of dawn, online deals abound at places like Amazon.com. Plus, if you're not in a crazy crowded area, places like Best Buy, Gamestop, ToysRUs and Target will be enticing you with deals of their own.

For example, Walmart had a deal last holiday season that if you bought a Xbox Arcade, you'd get a $100 gift card.

With Gamestop, Best Buy and Amazon, you got two free games with a PS3.

Collier11
7/16/2010, 04:57 PM
not desperate, I still play my ps2 and am fine with that, I dont get into video games like I used to but that is probably cus I am still playing a ps2 :D

tommieharris91
7/16/2010, 10:15 PM

Not this season.

tommieharris91
7/16/2010, 10:48 PM
BT, I reserved my copy of Starcraft II when it releases in like a week.

GottaHavePride
7/22/2010, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I just saw some stuff about StarCraft 2 - I'm now waiting for that one.

So I gave Fallout 3 a try - I'm not really a fan. It's like a post-apocalyptic Oblivion - the thing that kills both of them for me is the combat. In-game ammo is too damn hard to find, and when I'm out and all I have left is a knife or baseball bat I can never tell if I'm close enough to actually hit anything.

Plus - while I kind of like how open gameplay is - I'm one of those players that tries to finish every possible side quest and max out stats. It annoys me when some missions they throw at you early on require you to have certain skills maxed out to 90+ to open up all possible courses of action.

NormanPride
7/22/2010, 06:26 PM
Ammo hard to find? You're doing it wrong. Are you trying to use energy stuff early in the game? And there should be a way to complete just about everything at a lower level.

I'm not sold on Starcraft 2. The pricing hacked me off that I probably won't get it. I loved the first one, too...

GottaHavePride
7/22/2010, 06:55 PM
If you're thinking of the Collector's edition you're a silly person. So you get a flash drive loaded with the original Starcraft and expansions (worth $10) - the CE is $30 more than the game.

And I was mostly trying to use the 10mm stuff, but I'd find maybe 10 bullets here and there. I could complete something - like say when they send you to super duper mart - but to finish the bonus objective I need lockpicking up at 50+ to get a door open. And I know I can go back and get that later, but if the quest is already marked "completed" I don't get anything for it.

NormanPride
7/22/2010, 07:14 PM
Or you can hack the computer, which I think was easy. Either way, once you get out a bit you get tooons of stuff. I'd hike your lockpicking up as fast as you can. Then you can get just about everything. Don't worry about getting exp. I hit the level cap way before I got to the end.

And no, I just don't like that you have to buy three separate games to get the whole game. Ugh.

GottaHavePride
7/22/2010, 07:20 PM
Or you can hack the computer, which I think was easy. Either way, once you get out a bit you get tooons of stuff. I'd hike your lockpicking up as fast as you can. Then you can get just about everything. Don't worry about getting exp. I hit the level cap way before I got to the end.

And no, I just don't like that you have to buy three separate games to get the whole game. Ugh.

Oh that - yeah. Kind of wacky to ship it as just the human campaign without the other two.

Crucifax Autumn
7/22/2010, 07:23 PM
Piracy makes the price WAY more attractive to me.

NormanPride
7/22/2010, 07:28 PM
ZLsJyfN0ICU

GottaHavePride
7/22/2010, 07:32 PM
That's not my favorite clip from that show.

NSFW (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQp5l4-sfFA)

soonerboomer93
7/22/2010, 07:50 PM
DDO is free to play. I've been on that

Use my 360 to stream Netflix more then to game

badger
9/6/2010, 02:05 PM
Downloaded Dead Rising Case Zero from Xbox Live. If you tolerated the first one OK and just like running around killing zombies, this is the perfect little download for five bucks (400 M$ points).

The biggest annoyances in the first Dead Rising game were the completely helpless survivors begging you in whiny voices to save them from zombie hordes. Well, they changed that so they're less helpless and will actually fight zombies off themselves. Another annoyance was being overmatched and needing to level up to have a fighting chance... you are still screwed, but once you know what to do and play a bit more, you are less screwed.

GKeeper316
9/6/2010, 03:12 PM
What haoppened to Revan?

http://swtor.com/media/trailers/mysteries-knights-old-republic

badger
9/7/2010, 12:30 PM
NP is currently playing NCAA Football 2010. I love watching him recruit and coach some mid-major loser. Last year's attempt was Turner Gill's Beefalo... and I must say, he did a hell of a lot better with that team than Turner did with KU last Saturday :P

badger
9/13/2010, 02:45 PM
NCAA Football update: Don't buy it. Rent it if you really need your college football vidya fix, but don't buy. I've heard nothing but complaints from NP so far... and from never having played it, here are some of my own complaints:

1- On the Xbox Live dashboard, if NP has the disc in the Xbox, Tebow's screaming pic shows up on the TV.

2- Everytime NP starts the game up, or goes back to the menu screen, it's Tebow screaming. Again.

3- The box has Tebow screaming. This alone should tell you not to buy the game.

4- The game manual also has Tebow's screaming picture.

In conclusion, avoid the game. It has Tebow screaming in many places that YOU CANNOT ESCAPE SEEING.

Pricetag
9/13/2010, 10:17 PM
I'm enjoying NCAA 11. I play in an online dynasty with several friends, and this year, the online dynasties have a website where you can look at recaps of your games, rosters, stats, top 25 polls, and you can do your recruiting online, as well. You can even include highlights in your recaps and write up stories, if you want. It's fun for talking smack.

badger
9/20/2010, 02:08 PM
It's fun for talking smack.

A few years ago you could create your own signs, so in the midst of getting your arse handed to you on Heisman difficulty setting, the room would break out laughing because some crowd guy is holding up a sign that says "Your mom is a very manish woman."

And then, they allowed player taunts one year - and the only time I saw it, it looked like the player was doing shadow puppets. It was a glitch I think (think one-handed pac man mouth moving... it was like... that's a taunt?!) and more funny because of it.

Then, they had the stadium shaking from too much noise and the receiver routes frazzled. That was awesome too... and then they removed it.

grrrrr... wish they'd bring all three back.

Anyway, Playstation Move arrived this weekend. $99 for everything you need to get your PS3 to resemble a Wii.

Crucifax Autumn
9/20/2010, 02:10 PM
Anyway, Playstation Move arrived this weekend. $99 for everything you need to get your PS3 to resemble a Wii.

Better than looking like a wii, it also looks like your waving around some kinda magic light up dildo.

Collier11
9/20/2010, 02:46 PM
how many of those do you have nowadays CRU? :D

Crucifax Autumn
9/20/2010, 02:47 PM
One per hole.

SoonerStud615
9/20/2010, 04:35 PM
...And then, they allowed player taunts one year...

...Then, they had the stadium shaking from too much noise and the receiver routes frazzled. That was awesome too... and then they removed it...

grrrrr... wish they'd bring all three back.

Those two still exist. The shaking and receiver frazzling only happens with younger QBs in hostile environments and big situations though, so that might be why you haven't seen it. Taunts still can be done on the way to the endzone.

Pricetag
9/20/2010, 04:42 PM
A few years ago you could create your own signs, so in the midst of getting your arse handed to you on Heisman difficulty setting, the room would break out laughing because some crowd guy is holding up a sign that says "Your mom is a very manish woman."
I had one that said "White Dudes With Cornrows" because it seemed there were so many of them in the crowd scenes. The "Sorry Dad, I'm No Longer Enrolled Here" sign has reappeared this year, looking exactly like it did back on the PS2.

badger
9/22/2010, 01:55 PM
I am definitely gonna have to look out for Broyles-style endzone route taunts... that is, should NP ever pick of the game ever again because he is currently listening to Siamese talking on the most addicting game on PC ever:

http://www.blogcdn.com/news.bigdownload.com/media/2010/07/civilization-v-front-of-boxjuy27.jpg

He will be glued to the computer all night because of this :D

I just rented Tiger Woods PGA Golf, complete with PR-friendly cover!
http://img1.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/v2/productAssets/US/EN-US/en-US_Xbox360_Tiger_Woods_2011_FKF-00053/en-US111_Xbox360_Tiger_Woods_2011_FKF-00053.png
U-S-A! U-S... sorry, got caught up in the flag photo. I tried the demo for this (only usually watch others play sports games) and sucked horribly. Did you know you can control the ball spin through button mashing? Oh look, another bogey. Fudge. Well, if I suck at it, maybe the 360 will give me an achievement before it's sent back in the mail.

badger
9/24/2010, 11:21 AM
I suck at golf. I managed to get a few pars and even a birdie, but my control is all over the place and the announcers are annoying.

NP loves his new Civ 5 game. He played at Hiawatha of Iroquois last night. I think they pattern your background music based on which civilization you choose. I wonder if America is nothing but John Phillip Sousa music? :)

EDIT: Also the best part is the interaction with other leaders. They totally notice when you're stacking your military against their borders, or ganging up on a smaller nation, or doing something suspect. Instead of just being all like "your head would look good on a platter" like last time, you will have options like "just passing through!" or "DEAL WITH IT!"

Anyway, that's my new favorite part of the game from just casually watching NP play it :D

NormanPride
9/24/2010, 02:17 PM
What's that Elizabeth? You don't like my riflemen hanging around your hanging gardens? But that's what they're for, right?

Poor Catherine... U mad I got tons of Iroquois standing around waiting their turn with your capital?

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/052/812/original/Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

Mississippi Sooner
9/24/2010, 02:21 PM
Civilization. I remember wasting tons of late night hours with that game when the 3rd version came out. Hmmm. Just might have to check it out again.

As for golf, no. I've tried many and found that my video version of the game is only slightly better than my real version. I don't play video games to get frustrated. Plus, I can't wrap my virtual clubs around a tree.

badger
9/24/2010, 03:06 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/7/17/e5a330af-2e62-4e74-8238-d11d5188bb3e.gif
NP has a concert tonight, so I'll get to play it for the first time.

GKeeper316
9/27/2010, 02:37 PM
any world of darkness fans on here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1v3rONmizs

badger
9/28/2010, 03:34 PM
Apparently not. Sorry :(

On another sorry note, I have sworn off vidya purchases till I hit certain workout milestones. I got Red Dead Redemption for running a 10-minute mile on a treadmill, a feat that I think I can consistently hit now (and yes, I know that it isn't much of a feat at all when Olympic sprinters get the mile in under 4 consistently, hehe).

So, the game I have anticipated for so long, Dead Rising 2 (releases today!), will have to wait. I apparently had quite the potty mouth around the first zombie killin' experience, so I will have to just curse a bunch at football till I can hit either of my next milestones, which are either a 9:10 mile, or two miles in 20 minutes.<sigh> looks like I'll be taking up Civ 5 till I speed up a little :(

NormanPride
9/28/2010, 03:44 PM
any world of darkness fans on here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1v3rONmizs

Teh u-tubbs is broke here, but are you talking about Vampire the Masquerade?

Crucifax Autumn
9/28/2010, 04:32 PM
Same world and all, but this is a MMORPG.

If the game mechanics are better than the earlier games it could be cool.

GKeeper316
9/28/2010, 06:06 PM
Teh u-tubbs is broke here, but are you talking about Vampire the Masquerade?

yup... and the werewolves, too

badger
10/21/2010, 12:52 PM
So... Fallout New Vegas. NP loved Fallout 3, despite the glitches. They are already finding new ones in the new game:

ToKIkw3LIoQ

I don't care if there's bugs if the bugs are hilarious :)

Serge Ibaka
10/21/2010, 12:55 PM
Are there any FPS fans here?

I played MW2 with some buddies, and I really liked it. Contemplating buying an XBox finally (to play that as well as the rotation of sports-games that I enjoy).

What's the news with the upcoming Black Ops release? From the videos that I've seen, it just looks like a MW2 clone. Is it supposed to be better?

GKeeper316
10/21/2010, 01:37 PM
fps games stopped being fun after i played through the first doom on playstation for the 20th time...

badger
10/21/2010, 01:59 PM
Are there any FPS fans here?

I played MW2 with some buddies, and I really liked it. Contemplating buying an XBox finally (to play that as well as the rotation of sports-games that I enjoy).

What's the news with the upcoming Black Ops release? From the videos that I've seen, it just looks like a MW2 clone. Is it supposed to be better?

I am surprised you don't have an Xbox (360 of course, hehehe) if you like FPS so much. Xbox Live is nothing but Call of Duty fanatics, even if they're half your age.

Also, teh Halos :rolleyes:

Serge Ibaka
10/21/2010, 02:02 PM
I am surprised you don't have an Xbox (360 of course, hehehe) if you like FPS so much. Xbox Live is nothing but Call of Duty fanatics, even if they're half your age.

Also, teh Halos :rolleyes:

heh. I'm a poor college student!

Also, I'm cheap. I want to buy a good TV before I bother buying any console.

badger
10/21/2010, 02:35 PM
heh. I'm a poor college student!

Also, I'm cheap. I want to buy a good TV before I bother buying any console.

I hear ya... but if you ever take the console dive, go 360. NP and I have owned all three at some point, and it's like this:

1- Sold the Wii because it collected dust (we had it since launch day)

2- Bought 360 and play it all of the time.

3- Bought PS3 and... well, it plays Netflix and Blu-ray! (because it doesn't play games at our house ever)

badger
11/19/2010, 04:09 PM
NP and I were totally on Xbox Live last night watching Sooner basketball via ESPN. You all should check into that if you don't have premium subscriptions through SS.com or whatever.

Anyone see the new Assassin's Creed game? I am trying to hold out till Christmas. Just finished feather collecting in the second one. Might have to resort to banner collecting in the first one if I need to make it another month :(

SoonerJack
11/19/2010, 04:24 PM
so Badger y'all don't play any games on PS3?

NormanPride
11/19/2010, 04:46 PM
I loved the Uncharted series. But not many really great exclusives exist out there. And all my friends are on the Xbox.

I'm going to start investing in some old PS2 games to play on my PSP though. Good stuff.

badger
12/16/2010, 12:41 PM
So... time for a vidya update!

NP and I are always short on gift ideas for everyone else to give us (What do we want for Christmas... I don't know... um... peace on earth?) we have held off on purchasing the hottest holiday releases so we have something to ask Santa for. I love the AC series, but haven't played Brotherhood. NP loves the Fallout series, but hasn't played New Vegas.

But, have gotten to try a few others. NP got an early Christmas gift from our only other friend who owns a PS3 (yes, another reason you should get an Xbox 360), Modnation Racers. They are so cute! It's a Mario Kart clone and does a very good job of cloning it as far a fun gameplay goes... till you get stuck in a corner on the track and go from 1st to 12th in a few seconds.

We've also discovered two very awesome downloadable titles for Xbox Live - Pac Man Championship Edition (ever play Geometry Wars? It's flashy like that game, except with 50 billion monsters chasing you thorugh pac man mazes) and Super Meat Boy (Read the initials... yes, it's a platformer like another SMB game)

Finally, I'm still a Blockbuster online subscriber for vidya, and an August release just got made available by mail - Mafia 2. My recommendation level for it started high, then divebombed by its atrocious ending. It's an old timey GTA clone to start with, complete with 40s and 50s cars to steal and music hits on the radio and WW2 news updates... and then, you realize it's not so much a sandbox title as it is an excuse to use the F-bomb repeatedly (reportedly set a record for most profanity in a video game). Oh, and they had a deal with Playboy so you find 40s and 50s centerfolds throughout the game. Meh.

I recommend a rental of Mafia 2, definitely not a full price purchase, if for no other reason than easy achievements. Just play the game through, get done in five hours, and you have 600 cheevo points. Easy, straight forward. :P

badger
1/11/2011, 05:12 PM
<sigh> you guys talk less vidya with me than you do womens basketball :rolleyes:

In any event, we had a party of seven going on eight watching the MNC last night, which would have otherwise been a really crappy game. But, it was only NP and I at our house. the other five - from North Dakota, Virginia, Texas, and across the Arky River here in Tulsa - were all logged in via Xbox Live.

Try it out sometime if you haven't already - you can voice chat via Xbox, then just watch regular TV (or ESPN3 via Xbox).

The big games of the past month were two Christmas games - Assassins' Creed: Brotherhood (Just call it "*** Bro") for me, and Fallout New Vegas for NP. He had a lot more holiday time off than me, but we're still playing both. Tons of fun. Check em both out.

soonerinkaty
1/11/2011, 05:21 PM
So..who saw the badass trailers for ME3 and Elder Scrolls V?

Mississippi Sooner
1/11/2011, 05:27 PM
I'm currently on a 108 game winning streak with the Sooners on NCAA 11. I actually stopped playing that dynasty for a while and moved on to some lesser teams for a while because I thought "what's the challenge in this? Seeing if you can build up a mid-major into a national power would have to be more fun."

But then I went back to the Sooner dynasty, and now I've found a sick fascination with just how powerful you can make them. If you play the recruiting game right, and keep winning, of course, you keep adding more and more four and five star players. In the current season, I have five running backs that have an 89 overall rating or higher. I can plug in my reserves at any point of most any game and still win going away. The added benefit is that it has also cut into the other conference teams so badly that none of them have higher than a three star ranking now.

My wife will come into the room and see me leading Texas by 40 points in the third quarter and say, "where is the challenge in that?" I tell her it ain't about the challenge now, I just love watching Texas get stomped, even if it's on a video game.

2121Sooner
1/11/2011, 05:28 PM
BADGER JENKINS!!!!!

badger
1/11/2011, 05:40 PM
NP was in a dynasty with friends and was the only one that wasn't sucking at recruiting. He has all of his signees ready with weeks left, so he just called up major recruits to troll with them (he was in the SEC, so calling them up and comparing conferences made them dislike their top schools from other conferences more)

soonerinkaty
1/11/2011, 05:53 PM
Whats the trick to recruiting in NCAA11?

2121Sooner
1/11/2011, 05:57 PM
Give their daddy money....

badger
1/11/2011, 06:25 PM

It seems to be best to not go after everyone - don't fill up all of the slots that the game allows you to and then spend just 15 minutes with all of them. Instead, see what your team needs, use the max time allotted per recruit on each, and build up your top targets each week till they finally commit.

NP's thing is taking a crappy program (or just a made up one), and trying to build them up to OU levels. As such, with those programs, you are going to be lucky to land 3-stars and you'll mostly have 2-stars. He also said quality punters are crazy difficult to find.

You can't give daddy money in the game, but you can make crazy promises, like telling kids they'll be AA's by their junior year, win the Heisman, etc.

2121Sooner
1/11/2011, 06:53 PM
You can't give daddy money in the game, but you can make crazy promises, like telling kids they'll be AA's by their junior year, win the Heisman, etc.

I got the SEC version.

GottaHavePride
1/11/2011, 09:35 PM
I've been busy for a while.

FYI, the most fun I've had for the money recently is hands-down Lego Indiana Jones.

Laugh all you want.

My Opinion Matters
1/11/2011, 10:05 PM
The 6 year old loves Kirby's Epic Yarn. That's about all I can add to this.

Pricetag
1/11/2011, 11:23 PM
I'm in a dynasty with created schools with several friends, and it's been a real mixed bag. In four seasons, I got some four stars here and there, and a couple of five stars, but mostly threes.

Some positions, like kicker and punter and particuarly fullback, are nearly impossible to recruit. I have yet to sign a fullback. I've had to sign extra tight ends and convert them to fullbacks. One season, I was in dire need of middle linebackers, and I couldn't sign a single one.

I'm having my first great class in the fifth season. I have ten four star recruits committed, and several fives.

If you're not in a recruit's top five in the first week, it is very difficult to sign him, especially when you're going head to head with other users--you really need to be in the top three there to have a chance there.

What I started doing this year is to use the search tool to find all the recruits who have me at number one--these are the easiest guys to sign (and the ones who might give an instant commit in the early weeks), and even if you don't have a need, you can't turn down top-shelf talent if you're their top choice.

Like Badger says, I target around 15 guys. I rank them by interest level, and spend an hour on the top five, and 30 minutes on the rest of them. In the early weeks, I'll use one promise per week on the guys who I'm only spending 30 on, because they'll usually net you over 100 points, so sometimes you can get similar results to using 60 minutes for three weeks until you've used all the promises.

I always check to see how receptive recruits are to pitches that I'm B+ or higher on. Scheduling the visit as early as possible and knowing what pitches to select on their visit is critical.

If a guy I'm targeting signs with another school, I use the search tool to find another guy at his position who is still at ten or eight schools left--these are guys who you still have a shot to sign, even in the mid-to-late weeks of the season.

When post season recruiting come up, I check again to see who has me in the top three, so I don't miss any of the new guys who show up in the offseason.

I think running with real schools gives an advantage. A guy who wasn't in the dynasty the first season jumped in with 'Bama, and he's killing in recruiting.

Pricetag
1/11/2011, 11:24 PM
My boy got NBA Jam for the Wii for Christmas. It's still as fun to play as ever, and you can unlock players from the original 1994 roster who show up in their classic uniforms. Mark Price for three!

CowboyMRW
1/12/2011, 03:29 AM
Anyone play black ops on xbox live? That game is the bomb

badger
1/12/2011, 12:20 PM
Bawww, another one that buys a new CoD game every year :P

I really want to play NBA Jam, but I'm not sure it's on Xbox Live or PS network (or whatever they call their download/online service) yet.

There are some Wii games out there that look fun, but as I've probably already mentioned, we sold our Wii when it collected too much dust from non-use.

Sooner_Bob
1/12/2011, 12:24 PM
NBA Jam on my old PS2 was a very fun game to play with my girls.

They loved to dunk.

NormanPride
1/12/2011, 12:41 PM
Anyone play black ops on xbox live? That game is the bomb

Unless you're not a hacker, then you're going to be killed a lot by air-walking knife ninjas from 300 meters away.

soonerinkaty
1/12/2011, 12:51 PM
Black Ops is terrible. MW2 kicks the **** out of Black Ops. In Black Ops the maps are ridiculous and the game is generally not as boss as MW2.

badger
1/12/2011, 01:26 PM
The last CoD game I played was World at War, which just seemed to be a holdover for fans till Modern Warfare 2 was ready. I tried it a little, but because there were so many advanced players on every server out there, the best I could do online was plant mines around the flag, hide in a nearby bush, then wait for something to come capture the flag. The guys liked playing it OK, but haven't really touched it recently.

There is one game that NP needs to buy every year and I'm perfectly fine with it - NCAA Football. His friends from college (yes, the college we all love and support dearly - boomer!) all play it and if CoD was that one game, then I'd be fine with them doing that one instead.

But... as is the case right now, unless you're gonna be playing with your online buddies every night (or at least every week), not worth it.

CowboyMRW
1/12/2011, 01:45 PM
Bawww, another one that buys a new CoD game every year :P

I really want to play NBA Jam, but I'm not sure it's on Xbox Live or PS network (or whatever they call their download/online service) yet.

There are some Wii games out there that look fun, but as I've probably already mentioned, we sold our Wii when it collected too much dust from non-use.

They have NBA Jam for Xbox. It's pretty fun. Me and my roommates played it quite a bit when we got back up to Stillwater.

CowboyMRW
1/12/2011, 01:50 PM
MW2 was fun and at first I didn't really like BlackOps but the more I play online the better. Live has done a good job getting rid of the aiming mods recently and I haven't really come across any hackers. I like the maps a lot more than on MW2 and I really like the fact that you can't use warlord and put a noob tube or anything under the barrel on with sights. I still go back and play MW2 every now and then but there aren't many people that play on it and I expect the online lobby to get shutdown like they did with the first modern warfare once MW2 came out.

There are positives to both games. It just seems like there is a lot less corner camping and noob tubing on black ops so maybe that's why I like it so much more.

New maps come out Feb. 2nd btw.

Anyway if anyone wants to hit me up and play my gamertag is SwagAchilles20

CowboyMRW
1/12/2011, 02:10 PM
Did you like FO3:Vegas? I played if for awhile until I got Black Ops.

I bought the new medal of honor and had it for only like 2 days and I took it and traded it in for FO3.

CowboyMRW
1/12/2011, 02:11 PM
Homefront looks to be awesome. I'm looking forward to that game coming out

Fraggle145
2/25/2011, 02:27 AM
So who here does teh racing games?

Need for speed hot pursuit is pretty awesome. Never seen a multiplayer like it on a racing game.

As for black ops I like it more than MW2 just because its not as cracked out as MW2. Meaning everything isnt effing hyperspeed all the time.

HBick
2/25/2011, 04:36 AM
I've been playing NBA 2k11 since it came out back in August (gotta rep the der now that Perkins is on OKC's roster). And I rented and just finished Fallout New Vegas, disappointed overall, to much freezing and clipping. I think I'll try that new Bulletstorm game, but other than that I'm still trying to 3 star every level on Angry Birds

BudSooner
2/25/2011, 06:02 AM

Need for speed hot pursuit is pretty awesome. Never seen a multiplayer like it on a racing game.

As for black ops I like it more than MW2 just because its not as cracked out as MW2. Meaning everything isnt effing hyperspeed all the time.Racing nerd reporting for duty, I picked up Gran Turismo 5 before Christmas and DAMN is it addictive!
However i'm stuck at lvl 25 in A spec since Polyphony went full retard and lowered the XP for the seasonal races, B spec is abysmal since the AI drivers have 0 car control and my driver cannot race Nurburgring even in a 120hp '62 Nissan Skyline....the idiot.
Online play gets boring when you get in the room full of 12 yr olds driving the Red Bull X2010 F1 car.......you need the steering wheel for the and the GT cars since the controller is too awkward to steer with.

The auto save feature sucks, our apartment had a power surge while I was playing, it caused me to lose 40 cars including my fav.....the GT by Citroen racecar!!! :mad:

Btw Citroen actually is supposed to produce 6 of those cars at a cost of 1.8 mil a piece, what a badass looking car but sadly they will be powered by 750 hp Ford engines, not like the game versions electric motors at each wheel.

NormanPride
2/25/2011, 11:29 AM
I suck donkey butt at real racing games, but I love the more sci-fi ones like Wipeout and F-Zero. Mostly it's the music and the insane speeds you get up to. There was another one on the N64 I think that simulated breaking the sound barrier. That was fun.

Sooner_Bob
2/25/2011, 11:38 AM

As for black ops I like it more than MW2 just because its not as cracked out as MW2. Meaning everything isnt effing hyperspeed all the time.

Does Burnout Paradise count?

That game rawks.

badger
2/25/2011, 01:38 PM
NP got me Yakuza 3 for my birthday. I'm taking care of a bunch of kids at an orphanage on a beach, only to be interrupted occasionally with Japanese gangsters that want to fight for weird reasons. Very fun game.

Never finished Dead Rising 2, even though I was having fun with it. *** Bro (Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood) was fun on multiplayer and single player, but just stopped after awhile.

NP is still NCAAing it up with friends, recruiting, dynastying, etc.

Looking forward to trying that over-the-top WWE All Stars thing, looks like NBA Jam meets WWE. Sometimes, those games get so technical that they're no longer fun. I miss NFL Blitz, but haven't played Madden in awhile, so it might not suck anymore, no idea

Pricetag
2/25/2011, 01:48 PM
Looking forward to trying that over-the-top WWE All Stars thing, looks like NBA Jam meets WWE. Sometimes, those games get so technical that they're no longer fun.
Have you tried any of the Smackdown vs. Raw series? I've been playing a ton with my son lately. I think it has a pretty good blend of technicality without completely sacrificing user friendliness.

I love the roster WWE All Stars is featuring, but it is tough to look at the player models. The Rock looks decidedly caucasian in everything I've seen to this point. My son will probably want to get it, though.

badger
2/25/2011, 02:17 PM
I did SVR a few years ago and it was not a pick-up-and-play thing that I expected. I'd rather be able to smash buttons till something awesome happens like you do with Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, etc. than have to memorize button codes for every move.

jumperstop
2/25/2011, 02:41 PM
Racing nerd reporting for duty, I picked up Gran Turismo 5 before Christmas and DAMN is it addictive!
However i'm stuck at lvl 25 in A spec since Polyphony went full retard and lowered the XP for the seasonal races, B spec is abysmal since the AI drivers have 0 car control and my driver cannot race Nurburgring even in a 120hp '62 Nissan Skyline....the idiot.
Online play gets boring when you get in the room full of 12 yr olds driving the Red Bull X2010 F1 car.......you need the steering wheel for the and the GT cars since the controller is too awkward to steer with.

The auto save feature sucks, our apartment had a power surge while I was playing, it caused me to lose 40 cars including my fav.....the GT by Citroen racecar!!! :mad:

Btw Citroen actually is supposed to produce 6 of those cars at a cost of 1.8 mil a piece, what a badass looking car but sadly they will be powered by 750 hp Ford engines, not like the game versions electric motors at each wheel.

I have Forza 3 with the wheel and it's badass. You can play all 400 cars from the very begining of the game.

As for MW2 and BO, I played way too much of both. I got so good at MW2 I had to quit playing it was getting boring. I had easily 45,000+ kills. I stopped playing it right until BO came out then I picked it up again, and then switched to playing BO. I quit playing that too, but I didn't get into as much as MW2. I liked the single player, beating it on Veteran took FOREVER at some parts. I just feel the maps in BO give a little more options for flanking than the maps in MW2. So recently I started playing MW2, partially because my buddy was too cheap to buy BO and I wanted to play with him, but personally I'm a fan of the killstreaks more in MW2. I'll go plus 10 or 15 in BO, but in MW2 I basically own by like plus 15 or 20 every game.

Fraggle145
2/25/2011, 05:17 PM
Racing nerd reporting for duty, I picked up Gran Turismo 5 before Christmas and DAMN is it addictive!

So I havent checked out Gran Turismo yet, just getting back into racing games. This game though the multiplayer is great, because it goes towards unlocking new cars. But the best thing about it is that you get to be the cops and bust the people racing. And there are multiple modes, you can just race (sans cops) or you can go head to head, they even have one that you have to protect one racer from getting busted. Pretty cool.

Fraggle145
2/25/2011, 05:19 PM
Does Burnout Paradise count?

That game rawks.

So they teamed up with Vice games in this NFS this time. So when you crash etc... it does zoom in and show the devastation.

badger
4/19/2011, 11:59 AM
One of my birthday gifts from two months ago was Portal 2 on the Steam (PC version, since now Steam is on PS3 also). Looking forward to trying it, although the PC version doesn't come out for another few days. PS3's was released today.

I am also hearing good things about the new Mortal Kombat (it's about the 20th incarnation of it, yes). It seems Midway's bankruptcy and subsequent selling of the franchise was good for it. Midway's last attempt (which turned into a self-inflicted FATALITY, lololol) was the MK vs. DC Universe thing, which turned out to be an utter failure for many reasons. Let's just blame the "T for Teen" rating. :)

Currently playing Red Dead Redemption DLC's "Undead Nightmare," on Xbox 360, which I just never got around to when it came out. It is actually very worth playing if you like RDR. Check it out! :)

NP is toying with Civ 5 still, which I just didn't get into as much as Civ 4. I think it's because Spock's voice isn't popping up every few seconds this time that I don't like it as much. Civ Long and Prosper!

Pricetag
4/19/2011, 02:06 PM
Red Dead Redemption is one of those franchises that I'd definitely be playing if I had the time. As it is, my NCAA Football online dynasty and some SVR with my son has me in the red as far as videogame time goes.

My wife laughed at me the other day because I was talking with a friend about games that I have that I haven't devoted enough time to. It's true, though. I have games going all the way back to the PS2/Gamecube generation that I'd go back and really spend some time on if I had it.

Pricetag
1/4/2012, 02:58 PM
Has anyone played "VVVVVV"? I downloaded it to my 3DS on a whim, and man, is it fun.

It looks just like a Commodore 64 game--it's a platformer where instead of jumping, you push a button to reverse gravity and fall to the top/bottom of the screen.

You are captain Veridion, and your mission is to rescue the other five members of your crew (whose names all start with "V") after your spaceship has been trapped in an alternate dimension. You have to avoid spikes and bad guys while collecting "trinkets" along the way for bonuses.

It perfectly captures the atmosphere of those early '80s games where the programmers really didn't have much to work with, and they really had to make the story and the gameplay/fun sell the game. It has an awesome old school soundtrack, as well.

sf06P-_1lkU

stoops the eternal pimp
1/4/2012, 03:06 PM
currently playing wwe '12 on ps3...pretty good.

Pricetag
1/4/2012, 03:29 PM
Yep, my oldest son and I are playing that one now. I created the ring from NES Pro Wrestling using the custom arena feature. The things you can do with these games creating wrestlers, logos, signs, etc., just blow my mind.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/4/2012, 03:39 PM
yeah, the create a show thing is pretty allsome..I took mine back...Nitro on Monday, AWA on Friday

SoonerAtKU
1/4/2012, 03:53 PM
Let me know when I can make Starman, Kin Corn Karn, and the boring dude in the black trunks.

SoonerAtKU
1/4/2012, 03:56 PM
In all seriousness, I'd actually play a wrestling game that let me create an 8-bit Great Puma.

Pricetag
1/4/2012, 04:44 PM
That's the beauty part about the SVR/WWE series--you can share creations online. All the guys from Pro Wrestling are out there to download. I've downloaded them for the past three years now.

I was shocked that someone hadn't already created a VWA arena for them, so I created it myself and put it out there.

There are some very dedicated folks creating tons of good stuff. The really good ones nail the classic/missing wrestlers in both looks and move sets.

Petro-Sooner
1/4/2012, 06:22 PM
King Corn Karn. Man that brings back memories. That's the one I always used.

Pricetag
1/4/2012, 10:23 PM
Kin Corn Karn got the shaft on his special moves. At least he had the pile driver, though. A few of the guys had a special move mapped to down + A, so they didn't have a pile driver.

SoonerAtKU
1/5/2012, 09:53 AM
That reminds me of how I chose my skaters in Tony Hawk, at least the first edition where you couldn't choose special tricks. You had to have a special grind, and it should be the Up-Down or Down-Up guys. I think I broke that game. There was a line you could do on the school level where you start with a backflip and basically string a grind together across the whole level. You could get way upwards of 2.5 million points on one "trick". This was before you could link with manuals or reverts or any of the other stuff they added in the later games.

Pricetag
1/5/2012, 10:42 AM
Heh, that sounds like The Foundry level in THPS 3 where there were the two rails on opposing inclines that faced each other. You got started, and then just hopped back and forth as you would come back down in a perpetual motion grind. I never knew jack about skating, but that was a hella fun game. I probably couldn't do anything with it if I popped it in the PS2 now.

CowboyMRW
8/21/2012, 10:59 PM
I found a cool feature on Xbox Live. Watching a game on the ESPN app and then joining a party where you could talk with friends during the game. Just thought I would let some know, if you can't make a game.

Also, Black Ops 2 drops November 12th. Pretty stoked for it.

SicEmBaylor
8/21/2012, 11:01 PM
You console people make me lolz. Custom built gaming rigs are the only way to go.

Question to you all: WAYP?

I'm really into 'World of Tanks' at the moment.

8timechamps
8/22/2012, 02:53 PM
I play NCAA13 with my boy, and love that game. I suck at it, but it's still amazing to me how far the came has come.

I tried the whole Call of Duty thing, because it looked like a lot of fun, and sucked at it. Although, being called a "p*ssy" by 12 year olds did make me laugh.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/22/2012, 04:30 PM
Im playing all of the Metal Gear games right now.. in chronological order..So I'm playing
MGS 3
MGS Peace Walker
MG
MG2
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4