PDA

View Full Version : Does Owen Field Hold A Memory...

SunnySooner
11/17/2009, 10:58 PM
...of an event that has affected the rest of your life?? For me, I met my husband in the student section. I vaguely knew who he was thru an organization we were both in, but one day, I got to a game a little late, finally found a seat, and when I turned around, realized I was sitting directly in front of him. Well, I already thought he was cute, we started chatting, he asked me out...many years and 2 kids later, I still think of that day in Memorial Stadium when there was a turning point between us that affects me to this day. Anyone else?

setem
11/17/2009, 11:02 PM
I saw a guy and a girl making out last weekend. They were getting pretty heavy! I wish it was a girl and girl making it out....it never is a girl and girl!

JohnnyMack
11/17/2009, 11:18 PM
I had a three way with Stoop Troup and Dean in the mens bathroom under the west stands once.

btk108
11/17/2009, 11:19 PM
I had a three way with Stoop Troup and Dean in the mens bathroom under the west stands once.

:eek:

A Sooner in Texas
11/17/2009, 11:46 PM
That's a lovely memory, Sunny...sorry the thread got perved up. :rolleyes:

SunnySooner
11/18/2009, 12:38 AM
That's a lovely memory, Sunny...sorry the thread got perved up. :rolleyes:

I don't care, but it would be cool to see some real stories if they're out there!

OklaPony
11/18/2009, 08:38 AM
Lots of 'em. Probably the most vivid is the first pregame show in the band. Running out of the tunnels to about 70k or so screaming Sooner faithful is an absolute rush.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/18/2009, 08:46 AM
I got engaged on Owen Field in 2004...and there are pics to prove it.

badger
11/18/2009, 09:05 AM
That was awesome, Brian! I remember that like it was yesterday...

1890MilesToNorman
11/18/2009, 09:31 AM
I don't have any that changed my life, the game day I remember most is when Elway lit us up in the second half to overcome a huge Sooner lead to beat us. It's a sad memory and a good memory all the same. He was one of the great QB's of all time and I got to watch his magic in person once in my life.

What was the game you and hubby met at Sunny?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/18/2009, 09:37 AM
That was awesome, Brian! I remember that like it was yesterday...

It does, hard to believe it was 5 years ago! Should I post the pic?

SunnySooner
11/18/2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the nice stories y'all, I love this stuff, I'm such a girl!!!

PICS PICS PICS, please, I haven't seen that!

And 1890, it was Colorado, we lost but the next week I think was KU, won that one, and by the time OSUcks rolled around a month later, he'd already bought my engagement ring--didn't give it to me for a couple more months, though. Still can't believe my dad didn't try to shoot him.:P :D

And that's a cool story about Elway, sux we lost, but I bet that was something to watch.

Harry Beanbag
11/18/2009, 09:54 AM
They used to not lock up the stadium very well. Freshman year we sneaked in and had sex in the upper deck. It was awesome, but it didn't really affect me for the rest of my life.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/18/2009, 09:59 AM
edited

badger
11/18/2009, 10:06 AM
Ok, here it is...just don't let it end up on the Fark Board...:D

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv120/severewx007/n9604435_38306175_9243.jpg

Look at sax's avvie and you'll realize that this moment meant that every subsequent OU-Tech game would be the worst day in the year ;)

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/18/2009, 10:07 AM
Look at sax's avvie and you'll realize that this moment meant that every subsequent OU-Tech game would be the worst day in the year ;)

Only when we play in Lubbock! ;)HAHA! Although, she didn't seem to have such a good time at Owen Frield last year...wonder why?

Jacie
11/18/2009, 10:12 AM
I don't have any that changed my life, the game day I remember most is when Elway lit us up in the second half to overcome a huge Sooner lead to beat us. It's a sad memory and a good memory all the same. He was one of the great QB's of all time and I got to watch his magic in person once in my life.

What was the game you and hubby met at Sunny?

After that game I squeezed into The Interurban, it was SRO, and came face to face with this loaded-to-the-gills gentleman from California, who asked me why the whole restaurant was rocking back and forth.

badger
11/18/2009, 10:13 AM
Only when we play in Lubbock! ;)HAHA! Although, she didn't seem to have such a good time at Owen Frield last year...wonder why?

I bet it had something to do with this. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12#6780)

If Tech takes the early lead and they start playing that song, it was probably Mikey-mandated. He's probably been playing it all week in practice to remind them of how much they sucked last year and how much the OU crowd enjoyed it :rolleyes:

However, if OU takes the early lead on some O'Hara kicks, that same band also does this song.

(warning - language! nsfw)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qc3_joy5A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qc3_joy5A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OKLA21FAN
11/18/2009, 10:16 AM
They used to not lock up the stadium very well. Freshman year we sneaked in and had sex in the upper deck. It was awesome, but it didn't really affect me for the rest of my life.
at least you had a partner :pop:

Harry Beanbag
11/18/2009, 10:18 AM
at least you had a partner :pop:
Yep. Unfortunately, it wasn't JM, ST, or Dean. :( :)

1890MilesToNorman
11/18/2009, 10:30 AM
After that game I squeezed into The Interurban, it was SRO, and came face to face with this loaded-to-the-gills gentleman from California, who asked me why the whole restaurant was rocking back and forth.

I got pretty toasted that game too, it was cold with temps in the 30's, and rainy so I needed lots of bourbon for warmth. :D

SunnySooner
11/18/2009, 10:31 AM
Ok, here it is...just don't let it end up on the Fark Board...:D

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv120/severewx007/n9604435_38306175_9243.jpg

AWWWWWWW!!!! That's beautiful, she looks so HAPPY!!!! Congrats, what a great story for your family. Thanks for posting that!;)

NormanPride
11/18/2009, 11:32 AM
Unfortunately, baj confessed her love for me in the Sugar Bowl and not Owen Field. Otherwise that would be up there!

However, I still remember the first time I ran out of the tunnels in the Pride... I played every note I could, but my eyes were as wide as saucers and I bet I sounded like crap. :D

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/18/2009, 11:38 AM
Unfortunately, baj confessed her love for me in the Sugar Bowl and not Owen Field. Otherwise that would be up there!

However, I still remember the first time I ran out of the tunnels in the Pride... I played every note I could, but my eyes were as wide as saucers and I bet I sounded like crap. :D

I agree, running out of the tunnels is a feeling all it's own. Nothing can describe it and the sheer amazement you have doing it for the first time.

I also saw my first concert at Owen Field, The Rolling Stones with Sheryl Crow in 1997.

OKLA21FAN
11/18/2009, 11:54 AM
I bet I sounded like crap. :Dand this was different from the 20 or so other times? :pop:

C&CDean
11/18/2009, 12:07 PM
Nothing life changing, but I remember skipping frisbees off the fake turf, and one time diving for a frisbee and burning all the hide off my elbow and forearm. That was some rough/nasty stuff.

I've also ran the stairs on the west side hundreds of times. Them suckers get steeep.

C&CDean
11/18/2009, 12:08 PM
Oh and I remember Johnny Mack telling me my dick tasted salty.

OKLA21FAN
11/18/2009, 12:28 PM
not life changing, but bike racing on 'pneumonia downs' was a lot of fun

Howzit
11/18/2009, 12:29 PM
I knocked a guy out playing sandlot football on Owen field in the 70's, but he was a Norman High band geek so it didn't really count.

Okla-homey
11/18/2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the nice stories y'all, I love this stuff, I'm such a girl!!!

PICS PICS PICS, please, I haven't seen that!

And 1890, it was Colorado, we lost but the next week I think was KU, won that one, and by the time OSUcks rolled around a month later, he'd already bought my engagement ring--didn't give it to me for a couple more months, though. Still can't believe my dad didn't try to shoot him.:P :D

And that's a cool story about Elway, sux we lost, but I bet that was something to watch.

I left Oklahoma for college on the east coast in 1978. Then entered military service. Never returned for any period of time except to visit family at holidays.

Upon my retirement from the military and permanent return to Oklahoma in 2005, that first game of the 2005-06 season found me and my esposita in our seats. I gotta tell ya, when the Pride struck up Oklahoma! and that ginormous Okie flag was unrolled, I cried like a damn baby.

Fraggle145
11/18/2009, 02:59 PM
I remember having "a good time" with a "nice young lady" that I "met at a party." on the 50 yard line in the middle of the night in the summer time.

It was the last John Blake year so they still left it open at night, at least if you went through the practice field.

C&CDean
11/18/2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I wonder how much DNA was squirted all over that old astroturf...

AlbqSooner
11/18/2009, 08:42 PM
My then wife and I were at the Elway game. Section 16 (North End Zone). At halftime we scurried over to O'Connels and slogged a couple of beers. As we were walking back to the stadium we were about even with the South goal line when the 2nd half kicked off. As we emerged from the ramp in Section 16 to where we could see the field, Stanford was scoring their second TD of the half. Elway put on a clinic that day. Good thing we had serious ponchos, cuz the rain never let up.

TUSooner
11/18/2009, 09:07 PM
I saw a ton of games there in the 60s and 70s, but the best memory was in 2005, at the start of my Hurricane Katrina exile. My cousins walked us over to the field late one afternoon. My wife and daughters and I walked out onto the field. I looked up at the pressbox and over to the NW corner where I used to sit, and I was overwhelmed with joy at being home in Oklahoma.

Fraggle145
11/18/2009, 09:31 PM
I was there the last time the goalpoasts came down.