PDA

View Full Version : Observations on the bball team

Collier11
11/17/2009, 10:26 PM
Just got back from the UL Monroe game, so far this is what I see

TMG- Lightning quick, nice shot, a more athletic Quannas White and a big time passer
Tiny Gallon- A rebounding machine, will also probably be in foul trouble alot

Willie- Much more under control, scored an easy 24 tonight

Pledger- Very quick shot, smooth shooter

As far as the team goes, pretty good Def team, we will have big issues with bigger teams and rebounding.

Our half court offense stagnates at times and we had trouble with their press in the first half

sooner518
11/17/2009, 11:32 PM
I thought our rebounding was pretty poor tonight. It seemed that Tiny was often the only one rebounding while everyone else was running out to get a fastbreak started. More guys need to crash the boards or we are going to get killed with offensive boards

Collier11
11/17/2009, 11:35 PM
yep

bri
11/18/2009, 01:18 AM
Capel said during the postgame that they didn't expect ULM to run a diamond press. He also said depending on which Sooner team shows up at VCU Saturday, it could be a long day.

Collier11
11/18/2009, 01:52 AM
that game does scare me, atleast they dont have Maynor anymore

bri
11/18/2009, 08:00 AM
Agreed.

Still, part of me thinks a tough road loss early on might be good for such a young team. It might help convince them to focus and get their sh*t together before the schedule gets tougher.

stoopified
11/18/2009, 09:49 AM
It is early yet and there is stillmuch to learn about this team.I think one thing is you could see many different player combinations depending on the opposition.Tonight we only played 3 post players -Gallon,Wright,Fitzgerald.Fitzgerald only played 8 minutes and Allen did not play at all.Tiny had 7 boards in the first fewminutes and I recall tinking OMG he is going to have 20 by game end.These are young players who are going to be up and down,especially early in the year.Pledger found out tonight that it ain't always easy.

CobraKai
11/18/2009, 10:40 AM
Agreed.

Still, part of me thinks a tough road loss early on might be good for such a young team. It might help convince them to focus and get their sh*t together before the schedule gets tougher.

I agree that a tough road loss is not a bad thing for this team. I'm just hoping that loss happens at Gonzaga, not at VCU (minus Maynor). Watching Gonzaga last night I am not sure we will fare terribly well.

ouleaf
11/18/2009, 10:59 AM
I definitely like seeing us get to the free throw line as much as we have the past few games. We need to eliminate some of the Turnovers though, but that is to be expected with a young team.

NormanPride
11/18/2009, 11:00 AM
I think what I like about this team as opposed to other guard-heavy teams is the ability to score in multiple ways. We can hit the midrange stuff (and I think Capel will add more of it in later in the year) and we can get to the basket. That, and a tough attitude will keep us in games where we do not shoot well.

I think Fitz needed to play more, though...

Collier11
11/18/2009, 11:30 AM
Warren is def getting the star treatment from the refs this yr so far

toast
11/18/2009, 01:18 PM
I see the ceiling being pretty high for this team, but there will be a learning process involved. If they develop it could be a really fun March.

Collier11
11/18/2009, 01:23 PM
we will take our lumps and be one of those "dangerous" teams in march

stoopified
11/18/2009, 03:45 PM
While I hate to lose sometimes it IS awakeup call.We refocused 2 years ago after a home loss to S.F.Austin and last year after a road loss at Arkansas.In both cases I think we were a better team after the loss.If Capel can get the message across to this team about playing hard and competing, without an early loss I will be happy.However I understand that particularly with a young team it sometimes takes a slap in the face to gain focus.

badger
11/18/2009, 03:52 PM
Warren is def getting the star treatment from the refs this yr so far

Only a problem if it's the other team's stars :D:D:D

^^^truth^^^