PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Mangino

beer4me
11/17/2009, 01:13 PM
Radio reporting the defecation is hitting the fan and speculation that he is gonna be gone?

I missed the details due to answering the phones, what happened?

StoopTroup
11/17/2009, 01:14 PM
He got to big for his own shoes? :D

beer4me
11/17/2009, 01:15 PM
He got to big for his own shoes? :D

Or couldn't reach them :D

soonerlaw
11/17/2009, 01:18 PM
you know what its about, right? the BCS.

TXBOOMER
11/17/2009, 01:18 PM
I hope they fire him and we hire him (OC).

yermom
11/17/2009, 01:19 PM
if KU sacks him, they are doomed.

dude brought them from nothing to winning an Orange Bowl in six years

OKLA21FAN
11/17/2009, 01:22 PM
his weight? :pop:

OUDoc
11/17/2009, 01:23 PM
Supposedly a "players only" meeting concerning an incident between Mangino and a player.

KU's Perkins meets with football players to discuss concerns about Mangino
By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH
The Kansas City Star

LAWRENCE | Current Kansas football players met with KU athletic director Lew Perkins on Monday night to discuss concerns about KU coach Mark Mangino stemming from a recent incident involving Mangino and a player, a source told The Star.

Perkins confirmed through a statement released this morning that an internal review has started.

“It involves a personnel matter, and as a result, is confidential,” Perkins said in the statement. “It would be inappropriate for me to provide further information right now.”

The source said players at the meeting, at which Mangino was not present, were invited to bring forward information in front of a formal panel. The source said there is an organized group of former players’ parents ready to air their concerns about Mangino as well.

Mangino’s Jayhawks are in the midst of a disastrous stretch on the field, having lost five straight games after starting the season 5-0. KU must win against Texas or Missouri to become bowl eligible. Kansas was predicted by many to win its first outright Big 12 North title this year.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/1575397.html

badger
11/17/2009, 01:24 PM
I have heard that he has been quite the jerk, trying to get Kansas to take football as seriously as basketball. While it's gotten him better facilities, which means that KU might actually have a future in football that can attract top recruits and attract KU fans to a sport other than basketball, it has likely also alienated many.

However, they shouldn't fire the guy that brought them a near-undefeated season and put their program on the map and in national rankings and discussions, even if he is a jerk.

Fact: KU hasn't had football worth a d@mn since that guy in Brian's Song.

Fact: All programs have down years, and he's still going to get KU bowl-eligible with a win over Mizzou.

Fact: Orange Bowl.

Fact: Players in the NFL.

Fact: Teams now have to take KU seriously.

Keep Mangino... unless Notre Dame is looking to upgrade from second-biggest coach in college. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
11/17/2009, 01:24 PM
so, they are gonna have a bad season, so former player's parents are gonna complain now....

Did a Mustain play at KU?

freshchris05
11/17/2009, 01:28 PM
Everyone knows Mangino has a foul mouth, I'm sure it's stemming from him cussing at someone's little 6-5 300 pound son where feelings were hurt...

StoopTroup
11/17/2009, 01:28 PM
BTW....he's large enough to take over at Notre Dame IMO.

ndpruitt03
11/17/2009, 01:31 PM
I have heard that he has been quite the jerk, trying to get Kansas to take football as seriously as basketball. While it's gotten him better facilities, which means that KU might actually have a future in football that can attract top recruits and attract KU fans to a sport other than basketball, it has likely also alienated many.

However, they shouldn't fire the guy that brought them a near-undefeated season and put their program on the map and in national rankings and discussions, even if he is a jerk.

Fact: KU hasn't had football worth a d@mn since that guy in Brian's Song.

Fact: All programs have down years, and he's still going to get KU bowl-eligible with a win over Mizzou.

Fact: Orange Bowl.

Fact: Players in the NFL.

Fact: Teams now have to take KU seriously.

Keep Mangino... unless Notre Dame is looking to upgrade from second-biggest coach in college. ;)

Ever hear of John Riggins?

badger
11/17/2009, 01:32 PM

Forgive me, I was exaggerating a little. :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
11/17/2009, 01:33 PM

Yep....

Riggins attended and played college football at the University of Kansas for the Jayhawks, where he was an All-American and two-time All-Big Eight Conference first-team selection. Riggins led the Jayhawks to a Big Eight Conference championship win in 1968. The team then went to the 1969 Orange Bowl, which they lost to Pennsylvania State University, 15-14.

swardboy
11/17/2009, 01:35 PM
Winning at KU was the exception, not the rule, until Mangino showed up.

NormanPride
11/17/2009, 01:37 PM

Go back to bed, Nick.

beer4me
11/17/2009, 01:41 PM
Supposedly a "players only" meeting concerning an incident between Mangino and a player.

Perkins confirmed through a statement released this morning that an internal review has started.

“It involves a personnel matter, and as a result, is confidential,” Perkins said in the statement. “It would be inappropriate for me to provide further information right now.”

I have heard that he has been quite the jerk,

Everyone knows Mangino has a foul mouth, I'm sure it's stemming from him cussing at someone's little 6-5 300 pound son where feelings were hurt...

"It involves a personnel matter" does not sound like him just being a jerk or his foul mouth.

Many coaches are jerks and/or have foul a mouth.

Sounds fishy to me

Collier11
11/17/2009, 01:41 PM
Perkins has never liked him from what I hear, they would be idiots to fire him. KU hasnt been this good in decades

badger
11/17/2009, 01:44 PM
Let's put sarcasm aside and go with some real facts.

KU has appeared in 12 bowls, winning six of them. Four of the appearances were with Mangino as coach, where they won three of them, including the Orange.

KU has never been 11-0 in school history... until Mangino was coach.

When Kansas defeated UTEP 34-7, they had a 20-2 in their last 22 nonconference games since 2005. Yes, all under Mangino.

They had two first-team All Americans under Mangino, both in 2007. The last time they had a first-teamer before Mangino was in 1983.

Six of KU's 8 players currently in the NFL played under Mangino.

Mangino has a 47-41 record as KU's coach.

OUAlumni1990
11/17/2009, 01:45 PM
BTW....he's large enough to eat Notre Dame IMO.

FIFY :D

StoopTroup
11/17/2009, 01:45 PM
Nick is Riggins illegitimate.

Hot Rod
11/17/2009, 01:57 PM
Holy carp! This ISN'T a humorous thread. And here I had all these comments to make on him.

ndpruitt03
11/17/2009, 01:57 PM
Kansas can never get as good as they've been with Mangino. Getting rid of him is just as bad as when ISU got rid of Dan McCarney. But if the do get rid of him I wouldn't mind Mangino coming back to OU as the OC when Wilson takes a job somewhere.

badger
11/17/2009, 02:02 PM
I would hope that Mangino has the support of his players so that they would stand up for him in this private meeting. But, I don't know. He has embarrassed a few during his KU tenure, methinks

beer4me
11/17/2009, 02:12 PM
Abuse!!!!! among other things. NCAA investigating

Incident happened before the Colorado game says he lost the team at that time.

SteelClip49
11/17/2009, 02:13 PM
Mangino, a consensus national coach of the year winner will never be an assistant again unless it's in the NFL.

OUDoc
11/17/2009, 02:23 PM
I thought common knowledge was Mangino (+/- Schmitty) ran off all our O-line prospects several years ago?

Sooner04
11/17/2009, 02:30 PM
Forgive me, I was exaggerating a little. :rolleyes:
He does speak the truth. KU did go to the Orange Bowl in the late 60s and lost to Penn State. I'm fairly certain KU had 12 (maybe it was 13) men on the field for a very crucial defensive play and it ended up costing them the game.

I read about it somewhere, so my facts are probably a bit off. But that was their last great team before 2007.

boomermagic
11/17/2009, 02:32 PM
Let's put sarcasm aside and go with some real facts.

KU has appeared in 12 bowls, winning six of them. Four of the appearances were with Mangino as coach, where they won three of them, including the Orange.

KU has never been 11-0 in school history... until Mangino was coach.

When Kansas defeated UTEP 34-7, they had a 20-2 in their last 22 nonconference games since 2005. Yes, all under Mangino.

They had two first-team All Americans under Mangino, both in 2007. The last time they had a first-teamer before Mangino was in 1983.

Six of KU's 8 players currently in the NFL played under Mangino.

Mangino has a 47-41 record as KU's coach.

Mangino IS a very good coach and if they fire him they are IDIOTS.. Kansas has no football tradition and will start losing 9 games a season if he is fired.. They will not get a decent coach..

stoops the eternal pimp
11/17/2009, 02:36 PM
I'll go on record as saying I don't want him as an OC....thats right..

Collier11
11/17/2009, 02:39 PM
nor do I, and I remember all of those who bitched about Mangino, then Long, then Wilson, it never stops

yermom
11/17/2009, 02:42 PM
no one was sad to see him go after putting up 13 points on OSU at home

especially his daughter ;)

badger
11/17/2009, 02:43 PM
I agree with STEP and Colly - no Mangino back at OU, even if we all think he's a great coach... for KU.

I'm sure Stoops would reach out to him if Mark needed Bob's help, but... not sure if reaching out would involve a job offer.

Sasakwa
11/17/2009, 02:47 PM
How quickly KU got spoiled. Good grief, the dude makes you revelant, especially in the North. Besides, baskeball started and KU is #1 what do they care if the football team loses some games?

beer4me
11/17/2009, 02:48 PM
Mangino IS a very good coach and if they fire him they are IDIOTS.. Kansas has no football tradition and will start losing 9 games a season if he is fired.. They will not get a decent coach..

They have already lost 5 straight starting with the Colorado game which is where some incident that happened.

If he has lost the team it really don't matter their gonna lose that many anyway if he sticks around.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/17/2009, 02:59 PM
^^^

So what happened that he "lost" the team? I'm sorry, if they aren't playing well, they need their little arses kicked and motivated. Short of a Hayes punching a player through a helmet or a T. Bowden banging youe secretary who happens to be the duaghter of your biggest donor, I can't imagine anything that could lead to a coaches firing.

Collier11
11/17/2009, 03:11 PM
If he has "lost" the team then Perkins and Mangino should hold a meeting and ask who wants their scholly honored and who doesnt, then move on. Short of abuse, the players need to quit being babies

badger
11/17/2009, 03:17 PM
If he has "lost" the team then Perkins and Mangino should hold a meeting and ask who wants their scholly honored and who doesnt, then move on. Short of abuse, the players need to quit being babies

I think a lot of players under the loser head coach the preceeded Fightin' Mangina didn't like that Mark wanted things differently, but the whole reminder that they are on scholarship which can be revoked probably goes far.

Most KU players are players that other Big 12 schools passed on. I think quite a few are players from Oklahoma that got ignored by OSU and OU. If they lose their KU scholly, there's probably not any other Div. 1 programs with room for them.

I am sure Mark will get these guys back on track... he's done it before.

Scott D
11/17/2009, 03:23 PM
There have been issues with Mangino and players at KU in the past. Hell there was even a youtube incident I believe either last year or the year before.

That being said, I also join the bandwagon that says "May he never call another game as an offensive coordinator for the Oklahoma Sooners so long as he continues to draw a breath and his heart has a beat."

Collier11
11/17/2009, 03:24 PM
The point is, kids anymore want to be catered to and it gets old, im only 28 and I cant stand all the BS Sissy stuff you hear out of most athletes these days. Hell, if Bryant and some of the other coaches were around these days they would kill a kid

yermom
11/17/2009, 03:27 PM
They have already lost 5 straight starting with the Colorado game which is where some incident that happened.

If he has lost the team it really don't matter their gonna lose that many anyway if he sticks around.

when was the fight with the bball team?

delhalew
11/17/2009, 03:29 PM
The word from Baskin Robbins is that before the Colorado game there was some physical abuse to go along with Manginos standard brand of verbal abuse. It was at that time the team stopped playing for him.

Supposedly players are having long conversations with the NCAA.

This is from the anonimous father of a KU player.

It sounds like Mangino blew it.

badger
11/17/2009, 03:30 PM
Update: Mangino's staying mum.

Linky. (http://cjonline.com/sports/football/2009-11-17/mangino_mum_on_internal_review)

Prediction: Big loss to UT. Take a mulligan against Texas and just focus on getting bowl-eligible versus your rival Mizzouers.

Collier11
11/17/2009, 03:34 PM
Sounds like Mangino wants to throat punch Perkins

beer4me
11/17/2009, 03:36 PM
The word from Baskin Robbins is that before the Colorado game there was some physical abuse to go along with Manginos standard brand of verbal abuse. It was at that time the team stopped playing for him.

Yea I don't know fer sure what is going on but the bits and pieces I have heard from the father and what his son told him this is not going to end well.

There are some big problems which far transcend a foul mouth and being a jerk.

badger
11/17/2009, 03:37 PM
Sounds like Mangino wants to throat punch Perkins

It also sounds like the practice plan for preparing for the whorns includes a lot of wind sprints and withholding cold weather gear.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/17/2009, 04:06 PM

KU welcome to cellar dweller status again. You will never find sucess in football again. Who the hell would want to go there if you cry baby to the Admin or NCAA?

tommieharris91
11/17/2009, 04:10 PM
So what happened that he "lost" the team? I'm sorry, if they aren't playing well, they need their little arses kicked and motivated. Short of a Hayes punching a player through a helmet or a T. Bowden banging youe secretary who happens to be the duaghter of your biggest donor, I can't imagine anything that could lead to a coaches firing.

Can you choke one of your own players a la Bob Knight? Because that's what the sources I'm seeing are telling me.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/17/2009, 04:14 PM
Can you choke one of your own players a la Bob Knight? Because that's what the sources I'm seeing are telling me.

If that is the case and it was a real choke (not motivational play acting type of thing), then I would say that would fall in the Woody Hayes example I stated. When a person is threatened with bodily harm, that goes beyond motivation...

beer4me
11/17/2009, 04:14 PM
KU welcome to cellar dweller status again. You will never find sucess in football again. Who the hell would want to go there if you cry baby to the Admin or NCAA?

Hey dip why don't you wait until all the facts are out before you confirm to the world that you are clueless.

There is some serious crap going on up there and you want to blow it off as just players whinning.

If I had a son playing under a coach that was a tyrant I would pull him out and go to the NCAA myself....after a good *** kicking.

Collier11
11/17/2009, 04:15 PM
agreed, I hope isnt the case

btk108
11/17/2009, 04:17 PM
If I had a son playing under a coach that was a tyrant I would pull him out and go to the NCAA myself....after a good *** kicking.

Wear BIG shoes and plan on being there all day... :D

beer4me
11/17/2009, 04:19 PM
Wear BIG shoes and plan on being there all day... :D

OK point taken I might have to tie a 2x4 across my arse with a long rope tied to it so I could be pulled out safely :D :D :D :D

TheHumanAlphabet
11/17/2009, 04:20 PM
Hey dip why don't you wait until all the facts are out before you confirm to the world that you are clueless.

There is some serious crap going on up there and you want to blow it off as just players whinning.

Okay, your comment was uncalled for. TommieHarris's is the first post to come close to mentioning what happened. I bounded my comments as to actions inappropriate previously. From old school football days, people today are pretty spoiled as to coaches actions or not. What people find what Schnelly did while at OU inappropriate would be considered "good coaching" when I played football.

badger
11/17/2009, 04:20 PM

Remind me what happened with that - didn't Knight NOT get fired after choking, at least short term? The way I recall it is that he was put on a zero-tolerance policy after that incident... and then, after some mouthy hotshot said "What up, Knight?" or something like that, Coach Bobby flipped.

Perhaps that's what will happen here. Indy couldn't afford to get rid of a top coach either when Bobby had his issues, much like Kansas can't afford to get rid of their successful coach.

beer4me
11/17/2009, 04:27 PM
Okay, your comment was uncalled for. TommieHarris's is the first post to come close to mentioning what happened. I bounded my comments as to actions inappropriate previously. From old school football days, people today are pretty spoiled as to coaches actions or not. What people find what Schnelly did while at OU inappropriate would be considered "good coaching" when I played football.

Ok point taken. I have only heard bits and pieces but from what I have heard things are not so good.

I also know about the spoiled thing. When I wrestled I was called every name in the book and treated let's just say not so well.

(not to even mention all the salt tabs I was forced to take):D

When I went to boot camp in '73 I probably can't even post about on this forum :D

But it sounds like this is a BK kinda thing.

ouleaf
11/17/2009, 04:42 PM
"Who would steal 30 bag of lunches?"

badger
11/17/2009, 04:44 PM

And then your son would hate you for the rest of his life for ruining his entire football career.

These kids don't want to lose their scholarships. They don't want to be blacklisted. They don't want their playing career to end.

Mangino has tons of ties to other programs - word would spread quickly that your family was trouble making and then your kid wouldn't be able to play elsewhere unless he was AD.

Anyway, there's a lot to consider. I hope everything turns out all right for Mark. Love to win the Big 12, but for those oft chances that we aren't in the title game, some north team has to pwn the whorns.

beer4me
11/17/2009, 04:47 PM
And then your son would hate you for the rest of his life for ruining his entire football career.

These kids don't want to lose their scholarships. They don't want to be blacklisted. They don't want their playing career to end.

Mangino has tons of ties to other programs - word would spread quickly that your family was trouble making and then your kid wouldn't be able to play elsewhere unless he was AD.

Anyway, there's a lot to consider. I hope everything turns out all right for Mark. Love to win the Big 12, but for those oft chances that we aren't in the title game, some north team has to pwn the whorns.

W/E you know so much about my family

stoops the eternal pimp
11/17/2009, 04:48 PM
"Who would steal 30 bag of lunches?"

I'll tell ya who..Mark Mangino or that damn sasquatch!

badger
11/17/2009, 04:49 PM
W/E you know so much about my family

I'm using a hypothetical. Please don't take it as a personal example. :)

I just don't think these 18+ year olds would want their parents pulling them out of college, especially college football.

Scott D
11/17/2009, 04:49 PM

After the previous 'incident' I'm not surprised about this...at....all.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/17/2009, 04:57 PM

I kinda disagree with this statement..take the ultimate cry baby momma's boy who really didn't have any kind of argument...mitch mustain, who will be drafted without playing much(if any) in the NFL draft because he is an SC QB.

I think he really didn't pay much of a price nor did the other transfer....Williams..They opted out of Arky and ended up at USC...If the guys can play, another school will pick em up, regardless...In fact, if KU has any O-lineman looking for a home, I know a place they could go without much of a move!

cvsooner
11/17/2009, 04:58 PM
FIFY :D

And Mangino was, in college, a defensive back, if you can imagine that.

badger
11/17/2009, 05:00 PM
I kinda disagree with this statement..take the ultimate cry baby momma's boy who really didn't have any kind of argument...mitch mustain, who will be drafted without playing much(if any) in the NFL draft because he is an SC QB.

I think he really didn't pay much of a price nor did the other transfer....Williams..They opted out of Arky and ended up at USC...If the guys can play, another school will pick em up, regardless...In fact, if KU has any O-lineman looking for a home, I know a place they could go without much of a move!

That's true - SC took Mitch even though the mom was a headache... and if you're looking for headaches in dads, even Brett Romar found a home in I-AA and the NFL eventually... he's practice squaddin', right?

We'll see. I really hope this situation doesn't cost KU their bowl. I'd rather they be good than KSU with Snyder. :mad:

stoops the eternal pimp
11/17/2009, 05:08 PM
That's true - SC took Mitch even though the mom was a headache... and if you're looking for headaches in dads, even Brett Romar found a home in I-AA and the NFL eventually... he's practice squaddin', right?

We'll see. I really hope this situation doesn't cost KU their bowl. I'd rather they be good than KSU with Snyder. :mad:

Agreed..I prefer Kansas to be better,simply based off of fan bases..I could care less about the Kstate folks...I know not all are the same, but most of the ones I've run into aren't the best people in the world..

My problem with this scenario is if parents thought their kids was getting the beatdown, seems they would have voiced concerns while it was going on.....

beer4me
11/17/2009, 05:11 PM
Agreed..I prefer Kansas to be better,simply based off of fan bases..I could care less about the Kstate folks...I know not all are the same, but most of the ones I've run into aren't the best people in the world..

My problem with this scenario is if parents thought their kids was getting the beatdown, seems they would have voiced concerns while it was going on.....

That's still one question I would like answered also. If this was just a one time thingy or had it been going on.

Or had it been going on and just took this long for someone to spill the beans.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/17/2009, 05:15 PM
I believe the article said something about former players' parents....just doesn't make sense.....If this is stuff that happened a while back, why the wait?

I think this boils down to winning and losing...If KU was 10-0 right now, none of this would be going on

badger
11/17/2009, 05:16 PM

It's not about fanbases for me, it's all about Jason White's knees. After 2003, if they dropped back into their old mediocre ways and out of the Big 12, I would really care.

badger
11/17/2009, 05:18 PM
If KU was 10-0 right now, none of this would be going on

Durrrrr, I'm a Jayhawk and I'm new at this football thing, durr. If we start 5-0, doesn't it make sense that we'd continue winning 5 games in a row more to be 10-0, durrrrrr?

;)

TheHumanAlphabet
11/17/2009, 06:30 PM
(not to even mention all the salt tabs I was forced to take):D .

mmmmm...salt tabs. Line up and take 'em... Fond memories ;)

olevetonahill
11/17/2009, 06:54 PM
I'll tell ya who..Mark Mangino or that damn sasquatch!

Leave My Family out of this :mad:

sooner59
11/18/2009, 04:22 AM
All I heard was Mangino said some things the players didn't like, and he took one finger and jabbed it in the chest of a player who was goofing off in practice.

Sounds to me like its not Mangino's fault that Kansas is 5-5, its the immature and spoiled players' fault. He is p***ed that that they have slid like this and they are running to mommy for help. BOO HOO!!!

Play better! Don't be a p****! This will further your football career and win games. Mangino is trying to tell you but you are too much of a momma's boy to man up.

GEEZ! I remember when football players were men and not sensitive little pr****!

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2009, 06:06 AM
Careful. We still don't know what happened.

Crucifax Autumn
11/18/2009, 07:05 AM
This guy never hurt anyone!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/ulijon/Mangino.jpg

TexasLidig8r
11/18/2009, 09:15 AM
Word out of the athletic department at KU is that it is a combination of Mangino repeatedly saying "get in my belly" and him trying to eat a little freshman as a mid-afternoon snack.. that pushed things too far.

King Barry's Back
11/18/2009, 10:04 AM
So we've got a bunch of internet innuendo from posters with unnamed "sources" telling them about the Tyrant of Lawrence.

REPORTERS have unnamed sources. POSTERS have rumors.

I'll concede that I don't have all the (or any) facts, but I do have big respect for Mark Mangino, and I hope this goes his way.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/18/2009, 11:57 AM
I thought common knowledge was Mangino (+/- Schmitty) ran off all our O-line prospects several years ago?

it has been a decade so mayhaps you remember incorrectly. the mangino part of the saga was that he decided not to recruit any OL in 99 because there weren't any that were good enough. imagine us taking zero OL in a year now.

Breadburner
11/18/2009, 12:01 PM
He should have recieved a raise for this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAYpAzNB34

rawlingsHOH
11/18/2009, 12:01 PM
it has been a decade so mayhaps you remember incorrectly. the mangino part of the saga was that he decided not to recruit any OL in 99 because there weren't any that were good enough. imagine us taking zero OL in a year now.
Cost us a shot to play for a repeat in 01.

GottaHavePride
11/18/2009, 12:08 PM
There have been issues with Mangino and players at KU in the past. Hell there was even a youtube incident I believe either last year or the year before.

That being said, I also join the bandwagon that says "May he never call another game as an offensive coordinator for the Oklahoma Sooners so long as he continues to draw a breath and his heart has a beat."

ZOMBIE MANGINO FOR OC!

OUmillenium
11/18/2009, 12:24 PM

Wasn't Miami and OH St undefeated? How were we going to jump one of them? We had already lost to Nebraska.

Collier11
11/18/2009, 12:39 PM
Wasn't Miami and OH St undefeated? How were we going to jump one of them? We had already lost to Nebraska.

In 01 we woulda went in place of Neb had we not lost to osu

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/18/2009, 12:54 PM

eh, that is kind of a stretch. kempenich not coming back for his 6th year hurt and we had a rash of injuries. at one point we had 3 freshman playing on the OL including jamal brown and wes simms.

rawlingsHOH
11/18/2009, 12:54 PM

rawlingsHOH
11/18/2009, 12:58 PM
eh, that is kind of a stretch. kempenich not coming back for his 6th year hurt and we had a rash of injuries. at one point we had 3 freshman playing on the OL including jamal brown and wes simms.
And Jerod Fields!

If we had at least any semblence of an OL that year, we at LEAST beat Ok State, and that alone would have gotten us to Pasadena.

badger
11/18/2009, 01:06 PM
Has anybody heard anything new on this yet? Here (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/6840/manginos-old-school-methods-have-gotten-him-in-trouble) is ESPN's take. it's entitled: "Mangino's old-school methods have gotten him in trouble." I haven't read it yet, but I have an idea of what it will say :(

SF.com favorite Jason Whitlock (tee hee) wants Mangino fired (http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/1577294.html).

I will add links as I find them.

EDIT: Just read both of them and they are worth checking out. Whitlock equates Mangino's tough approach to his weight, so his firing would be a blessing in disguise for Mangino, he writes. The ESPN blog kind of re-iterates all of Mangino's past issues while head coach... like the BCS rant after the Texas loss a few years ago, or calling a player out for hotdogging in the endzone after a TD return.

Sooner04
11/18/2009, 01:09 PM
And Cliff Takawana.

Beating Colorado in Dallas would've been tough. Miami would've beaten us in Pasadena in the ugliest 17-6 game in the history of mankind. Our defense would've been warriors, but the 2001 Hurricanes were one of the best teams of the last 30 years.

JLEW1818
11/18/2009, 01:10 PM
And Cliff Takawana.

Beating Colorado in Dallas would've been tough. Miami would've beaten us in Pasadena in the ugliest 17-6 game in the history of mankind. Our defense would've been warriors, but the 2001 Hurricanes were one of the best teams of the last 30 years.

yep, i think they are the best "team" of the decade. (2001-02 canes)

lol McGahee, Portis, Gore .. all on the same team

check out this roster.. its just stupid

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/rosters/2001/mmi/

Collier11
11/18/2009, 01:12 PM
ive always thought that if we played Miami in 01 they wouldnt have scored more than 21 on us but we probably wouldnt have scored more than 10

Sooner04
11/18/2009, 01:16 PM
God, Butch Davis could recruit. These are the guys I recognize as NFL contributors (various degrees) from that 2001 roster.

Ken Dorsey
Willis McGahee
Andre Johnson
Najeh Davenport
Antrel Rolle
DJ Williams
Ed Reed
Sean Taylor
Clinton Portis
Phillip Buchanon
Frank Gore
Jonathan Vilma
Vince Wilfork
Bryant McKinnie
Kellen Winslow
Roscoe Parrish
Jeremy Shockey
William Joseph

JLEW1818
11/18/2009, 01:19 PM
Willis McGahee
Andre Johnson
Antrel Rolle
Edward Reed
Sean Taylor
Clinton Portis
Frank Gore
Jeremy Shockey
Bryant McKinnie
Phillip Buchanon
Mike Rumph

clearly the most talent ever, on a team

JLEW1818
11/18/2009, 01:20 PM
God, Butch Davis could recruit. These are the guys I recognize as NFL contributors (various degrees) from that 2001 roster.

Ken Dorsey
Willis McGahee
Andre Johnson
Najeh Davenport
Antrel Rolle
DJ Williams
Ed Reed
Sean Taylor
Clinton Portis
Phillip Buchanon
Frank Gore
Jonathan Vilma
Vince Wilfork
Bryant McKinnie
Kellen Winslow
Roscoe Parrish
Jeremy Shockey
William Joseph

yep, good work!

here is the 2001 draft class! (Johnson was still a Soph)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team

Sooner-N-KS
11/18/2009, 01:22 PM
LAWRENCE — Kansas football coach Mark Mangino poked senior linebacker Arist Wright in the chest during a Friday practice the day before the game at Colorado, sources told The Eagle on Tuesday evening, triggering an athletic department investigation of Mangino.

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/sports/jayhawks/story/1060429.html#ixzz0XEiOKmY5

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2009, 01:23 PM
Willis McGahee
Andre Johnson
Antrel Rolle
Edward Reed
Sean Taylor
Clinton Portis
Frank Gore
Jeremy Shockey
Bryant McKinnie
Phillip Buchanon
Mike Rumph

clearly the most talent ever, on a team

whooaa..hold on there sparky!

Collier11
11/18/2009, 01:28 PM
LAWRENCE — Kansas football coach Mark Mangino poked senior linebacker Arist Wright in the chest during a Friday practice the day before the game at Colorado, sources told The Eagle on Tuesday evening, triggering an athletic department investigation of Mangino.

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/sports/jayhawks/story/1060429.html#ixzz0XEiOKmY5

If that is seriously it, those players need to get their azzes beat for being D1 scholarship p***ies!

JLEW1818
11/18/2009, 01:29 PM
STEP, can u top the canes 2001 team?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2009, 01:35 PM
in the last 10 years....nope...but I wouldn't be ready to crown em all time yet.....

badger
11/18/2009, 01:35 PM
God, Butch Davis could recruit.

He's at UNC now, right? Have they hit on anyone there, or was the "U" the main reason Butch could recruit?

It's a legit question. I doubt Mack could recruit as well as he does if he wasn't at Texas, or Stoops could recruit as well if he wasn't at Oklahoma, and, say, Mack was at UTEP and Stoops was at Tulsa.

Collier11
11/18/2009, 01:36 PM
I think they were def the most talented of the decade and the team of the decade without a doubt, all time is hard to judge

Collier11
11/18/2009, 01:38 PM
He's at UNC now, right? Have they hit on anyone there, or was the "U" the main reason Butch could recruit?

It's a legit question. I doubt Mack could recruit as well as he does if he wasn't at Texas, or Stoops could recruit as well if he wasn't at Oklahoma, and, say, Mack was at UTEP and Stoops was at Tulsa.

So far this year they are #39 according to SCOUT but it is still early, last yr they finished #6.

I think it depends, if for some reason Stoops or Mack left now to go to a smaller school I have no doubt they could recruit big time, if they started their careers there maybe not

badger
I think they were def the most talented of the decade and the team of the decade without a doubt, all time is hard to judge

Nebraska will claim its 95 team was the greatest ever. If JW's knees could have just held out a bit longer, we might have pushed 01 Miami for greatest of the decade in 03.

I will now shed two tears, one for each ACL tear :(

delhalew
If we are talking about a poke in the chest, I would ask the kid if the problem might be that he left his sack at home when he left for college.

Collier11
11/18/2009, 01:41 PM
Nebraska will claim its 95 team was the greatest ever. If JW's knees could have just held out a bit longer, we might have pushed 01 Miami for greatest of the decade in 03.

I will now shed two tears, one for each ACL tear :(

I still say 95 Neb was the greatest ever, they beat the ranked teams on their schedule by some crazy number like 25 ppg or something like that.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2009, 01:42 PM
STEP, can u top the canes 2001 team?

Take a look at the 2000 roster...add to your list of the 2001 roster, Reggie Wayne and Santana Moss for 2000...

yermom
11/18/2009, 01:43 PM

"I'm really not going to be consumed by this," Mangino said. "It's not my nature. I do the consuming."

:eek:

badger
11/18/2009, 01:48 PM
back to the thread topic at hand, is this really all about getting poked in the chest?!

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/icon/cute/cute_21.gif

dear oh dear...

Scott D
11/18/2009, 01:49 PM
if a poke in the chest is in fact what triggered this then someone let Arist Wright know that he can go play at Texas Southern

yermom
11/18/2009, 01:51 PM
i'd guess that that is the main thing that can be documented and that there is a history of verbal abuse, at the minimum. but it still seems pretty weak. go play intramurals, brother.

haven't people said he ran off O-Linemen when he was here?

badger
11/18/2009, 01:56 PM
I imagine there's a much longer history of this "abuse" than just the poke in the chest.

I mean, Mangino probably poked EVERYONE in the chest at some point.

Want video evidence? But of course...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zmAYpAzNB34&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zmAYpAzNB34&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

First poke at about :22. I count nine total pokes. Such abuse, such abuse :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2009, 02:03 PM
Sorry, but no adult should allow another adult to poke them in the chest. I realize that coaching requires treatment that many would consider rougher than the usual, but chest-poking is a total affront.

OUDoc
11/18/2009, 02:03 PM
He's probably just tenderizing them.

Collier11
11/18/2009, 02:07 PM
I imagine there's a much longer history of this "abuse" than just the poke in the chest.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zmAYpAzNB34&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zmAYpAzNB34&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

First poke at about :22. I count nine total pokes. Such abuse, such abuse :rolleyes:

That is so far from abuse, that is a coach getting across to his player that his BS celebration cost his team 15yds

badger
11/18/2009, 02:17 PM
That is so far from abuse, that is a coach getting across to his player that his BS celebration cost his team 15yds

But... but... THE POKING! The VERBAL abuse! Fire him! Fire him for teaching his players right from wrong! Think of the (at least 18-year-old) children!

westbrooke
11/18/2009, 02:18 PM
If we are talking about a poke in the chest, I would ask the kid if the problem might be that he left his sack at home when he left for college.

^^^This^^^

Inappropriate or not, this is a ridiculous reason to axe the best coach in school history. Mangino does not equal Woody Hayes.

Scott D
11/18/2009, 02:18 PM
Sorry, but no adult should allow another adult to poke them in the chest. I realize that coaching requires treatment that many would consider rougher than the usual, but chest-poking is a total affront.

You have to be accountable for your play (poke chest) you, not the guy to your right or the guy to your left..but you (poke chest).

in that context it's not a bad thing.

apparently this would have been a non story if Mangino had just gone ahead and slugged an assistant instead of poking a player in the chest (likely while wearing pads)

OUDoc
11/18/2009, 02:37 PM
If he were texting and hit him with the car, it also would have been okay.

Howzit
11/18/2009, 02:42 PM

He's probably just tenderizing them.

Number 9 was also being marinated.

badger
11/18/2009, 02:45 PM
Let's not just laugh at the problem, guys - let's be part of the solution!

Mangino's chest poking ways have caught the ire of parents and players alike, so he needs a new, just-as-effective or more-than-previously-effective way of teaching players right from wrong.

Ideas! Post em now!

yermom
11/18/2009, 02:51 PM
Let's not just laugh at the problem, guys - let's be part of the solution!

Mangino's chest poking ways have caught the ire of parents and players alike, so he needs a new, just-as-effective or more-than-previously-effective way of teaching players right from wrong.

Ideas! Post em now!

maybe he should invest in one of these:

http://6.media.bustedtees.com/bustedtees/mf/5/c/bustedtees.82c269e5bad26e4d82802b5ceeeb3eb8.jpg

OUDoc
11/18/2009, 02:56 PM
The players would never leave his side.

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2009, 03:01 PM
in that context it's not a bad thing.

Agreed. But we need to at least consider the possibility that Mangino's chest-poking crossed the line.

Personally, I like Mangino. But he may have screwed up here and an apology may be forthcoming.

SoonerLB
11/18/2009, 03:01 PM
Here's an idea, the KU Athletic Dept. should go ahead and adopt the 'No Football Player Left Behind' plan, and if Coach Mangino has a problem with a slacker or balls-less individual on his team, then he can sit down and write a proper letter to said individual, and his mommy, requesting that this player try to act, practice, and play like an actual football player, please. And each letter should be accompanied by a boquet of pansies!

Howzit
11/18/2009, 03:09 PM
Every KU player should get a trophy.

olevetonahill
11/18/2009, 03:12 PM
Guess if a finger poke is to much then this would be outta the question :D
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0802/bitch-slap-bitch-slap-demotivational-poster-1202681530.jpg

ouwasp
11/18/2009, 03:18 PM
well, the finger-pointing thing may be the tip of the iceberg, but imo the poking is not that bigga deal. Just getting a DA's attention.

Maybe the KU staff should be sensitive enough to inquire beforehand if the players would rather have a chest poke or run stadium steps. Good grief.

badger
11/18/2009, 03:27 PM
All of these ideas are full of win. Keep em coming and I'll keep the spek coming. At the end of the day, we should have a poll on which alternative to poking Mangino should adopt.

EDIT: I should give at least one idea too. Have Mark issue these at the beginning of the year:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2s94zh4.jpg

boomermagic
11/18/2009, 03:45 PM
Here's an idea, the KU Athletic Dept. should go ahead and adopt the 'No Football Player Left Behind' plan, and if Coach Mangino has a problem with a slacker or balls-less individual on his team, then he can sit down and write a proper letter to said individual, and his mommy, requesting that this player try to act, practice, and play like an actual football player, please. And each letter should be accompanied by a boquet of pansies!

LOL !!!!!!!!:D :pop:

Scott D
11/18/2009, 04:30 PM
I think he should go to helmet slapping myself...but I'm a fan of increasing the pressure on these kids.

Monster Zero
11/18/2009, 04:52 PM
Guess if a finger poke is to much then this would be outta the question :D
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0802/bitch-slap-bitch-slap-demotivational-poster-1202681530.jpg

Just curiosity... who's the uh... slapee... yeah, that's it, the slapee in the picture?

Looks like she'd be cute with her attitude right.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/18/2009, 05:00 PM
I thought he CHOKED a freakin' player. Finger putting? Hell that is nothing and if they are scrutinizing that, then Mangino should leave, because KU OBVIOUSLY doesn't want to win another football game ever. Ditch the Losers!

And I got a finger for that KC sports writer that says Mangino should be let go for his weight...I think Mangino would have a HUGE lawsuit if that were the reason. I've got Bud Adams finger here for that sports writer...

badger
11/18/2009, 05:10 PM
I thought he CHOKED a freakin' player. Finger putting? Hell that is nothing and if they are scrutinizing that, then Mangino should leave, because KU OBVIOUSLY doesn't want to win another football game ever. Ditch the Losers!

For Mangino's health's sake, I hope he retires soon or at least enlists the help of dietitians... an army of them. How much you wanna bet they poke his chest at least once ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
11/18/2009, 05:13 PM
For Mangino's health's sake, I hope he retires soon or at least enlists the help of dietitians... an army of them. How much you wanna bet they poke his chest at least once ;)

Agree, for health's sake I wish he would lose weight. But as a reason to be fired? That is some crazy thinking and whatever he was smokin' must be good...

TheHumanAlphabet
11/18/2009, 05:14 PM
That AD if he is building a "case" to fire Mangino, should watch out, how'd that work out for ISU, Nebbish, TAMU or K-State???

badger
11/18/2009, 05:16 PM
Agree, for health's sake I wish he would lose weight. But as a reason to be fired? That is some crazy thinking and whatever he was smokin' must be good...

Winning cures all woes, especially chronic poking.

(insert joke here on how there's many terminal cases of that in Stillwater)

Beat Texas. Shock the world. Turn college football upside down, much like Memphis almost turned college basketball upside down last night (heh heh, against YOU!).

Beat Texas, and you'll have your players, coaches, fans, administrators and foam costume-wearing mascots all back on your side.

Win! Win! SCORE SCORE! SCORE!

westbrooke
11/18/2009, 05:21 PM
And I got a finger for that KC sports writer that says Mangino should be let go for his weight...I think Mangino would have a HUGE lawsuit if that were the reason. I've got Bud Adams finger here for that sports writer...

Jason Whitlock and "rational thought" haven't been acquainted in a long, long time.

Sooner Eclipse
11/18/2009, 06:41 PM
Agreed. But we need to at least consider the possibility that Mangino's chest-poking crossed the line.

Personally, I like Mangino. But he may have screwed up here and an apology may be forthcoming.

Please.:rolleyes:

Unless this young mans (now apparent) vagina resides in his chest, this is not over the line for a coach even if he's cussing like a drill sergeant while doing it. This AD has had it in for Mangino since he got here. He didn't hire Mangino and is said to have made private statements that he is embarrassed that Mangino represents KU due to his weight.

This is going to turn out badly for KU if they fire him.

beer4me
11/18/2009, 08:19 PM
Some good posts here above

If this is a finger poke to the chest then the pokee should spit the sugar tit out of his mouth and grow up for crying out loud

As for the weight I like MM and would like to see him around for years and for that reason wish he would get some help and take better care

And to the KU AD "HE WAS NOT TWIGGY WHEN YOU HIRED HIM SO SUCK OFF"

If it was anything more than the above then maybe its a different story.

King Barry's Back
11/18/2009, 10:41 PM
Winning cures all woes, especially chronic poking.

(insert joke here on how there's many terminal cases of that in Stillwater)

Beat Texas. Shock the world. Turn college football upside down, much like Memphis almost turned college basketball upside down last night (heh heh, against YOU!).

Beat Texas, and you'll have your players, coaches, fans, administrators and foam costume-wearing mascots all back on your side.

Win! Win! SCORE SCORE! SCORE!

Yeah, you are right, but it's darned hard enough to get a team up to beat the No 3 undefeated team in the land, w/o all these side distractions.

I just don't see how Mangino can get his team believing in him enough to pull off an upset in only two more days.

And with an axe hanging over his head, for "player mistreatment," it's gonna be hard for him to hold his team's loyalty enough to beat Mizzou and get them to a bowl.

wishbonesooner
11/18/2009, 11:13 PM
They'd be crazy to fire him. He got them to a BCS bowl. Good Lord what had they done before he get there?

John Kochtoston
11/18/2009, 11:47 PM
Has anybody heard anything new on this yet? Here (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/6840/manginos-old-school-methods-have-gotten-him-in-trouble) is ESPN's take. it's entitled: "Mangino's old-school methods have gotten him in trouble." I haven't read it yet, but I have an idea of what it will say :(

SF.com favorite Jason Whitlock (tee hee) wants Mangino fired (http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/1577294.html).

I will add links as I find them.

EDIT: Just read both of them and they are worth checking out. Whitlock equates Mangino's tough approach to his weight, so his firing would be a blessing in disguise for Mangino, he writes. The ESPN blog kind of re-iterates all of Mangino's past issues while head coach... like the BCS rant after the Texas loss a few years ago, or calling a player out for hotdogging in the endzone after a TD return.

Whitlock's article contains more garbage and more convoluted logic than Jenni Carlson's Bobby Reid/chicken column.

gaylordfan1
11/18/2009, 11:55 PM
I here Mangino just bought P90X. So he may still have his job.

gaylordfan1
11/18/2009, 11:56 PM
Hear.... I meant hear.

badger
11/19/2009, 09:20 AM
No more ideas for poking alternatives? Fiiiiiine, here's a few more:

http://danbryan.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/dunce_cap.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/5twio9.jpg

badger
11/19/2009, 09:30 AM
Here is an ESPN link to what some former players are saying about Mangino.

Linky. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4669621)

In a nutshell, it looks like Mangino likes to threaten to send players home to their homies (he apparently used "homies" a lot) and find personal ways to insult them.

This stuff sounds worse than finger poking, to be honest. It sounds like the kind of thing an opposing fan would yell at you during a game.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/19/2009, 10:43 AM
"Homies" sounds more like a whitey trying to talk "hood" to hiyase crew but he forshizzle ain't doin' it right, aight!

ashley
11/19/2009, 10:46 AM
the AD did not hire him and has been after him for the last two years.

Crimsontothecore
11/19/2009, 11:09 AM
Take this for what it's worth, but I happen to know the parents of a KU player very well and I've heard stories about Mangino. As recently as 3 weeks ago this parents exact words were that the players "hate" Mangino.
From what I was told, he gets downright personal and degrading when he criticizes players who aren't his pets. I know a lot of coaches have a hard-a** approach but apparently he crosses the line.
Contrary to what Mangino said in his press conference the other day, I think he has definitely lost the team.

Leroy Lizard
11/19/2009, 11:52 AM
"One day, [Mangino] said in front of the entire team, 'Are you going to be a lawyer or do you want to become an alcoholic like your Dad?' " Brown said.

If true, fire him.

yermom
11/19/2009, 11:59 AM
Take this for what it's worth, but I happen to know the parents of a KU player very well and I've heard stories about Mangino. As recently as 3 weeks ago this parents exact words were that the players "hate" Mangino.
From what I was told, he gets downright personal and degrading when he criticizes players who aren't his pets. I know a lot of coaches have a hard-a** approach but apparently he crosses the line.
Contrary to what Mangino said in his press conference the other day, I think he has definitely lost the team.

sounds like it. it's easier to take stuff when you are winning Orange Bowls...

Collier11
11/19/2009, 12:00 PM
They all loved him the last two years, I guess going 5-5 makes him a worse person?

badger
11/19/2009, 12:02 PM
Maybe Mangino and the team can grow from this. Perhaps this will allow him to take a step back and see the error in his ways and he can be more of a father figure to these guys instead of a guy who unites the team in hatred against him.

In any event, the more recent reports sound worse than some chest pokin'

Collier11
11/19/2009, 12:04 PM
Well if true it would be nice to see a reconciliation type story, unfortunately they will probably just fire him

badger
11/19/2009, 12:09 PM
Well if true it would be nice to see a reconciliation type story, unfortunately they will probably just fire him

I know all of this makes Mangino out to be a bad person, but I don't think any of these things are fire-able offenses.

They are probably interviewing as many people as possible, including former players, to try to find something that is fire-able.

Chest poking? Not fire-able.

Being fat? Not fire-able.

Insulting player's families and friends? Really mean and cold-hearted, but not fire-able.

They need some proof of actual assault.

yermom
11/19/2009, 12:12 PM
all they have to do to fire him is pay him off, right?

it sounds like the AD has it out for him anyway. i guess they are just trying to save $$$ at this point

badger
11/19/2009, 12:30 PM
Ja, I'd just LOVE to listen into the conversation that the AD has with donors to foot the bill...

KU AD: We'd like to buyout Mangino.
KU donor: Is he the reason our basketball team nearly lost to Memphis?
AD: Um, actually, he's our football coach.
Donor: FOOTBALL? Aren't they actually winning a few games more than they used to?
AD: Ummm....
Donor: I went to the Orange Bowl a few years ago and I'll admit, I watched basketball during most of the trip, but hey, our Jayhawks were actually going to Florida!
AD: He's the reason we nearly lost to Memphis.
Donor: Here's $5 million. Buyout his arse.

Leroy Lizard
11/19/2009, 08:08 PM
They need some proof of actual assault.

They can fire him for losing five games if they wish.

ashley
11/19/2009, 08:34 PM
Right or wrong, he is gone because of recruiting.

badger
11/19/2009, 09:09 PM
The latest, Mangino explains himself. Click here for the ESPN article. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4672600)

PLaw
11/19/2009, 09:24 PM
Sounds like he has recruited a bunch of wussies that need to man-up.

BOOMER

Leroy Lizard
11/19/2009, 09:41 PM
That's easy to say when you're not the one going through it.

olevetonahill
11/19/2009, 10:41 PM
Dont sound Like any of em would have made it thru Basic Training Back in the 60s :rolleyes:

Sooner Eclipse
11/19/2009, 11:10 PM
Buncha F*****G P*****S

royalfan5
11/19/2009, 11:17 PM
I think the moral of this story is you can be an ******* only as long as you win. Mangino has led a Bill Callahan type collapse this season. Even Dan Hawkins doesn't lose 5 conference games in a row, let alone 5 in a row with the best QB and WR in your programs history. If the KU players quit on him, he has nowhere to place the blame but on himself.

Sooner Eclipse
11/19/2009, 11:36 PM
KC news channel now reporting that the investigation is now turning towards looking at Perkins and his actively undermining the coach.

sooner59
11/20/2009, 12:33 AM
If true, some of the stuff he said was pretty rough, but its not a sport for the weak-minded. I would have been p***ed off, but I could have handled it. And I would never quit on a coach, because that would mean I quit on my team. And when you are busting your *** along with the guy next to you week in and week out, you do it for yourself and you do it for your teammates. I would rather be beaten with a brick stick than be a p**** and quit.

btk108
11/20/2009, 12:37 AM
" Are you crying? There's no crying in football!"

sooner59
11/20/2009, 12:41 AM
" Are you crying? There's no crying in football!"

Imagine Mangino poking the guy in the chest while reciting this....

It makes me miss Jabba the Mangino even more.

olevetonahill
11/20/2009, 12:54 AM
Hey I just found the Most recent Team pic of the Jayhawks

http://www.sallyminker.com/art/2-d/images/grapes-print.jpg

btk108
11/20/2009, 12:56 AM
:D

olevetonahill
11/20/2009, 01:00 AM
Mark Mangino has announced New Mouth guards Have been purchased for the Team

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4f-4XQR8TBA/Sm3pEvG751I/AAAAAAAAB_0/fz0ZUAc1bG4/s400/organic-pacifiers_69.jpg

Stitch Face
11/20/2009, 01:16 AM
no one was sad to see him go after putting up 13 points on OSU at home

especially his daughter ;)

He may never get another head job after this.

11/20/2009, 02:14 AM
For those of you old enough to remember, he was a major part of the return of the Sooner Machine! He has worked miracles at K.U. I wish him nothing but well. He is a great football mind and I think he's earned our respect.

sooner59
11/20/2009, 04:03 AM
For those of you old enough to remember, he was a major part of the return of the Sooner Machine! He has worked miracles at K.U. I wish him nothing but well. He is a great football mind and I think he's earned our respect.

This ^.

Crucifax Autumn
11/20/2009, 04:43 AM

As if there's any women who can wedge their way up under his belly to do that anyway.

sooner59
11/20/2009, 04:45 AM

Hell, if worse came to worse, we would hire him back. I have no doubt, if he needed a job badly, we would take him back in some way.

Breadburner
11/20/2009, 09:16 AM
It's obvious they want to get rid of him without having to pay him whats due on the rest of his contract......

badger
11/20/2009, 09:48 AM
I really, really hope some current or former player steps up to say his support of what Mangino is doing at KU soon. All that's out there right now is the negativity and Mangino's shot quip on a local radio station.

Collier11
11/20/2009, 09:59 AM
Mangino begins defending himself

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4672600

Collier11
11/20/2009, 10:01 AM
That's easy to say when you're not the one going through it.

You dont even know what they went thru, to most of us they seem like a bunch of babies. If it comes out that he legitamately abused one of them then that is one thing but I dont see it yet

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2009, 10:01 AM
Mangino begins defeding himself

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4672600

I don't no what defeding is, but it sounds gross

badger
11/20/2009, 10:02 AM
As it turns out, a few former players have spoken out in favor of Mangino - NFL players. Imagine that.

Link here. (http://cjonline.com/sports/football/2009-11-19/former_players_split_on_mangino)

"He has never said anything that I haven't heard any other coach say... You leave high school, you're a grown man. You should be able to handle that kind of coaching."

"I think they should really look into it... I personally like Mangino. My feeling is, I would like to see him stay, but they have to do what they have to do. That's their decision."

"I feel like I got ahead and got a little of my work ethic from being around coach Mangino...That really helped me get to the next level."

"I really hate it for coach Mangino...I have the utmost respect for the man. Here's a man that's taken a football program that was totally in shambles, and my last year we had the Orange Bowl win. Here's a guy took chance on me. I had two offers coming out of high school and it was Tulsa and Kansas.

"Coach Mangino had to come in as the head coach and take a disciplinary approach to everything. You're talking about guys that are 18, 19, 20, 21 years old. If you don't lay the law down, they're gonna take advantage of you."

Both of these guys were apparently around during part of the former regime. Perhaps these new guys don't realize how much Kansas used to lose and how bad practices and games used to be. Maybe they're like recent Sooner fans that started cheering for OU after Stoops came and don't realize how bad the program used to be?

I am one of these recent Sooner fans, but I had a bad football team in high school, so I appreciate seeing wins whether I see 8 or 14 of them in a season... but I can't picture OU as a losing football team, because I've never seen it as one. Maybe that Orange Bowl spoiled a few of these players?

Collier11
11/20/2009, 10:06 AM
I don't no what defeding is, but it sounds gross

Dont make me defede all over you

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2009, 10:18 AM
I just defeded in the bathroom

Collier11
11/20/2009, 10:33 AM
I just defeded down my leg, warm but unnecessary

olevetonahill
11/20/2009, 11:16 AM
I just defeded in the bathroom

I just defeded down my leg, warm but unnecessary

You two Make me want to Just defeded :mad:

Scott D
11/20/2009, 11:42 AM
This situation is going to end in one of two ways. Either Mangino will be fired, or Perkins will be fired. The question is which one makes them more money.

Collier11
11/20/2009, 11:42 AM
Just go for it man

olevetonahill
11/20/2009, 11:54 AM
This situation is going to end in one of two ways. Either Mangino will be fired, or Perkins will be fired. The question is which one makes them more money.

From what Little Ive seriously read and heard about this
I think it will the Later.

Sounds to me like this Perkins fool has a Big ole hard on for MM
The players that spoken seem about equally devided on Mangino. The Ones who are Bitchin the loudest seem to be a bunch of pantywaists

SoonerAtKU
11/20/2009, 12:02 PM
People don't really like Perkins in Lawrence. He's gotten into it with both Self and Mangino, if I recall. It's been a while since I've been back, but...

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2009, 12:14 PM
yeah, it seems ive heard some other dirt on perkins about dealing with coaches

badger
11/20/2009, 12:23 PM
People don't really like Perkins in Lawrence. He's gotten into it with both Self and Mangino, if I recall. It's been a while since I've been back, but...

Mangino brought KU an Orange Bowl and Self brought KU a national championship.

Mangino brought KU their first Orange Bowl victory and their first Orange Bowl appearance since 1968 (the other being in 1947, which they also lost).

Self brought KU basketball its first title since 1988 (grrrrrrrrrrrr). Like Orange Bowls, KU basketball has only had three.

So, in a nutshell, KU has only had the type of success that Mangino and Self brought their respective programs THREE times throughout their school history.

So... if there's anybody to get rid of, get rid of Perkins.

Piware
11/20/2009, 01:29 PM
Some folks have no idea how to handle authority and Perkins sounds like one of those. His best bet would be to STFU and let 2 of the best coaches in the history of the university run their programs.

I know Mangingo has a mouth on him (both literally and figuratively) but somehow I have trouble imagining him physically abusing one of the players.
Chest poke? They have got to be kidding? My brother played for a coach in HS whose favorite tactic was to grab a kid by the facemask and try to twist his head off.

Give MM one of those big foam fingers and let him apply it liberally over the head of the offending player.

TJKDone
11/20/2009, 02:56 PM
IMO, Mangino is gone.

Hook'em

Collier11
11/20/2009, 03:37 PM
Got this off of the St.Louis Newspaper site

According to reports on 810 WHB in Kansas City, and 92.7 in Salina, sources close to the KU football program state that KU will hold a press conference at 1:00 pm tomorrow announcing that Mark Mangino will be released, and naming Clint Bowen as interim head coach.

Interviews earlier today on WHB with Joques Crawford and Marcus Hereford indicated that verbal abuse from Coach Mangino included references to dead family members, alcohol abuse by parents, and gang-related violence, on front of other players. At least one player reported that he went to Coach Mangino with a personal problem, only to have that admission 'thrown in his face in front of the whole team' at a later practice.

As of right now, there is no official word from KU to confirm that Mark Mangino will be released.

Collier11
11/20/2009, 03:39 PM
Dbl post

badger
11/20/2009, 04:56 PM
Colly - Perkins came out and said those reports are false. Link (http://www.fox4kc.com/wdaf-mangino-not-fired-on-friday-112009,0,1461354.story)

The official statement from KU head honchos is as follows:

“The notion that the university is conducting a review of Lew Perkins is false and completely unfounded. I am confident in the athletics director and his management team’s ability to administer our athletics program in the highly capable and professional manner for which they are known. The review of the football program is consistent with the process outlined in Coach Mark Mangino’s contract. I encourage everyone to wait until this process is completed before drawing any conclusions.”

Link here. (http://www.wibw.com/sports/headlines/70649407.html)

What an absolute mess. Even if the line against KU is 100, take the over.

olevetonahill
11/20/2009, 05:09 PM
The line settled at +27.5 KU
Im takin the Jaybirds to Cover
I think saxet will be lookin ahead and KU will Play hard

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2009, 06:23 PM
You dont even know what they went thru,

Exactly, and neither do you. We don't know what happened, but if players are this upset Mangino may have stepped over the line.

My brother played for a coach in HS whose favorite tactic was to grab a kid by the facemask and try to twist his head off.

Lou Holtz did this once, and spent the rest of the night apologizing. Totally disgraceful.

Some folks have no idea how to handle authority and Perkins sounds like one of those.

Interesting how Mangino cannot be expected to handle Perkins' attacks, but we all come to his defense when he hands his own players crap. If anything, Mangino is the one that sounds like he has trouble handling authority. (But that is only based on what we have heard from some of his own players.)

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2009, 06:24 PM
Interviews earlier today on WHB with Joques Crawford and Marcus Hereford indicated that verbal abuse from Coach Mangino included references to dead family members, alcohol abuse by parents, and gang-related violence, on front of other players. At least one player reported that he went to Coach Mangino with a personal problem, only to have that admission 'thrown in his face in front of the whole team' at a later practice.

If true, how can anyone defend this?

badger
11/20/2009, 06:30 PM
All I know is if Perkins fires Mangino because he's fat, as that Jason Whitlock suggested, he deserves to be fired himself.
http://media.kansas.com/smedia/2009/11/18/11/Mangino03.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate.80.JPG
That's Perkins on the left.

olevetonahill
11/20/2009, 07:24 PM
Exactly, and neither do you. We don't know what happened, but if players are this upset Mangino may have stepped over the line.

Lou Holtz did this once, and spent the rest of the night apologizing. Totally disgraceful.

Interesting how Mangino cannot be expected to handle Perkins' attacks, but we all come to his defense when he hands his own players crap. If anything, Mangino is the one that sounds like he has trouble handling authority. (But that is only based on what we have heard from some of his own players.)

:Leroy
Ya go several days making Decent posts
Now this ?:confused:

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2009, 07:35 PM
What's the problem?

We stick up for Mangino because Perkins is supposedly mistreating him publicly, but then we tell the players to "nut up" and deal with their abuses, otherwise be known as crybabies.

If what the players are saying is true, then I understand the university firing him. I'm not saying they need to, but I certainly understand why they would. This is the 21st century. We don't tolerate jackasses like Darrell Royal like we used to, and for good reason.

Collier11
11/20/2009, 08:06 PM

and thats why I have said that if the reports that I hear are true they are weak and it seems like a witch hunt, I have also stated that if he did abuse them he should be gone. I dont consider a chest poke or cussing out as abuse

Lou should apologize for alot of stuff, for one he spat in my eye while talking to me

because most of these players attacks are after the facf and come off as petty

Scott D
11/20/2009, 08:23 PM
Robert Smith had an interesting take on this situation, considering he spoke to a former player, and to the father of another former player.

Seems more of a consensus is that Perkins is trying to fire Mangino, and is trying to do it in such a way that he won't have to pay Mangino a dime since there is no buyout in Mangino's contract, but every penny in that contract is guaranteed unless there is "For Cause".

Regardless of what happens v. Texas, if Kansas beats Mizzou, good luck to Perkins convincing the regents that Mangino is the one that needs to be gone, and not Perkins himself.

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2009, 08:45 PM
because most of these players attacks are after the facf and come off as petty

The players that were interviewed after the fact by the media are not the issue here. This whole thing arose apparently because some of his current players are having a difficult time with Mangino's behavior right now.

Whether their complaints are valid or not is difficult to tell. But it is out of character for groups of players to complain to this extent for little reason. Rather than call them crybabies, why not admit that they may have endured more than they should have?

Lou should apologize for alot of stuff, for one he spat in my eye while talking to me

Do you remember the incident? Holtz walked out on the field and dragged a defensive lineman off the field by his facemask. Everyone, announcers included, thought it was bush league and humiliating.

Was it a big deal? Absolutely.

Being a coach doesn't give you the right to treat people any way you like. And it makes no difference if the team is successful, as some of you are suggesting.

Yelling at players to hustle? No problem. Yelling at them for not using proper technique? Understandable. Waving a person's private life out in public? Completely inexcusable and indefensible. There are some things you just don't do, and that's about six of them.

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2009, 08:57 PM
I hadn't read this:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/nov/17/coachs-history-parking-tickets/

The summer before Kansas football would embark on its most successful season in history, the team’s coach would be accused of verbally berating a KU student who had issued him the latest of nearly two dozen tickets for illegally parking in a loading zone near his office.

At that time, Kansas Athletics Inc. encouraged KU Parking & Transit to take whatever action it normally would take in such a situation, then turned its attention to discussing the issue with coach Mark Mangino.

Mangino hasn’t had a KU parking ticket since.

“We addressed it and it’s over,” said Jim Marchiony, a spokesman for Kansas Athletics Inc., on Tuesday.

The Journal-World received documentation regarding the incident through an open records request filed earlier this year. The request yielded information about Mangino’s parking tickets and other documentation regarding the incident with a Parking and Transit employee.

Marchiony acknowledged the existence of the information, but declined to discuss the contents in detail.

“The documents speak for themselves,” he said.

As outlined in the documents provided by Kansas University, the incident occurred in June 2007, when Mangino received a ticket from KU Parking and Transit for parking his vehicle in the loading zone south of Parrott Athletic Center — the 23rd time he had been ticketed for parking in the space.

Donna Hultine, director of KU Parking and Transit, reported that the particular ticket had spurred Mangino to track down the student employee who had written the ticket and launch a 10-minute, expletive-filled “tirade” so loud that it drew several employees out of nearby Allen Fieldhouse to watch.

“He screamed, yelled and cussed for a while and then got out of his car and screamed, yelled and cussed 6 inches from the student’s face,” Hultine said, in an e-mail to her boss at Strong Hall, Vice Provost Jim Long.

Contacted Tuesday, Hultine said she was pleased with the athletics department’s quick response to her complaints. Indeed, she said, Mangino hasn’t been ticketed since the incident and even has gone out of his way this season to be cordial to Parking and Transit employees when he sees them.

“It tells me that he’s willing to play by the rules and if he’s at least changed his behavior towards us, that’s great,” she said.

But two years ago, Hultine said, she was concerned for the very safety of her employees.

“I didn’t want to put any of my folks in his path,” Hultine said Tuesday. “Based on that incident, I knew what he was capable of. I had to stop it. I needed it to be addressed.

“They (athletics) took it very seriously and addressed it pretty quickly.”

Back in June 2007, Hultine had said that the “extreme” nature of the incident had led her to describe the altercation in a subsequent letter to Long.

“I understand that some level of anger and harassment come with the territory,” Hultine said, in her letter. “I am documenting this incident because it is an extreme that even this department doesn’t often see, especially from a person of Mark Mangino’s position and influence at this university and in this community.

“This is a man who should be setting examples and representing the University of Kansas in a professional manner.”

In an earlier e-mail regarding the incident, Hultine noted that she’d sent a note to Sean Lester, who is an associate athletic director at Kansas Athletics Inc., to complain about Mangino’s behavior.

Hultine said that Lester then sent the note to Perkins, who in turn talked to Mangino.

“Mangino called me the next day and completely denied this behavior — he says it was a ‘conversation,’ ” Hultine said, in her e-mail. “Sean Lester and Lew Perkins have been very supportive of us in this incident — they’re not saying it out loud but I know that they’ve dealt with Coach Mangino’s anger issues in the past and they’re encouraging me to take whatever action I’d normally take in instances like this.”

Hultine already had instructed her employees to “key” the microphone on their radios should they ever get into a similar situation with Mangino, so that such a “conversation” would be heard — and recorded — by police dispatchers.

olevetonahill
11/20/2009, 09:03 PM
What's the problem?

We stick up for Mangino because Perkins is supposedly mistreating him publicly, but then we tell the players to "nut up" and deal with their abuses, otherwise be known as crybabies.

If what the players are saying is true, then I understand the university firing him. I'm not saying they need to, but I certainly understand why they would. This is the 21st century. We don't tolerate jackasses like Darrell Royal like we used to, and for good reason.

I aint stickin up fer either one
I just think the Players are Cry babies, They are the ones that need to Nut up and Shut up .

More simply Put "If ya cant take the heat, Get the **** out the Kitchen "

olevetonahill
11/20/2009, 09:08 PM
These Guys are gettin a 50K plus education, Fer Playin a game .
They need to earn it or Get gone .

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2009, 09:28 PM
True, but one could also say that Mangino is making hundreds of thousands of dollars every year to represent the university well, not only on the gridiron but in person. If he can't, sayonara.

For that kind of money, I think he can certainly look the other way over a few parking tickets, especially since the tickets were apparently his own doing.

Collier11
11/20/2009, 09:31 PM
although it also seems like Perkins is on a witch hunt and is running with some basic criticism, is the bitter criticism by 4 or 5 out of hundreds upon hundreds enough to fire? Id be interested to know what is going on behind the scenes, I bet Mangino and Perkins truly hate each other now

Sooner Eclipse
11/20/2009, 09:34 PM
True, but one could also say that Mangino is making hundreds of thousands of dollars every year to represent the university well, not only on the gridiron but in person. If he can't, sayonara.

For that kind of money, I think he can certainly look the other way over a few parking tickets, especially since the tickets were apparently his own doing.

It was a loading zone... Have you SEEN the man??? Geesh. Next their going to be upset about the fork lift he uses to get into the suburban. :rolleyes:

Soonerfan88
11/20/2009, 10:11 PM
I'm not claiming to be well connected to KU boosters but I have heard a little from folks who have friends that work on campus & in the AD. They are split-some like Mangino and some think he's recreating The Junction Boys.

Seems this basically all started with one guy - the guy who was poked in the chest. He is a Sr. & got benched in favor of a Fr. His parents then cried foul and called both KU & the NCAA claiming "physical & verbal abuse." This was during the losses to CU & OU timeframe. From my perspective, Perkins took this opportunity to call a players only meeting and try to get more dirt. It's well known around here that Perkins has wanted Mangino out from the first and now thinks he can fire him without owing any money. The athletic dept and the whiners intentionally made this a public battle, knowing the media would then make their job easier by getting quotes from anyone they could find.

Did Mangino cross the line with his comments? Probably, but these didn't just happen this year so if they were so hurtful and insensitive, why didn't someone say something earlier? I haven't seen one article/interview that said anyone brought this up to either Mangino, another coach, or the AD prior to this witch hunt. And I certainly don't give any credence to complaints made by J. Crawford. He freely brought up in his interview that he & his boys intentionally ignored curfew & other rules but then got offended because he got disciplined for it. Eventually screwed up so much he got kicked off the team.

Ultimately, I think Mangino will finish the regular season and then be let go. I predict he will get his remaining salary because Perkins made such a public shambles of the whole situation.

King Barry's Back
11/20/2009, 10:27 PM

Look, Perkins seems to not know what he is doing. First, he should have waited until after the season was over, at least the regular season, which ends in all of two weeks.

Second, he should have been conducting his "investigation" in private, with attorneys present and getting affidavits -- not parading parents through semi-public assemblies.

He should have carefully documented everything in an evidentiary manner.

This should all have been firmly vetted with the universty president and regents, so that a united front was presented when Mangino was approached.

And then very quietly in January (or December), Mangino should have been called to a meeting with the AD and university president -- with all appropriate attorneys present -- and all the evidence laid out. At that point, Mangino should have been told that the university intended to move forward with the process to terminate the contract for cause -- and therefore Mangino would NOT get the $600,000.

At that point, Mangino could be offered the opportunity to quietly resign and claim health reasons, family reasons or whatever, and they might offer some compensation to sweeten the deal to help him decide to resign. They would all agree to sign non-disclosure agreements, what have you.

Yeah, in the end, a lot of this would have leaked out in the press, but it would have done far less damage to the university's and the AD's reputations.

What this looks like to me, is the AD has it in for Mangino for personal reasons (whatever they may be), and wants to run him off. HOWEVER, said AD doesn't really have the support of his own superiors, so he is trying the public witch hunt to undermine the coach in the eyes of the fans, donors and president/regents. Sadly, the AD is thus badly undermining himself. This might end in Mangino's firing, but the reverberations will not be helpful to the AD in the future.

First, this AD has made it less likely that coaching candidates will want to come to Kansas. Second, he looks like someone who is not a corporate operator. (Does Proctor and Gamble air dirty laundry like this?) Third, by making all this evidence public, and encouraging, for example, fathers of former players go out and do interviews talkin' trash, etc, he may well be placing his own university and athletic dept at liability for lawsuits by "mistreated" players.

Now how credible are these reports? A players' father? Do you think, right now, today, that Coach Bomar has much good to say about Bob Stoops? What about Mr Jarboe? If Bob Stoops was in the middle of a 5 game skid, do you think disgruntled dads, who dreamed for 20 years their sons would be NFL super heroes, would crawl out the woodwork to denounce Bob Stoops and his methods?

And what are they saying? The players "hate" Coach Mangino? Are you kidding me? Players have hated football coaches for time immemorial. Some coaches engender a love relationship (Wilkinson, for example), and some engender hate (Bear Bryant). That's the way it is.

If KU is unhappy with Mangino, pay him off and let him go. Letting him swing in the wind is just unprofessional.

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2009, 10:32 PM
I'll do my best to see this from Perkins' view. I am not suggesting the following is the right way to go about things, but it could be how Perkins is playing this out:

"I'm the new A.D., and the coach of the football team has an explosive temper that has already caused problems with various campus personnel. He is a liability waiting to happen, and when the **** hits the fan they are going to point all fingers at me. But we are winning and I guess I just have to put with up it."

Later...

"Okay, we're now 5-5. With his propensity for lighting people up, keeping him has no upside. Sooner or later we are going to be in a lawsuit. I need to get rid of him."

Is this plausible? Maybe. Is it acceptable behavior. I'm not so sure.

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2009, 10:35 PM
I tend to agree that Perkins has not handled this well. That doesn't excuse Mangino's behavior, though.

olevetonahill
11/20/2009, 10:42 PM
Ok Ive heard Maybe 5 Players Bitch
5 that are Pro MM
its a wash
Players need to STFU and earn their Skollies :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
11/20/2009, 10:44 PM
This is about like the Abortion Debate
I aint got a dog in this fight so **** it

King Barry's Back
11/20/2009, 10:45 PM
The players that were interviewed after the fact by the media are not the issue here. This whole thing arose apparently because some of his current players are having a difficult time with Mangino's behavior right now.

Whether their complaints are valid or not is difficult to tell. But it is out of character for groups of players to complain to this extent for little reason. Rather than call them crybabies, why not admit that they may have endured more than they should have?

Do you remember the incident? Holtz walked out on the field and dragged a defensive lineman off the field by his facemask. Everyone, announcers included, thought it was bush league and humiliating.

Was it a big deal? Absolutely.

Being a coach doesn't give you the right to treat people any way you like. And it makes no difference if the team is successful, as some of you are suggesting.

Yelling at players to hustle? No problem. Yelling at them for not using proper technique? Understandable. Waving a person's private life out in public? Completely inexcusable and indefensible. There are some things you just don't do, and that's about six of them.

Can I ask you kind of a personal question? Do you have the kind of personality that likes to take the opposite line? I'm kind of like that -- if EVERYBODY believes something, I tend to think that they must not have really thought it through and want to question it. (Global "warming" is a good example, FWIW)...

Anyway, we have several documented incidences (the YouTube "hot dog" incident, the parking ticket thing, yelling at high school officials) that tend to show some kind of anger management issue, no doubt. There are probably more, many more, that have gone on out of the public eye.

What I have a real problem with is somebody's father spewing **** for his own son. He's the father of a FORMER NCAA football player. So that former player must be in his 20s now. He can't speak for himself? Hello, Coach Bomar.

If the University of Kansas takes a clear eyed look at this, and decides that Mangino -- their winningest coach in a century -- is a liability to the school, then so be it. I'd prefer they refer him to some off season counselling or something, but if that's what they want to do, it's certainly their prerogative.

But nothing alledged against Mangino in any way that I've heard justifies this public witch hunt while he swings in the wind, and it makes me think the university has not decided he should go, only the AD has decided it.

Whether Mangino stays or goes, this AD's days are numbered. (Is it true he is tangling with Bill Self? Are you kidding me?)

beer4me
11/20/2009, 10:58 PM
ESPN2 gonna talk about Mangino at half time during the tater state game

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2009, 11:06 PM
Can I ask you kind of a personal question? Do you have the kind of personality that likes to take the opposite line?

If I agree with everyone, I typically won't post. Where's the fun in that? So it only kind of seems that way.

I'm a huge Sooner fan, but I'm not the typical meathead sports nut. To me, college football is entertainment for the fans and a good opportunity for certain athletes to gain an education. That is why I oppose playoffs and defend players against their coaches. I'm usually the first person to come in here after a loss and tell people to lighten up, especially if they are attacking players personally.

What I have a real problem with is somebody's father spewing **** for his own son. He's the father of a FORMER NCAA football player. So that former player must be in his 20s now. He can't speak for himself? Hello, Coach Bomar.

Well, they can express their opinion, but Mangino doesn't have to answer to them. My students' parents can complain to the media about the way I conduct my classes if they wish. It's their right. But I don't have to meet with them and I never have. I don't think their complaints are particularly valid. But it's evidence. Nothing more, nothing less.

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2009, 11:12 PM
BTW, I defend players, but I don't think 75% of them belong on a college campus. If a player doesn't have the scholastic background we expect from a person walking on a normal college campus, they shouldn't be playing.

They should take a simple math quiz and submit a writing sample to an objective committee composed of professors of math, science, and English. Names and choice of school omitted.

No passee, no playee.

King Barry's Back
11/21/2009, 01:25 AM
BTW, I defend players, but I don't think 75% of them belong on a college campus. If a player doesn't have the scholastic background we expect from a person walking on a normal college campus, they shouldn't be playing.

They should take a simple math quiz and submit a writing sample to an objective committee composed of professors of math, science, and English. Names and choice of school omitted.

No passee, no playee.

Leroy, kind of an apology. You had posted a couple times in between my posts and I hadn't seen them. So you had really explained yourself in there. My bad on the "personal question."

But this post is kind of out of the blue, yeah? Am I misreading it? Doesn't seem to have anything to do with Mangino? Just a question, though (which is good as I need to up my post count) you really think 75% of players don't belong on any college campus? I went to college, and there were some stupid people there no where near the athletics dept.

Leroy Lizard
11/21/2009, 03:59 AM
About 25% of the regular body doesn't belong on a campus either. :D