PDA

View Full Version : This should be interesting to watch...

Okla-homey
11/17/2009, 10:46 AM
The Chinese, you know, the folks who hold the note on the United States, are questioning the amount Nancy P. and Harry R. seek to blow on Obamacare.:D

China questions costs of U.S. healthcare reform

Guess what? It turns out the Chinese are kind of curious about how President Barack Obama’s healthcare reform plans would impact America’s huge fiscal deficit. Government officials are using his Asian trip as an opportunity to ask the White House questions. Detailed questions.

Boilerplate assurances that America won’t default on its debt or inflate the shortfall away are apparently not cutting it. Nor should they, when one owns nearly $2 trillion in assets denominated in the currency of a country about to double its national debt over the next decade.

Nothing happening in Washington today should give Beijing any comfort or confidence about what may happen tomorrow. Healthcare reform was originally promoted as a way to “bend the curve” on escalating entitlement costs, the major part of which is financing Medicare and Medicaid. That is looking more and more like an overpromised deliverable.

For instance, a new study from the U.S. government’s Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services finds that the healthcare reform bill recently passed in the House of Representatives would increase healthcare spending to 21.3 percent of GDP by 2019 compared with 20.8 percent under current law. That’s bending the curve the wrong way. The study also questions the “long-term viability” of the $500 billion in Medicare cuts meant to help pay for expanded insurance coverage.

In addition, the CMS study gives a clearer cost estimate than the one provided by the Congressional Budget Office. According to the CBO, the 10-year cost of PelosiCare is $894 billion. But that analysis includes early years with little government spending, According to the CMS, the House approach would cost $1 trillion from 2013-2019, or some $140 billion a year when fully put into effect.

Few realists in Washington think any of the current reform plans make a significant dent in the long-term healthcare cost to government. Indeed, the Senate Budget Committee recently held hearing about creating a bipartisan commission to find solutions to America’s entitlements problems.

If healthcare reform really bent the curve, there would be a no need for such a commission to do Healthcare Reform 2.0.

The Chinese might want to keep up the questioning.

85Sooner
11/17/2009, 11:11 AM
hmmmmmm....... Wonder if their as gullible as some people who live in this country.

soonerscuba
11/17/2009, 11:21 AM
hmmmmmm....... Wonder if their as gullible as some people who live in this country.Says the guy that believed cars.gov turned your computer over to the government.

49r
11/17/2009, 11:42 AM
It's generally considered bad form to quote a media source without crediting them with at least a link. Apparently, here on soonerfans.com, copyright issues are not a concern?

sooner_born_1960
11/17/2009, 11:45 AM
Speaking only for myself, not a concern at all.

King Barry's Back
11/17/2009, 11:54 AM
It's generally considered bad form to quote a media source without crediting them with at least a link. Apparently, here on soonerfans.com, copyright issues are not a concern?

Nope, I'm good.

49r
11/17/2009, 11:59 AM
Just saying. It's a matter of etiquette, as well as a potential legal concern for the HMFIC. Y'all can be as good as you want with it, but IMO, it takes about a second to credit your source and really should be done.

JohnnyMack
11/17/2009, 12:06 PM
Just saying. It's a matter of etiquette, as well as a potential legal concern for the HMFIC. Y'all can be as good as you want with it, but IMO, it takes about a second to credit your source and really should be done.

Are you being serious? I can't tell.

Frozen Sooner
11/17/2009, 12:08 PM
Beyond the potential legal issues (which I don't think pose a serious risk here) there's the fact that crediting your sources allows the reader to make decisions as to the credibility of the source.

In this particular case, not a big deal. I've seen this reported a couple of places. Just as a general rule. Like there's a guy on here who c&ps stuff from fringe right-wing sites all the time without crediting.

My Opinion Matters
11/17/2009, 01:04 PM
Very slick threadjack, niner.

swardboy
11/17/2009, 01:15 PM
Yea China.
Source: swardboy

StoopTroup
11/17/2009, 01:21 PM
Finding a source in China ought to be pretty easy. You just start on the Coast and work your way inland. Eventually...you'll back that bastage in a corner.

picasso
11/17/2009, 01:30 PM
Why isn't Richard Gere protesting any of this?

49r
11/17/2009, 01:41 PM
Beyond the potential legal issues (which I don't think pose a serious risk here) there's the fact that crediting your sources allows the reader to make decisions as to the credibility of the source.

In this particular case, not a big deal. I've seen this reported a couple of places. Just as a general rule. Like there's a guy on here who c&ps stuff from fringe right-wing sites all the time without crediting.

You're right. It isn't a big deal. Just a pet peeve of mine. I hate lazy message board behavior. I also dislike the inability of folks around here to take advantage of the youtube video embedding feature (and the rest of the UBB tags that even the greenest n00b should be able to understand).

I am a strong believer of crediting your source though. I doubt Okla-Homey wrote and published that article himself...I mean, he very well may have, but I doubt it...

StoopTroup
11/17/2009, 01:47 PM
Why isn't Richard Gere protesting any of this?

There must be a gerbil convention going right now?

Scott D
11/17/2009, 03:47 PM
You're right. It isn't a big deal. Just a pet peeve of mine. I hate lazy message board behavior. I also dislike the inability of folks around here to take advantage of the youtube video embedding feature (and the rest of the UBB tags that even the greenest n00b should be able to understand).

I am a strong believer of crediting your source though. I doubt Okla-Homey wrote and published that article himself...I mean, he very well may have, but I doubt it...

look at the bright side, Okla-Homey at least comprehends the usage of the quote feature, something that I Am Wrong continues to struggle with unless he hits the little button in the corner of a post to reply to it. It took him awhile to get the handle on that one though. ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
11/17/2009, 03:54 PM
When someone else holds your debt, you no longer get to act as you want or wish. True Freedom comes when you are debt free. The Chinese have a right to their opinion and say, they own a lot of our paper.

Oldnslo
11/17/2009, 05:50 PM
When you owe somebody $2,000.00 it's your problem. When you owe them $2,000,000,000,000.00, it's their problem

sooner_born_1960
11/17/2009, 06:22 PM
When you owe somebody $2,000.00 it's your problem. When you owe them $2,000,000,000,000.00, it's their problem
The chinese have a right to say what they please. It ends there, though. I no more give a rat's *** what the chinese think than I cared what the rest of the asians thought in that thread of chuck's yesterday.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/17/2009, 06:42 PM
I'm sure you do, but if they dumb our paper as a whole, the dollar goes through the crapper and we are running around with wheelbarrows to buy bread and milk...

There is no real way out of this but to stop spending, increase US Commerce and GNP and buy back our debt, live within our means (no deficit spending) and develop a surplus.

PDXsooner
11/17/2009, 06:44 PM
hmmmmmm....... Wonder if their as gullible as some people who live in this country.

respect YOUR PRESIDENT!

tommieharris91
11/17/2009, 09:44 PM
I'm sure you do, but if they dumb our paper as a whole, the dollar goes through the crapper and we are running around with wheelbarrows to buy bread and milk...

There is no real way out of this but to stop spending, increase US Commerce and GNP and buy back our debt, live within our means (no deficit spending) and develop a surplus.

Guess what else the gubmint can do.

MamaMia
11/17/2009, 10:09 PM

I am a strong believer of crediting your source though. I doubt Okla-Homey wrote and published that article himself...I mean, he very well may have, but I doubt it... Here. Copy title/paste and hit search. :)

http://blogs.reuters.com/james-pethokoukis/2009/11/16/china-questions-costs-of-us-healthcare-reform/

Half a Hundred
11/17/2009, 10:23 PM
When you owe the bank $10,000, you have a problem. When you owe the bank $1,000,000, the bank has a problem.

A Sooner in Texas
11/17/2009, 11:56 PM
When you owe the bank $10,000, you have a problem. When you owe the bank $1,000,000, the bank has a problem.

Is it Groundhog Day? :confused:

49r
11/18/2009, 09:54 AM

What if your Bruce? Who's got the problem then?