PDA

View Full Version : USPS posts $3.8 billion dollar loss; blames hillbilly in Lexington, OK

JohnnyMack
11/16/2009, 05:41 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/16/news/companies/US_postal_service/index.htm

yermom
11/16/2009, 05:45 PM
they should charge more for junk mail ;)

oh, and :dean:

stoopified
11/16/2009, 05:57 PM
That is just a smokescreen so the Pustal workers union can push through the no Saturdsy delvery plan.That way those incompetent,overpaid,underworked sons and daughters from Uncle Sam can have weekends off,along with their 8 weeks of vacation,24 sick days,17 paid federal holidays. :)

sooner ngintunr
11/16/2009, 06:12 PM
If they are gonna drop a day, I vote for Tuesday.

C&CDean
11/17/2009, 09:22 AM
Just mail early, mail often.

Okla-homey
11/17/2009, 10:56 AM
The one thing my good friend Dean-o (the Mean-o) apprised me of that makes sense regarding the USPS unreasonable burden is the fact they have to deliver, to every mailbox, every day, even if all they're delivering is a postcard from your insurance agent from his trip to Branson.

Collier11
11/17/2009, 10:59 AM
stop making them deliver the rediculous ads that flood my mailbox

stoops the eternal pimp
11/17/2009, 11:01 AM
I've seen Dean's top-secret inventions...I would be careful what I say if I was you

C&CDean
11/17/2009, 11:06 AM
1. Those ridiculous ads keep our economy running.

2. As the Homester said, we're mandated by Congress to deliver to EVERY KNOWN ADDRESS in the U.S. of A. This includes people who live on a penninsula in Alaska or somewhere way back up in the Kentucky boonies. For the same price as any other letter or package. We have letters delivered that go through a automated machine, then to an airplane, then to a truck, then to a jeep, then to a snowmobile, then to a bush plane, then to a canoe, and the final mile is on snow shoes in -20 weather. For forty four cents (or whatever the hell a stamp costs nowadays). No other delivery service does this. Sure, they go to Anchorage and all the decent size towns - for an increased fee.

3. The $3.8 loss is kind of deceiving. The USPS was required to pre-fund retirees health benefit costs last year. No other government agency does this. If I recall, it cost us about $6 billion this past year. Without that anchor, we'd have made a couple bil.

4. Mail early, mail often.

85Sooner
11/17/2009, 11:10 AM
Another efficient Government run program at work even though its not part of the US Government.

StoopTroup
11/17/2009, 11:20 AM
Just mail early, mail often.

I'm a proponent of Airmail.

Hot Rod
11/17/2009, 11:21 AM
Man, I love technology (e-mail, cell phones, computers)...

NormanPride
11/17/2009, 11:25 AM
I have no idea where all of the USPS's money comes from. Is it all revenue from shipping, or is it subsidized by tax revenue?

49r
11/17/2009, 11:44 AM
Online billpaying has reduced my need to buy stamps to, well zero. Thanks internet!

yermom
11/17/2009, 11:53 AM
Online billpaying has reduced my need to buy stamps to, well zero. Thanks internet!

it has been probably more than 3 years since i bought stamps

of course, Dean might be happy to know most of them are likely lost somewhere and were never used :)

C&CDean
11/17/2009, 12:11 PM
People who don't buy stamps are:

Homeless
Friendless
Penniless
No home owning muh****ahs
Worthless

I could go on and on. And sending granny an e-Christmas card is the equivelent of using a rubber. Yeah, it's sex, but it ain't real.

C&CDean
11/17/2009, 12:12 PM
I have no idea where all of the USPS's money comes from. Is it all revenue from shipping, or is it subsidized by tax revenue?

100% of the USPS revenue is generated through postage sales and PO boxes. The USPS does not receive a single penny of tax payers money. It's the only self-sufficient arm of the government. Of course the USPS is penalized by having to follow directions from Congress - without getting any of the chump change.

Sooner04
11/17/2009, 12:35 PM
I love the mail. The entire process. Always have, always will. One of the happiest moments of my life was getting the first piece of mail delivered to the house my wife and I bought right before we got married.

I also rent a P.O. box for all work-related stuff as well as my bills. Magazines I keep/collect (like Sports Illustrated) also go to my P.O. box.

I'm sad they're going through tough times, but I do my part. I go through "Forever" stamps like crazy. Plus, as a small town boy, I still see the value in hand-written correspondence. You'd be surprised where a note can go.

olevetonahill
11/17/2009, 12:37 PM
I mail ONE item a month, Used to be about 20
then got em all on auto pay so i dont have to worry about it

Now I do still help the Deans of the world out tho

I simply toss all My junk mail into a pile
at the end of the Month I open all that carp up and Insert Offer # 1 into Offer #2s Prepaid envelope , Keep mixin em up till Im out of shat to stuff in em .

Then I look for anything else that I can add
Mail all that shat and wait till next month to do it again
Ive noticed Im not gettin much junk mail anymore tho :eek:

sooner_born_1960
11/17/2009, 12:45 PM
That whole granny, rubber, sex simile is disturbing.

C&CDean
11/17/2009, 12:46 PM
Only if the tenny fits.

yermom
11/17/2009, 01:16 PM
People who don't buy stamps are:

Homeless
Friendless
Penniless
No home owning muh****ahs
Worthless

I could go on and on. And sending granny an e-Christmas card is the equivelent of using a rubber. Yeah, it's sex, but it ain't real.

:(

can i stay at the Deanarosa?

StoopTroup
11/17/2009, 01:19 PM
BTW....

Santa only answers stuff with a stamp on it. He hates email and puts coal in the stockings of twitter twits.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/17/2009, 01:22 PM
I took LASs advice and get all my bills electronically and pay them all electronically to save trees.

Sorry Dean. It's LAS's fault.

StoopTroup
11/17/2009, 01:26 PM
Elvis stamps Rock

49r
11/17/2009, 01:36 PM
Free market economy works.

Technology allows us to do most of the **** we used to need stamps to do free now. USPS loses money. Lazy people lose jobs. Everything is right in the world. God Bless America.

C&CDean
11/17/2009, 02:00 PM
Free market economy works.

Technology allows us to do most of the **** we used to need stamps to do free now. USPS loses money. Lazy people lose jobs. Everything is right in the world. God Bless America.

No problemo. Except there's a lot of **** you can't do via email. Yes, you can go to ebay or craigslist and order ****, but somebody's gotta deliver it. Try sending that gay sex love doll you ordered through the innerwebs some time.

yermom
11/17/2009, 02:01 PM
UPS

C&CDean
11/17/2009, 02:06 PM
Better check those ups prices. I mean all you poor homeless slobs need to save all the coin you can, right? Why would you worry about 44 cents when you pay double and oftentimes triple to send something ups or fedex?

49r
11/17/2009, 02:26 PM
Looks like a nerve has been hit...

Anyway, I take great pleasure in not buying stamps. Great pleasure.

Collier11
11/17/2009, 02:28 PM
I buy stamps for the 3 bills a month that I cant pay online and I buy them to send out Christmas cards, other than that, its all done online. The way of doing things is changing, USPS needs to evolve

NormanPride
11/17/2009, 02:29 PM
Why the hell would you take pleasure in not buying stamps?

C&CDean
11/17/2009, 02:30 PM
Looks like a nerve has been hit...

Anyway, I take great pleasure in not buying stamps. Great pleasure.

So you rub one out every time you don't buy a stamp? Kinky.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/17/2009, 02:35 PM
~Dean to STEP as we walked through the halls of the NCED~ " You see them mutha ****in stamps hangin on dat wall?..you mutha ****a's need to be buyin more of dat **** playa."

yermom
11/17/2009, 02:38 PM

because i hate mailing stuff

badger
11/17/2009, 03:10 PM
NP and I subscribe to a Netflix for vidya games, so we're doing our part for the USPS :D

Collier11
11/17/2009, 03:12 PM

and why would you take pleasure in buying stamps? :D

C&CDean
11/17/2009, 03:15 PM
and why would you take pleasure in buying stamps? :D

Philately (collecting stamps) is the most popular form of collecting in the world. Some folks have stamp collections worth brazillions.

Collier11
11/17/2009, 03:22 PM
Gotcha

NormanPride
11/17/2009, 03:32 PM
because i hate mailing stuff

This describes a revulsion at buying, not ecstasy at not buying. I wish I could sit around all day going "Oh, hell yes! Another great day not buying stamps from the USPS!"

;)

MamaMia
11/17/2009, 03:42 PM
Its hard to get to the Post Office before they close.

yermom
11/17/2009, 04:00 PM
This describes a revulsion at buying, not ecstasy at not buying. I wish I could sit around all day going "Oh, hell yes! Another great day not buying stamps from the USPS!"

;)

every month when i pay all my bills online in like 30 seconds i'm really happy not to be buying stamps that may or may not even cover postage the next time i try to use them

Collier11
11/17/2009, 04:05 PM
while having to write out the envelopes and checks

yermom
11/17/2009, 04:11 PM
word.

i hate checks too. that's way too much information on a piece of paper that i am going to trust to Newman or whoever

C&CDean
11/18/2009, 11:57 AM
Like I said before, when you're young, dumb, and full of cum - and don't own ****, you can get by without the USPS. When you grow up, you'll need us. You can't email mortgage contracts. You can't email gifts (I know, you young dumb guys don't buy **** for anybody - but if you ever get a gift in the mail I bet you dig it), you can't email "stuff." And if you're too lazy to write a check or think doing all your financial **** online is "worry free" then you're a lazy slob, and some day you'll get an account or financial transaction hacked into. At least that's what I read...

C&CDean
11/18/2009, 12:00 PM
Its hard to get to the Post Office before they close.

Huh? They'll come by your office and bring you anything you need and also pick up anything you need to mail. Free.

yermom
11/18/2009, 12:08 PM
you keep telling us how you are trying to lose money ;)

i mean all these things sound like you are artificially keeping prices lower than 3rd parties... but it kinda sounds like the business model is broken. times are changing

yermom
11/18/2009, 12:19 PM
Like I said before, when you're young, dumb, and full of cum - and don't own ****, you can get by without the USPS. When you grow up, you'll need us. You can't email mortgage contracts. You can't email gifts (I know, you young dumb guys don't buy **** for anybody - but if you ever get a gift in the mail I bet you dig it), you can't email "stuff." And if you're too lazy to write a check or think doing all your financial **** online is "worry free" then you're a lazy slob, and some day you'll get an account or financial transaction hacked into. At least that's what I read...

all your financial stuff is already online, whether you access it or not. if you are waiting for a statement in the mail you might know about a problem a month after it happens...

i'll fax something like that before i mail it. i just don't trust things to get there if they are important

i own a house and a couple of cars, and every time i have to wait for something in the mail, it kinda sucks

you got me on the not sending people stuff thing. the last time i did that i did use USPS since i could just go to the Union and do it

TheBobbyTrain
11/18/2009, 02:23 PM
don't make dean mad. if you do then he'll go to the postal training center gym, throw weights around and through windows, mirrors, people, etc.... then come find me, punch me a few times, then demand that i fix all the problems that he created.