PDA

View Full Version : World War II dorks

JohnnyMack
11/16/2009, 05:18 PM
http://www.history.com/content/wwii-in-hd

WWII in HD starts tonight.

C&CDean
11/16/2009, 05:21 PM
Dude, history buffs are not dorks. Star Wars fans, on the other hand...

JohnnyMack
11/16/2009, 05:23 PM
So if I was......say......both, that would make me?

C&CDean
11/16/2009, 05:24 PM
Gay?

1890MilesToNorman
11/16/2009, 05:28 PM
Ancient history and WWII are the most intriguing topics to me. Star Wars, not so much.

I watched an episode of WWII in HD earlier today on History, was that the pilot or is this a series continuing from last year?

1890MilesToNorman
11/16/2009, 05:30 PM
Never mind, I see it premiered last night.

Harry Beanbag
11/16/2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah, it started last night. Color footage that most likely none of us have ever seen before. Pretty fascinating in my book.

There was also a commercial last night that I've been waiting on for about 5 years now. The Pacific begins on HBO in March! It's Band of Brothers in the Pacific theatre.

Harry Beanbag
11/16/2009, 08:34 PM
So if I was......say......both, that would make me?

Not as gay as Harry Potter fans? :)

fadada1
11/16/2009, 10:48 PM
1st night - fantastic

2nd night - amazing

proud gonzo
11/16/2009, 11:06 PM
hmm... i always wonder if my grandpa was in any of the footage.

StoopTroup
11/17/2009, 08:28 AM
I missed setting the DVR for this. There are plenty of reruns today thankfully. It's set...and it's all good. I can dork it up later.

C&CDean
11/17/2009, 10:55 AM
I checked it out last night. Good stuff.

C&CDean
11/17/2009, 10:56 AM
Not as gay as Harry Potter fans? :)

Sir Nutsack is flirting with disaster...

Mjcpr
11/20/2009, 09:31 PM
Great series!

hmm... i always wonder if my grandpa was in any of the footage.

I always wonder about mine as well when they talk about Italy and North Africa, where he served.

instigator
11/20/2009, 09:49 PM
Glad to hear it's good. I have it all saved up on my Tivo waiting for this weekend. :)

PhilTLL
11/23/2009, 10:58 AM
As a certifiable, degree-holding history dork, isn't there anything else under the sun to which THC could devote another multi-night miniseries? Not that WWII wasn't important, but it's perhaps the single most exhaustively covered historical period in...history. By THC, professional historians, the general public, etc. Wait, wait, forgot, commercial TV network bound to (blindly grasping at) profitability. Right...

fadada1
11/23/2009, 11:06 AM
As a certifiable, degree-holding history dork, isn't there anything else under the sun to which THC could devote another multi-night miniseries? Not that WWII wasn't important, but it's perhaps the single most exhaustively covered historical period in...history. By THC, professional historians, the general public, etc. Wait, wait, forgot, commercial TV network bound to (blindly grasping at) profitability. Right...

true, but it was nice to see some new coverage (and in color). thought it was great to see some more of the pacific campaign (marianas, saipan, okinowa) other than iwo jima. iwo was just plain sick!!! 75% of WWII coverage seems to be about europe/hitler/ss/concentration camps/etc... so it was nice to see more on the pacific.

Chuck Bao
11/23/2009, 04:22 PM
There was a program on the History Channel about the role of Switzerland in WWII. I didn't know any of that. I always thought that Switzerland was neutral. Some people on the program claim that Hitler couldn't run his war machine for two weeks without the financing from Swiss banks, but the vast majority of Swiss were against Hitler and were prepared to fight him from the mountain tops in case he invaded. Most of the program was about Nazis channeling the loot through the Swiss banks. Fascinating stuff. And yeah, those Swiss bankers need to be exposed for what they did, especially stonewalling on accounts for holocaust survivors.

Harry Beanbag
11/23/2009, 11:39 PM

WWII was the single most important and defining moment in human history. Vets are dying at a rate of over 1000 a day, it won't be too long until it truly will be "history". I think that is one of the reasons there are so many recent programs about it, they're trying to get personal stories while they still can. Band of Brothers was made 9 years ago, most of the real soldiers interviewed for it have died since then.

KABOOKIE
11/23/2009, 11:41 PM
we would have lost WWII with all the ninny Obama supporters we have today.