PDA

View Full Version : BCS question

Iam4OUru
11/15/2009, 07:26 PM
Is there a scenario that allows more than 2 teams from a conference to play in BCS bowls? This would include any teams from that particular conference playing in the BCS Title Game.

Thanks

Frozen Sooner
11/15/2009, 07:41 PM
Nope. Two is max.

sooner ngintunr
11/15/2009, 07:49 PM
There could be three.

"No more than two teams from a conference may be selected, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large selections, unless two non-champions from the same conference are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the final BCS Standings."

I'm not even gonna try to explain that scenario.

It would be very, very unlikely.

silverwheels
11/15/2009, 07:58 PM
Yeah, it's technically possible, as explained above, but I can't see it ever happening. That is a very, very, very unlikely set of circumstances.

Frozen Sooner
11/15/2009, 09:07 PM
I stand corrected.

BermudaSooner
11/16/2009, 10:01 AM
There could be three.

"No more than two teams from a conference may be selected, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large selections, unless two non-champions from the same conference are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the final BCS Standings."

I'm not even gonna try to explain that scenario.

It would be very, very unlikely.

It would have to be from a conference where they don't have a championship game. Pac-10 for example. The conference champ loses 2-3 times out of conference, undefeated in conference and the #1 and #2 BCS teams are Pac-10 teams that lose 1 game in conference. All other BCS conferences have at least 1 loss champions--but more likely SEC and Big XII have 2-loss champs. And, of course, there is no TCU type that is undefeated and has a good claim.

Probably about as likely as a national championship contender losing 5 starters including the returning Heisman trophy winner and another AA to injury.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/16/2009, 10:07 AM
No.

King Barry's Back
11/16/2009, 10:16 AM
Interesting scenario. Could it happen?

Let's say Oklahoma and Nebraska do not meet in the regular season. Let's say we have a Paul Thompson style team that year and drop a couple of non-conference games, but then really put it together and go undefeated in the Big XII and win the conference -- automatically in a BCS game.

Let's say that Nebraska goes undefeated until the Big XII Championship, and finishes at 12-1 but remains ranked in the BCS top two -- ala OU following the KSU loss.

Then, how bout we say Kansas goes undefeated as well, losing only to Nebraska, but played a very tough schedule.

Yeah, I guess they could be in the top-2 as well.

Something like that has basically happened as well, in 2001, when Nebraska failed to win the North Division but made it to the BCS CHampionship game?

Events like these have all happened, but not at the same time.

Seems very unlikely, but in 1972 Nebraska, Oklahoma and Colorado all finished 1,2,3 -- so there's a chance.