PDA

View Full Version : 04's Attempt: OU vs. Mount Saint Mary's Recap

Sooner04
11/15/2009, 07:12 PM
In Blazing Saddles, shortly after the sheriff was murdered, the crops were burned, the people were stampeded and the cattle were raped, Howard Johnson quoted Nietzsche and informed his fellow citizens of Rock Ridge that "from chaos comes order". Nevermind that, in the movie, Olson Johnson tells him to blow that quote out of his ***....what we're concerned with his how Jeff Capel will take the chaos this is his lineup and turn it into some semblance of order. Some of the things we saw yesterday were a little different.

We saw a starting lineup with only two seniors.
We saw Crocker at the "4".
We saw four freshman and one sophomore on the floor.

It's the age-old "crap slung against the wall" theory. Take everything you've got, heave it against the wall and see what sticks. Now I'm not calling Jeff a mad scientist or anything, but I do think he's got enough moveable parts to really create some matchup problems for our opponents this year. We can get real small or we can put some big, lumbering lugs on the floor. In the meantime, we can throw just about anything else out there as well. What holds true one night may be blown to bits the next time out. Call me crazy, but that's fun.

I'll tell you what's also fun: the smooth 95 we put up yesterday. It wasn't a freakish 95 where you hit 60% from downtown. No sir, it was a 95 born out of getting to the rim, making free throws and hitting an average amount of our shots from the perimeter. To do nothing outlandish and still drop 95 causes my fast-break loving heart to flutter a tad. Just a tad, but there's movement down there.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
1st - 21 [Sometimes you wanna get higher.]
2nd - 28 [Sometimes you gotta start low.]
3rd - 19 [Some people think they gonna die someday.]
4th - 27 [I got news you never got to go.]

LEADING SCORERS:
21 - Steven Pledger
18 - Tiny Gallon
15 - Willie Warren
14 - Andrew Fitzgerald
11 - Tommy Mason-Griffin

(Four freshman and a sophomore lead in scoring. Ruh-Roh, Raggy!)

LEADING REBOUNDERS:
15 - Tiny Gallon (Games, one. Double-doubles, one.)
5 - Ryan Wright
5 - Andrew Fitzgerald

PLUSES:
1. The Recruiting Class of 2009: Is this what it was like when Billy trotted out T-Mac, Choo and DJ in the fall of '83? I'm not counting Hardrick here because he's not ready, but the other four (Tiny, Fitz, TMG and Pledge) combined for 64 points, 24 rebounds and seven assists. Tiny's a horse, but we knew he would be. TMG's lightning quick, but we knew he would be. Fitz looks like a three-legged camel getting up and down the court, but he knows how to play. He got great position through out using that XXL derriere of his. And Pledge..........

2. Steven Pledger: A true, honest-to-goodness net ripper. Some guys shoot with that high arc, but only the truest shooters have that lightning-quick release that produces a net rip. My friend, TopDawg, sat next to me yesterday and said we'll be counting his dribbles by game later in the year because he'll be firing at will at a moment's notice off of screens. I cannot wait.

3. Rebounding: Capel said he wants to run a bunch but that we can only do it if we commit in full to rebounding. So far, so good. 51-30 overall with an 18-6 edge on the offensive side. Plenty of breakdowns will be noted during film study, but I bet he's happy overall.

4. Willie Warren: There'll come a time when we have to call on WWIII to carry the weight, but yesterday he was content to let others shine. It surprised me a bit to hear he'd also chimed in 11 assists and four rebounds to go with his 15 points. Know what else is nice? Only two turnovers.

5. Shawn Atupem: A Hi-Top Fade that nice hasn't been seen inside the LNC since UNLV came to town in the fall of '89. I had a weird urge the rest of the day to go home and watch House Party (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_Party_(film)).

MINUSES:
1. The Seniors: Crocker and Wright played 42 minutes and produced the following: eight points, nine rebounds, two turnovers and one assist. More play like that in non-conference play will have you NOT playing IN conference play.

2. Taking it Easy on the Re-Entry: We headed into the break with a comfortable 49-36 cushion. Two minutes into the second half our lead was only 49-44. You're not going to win or lose games in the early stretches of a half, but you can damn sure make it easier on yourself by playing well at the opening bells.

3. Fast Break Opportunities: We only scored 11 points on the break, but I bet we could've doubled that. We've got the speed to zoom past most teams, but we've got to take advantages of the situations when they present themselves.

4. The Chupacabra: I'm still not over it. I'm still not over him. :(

SO! 1-0 with another piece of lunch meat on the table in the form of Louisiana-Monroe. It'll be interesting to see what changes are made in the 80 or so hours between the two games. Will we see Crocker in the post more? Will Ryan Wright take off the oven mitts? Has Orlando Allen already locked up the Longar Longar "Hands of Stone" award? Will our entire starting lineup feature headbands? I know answers to none of these questions.......but I look forward to the pursuit of the truth.

Thank you for your time.

FaninAma
11/15/2009, 07:55 PM
Nice read Brandon.

How do you think this team compares
to the Griffin x 2 team of last year?

Sooner04
11/15/2009, 08:57 PM
Way too early to tell. Last year's team was a rebounding machine and this year's squad will have to learn how to bump around with the bigger bodies they'll see. This squad is more talented offensively at the guard position than last year thought.

It'll also be interesting to see what kind of defenses we play. Last year our base "D" was "Blake, don't foul out". I imagine Jeff will get pretty creative with the defense as he sees fit.

[Disclaimer: My initial post was my second try at it. The first try was lost to a database error when I tried to start the thread. I forgot to harp on how we've got a long way to go with defensive communication.....especially down low. We'll see if that improves Tuesday night as well. I imagine with all the youth we'll be playing it'll be an ongoing problem for the first couple of months.]

okienole3
11/15/2009, 09:29 PM
5. Shawn Atupem: A Hi-Top Fade that nice hasn't been seen inside the LNC since UNLV came to town in the fall of '89. I had a weird urge the rest of the day to go home and watch House Party.

Add a little slant to it and he'd have what people in my circle like to call "the Joe Bowden".

badger
11/15/2009, 09:56 PM
(This is NP) Frustrating things to me: Poor Transition D and poor Post D. Fitz was cemented to the floor a couple times, and the rest of the young guys need to hustle more.

However, this team did just about exactly what I expected. Mostly easy victory against a non-pushover BBall team with quite a few mental mistakes and a ton of talent. If Pledger plays half that well every night we may be talking Hollis Price good.

Man, this team will be fun to watch! I bet we'll yell at them as much as we cheer, but isn't that half the fun?

Sooner04
11/15/2009, 10:35 PM
(This is NP) Frustrating things to me: Poor Transition D and poor Post D. Fitz was cemented to the floor a couple times, and the rest of the young guys need to hustle more.

However, this team did just about exactly what I expected. Mostly easy victory against a non-pushover BBall team with quite a few mental mistakes and a ton of talent. If Pledger plays half that well every night we may be talking Hollis Price good.

Man, this team will be fun to watch! I bet we'll yell at them as much as we cheer, but isn't that half the fun?
1. Fitz is very awkward looking. You almost expect to hear that (da-dum-DA-DUM) music playing when he lumbers down the floor. He hasn't shown me he's a very good athlete, but he makes up for that with a pretty crafty offensive game. Made a couple of good post moves and then went up with only one hand.

2. This is a COMPLETE one-game rush to judgment, but Pledger won't have to work nearly as hard to get his shot off as Hollis once did. Kid has got quite the body on him.

3. VERY fun to watch.

CobraKai
11/16/2009, 09:59 AM
I think this team has a chance to be pretty good defensively. As mentioned, last year's team was severely limited by the fact that Blake clearly was coached to let people go on by. I'm not critical...we could not afford to foul him out. However, if you got an entry pass to Blake's man you could pretty much ring it up.

The bottom line for me is that this team seems fun to watch, and will find multiple different ways to win this year given the fact that we have 5-6 guys that could score 20 on any given night. The flip side is that the freshman "wall" is a real thing. It tends to happen fairly often, and its going to hit us in a big way if it does.

CobraKai
11/16/2009, 10:05 AM
And Pledger may be my new favorite player. He is 1 game into his career and he is already close to replacing my old favorite player, Cal Curry. :)

Bourbon St Sooner
11/16/2009, 10:43 AM
How was the crowd Saturday? Typical 5K n-c crowd? It sounded pretty loud in there a few times.

I look forward to actually seeing these guys play. Maybe I can get the web cast for the next game. A lot gets lost in translation listing to BBS.

NormanPride
11/16/2009, 11:05 AM
Students showed up pretty well and were loud...until the game got out of hand in the second. Then they all left. :P

The rest of the crowd was pretty tame, but we had good numbers for an opener against a team most don't know anything about. Once word gets out this team can score, I expect there to be more butts in the seats as well.

badger
11/16/2009, 12:32 PM
Students showed up pretty well and were loud...until the game got out of hand in the second. Then they all left. :P

At least they showed up. A few years back those "CrimZone" areas weren't filling up.

This is actually badger this time. I will try to do some tributes for the women here this season.

ouleaf
11/16/2009, 01:41 PM
I like seeing that number of free throw attempts. If we can average somewhere around 20 attempts a game, and we shoot them at a percentage like we did, I'll be happy. I also like the assist totals as a team, but the Assist to Turnover ratio is a bit disappointing. It's great to see the young guys contribute early. I can't wait to see how they compete against a more equally matched opponent.

NormanPride
11/16/2009, 02:10 PM
I think the only thing that worried me was Willie's decision making. He seemed like he was trying too hard sometimes...

Everything else I think is fixable.

OUSKINS
11/16/2009, 03:52 PM
Bottom line...8 McDonalds HS All-Americans in school history...and three of them are starting on this team. I truly think this may be the most purely talented bunch in OU history--- lots of time for that statement to either sink in or make me look silly, but I could see it. If Capel pushes the right buttons and WW is truly a great player, then this is gonna be a super exciting season.

btk108
11/16/2009, 05:20 PM
I'm impressed with Fitz's last two games...yes, he's making freshman mistakes, but he seems to be in the right place at the right time and is making some solid plays. Bet he's one of the go-to guys by the end of the season.

Sooner24
11/17/2009, 02:34 PM
Jeff better shelf the Stonehenge defense we ran a few times Saturday. All in all I was pleased with our play. Funny thing it seemed we played better with an all freshman/soph team on the floor than I thought was possible. There were times Saturday I too was lamenting The Chupacabra not being on the team as he would have really given this team some depth off the bench.

TopDawg
11/19/2009, 01:28 AM
My friend, TopDawg, sat next to me yesterday and said we'll be counting his dribbles by game later in the year because he'll be firing at will at a moment's notice off of screens. I cannot wait.

Steven Pledger
2009/10 Stats

Dribbles: 4

Roland Martin would be proud.

TopDawg
11/19/2009, 01:33 AM
I like the rebounding position that Tiny and Fitz are able to get with their big bodies. Blake was a rebounding machine, but half the time he was jumping over people to get those boards. From what I've seen so far, Tiny and Fitz are pretty good at establishing position on the boards, but it'll be tougher when Big XII play rolls around.

But, man, do I miss the put-back dunks. That's another thing we'll miss from Chupacabra's absence.

After Mount Saint Mary, Capel talked about the poor transition defense in his post-game interview with Big Bob. But we also had some poor half-court defense. I was afraid some of our guys were going to get whiplash the way those Mountaineers were blowing past 'em. Part of that might just be adjusting to the speed of the college game. And that PG for The Mount was pretty quick.