PDA

View Full Version : Wildcat

setem
11/15/2009, 12:48 AM
I think the wildcat is a pretty affective way for us to run the ball. Especially with this o-line. On conventional run plays by the time our backs see the holes they are closing up. With the wildcat it gives them a tad more time to hit the holes. I think it needs to be implemented a bit more. The o-line has got to get their **** together on snap counts. This is getting pretty damn ridiculous!

OUHOMER
11/15/2009, 12:49 AM
everybody has a wildcat. OUrs is called the BOBCAT.

ywia

delhalew
11/15/2009, 12:50 AM
I'm cool with it as a wrinkle.

SoonerPr8r
11/15/2009, 01:34 AM
BOBCAT ftw

sooner59
11/15/2009, 01:37 AM
Awwww.....

I thought we were gonna call it the Wild Horsepig!

gaylordfan1
11/15/2009, 03:02 AM
Well, if we keep running it I think we should get Landry off the field. He is not a threat at WR!

sooner59
11/15/2009, 03:06 AM
Well, if we keep running it I think we should get Landry off the field. He is not a threat at WR!

YET! LOL. j/k

There is always the bubble screen lateral to Landry, and then Landry throwing downfield. Will we ever run it? No. Does the defense think about it? Probably crosses their mind.

swardboy
11/15/2009, 08:13 AM
Have LJ out wide and 10 yards off the line of scrimmage and they'll obsess about it.

OU-HSV
11/15/2009, 08:44 AM
Here's my thought about our "wildcat"/Bobcat..I like that name..formation
I said this before, after the BYU game. If I recall correctly we used the Wildcat only in the 1st half against BYU. After Sam got injured we abandoned it...which made zero sense because it actually seemed effective the few times we ran it vs. BYU.
Anyways, I say lets keep plopping the wildcat in there on occasion. It's a great way to get one our best athletes the ball more often and catch some teams off guard, especially if we're going to continue to run the no huddle.

kevpks
11/15/2009, 08:55 AM
Let's have Barry come in for a practice or two to teach a few wishbone plays out of the Bobcat. Who wouldn't love to see us score out of a wishbone formation against OSU?

MeMyself&Me
11/15/2009, 10:36 AM
When it was used in the first half of the BYU game, it made no sense to me whatsoever... took our heisman winner out of the play essentially. The fact they haven't used it since (until last night) has made no sense to me either. It seems like the perfect thing to do for the players we have healthy.

setem
11/15/2009, 10:37 AM

Yeah man! Because the Bobcat is a passing formation!

yermom
11/15/2009, 10:48 AM
+1 on Bobcat

i was also surprised it took this long to roll it out like that. the2nd half against BYU would have been my thought

btk108
11/15/2009, 10:49 AM
Leave Landry in.....and throw behind him....over his head or get him stretched out and leave him out to dry like he's doing to his recievers....maybe then he'll get the picture. Several passes last night would have been TD's if the recievers didnt' have to wait for the ball to get there.

CrimsonJim
11/15/2009, 10:57 AM
I'm all for the Wildcat/Bobcat/Horsecat...whatever they want to call it, and I think Demarco did a good job running it, but there was 2-3 times we could have made more yards if he would have handed the ball off to Broyles. Little wrinkles yet to be added and worked out for sure.

CrimsonJim
11/15/2009, 11:00 AM
Leave Landry in.....and throw behind him....over his head or get him stretched out and leave him out to dry like he's doing to his recievers....maybe then he'll get the picture. Several passes last night would have been TD's if the recievers didnt' have to wait for the ball to get there.

Yeah, that'll show him. :mad: Let's go and get our last good QB injured, just to top off an already injury riddled season. :rolleyes:

btk108
11/15/2009, 11:02 AM
Jim....didn't say anywhere I wanted him hurt....how stupid would that be?

TXBOOMER
11/15/2009, 11:04 AM
Sometimes it looks like the pu$$ycat. I do like it better than a typical handoff though because it gives the RB some options.

setem
11/15/2009, 11:10 AM

...pretty stupid! You said you wanted him left out to dry like he does his receivers so he will learn a lesson(brilliant btw). So you want him hit so he will change? HE WILL GET HURT! Don't try and cover up a dumb *** comment with another dumb *** comment!

Landry leaves his WR's out to dry on purpose! :rolleyes:

CrimsonJim
11/15/2009, 11:12 AM

VERY! I rest my case...

BillyBall
11/15/2009, 11:26 AM

That's when we need to move him to Guard.

Sabanball
11/15/2009, 11:30 AM
Difference between the bobcat and the wildcat, as I understand it...

bobcat--starting qb stays on the field, lines up either in the slot or as a WR

wildcat--starting qb leaves the field of play altogether, and is replaced with another player

CrimsonJim
11/15/2009, 11:31 AM

wildcat--starting qb leaves the field of play altogether, and is replaced with another player

Ahhhhh, I see. This dumb hillbilly wasn't aware of that, as we haven't used the *cat much around these parts until recently. Thanks for the info.

stoopified
11/15/2009, 11:34 AM
everybody has a wildcat. OUrs is called the BOBCAT.

ywiaIt needs to be renamed to the Boomercat.That said I am not a big fan of extensive use.It allows the other team to run blitz or stack the line aginst the run because Murray is NOT going to throw.

Sabanball
11/15/2009, 11:37 AM
It needs to be renamed to the Boomercat.That said I am not a big fan of extensive use.It allows the other team to run blitz or stack the line aginst the run because Murray is NOT going to throw.

I actually like it, in that, if nothing else, you're giving the opposing D one other thing to prepare for and messing with their heads a little bit.

yermom
11/15/2009, 11:38 AM

i think that's more of our offense than anything else. we like to not change personnel so that the defense can't sub

OUHOMER
11/15/2009, 11:42 AM
It needs to be renamed to the Boomercat.That said I am not a big fan of extensive use.It allows the other team to run blitz or stack the line aginst the run because Murray is NOT going to throw.

Why would you want to rain on my parade? ;)

OU-HSV
11/15/2009, 11:49 AM
i think that's more of our offense than anything else. we like to not change personnel so that the defense can't sub

That's what I was thinking. Since we're running the no huddle, we're leaving Landry on and trying to get that bobcat/wildcat snap off as quick as we can

SoonerObsession
11/15/2009, 02:26 PM
I wonder if Demarco can throw the ball worth a hoot? How awesome would that be to see DM take the snap, drop back, and take his pick of 3 wide open receivers down field? :D

soonerborn45
11/15/2009, 02:34 PM

You do know he threw for almost 400 yards and 5 touchdowns right? Why are you complaining about his game. He is the qb this season get over it. Just another example of a whining spoiled sooner fan. You know you give all the true fans a bad name. We won 65 to 10 and your b*tching about a couple of bad throws.

OU-HSV
11/15/2009, 02:44 PM
I wonder if Demarco can throw the ball worth a hoot? How awesome would that be to see DM take the snap, drop back, and take his pick of 3 wide open receivers down field? :D

Maybe your question is answered here ;)

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=2&articleid=20091115_92_B14_DeMarc212721

Murray did everything but throw, and that could be coming.

"I don't want to tip my hand," Broyles said with a smile, "but yeah, he can throw."

Really?

"No... I don't know. I can't tell you that," Murray said jokingly. "You'll see."

SoonerObsession
11/15/2009, 02:55 PM
Maybe your question is answered here ;)

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=2&articleid=20091115_92_B14_DeMarc212721

Nice find!

MeMyself&Me
11/15/2009, 03:03 PM

That's how I looked at it when I first heard about the Wildcat. I didn't really get it until I sat and watched a team use it quite a bit earlier this year and then I did some reading on it out of curiosity. It's not something that I think we should be running all the time but it has its merits and its place on this team as it is now.

OU-HSV
11/15/2009, 03:14 PM
Nice find!

thanks

rawlingsHOH
11/15/2009, 03:46 PM

Anyone can throw that jump-pass play used down by the goalline. That is good enough for me!

snp
11/15/2009, 04:43 PM

No, the Wildcat leaves the QB on the field. The OU version of the Wildcat doesn't have the unbalanced line (Tackle, tackle, center, guard, guard, tight end) formation but a lot of teams aren't following that principle of the Wildcat anymore.

I wanted to see the jetsweep handoff but I don't know if the back had the option. All the playcalls may have just been direct snaps with the motion man as a diversion. But I don't really know.

OU-HSV
11/15/2009, 05:19 PM
Anyone can throw that jump-pass play used down by the goalline. That is good enough for me!

This is where you're wrong. Only Tim T. Messiah himself can throw that pass anyone who says otherwise will be struck by lightning. :D ;)

CrimsonJim
11/15/2009, 06:17 PM
http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/fighting/fighting_88.gif

delhalew
11/15/2009, 06:18 PM
We need to decide on what to call it...don't we?

OUHOMER
11/15/2009, 06:50 PM
We need to decide on what to call it...don't we?

BOBCAT,, pay attention damn it ;)

setem
11/15/2009, 07:07 PM
This is where you're wrong. Only Tim T. Messiah himself can throw that pass anyone who says otherwise will be struck by lightning. :D ;)

Oh you poor bastard! Do you not remember Miami dumping one into the EZ for a cheap 6?

OU-HSV
11/15/2009, 07:19 PM
Oh you poor bastard! Do you not remember Miami dumping one into the EZ for a cheap 6?

Haha. Just adding a dash of more tebow humor.
Of course I remember that. That p*ssed me off too