PDA

View Full Version : political correctness

delhalew
11/14/2009, 12:35 PM
I've long believed that the idea that we should all strive to be as PC as possible, makes us weak and pathetic, not progressive and enlightened.

This has seeped so far into the structure of our society, I believe it has weakened us in ways we can't even fathom.

Here are some article on the more obvious ways it has affected us.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2385732/posts

http://www.rightsidenews.com/editorial-archives/will-political-correctness-destroy-america.html

SanJoaquinSooner
11/14/2009, 01:49 PM
I've long believed that the idea that we should all strive to be as PC as possible...

who advocates that?

delhalew
11/14/2009, 02:03 PM
Most people. On an unconscious level. You see it every time there a conversation about what we are supposed to be calling <fillintheblank> people these days. We wait for our vocabulary to be downloaded from the liberal mothership. Every time a midget is called a little person a puppy dies.

LosAngelesSooner
11/14/2009, 02:20 PM
First off, I think "Political Correctness" has become an empty term that is used as a rallying cry for the far right much in the same way as "The Liberal Media" and "Gay Agenda."

As with anything, I think being PC is wrong when taken to the extreme. Should it be okay for me to call a black person the "N word?" HELLZ no. But should a black person suddenly get upset that I referred to them as "black people?" HELLZ no.

Another example: The guy who tried to blow up the WTC with the car bomb in the basement? Terrorist scumbag who needs to be executed twice. The guy who went berserk and started the shootout at Ft. Hood? Psychotic scumbag who needs to be executed twice. That's not being "PC", it's just defining things correctly. To add on to the example: The two *******s who were sniping people in D.C.? Cold Blooded Mass Murdering scumbags who need to be executed twice.

See?

I think being COURTEOUS, being RESPECTFUL, being enlightened is all what "being PC" was originally intended to be. But there are ways to tell the truth which achieve both the goal of remaining respectful and enlightened while still telling the truth and remaining factually accurate.

It just requires a little more work and nuance, which most people in America are too lazy to do.

LosAngelesSooner
11/14/2009, 02:21 PM
"Midget" IS kind of an ugly word. And "Little People" really IS both more accurate and more respectful.

Just sayin'.

Curly Bill
11/14/2009, 02:33 PM
Buncha dwarfs.

delhalew
11/14/2009, 02:41 PM
I think back to folks I know from a pre PC era. The firefighter who will call every offensive name he can think of, but doesn't care what color you are when he's risking his *** to save yours. The uncles and grandfathers that remind me of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

When you spend to much time trying to figure out how to not offend people, its easy to lose focus on the task at hand and even your own identity.

Think about it like this. People in politics and on the evening don't speak like the normal people we know. It's all focus grouped and tested to squeeze by the standards put in place by the PC crowd.

What is sad is when you notice the folks you know have begun to sound just like these zombies.

Curly Bill
11/14/2009, 02:43 PM
...and by the way: the TV show with the midget family on it...

...ghey!

delhalew
11/14/2009, 02:44 PM
...and by the way: the TV show with the midget family on it...

...ghey!

Every time I see my wife watching that show, I want a divorce.

Curly Bill
11/14/2009, 02:47 PM
Every time I see my wife watching that show, I want a divorce.

Rightfully so...rightfully so...

MR2-Sooner86
11/14/2009, 03:02 PM
First off, I think "Political Correctness" has become an empty term that is used as a rallying cry for the far right much in the same way as "The Liberal Media" and "Gay Agenda."

As with anything, I think being PC is wrong when taken to the extreme. Should it be okay for me to call a black person the "N word?" HELLZ no. But should a black person suddenly get upset that I referred to them as "black people?" HELLZ no.

Another example: The guy who tried to blow up the WTC with the car bomb in the basement? Terrorist scumbag who needs to be executed twice. The guy who went berserk and started the shootout at Ft. Hood? Psychotic scumbag who needs to be executed twice. That's not being "PC", it's just defining things correctly. To add on to the example: The two *******s who were sniping people in D.C.? Cold Blooded Mass Murdering scumbags who need to be executed twice.

See?

I think being COURTEOUS, being RESPECTFUL, being enlightened is all what "being PC" was originally intended to be. But there are ways to tell the truth which achieve both the goal of remaining respectful and enlightened while still telling the truth and remaining factually accurate.

It just requires a little more work and nuance, which most people in America are too lazy to do.

Everybody pay attention here. LAS just showed us how not to act so be sure you get that right :D

Curly Bill
11/14/2009, 03:05 PM
Acting is what LAS does, only recently he's broken from his: I'm really not a lib, but can't stand the current batch of Repubs routine, to an all-out love fest with all things liberal.

Ain't that right LAS? Just come clean and admit who you really are. ;)

SanJoaquinSooner
11/14/2009, 03:55 PM
Most people. On an unconscious level.

One of your references in your original post defines PC as:

Political Correctness (PC) is acceptance of the notion that particular ideas, expressions and behavior, previously legal and acceptable, should be forbidden, first by the public at large and then by law.

If "most people" believe that "we should all strive to be as PC as possible", then you are claiming that a majority of people would want the use of the word "midget" outlawed.

Is that what you really believe?

seriously, the use of the phrase "Politically correctness" is a way for conservatives to whine about spek. As the New Republic described it, "it's a phrase used mostly by conservatives who are seeking victim status."

"Poor me, a liberal negged me!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

WAAA!:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:WAAA!

delhalew
11/14/2009, 04:45 PM
One of your references in your original post defines PC as:

If "most people" believe that "we should all strive to be as PC as possible", then you are claiming that a majority of people would want the use of the word "midget" outlawed.

Is that what you really believe?

seriously, the use of the phrase "Politically correctness" is a way for conservatives to whine about spek. As the New Republic described it, "it's a phrase used mostly by conservatives who are seeking victim status."

"Poor me, a liberal negged me!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

WAAA!:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:WAAA!

I certainly wish it were no more insidious than that.

1890MilesToNorman
11/14/2009, 04:59 PM
How bout them retards? I've read a few of them already today.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/14/2009, 05:07 PM
How bout them retards? I've read a few of them already today.
Damned Maniac.

Jerk
11/14/2009, 05:29 PM
Google 'Frankfurt School' for a history of political correctness and its origins. It goes back to the 1930's.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/14/2009, 05:59 PM
[I got nothing]I certainly wish it were no more insidious than that. [/I got nothing]

1890MilesToNorman
11/14/2009, 06:09 PM
What would be the "correct" classification for this guy?

http://weblogs.ryerson.ca/roller/jrn112/resource/Jon_picking_his_nose.jpg

delhalew
11/14/2009, 06:49 PM

Make a point I consider to be valid and I'll discuss it. I'm not interested the "conservatives are titty babies" argument.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/14/2009, 07:29 PM
Make a point I consider to be valid and I'll discuss it. I'm not interested the "conservatives are titty babies" argument.

You claimed that "Most People" believe we should "strive to be as PC as possible." Where is your evidence?

Who wants to outlaw the use of the word "midget?" Cite your source.

It's nothing more than you wanting to use the word "midget" without getting negged.... conservatives seeking immunity from criticism.

Or is there more to this. Did you get fired for calling a customer "ugly?"

Half a Hundred
11/14/2009, 10:20 PM
God forbid we be considerate of others.

Jeez, my grandma used to smack the hell out of me when I was disrespectful toward other people. Now, saying that being disrespectful toward other people is not a good move somehow is a pinko commie plot. What the hell happened to us?

delhalew
11/14/2009, 11:24 PM
Why don't you all try to miss the point a little completely. It's almost like we are discussing the same topic.

LosAngelesSooner
11/15/2009, 01:22 AM
I think back to folks I know from a pre PC era. The firefighter who will call every offensive name he can think of, but doesn't care what color you are when he's risking his *** to save yours. The uncles and grandfathers that remind me of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

When you spend to much time trying to figure out how to not offend people, its easy to lose focus on the task at hand and even your own identity.

Think about it like this. People in politics and on the evening don't speak like the normal people we know. It's all focus grouped and tested to squeeze by the standards put in place by the PC crowd.

What is sad is when you notice the folks you know have begun to sound just like these zombies.Do you think firefighters nowadays are any less likely to pull your *** from a fire?

Or do you think them not calling you a silly wop/mick/limey bastard slows them down?

LosAngelesSooner
11/15/2009, 01:23 AM
Acting is what LAS does, only recently he's broken from his: I'm really not a lib, but can't stand the current batch of Repubs routine, to an all-out love fest with all things liberal.

:rolleyes: ...to so many things in this post...

MR2-Sooner86
11/15/2009, 12:22 PM

**** that.

Example, next month I will be saying "Merry Christmas" and if somebody is offended that I didn't say "Happy Holidays" they can lick my balls.

"B..b..but what about the Jews?"

I hope they have a Happy Hanukkah. I have no problem saying it. I also have no problem if they tell me that. I think of it as a nice gesture.

Seriously, some people make mountains out of mole hills.

yermom
11/15/2009, 12:29 PM
surely you see the difference between a person saying Merry Christmas and a business saying it? seems there is a lot of mountain building on both sides

that being said, i still think "African American" is a dumb convention

delhalew
11/15/2009, 12:38 PM
African American is so stupid. Obama is one of the relatively few african americans among our black population.

The black half of his heritage is a Kenyan father. If you come from 5 or 6 generations of black folks from Alabama you are an american.

No immigration took place in the recent past.

MR2-Sooner86
11/15/2009, 12:56 PM
surely you see the difference between a person saying Merry Christmas and a business saying it?

I see it as the same thing. What's wrong with a business saying that if they sell CHRISTMAS lights, CHRISTMAS trees, CHRISTMAS stockings, CHRISTMAS books, CHRISTMAS costumes, and all the other crap associated with Christmas? Seriously, who are they offending? Obviously if they sell the stuff and people buy it then most people don't give a rat's ***.

that being said, i still think "African American" is a dumb convention

Funny you say that because here's something along those lines.

New York bans the word '******' (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1544390/New-York-bans-the-word-******.html)

In a move which was immediately attacked by some young blacks, the city's council has voted unanimously to approve a resolution calling for New Yorkers, and hopefully Americans in general, to understand the word's racist origin and stop using it.
The ban — aimed primarily at young black people who use the word as a term of endearment — is symbolic and will not be enforced.
Supporters said the word had historically been a derogatory epithet against blacks but had recently been adopted by black entertainers, particularly rappers.

So wait, blacks can say it but if a stupid honky cracker uses it then it's bad? Hmmmm

yermom
11/15/2009, 04:20 PM
that line is old and tired. not that i don't particularly agree with it...

the difference between you and a business is that you aren't trying to sell things as a person. if you can be more inclusive, why not be? sounds like a business decision to appeal to Jews and Kwanzaans or whatever. it's not like it's some law that makes them do that.

if you knew someone was Jewish would you wish them a Merry Christmas?

MR2-Sooner86
11/15/2009, 04:30 PM
if you knew someone was Jewish would you wish them a Merry Christmas?

Nope. I'd tell them they killed the reason for the season ;)

SanJoaquinSooner
11/15/2009, 04:31 PM
**** that.

Example, next month I will be saying "Merry Christmas" and if somebody is offended that I didn't say "Happy Holidays" they can lick my balls.

I hope they have a Happy Hanukkah. I have no problem saying it. I also have no problem if they tell me that. I think of it as a nice gesture.

1. Who says you can't say "Merry Christmas?"

2. Why do some act like a bug crawled up their a$$ when a business says "Happy Holidays?" Shouldn't those running the business have that right?

tommieharris91
11/15/2009, 04:32 PM
Nope. I'd tell them they killed the reason for the season ;)

Annnnd to jump this thread way off topic, the reason we are Christians to begin with isn't because of Christmas, it's because of Easter.

MR2-Sooner86
11/15/2009, 04:42 PM
1. Who says you can't say "Merry Christmas?"

2. Why do some act like a bug crawled up their a$$ when a business says "Happy Holidays?" Shouldn't those running the business have that right?

1. Nobody yet but I've had people tell me they've said it and it "upset" folks before so who knows.

2. Shouldn't they have the right to also say "Merry Christmas" like everybody does?

Annnnd to jump this thread way off topic, the reason we are Christians to begin with isn't because of Christmas, it's because of Easter.

I know that but it's still funny to say.

LosAngelesSooner
11/15/2009, 05:18 PM
**** that.

HORRIBLE EXAMPLE.

This isn't being PC. This is being STUPID. Nobody gets offended if you wish them a Merry Christmas. I live in a town filled with Jews. We wish each other Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah all the time.

Anyone who would get offended by a nice sentiment is a ****ing idiot.

Fraggle145
11/15/2009, 05:50 PM
I think I business should be able to cater to whomever it wants to...

So dont get all pissy if you were to see a business that only said happy hanukah or whatever... because they didnt include your ****ing holiday.

And I think if you get pissed off at a business for saying Happy Holidays you are a moron.

This whole thing is dumb. The funniest part about it most of the people in an uproar about their respective religious nuts not getting sucked arent even regular patrons/practitioners of said respective religion.

Also to all the PC bastards telling me not to say "Home of the Sooners" at the end of the national anthem, you can suck my balls.

soonerbrat
11/15/2009, 05:59 PM
*yawn*

PhilTLL
11/15/2009, 06:15 PM
Also to all the PC bastards telling me not to say "Home of the Sooners" at the end of the national anthem, you can suck my balls.

Yes x1000. This is blatant "political correctness" but the people who would normally bitch about that don't seem to mind when the politics are their own. I also tend to think America is about a frankly audacious level of freedom that we're supposedly secure and confident enough to uphold, not a set of untouchable symbols and jingoistic convictions apparently so shaky they can be upset by changing a single word in a song. But hey.

I also think "God forbid we be considerate of others/**** that" is my new favorite quoted exchange from here.

Half a Hundred
11/15/2009, 06:21 PM
You think that maybe a business says "happy holidays" not so much because they're cowering under a nefarious plot to control minds, but rather because a potential customer might be offended by it, meaning a reduction in revenue streams?

Face it, if saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" means more money for a company, then that's what they're going to do. Likewise, if another thinks it can cash in on the niche that would spend more money at a place that says "Merry Christmas", then that's what they'll do.

Fraggle145
11/15/2009, 07:31 PM
You think that maybe a business says "happy holidays" not so much because they're cowering under a nefarious plot to control minds, but rather because a potential customer might be offended by it, meaning a reduction in revenue streams?

Face it, if saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" means more money for a company, then that's what they're going to do. Likewise, if another thinks it can cash in on the niche that would spend more money at a place that says "Merry Christmas", then that's what they'll do.

...and BINGO was his name-o

tommieharris91
11/15/2009, 08:12 PM

It's amazing what capitalists come up with.

Half a Hundred
11/15/2009, 09:23 PM
It's amazing what capitalists come up with.

Yup. Anyone who thinks a business (particularly a publicly-traded corporation) has any intention other than maximizing its revenue/profits is deluding himself.

starclassic tama
11/16/2009, 12:15 AM

chase daniel

MrJimBeam
11/16/2009, 09:04 AM

Aggie

Or the PC term Agro-American.

soonerbrat
11/16/2009, 02:03 PM
I think I business should be able to cater to whomever it wants to...

So dont get all pissy if you were to see a business that only said happy hanukah or whatever... because they didnt include your ****ing holiday.

And I think if you get pissed off at a business for saying Happy Holidays you are a moron.

This whole thing is dumb. The funniest part about it most of the people in an uproar about their respective religious nuts not getting sucked arent even regular patrons/practitioners of said respective religion.

the *yawn* was not for your post about the National Anthem at the games. I hate that crap too. it makes me rilly rilly mad.

Soonrboy
11/16/2009, 02:30 PM
Being politically correct makes my head hurt cause I have to think and stuff. I hate that.

Pricetag
11/16/2009, 03:56 PM
The best thing about politically correct folks is that they won't tell you what an ******* you are.

85Sooner
11/16/2009, 04:00 PM
Political Correctness just got 13 of our soldiers killed.
The guy was a radical
The FBI new it
They new he was in touch with th Imam in yeman connected to 9/11
They new it, did nothing about it so as not to be seen as profiling.

LosAngelesSooner
11/16/2009, 04:18 PM
The guy was a radical
The FBI new it
They new it, did nothing about it so as not to be seen as profiling.What a ****ing stupid post.

Political correctness had NOTHING to do with that tragedy.

Hatred, craziness and evil got our soldiers killed, not being considerate of other people.

What a bunch of ****ing idiotic ****. Jesus ****ing Christ...

85Sooner
11/16/2009, 05:33 PM
What a ****ing stupid post.

Hatred, craziness and evil got our soldiers killed, not being considerate of other people.

I am not surprised you don't get it. Just leave me on ignore.

Sooner24
11/17/2009, 07:32 PM

He told the lie so many times he really thinks it's true.

Sooner24
12/4/2009, 09:49 AM
Boy and girls LameAsS is back!!! :D

obsess much? :rolleyes: - LAS

Sooner24
1/6/2010, 11:51 PM
Dance LameAsS Dance. :D

Wah... - LAS

Petro-Sooner
1/7/2010, 12:03 AM
How the hell did I miss this thread?

continue......

picasso
1/7/2010, 12:03 AM
The guy was a radical
The FBI new it
They new it, did nothing about it so as not to be seen as profiling.

I don't really see anything that's not true here.

King Barry's Back
1/7/2010, 12:21 AM

Jeez, my grandma used to smack the hell out of me when I was disrespectful toward other people. Now, saying that being disrespectful toward other people is not a good move somehow is a pinko commie plot. What the hell happened to us?

Most of you are correct that the right uses "pc" too often w/o enough clear definition. (The reason that they do this is not ignorance or stupidity, it is because doing so suits their political purposes.)

But I think there is more to it than Half a Hundred recognizes, as well.

Best example I can come up with is the evolution of the accepted, non-offensive term used to describe the race of people who originated in Africa, and were held as slaves in early days of the United States.

Just before I was born, the accepted term was "colored," as in NAACP. Then, by my birth, the term has become "negro" -- as in United Negro College Fund.

Then, when I was a kid, "negro" and "colored" were thrown out because they had alledgedly been created by "white people" and were thus deemed oppressive. The answer was the word "black," which seemed descriptive, and at least to me, really carried an identity with it.

That was the word that the activists from that community used to describe themselves, and the name that they demanded others use as well. So I grew up using "black."

Now, we are told, we must called them the bureaucratic-sounding "African-American," or we are being offensively insensitive to that group of people.

Really, I have had enough. I can't help but get the feeling that somebody, somewhere, is trying to coin new names in order to get themselves some attention and maybe some money or political influence.

I think it's time to call a halt. I mean, we have to call them something, why keep looking for some hidden offense in their.

One other addition -- Why are we, Americans, always being told how to pronounce the names of other countries/cities IN ENGLISH? Peking is still Peking in French and German, but now WE have to say Beijing. And for the country in Africa, we can't say NIGH - jer anymore, we have to say KNEE - jh- air.

Does anyone understand that KNEE-jh-air is French, and the French were brutal Colonial oppressors, themselves?

King Barry's Back
1/7/2010, 12:28 AM
What a ****ing stupid post.

I am not sure that you can claim that PCism got those people killed. It's not as straight a line as 85 makes it, but there is a real concern in the law enforcement community that going after members of minority groups will bring retribution against them.

To go back a little further, following 9/11, then-President Bush ordered the FBI to begin bugging mosques if terrorists were suspected to be meeting there. (Before that order, religious institutions were blanket immune from listening in by law enforcement.)

The FBI basically refused, because the officers involved felt like eventually the administration would change, and they would face personal humiliation and ruin, and possibly imprisonment as thanks for their work. (That was worked out, but it illustrates the mindset.)

Collier11
1/7/2010, 01:26 AM
"Midget" IS kind of an ugly word. And "Little People" really IS both more accurate and more respectful.

Just sayin'.

Political correctness is a large part of the downfall of this country, this country has become soft and babied and every person that has their feelings hurt, no matter how ridiculous, they get their way.

A common rule is that you should just respect others first and foremost but if you say something that happens to hurt someones feelings and they want to make a big deal about it, who the hell cares

Fraggle145
1/7/2010, 02:17 AM
**** off. dip****

Collier11
1/7/2010, 02:31 AM
Thats why I love you...BONER

Fraggle145
1/7/2010, 02:46 AM
Bonerrific. :O

Crucifax Autumn
1/7/2010, 02:47 AM
Just call me "Fat Honkey Man".

Breadburner
1/7/2010, 08:22 AM
There is one retard in this thread I don't miss.....

fadada1
1/7/2010, 08:44 AM
you're black. i'm white.

you're no more "AFRICAN-american", than i am "EUROPEAN-american".

get over it.

***this argument can be used for any other "group" we feel that needs a politically correct label***

SCOUT
1/7/2010, 11:12 AM
I have always loved how people from South America and the Caribbean get lumped in as African-American if their skin is a certain color, when people from Egypt are technically (according to the EEOC) white. This being the case despite the fact that they are actually from AFRICA!

*If you are struggling with the middle eastern reference, please feel free to use South Africa instead. ;)

MrJimBeam
1/7/2010, 12:25 PM
Black’ is beautiful, &c.
By Jay Nordlinger

As I often, maybe too often, point out, we Americans are seldom more ridiculous than in our language, and we are never more ridiculous than when our language is racial. You may remember an instance from the 2002 Winter Olympics. I have written about it more than once. An American woman won a gold medal in the bobsled, and she was the first black woman ever to win a gold medal in the Winter Olympics.

But NBC, the network covering the Games, had no way of communicating this fact to its viewers. Why? Because it had banned, at least de facto, the word “black.” So the NBC people were reduced to saying, “She’s the first African-American woman from any country to win a gold medal.” Yes, and that includes the African-American women in France, Nigeria, Australia, and so on.

Why am I bringing this up again now? A couple of nights ago, I sat down to read a review of a book about Booker T. Washington in The New Republic. It began, “Once the most famous and influential African American in the United States (and probably the world), Booker T. Washington . . .”

Oh, come on. When will this nonsense stop? I will suggest when: when black Americans, in significant numbers, step forward and say, “Oh, come on. If you are going through these linguistic contortions for our benefit, no thank you. ‘Not in my name,’ in other words. The word ‘black’ is not radioactive, and it would be nice if white liberals stopped treating it as such.”

Nowhere is American immaturity more manifest than in matters racial. Environmental policy — including a quasi-religious stance against exploring and drilling for oil in ANWR — is possibly second. I also think of America’s strange, perverse aversion to nuclear power. Isn’t it kind of embarrassing that the French are more mature than we?

Incidentally, I interviewed Condoleezza Rice back in 2002, when she was national security adviser. She told me she preferred “black” to “African American.” Why? There were a couple of reasons: “Black” is parallel to “white.” And black Americans have been part of the American story from the very beginning. How odd to pick up “hyphenated Americanism” so late, you know?

One more quick one, before I get off this topic: I was perusing old Impromptus columns, via Google, and found that I commented on a USA Today article that told us that B. Smith, the businesswoman, had placed on the top of her Christmas tree an “African-American angel.” I found it interesting that her angel had a nationality. What are white angels? American, Danish, Russian . . .?

An end to nonsense would be awfully nice indeed.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/7/2010, 01:30 PM
Most of you are correct that the right uses "pc" too often w/o enough clear definition. (The reason that they do this is not ignorance or stupidity, it is because doing so suits their political purposes.)

But I think there is more to it than Half a Hundred recognizes, as well.

Best example I can come up with is the evolution of the accepted, non-offensive term used to describe the race of people who originated in Africa, and were held as slaves in early days of the United States.

Just before I was born, the accepted term was "colored," as in NAACP. Then, by my birth, the term has become "negro" -- as in United Negro College Fund.

Then, when I was a kid, "negro" and "colored" were thrown out because they had alledgedly been created by "white people" and were thus deemed oppressive. The answer was the word "black," which seemed descriptive, and at least to me, really carried an identity with it.

That was the word that the activists from that community used to describe themselves, and the name that they demanded others use as well. So I grew up using "black."

Now, we are told, we must called them the bureaucratic-sounding "African-American," or we are being offensively insensitive to that group of people.

Really, I have had enough. I can't help but get the feeling that somebody, somewhere, is trying to coin new names in order to get themselves some attention and maybe some money or political influence.

I think it's time to call a halt. I mean, we have to call them something, why keep looking for some hidden offense in their.

One other addition -- Why are we, Americans, always being told how to pronounce the names of other countries/cities IN ENGLISH? Peking is still Peking in French and German, but now WE have to say Beijing. And for the country in Africa, we can't say NIGH - jer anymore, we have to say KNEE - jh- air.

Does anyone understand that KNEE-jh-air is French, and the French were brutal Colonial oppressors, themselves?

Dude, I am almost certain that you have the highest word/post count on this board.

Just an observation. Not meaning to offend.

Sooner24
1/7/2010, 05:46 PM
Who's controling who? You're the one coming on here just to neg me so who's the obsessed one? It's you LameAsS :D

Dance LameAsS Dance! :D

So easy to control you. - LAS

Collier11
1/7/2010, 05:48 PM
you girls are cute

Fraggle145
1/7/2010, 06:12 PM
you girls are cute

About as cute as a punch in the taint.

Like any of us gives a good flying **** that they are having a neg war with each other.

Collier11
1/7/2010, 06:24 PM
im sure if you looked at any 5 people on this board at any random time, LAS has negged them 100 times and told them how smart he was

Sooner24
1/8/2010, 01:00 AM
Looks like I'm controling you LameAsS. :D

You're too easy to control, ya big crybaby. - LAS

Sooner24
1/8/2010, 05:24 PM
The fact you dug up a thread that hadn't been posted on since November 17th to neg me shows how obsessed you are with me LameAsS :D

Maybe Kabookie is right you are a stalker! :eek:

Waaaahhhh. LMFAO! - LAS

Collier11
1/8/2010, 06:03 PM
I say ban the both of you

Sooner24
1/8/2010, 07:29 PM
I say ban the both of you

I say kiss my butt.

Sooner24
1/8/2010, 07:39 PM
Is that right LameAsS? :D

I still don't get where you think I'm crying or comlaining I'm just posting what you send to me. :P

Told you. Nobody likes a crybaby and complaining about spek is for pussies. When will you learn? - LAS

Sooner24
1/8/2010, 07:41 PM
Wow you have turned up the heat LameAsS!! :rolleyes:

Can't take the heat? LOL - LAS

Sooner24
1/8/2010, 07:44 PM
You can do better then that LameAsS. :D

Wahhhh. LOL - LAS

Sooner24
1/8/2010, 07:45 PM
Like my new sig LameAsS? :D

LMFAO! You're too freakin' easy! LOL - LAS

LosAngelesSooner
1/8/2010, 08:07 PM
You really should stop complaining about spek, name calling and using sigs as flame bait.

I'll just keep negging your posts that keep breaking board rules. ;)

Sooner24
1/9/2010, 08:19 AM
You really should stop complaining about spek, name calling and using sigs as flame bait.

I'll just keep negging your posts that keep breaking board rules. ;)

I'll just keep posting what you put in spek and you can just keep negging away LameAsS. :D

Obsess much? - LAS

Yes you do LameAsS. :P

Sooner24
1/9/2010, 10:10 AM
If you say so LameAsS. :D

Bip! -LAS

Sooner24
1/9/2010, 10:20 AM
Back at ya LameAsS. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Bip! -LAS

LosAngelesSooner
1/9/2010, 10:39 AM
Dude...you need to give it up.

The funny thing is, I haven't negged you once in at least a week. Not personally, that is. :D

Anyway, you tire me. I'm putting you on ignore. You'll be having a few days off from the board soon, anyway.

StoopTroup
1/9/2010, 12:30 PM
leohcvmf8kM

Pricetag
1/9/2010, 05:34 PM
One other addition -- Why are we, Americans, always being told how to pronounce the names of other countries/cities IN ENGLISH? Peking is still Peking in French and German, but now WE have to say Beijing.
I've never understood why different languages have names for other countries that are not what the folks living there call it.

soonerscuba
1/9/2010, 06:07 PM
I've never understood why different languages have names for other countries that are not what the folks living there call it.A whole host of reasons, ranging from imperialist snobbery to the fact that if a country uses a different alphabet to communicate it becomes necessary for we English speakers to anglicanize the name of things because there are certain sounds we just can't make (there's a reason why Frech people say "z" as opposed to "the"). Also, it extends way, way beyond countries and into pretty much all nouns, which English is crazy about. For example a pig and pork are two words with two meanings to us, to much of the earth's population they simply refer to the same thing thus only have one word for the the whole of the animal as well as it's flesh.

The most famous example of a country with a lot of names is Germany. It derives from the Roman concept of Germania, the French groupings of people referred to as Allemanni and a rough confederation of people who actually lived there referred to themselves as Teuton which morphed into Deustch. Luckily for the US, a literal translation is pretty easy.

Chuck Bao
1/9/2010, 06:12 PM
I've never understood why different languages have names for other countries that are not what the folks living there call it.

I've often wondered that as well.

Thailand is called "Pratet Thai" in Thai language. Thais call the US "Saha Raat" which literally translates into united states/provinces. Japan is "Yee-boon", China "Jin", Korea "Gao-lee", England "Ang-grit" and France "Farang-set".

If I correctly remember my Cantonese (I don't speak any Mandarin), Cantonese call China "Chong gwok" which translates as central people/nation and the US as "Mei gwok" or beautiful people/nation. The characters and meaning would be the same in Mandarin but the pronouciation different.

Chuck Bao
1/9/2010, 06:18 PM
A whole host of reasons, ranging from imperialist snobbery to the fact that if a country uses a different alphabet to communicate it becomes necessary for we English speakers to anglicanize the name of things because there are certain sounds we just can't make (there's a reason why Frech people say "z" as opposed to "the"). Also, it extends way, way beyond countries and into pretty much all nouns, which English is crazy about. For example a pig and pork are two words with two meanings to us, to much of the earth's population they simply refer to the same thing thus only have one word for the the whole of the animal as well as it's flesh.

The most famous example of a country with a lot of names is Germany. It derives from the Roman concept of Germania, the French groupings of people referred to as Allemanni and a rough confederation of people who actually lived there referred to themselves as Teuton which morphed into Deustch. Luckily for the US, a literal translation is pretty easy.

Interesting. Thanks for posting that.

StoopTroup
1/9/2010, 09:58 PM
Here's an example of PC....

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=6132312&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

C&CDean
1/9/2010, 10:33 PM
I've often wondered that as well.

Thailand is called "Pratet Thai" in Thai language. Thais call the US "Saha Raat" which literally translates into united states/provinces. Japan is "Yee-boon", China "Jin", Korea "Gao-lee", England "Ang-grit" and France "Farang-set".

If I correctly remember my Cantonese (I don't speak any Mandarin), Cantonese call China "Chong gwok" which translates as central people/nation and the US as "Mei gwok" or beautiful people/nation. The characters and meaning would be the same in Mandarin but the pronouciation different.

When all is said and done, the only thing that matters is what we call them in English.

"Saha Raat" better mean the best ****ing nation on Earth by God.

Sooner24
1/10/2010, 03:54 PM
Dude...you need to give it up.

The funny thing is, I haven't negged you once in at least a week. Not personally, that is. :D

Anyway, you tire me. I'm putting you on ignore. You'll be having a few days off from the board soon, anyway.

Don't quit now. :pop:

Chuck Bao
1/10/2010, 04:26 PM
When all is said and done, the only thing that matters is what we call them in English.

"Saha Raat" better mean the best ****ing nation on Earth by God.

There is a pretty obvious contradiction there. You DO care what they call us. But, I am going to need time to translate "the best ****ing nation on Earth by God".

Ahem...do you mean ****ing nation or ****ing nation by God? Do you want to add punctuation to make it clearer?