PDA

View Full Version : Leach reflects on 99 Sooners...

rawlingsHOH
11/13/2009, 05:55 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=2&articleid=20091113_92_B1_CahMke203319

"We needed a quarterback, and we went out and got Josh Heupel," Leach recalled. "He was a coach's kid and a real sharp guy. Didn't have a real strong arm, but he was a real accurate guy.

"I'll tell you what was so impressive about Josh. He had to step in there among a bunch of strangers, as a (junior-college transfer), and go out there and spearhead the work in the offseason. He was able to jump-start everything and get us a good start out of the blocks, which I think was crucial."

"Fagan was a real fast guy," Leach says. "He would drop balls until he got into an important play in the game, and then he would make the catch. Trent Smith looked like a specimen from the beginning — a good, natural tight end with great hands. Savage had an incredible amount of talent, although he could get distracted at times.

"Jarrail Jackson was probably our steadiest, most consistent guy. You could always rely on him. And then the other guy, Brandon Daniels, was probably the most explosive guy. He had a unique combination of speed and strength."

NormanPride
11/13/2009, 06:02 PM
I loved watching that team. We were winning about like we are now, but they were so much more fun because it was so refreshing to finally be well-coached.

rainiersooner
11/13/2009, 06:31 PM
"Every time I'm in Norman, I can see my old house from the highway," Leach said. "I would have stayed there forever. I had Barry Switzer giving me football lessons at Othello's. It was a great experience."

I love that quote.

Boooom!
11/13/2009, 08:21 PM
I loved watching that team. We were winning about like we are now, but they were so much more fun because it was so refreshing to finally be well-coached.

Perhaps we need this down time to get humble and grateful again.

We should cheer and encourage our team now more then ever.