PDA

View Full Version : Is The Big 12 Football League Morphing Into the Old SWC?

FaninAma
11/13/2009, 10:04 AM
It sure seems that way. The rush to mediocrity has been especially significant in the north but is now creeping onto the South.

Funny how things work out sometimes. I think Nebraska was the only shcool that understood what was about to happen to the league.

Meanwhile teams that used to be in the SWC and didn't get an invite from the Big 12 seem to be doing better than they traditionally did in the SWC.....TCU, Rice, Houston. Only SMU is still lagging thanks to the repurcussions of the death penalty they received while a member of the SWC.

tator
11/13/2009, 10:18 AM
This year has been down. The last few years, the Big 12 has been bery, bery powerful with quite a few highly ranked teams.

batonrougesooner
11/13/2009, 10:19 AM
One year doesn't make a trend.

I'll reserve judgement.

TexasLidig8r
11/13/2009, 10:54 AM
How quickly we forget 2008...

Texas
You Hillbillies
Okie Lite
Misery
Sand aggy

At one time.. were all ranked in the top 10.

Kansas... ranked in the top 15 last year.

Last year, the Big XII was haled as the toughest conference... and how many schools last year would have run the gauntlet of the Red River War, Misery and Okie Lite... then sand aggy.. in 4 straight weeks without a loss?

This year is the anomoly.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/13/2009, 10:56 AM
This year has been down. The last few years, the Big 12 has been bery, bery powerful with quite a few highly ranked teams.

Dontcha mean "Barry, Barry powerful?"

FaninAma
11/13/2009, 11:04 AM

Besides OU, Texas and occasionally TT and osu who has represented in the Big 12 on a consistent basis.

And check OU's record away from Owen field since 2004.

Also, the Big 12 defenses were pretty much exposed in the bowl games last year.

NormanPride
11/13/2009, 11:18 AM
Kansas has come on strong, and KState was good until Snyder left. Colorado just needs a good coach because they always have good players... Mizzou was excellent until this year.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/13/2009, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't say Rice has done anything...They are perpetual losers. Houston under Sumlin has found traction. TCU is a BCS buster or close to it...

Crucifax Autumn
11/13/2009, 11:58 AM
Let's slam the conference just for fun!!!!!

wow...

TheHumanAlphabet
11/13/2009, 12:02 PM
Hell why not? we're slammin' everything else... ;)

soonervegas
11/13/2009, 12:16 PM
Nebraska, A&M, and Colorado mired in mediocrity does not help the conference. Each of those schools has no business winning less than 8-9 games per year.

Scott D
11/13/2009, 12:20 PM
Fan, let's be fair...Conference USA isn't exactly tough...not sure if I'd really be comparing the Big-12 to Conference USA at all.

Another aspect that I've been thinking about of late has little to do with Texas. We know that the 85 scholarship limit has increased parity in CFB in general. It's more a case of where even between mid major conferences and power conferences the difference between the 1's isn't as pronounced as it used to be. The difference is still the fact that the power conferences are generally able to have better talent in the depth department. Now, the obvious difference is that the lower tier teams generally have lesser talent, but the power schools are no longer getting ALL the top talent, that talent is spread everywhere.

I guess to a point really, you could blame OU and Georgia for part of the reason that certain schools don't dominate. And you could blame the smaller schools for pushing for scholarship limits to give them a chance to recruit.

Maybe TV revenue is completely to blame for the state of college football, and no individual university no matter how much one may dislike them is anywhere near powerful enough to destroy everything.

rainiersooner
11/13/2009, 12:23 PM
Fire the commissioner!!!

soonervegas
11/13/2009, 12:35 PM
Maybe TV revenue is completely to blame for the state of college football, and no individual university no matter how much one may dislike them is anywhere near powerful enough to destroy everything.

Oh no you didn't! (Arrogant Texas Fan)

NormanPride
11/13/2009, 12:50 PM
I still say D1 needs to be pared down to about 60 teams.

rawlingsHOH
11/13/2009, 01:00 PM
It is certainly being officiated by the old SWC.

Scott D
11/13/2009, 05:38 PM
Rawlings has a great point, but Fan's point in the past was how too much of the leadership in the Big XII offices were either SWC based, or too many ties to Texas was a valid point.

I really think the bigger problems are the 85 scholarships and the limits to walk ons which while Texas may have played a role in some of those changes, they weren't the only voice at that table that got those changes enacted.

GimmeRed
11/13/2009, 06:05 PM
There were certainly a lot of 11-1 votes back when this was all being done. A lot of Tom Osborne's predictions have come true. I'm sure nothing would give him more satisfaction then Nebraska knocking Texas out of the National Championship game this year.

One of the things he tried to remind everyone was every time 2 Big XII teams play is one of them loses. He really wanted to keep 4 non-conference games back when there was an 11 game schedule and do a rotating schedule like the Big Televen.

Flagstaffsooner
11/13/2009, 06:24 PM
It is certainly being officiated by the old SWC.Yup, same old crooks. ie Jon Bible.:mad:

bluedogok
11/13/2009, 11:56 PM
Also, the Big 12 defenses were pretty much exposed in the bowl games last year.
I think officiating had something to do with that, in the Big 12 a DB would get a Pass Interference flag for breathing on a receiver, when watching other leagues and the bowl games most other officials just didn't call the secondary play that closely. It was hard to adjust when you had been flagged all season for getting near a receiver. They haven't been calling it like that this year, so evidently it was a "point of emphasis" to not call them as much.

It is certainly being officiated by the old SWC.

Yup, same old crooks. ie Jon Bible.:mad:
Not like it used to since they merged a few different conferences officials to enlarge the pool. I don't recall seeing Bible or Cristal doing a Big 12 game on TV this season, maybe they are stuck doing MWC or C-USA games.

PDXsooner
11/14/2009, 12:03 AM
did the last 9 years not just happen? i mean, come on! we were a goal line stand away from being national champs last year!

florida lost 4 games in '07, LSU lost 5 last year, bama is 2 years removed from a train wreck, texas was in the alamo bowl a few years ago, ohio state had a 4 loss season or two, michigan is in the crapper right now -- IT IS CYCLICAL!

we'll pull out of it next year, and then someone will pull this thread up and we'll all laugh at how many people panicked...

ouduckhunter
11/14/2009, 01:05 PM
Fire the commissioner!!!

Off with his head!!

rawlingsHOH
11/14/2009, 05:11 PM
Not like it used to since they merged a few different conferences officials to enlarge the pool. I don't recall seeing Bible or Cristal doing a Big 12 game on TV this season, maybe they are stuck doing MWC or C-USA games.

Maybe their poor grades are finally catching up to them. Perhaps delegated to the Baylor and ISU games.